PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2008

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Insomniac
09-04-08, 03:59 PM
It kicks off tonight. Anyone excited? I'm lacking any excitement for the Patriots personally.

And to lead things off, it's official:

"Effective today, the Bengals begin the process of listing the former Chad Johnson as Chad Ocho Cinco for all club business, per the legal change of his surname effected in Florida. The list of appropriate changes will include the player wearing the name Ocho Cinco on the back of his jersey for Sunday's season opener at Baltimore.

Hello Jersey Sales!

Stu
09-04-08, 04:12 PM
It kicks off tonight. Anyone excited? I'm lacking any excitement for the Patriots personally.

And to lead things off, it's official:

Hello Jersey Sales!

if the bengals had any balls they would make him change his number to 86

Insomniac
09-04-08, 04:15 PM
if the bengals had any balls they would make him change his number to 86

You mean the team that brought back Chris Henry? :D

dando
09-04-08, 05:47 PM
Meh. Ya'll know it's not really foosball season until green 'n yeller....errr, I mean Green & White Jeebus takes the field, yo. :gomer: I don't get into pro foosball until the weather cools and I'm stuck inside. Until then, college foosball rules the roost. :thumbup: That being said, I'll be watching tonight.

Speaking of college foosball, who's the rack E$PN has on College Football Live? I caught a bit of the show yesterday @ BWs. Yowsa! :thumbup:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-04-08, 06:07 PM
GO G'INTS!!!!

dando
09-04-08, 06:12 PM
GO G'INTS!!!!

Damn. That reminds me....GO SKINS!!!11!!!1! :gomer:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
09-05-08, 08:30 AM
It kicks off tonight. Anyone excited?

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Bills this year. The defense should again be stellar, as Poz is back and they added Kawika Mitchell. I just hope the offense finds itself again. They need to put up more than 20 touchdowns in a season if they want to have a shot at the playoffs.

Don Quixote
09-05-08, 08:55 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Bills this year. This is what Browns fans and Bills fans have in common.

Andrew Longman
09-05-08, 09:23 AM
GO G'INTS!!!!

Looked a little rusty but both lines were physical and dominant last night and they can always build around that :thumbup:

Ankf00
09-05-08, 12:15 PM
Looked a little rusty but both lines were physical and dominant last night and they can always build around that :thumbup:

this. a. ross step for step with moss makes me :) Evil Roy would be 20 yards behind him :gomer:

pchall
09-05-08, 08:07 PM
41 hours to the kick off for another season of Bungledumb. Just shoot me now.

dando
09-05-08, 08:33 PM
41 hours to the kick off for another season of Bungledumb. Just shoot me now.

I like their chance weeks 1, 2 and 4. Week 3 and 5 not so much. :( I see them @ 4-4 @ the midpoint. 9-7 may win the north this season, and they have 5 winnable game in the second half.

PB's 100th birthday is Sunday. If the NFL had any brains, the game would be a homer for Cincy. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

racermike
09-06-08, 12:33 PM
I noticed "the Swami" picked the Seahawks and Colts to be in the Super Bowl this year.

Speaking of Seahawks, there is a new Sports bar one block from Qwest Field called "The Hawks Nest". I was there for the grand opening before the Seahawks/Bears preseason game, and low and behold, yesterday they had ad online and in paper with me in the photo. (I am in the white jersey)

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/6673/hawksnestadqv0.jpg

Stu
09-06-08, 12:55 PM
all i want this year is a team to go 0-16. don't even care if its the browns.

nrc
09-06-08, 04:04 PM
all i want this year is a team to go 0-16. don't even care if its the browns.

Why?

Stu
09-06-08, 05:34 PM
Why?

cuz it'd be awesome. :p

WickerBill
09-06-08, 05:58 PM
Only if it's the Jets.

pchall
09-07-08, 12:36 PM
Only if it's the Jets.

What? You havent' put your BrieHead on and started rooting for the NY Bretts? :eek:

BTW, I just figured out that the new head coach of the Ravens is a former student of mine. Another chance to root against John "Why do I need to learn this? I'm a football player!" Harbaugh. :irked:

dando
09-07-08, 04:34 PM
I noticed "the Swami" picked the Seahawks and Colts to be in the Super Bowl this year.[/IMG]

Umm, yeah. :saywhat: I hope the beer was cold @ the new watering hole.

-Kevin

nrc
09-07-08, 05:00 PM
Umm, yeah. :saywhat: I hope the beer was cold @ the new watering hole.

-Kevin

I guess we can take solace in the fact that the Bengals dismal performance was no surprise. :irked:

dando
09-07-08, 05:17 PM
I guess we can take solace in the fact that the Bengals dismal performance was no surprise. :irked:

:shakehead :saywhat:

My God that was teh suck, and on PB's 100th to boot. :thumdown: :irked:

-Kevin

Insomniac
09-07-08, 05:22 PM
Only if it's the Jets.

Well, that won't happen now.

Insomniac
09-07-08, 05:23 PM
OK, this is ridiculous. T.O. celebrates by doing the sprinter's stance and that's excessive celebration.

WickerBill
09-07-08, 05:32 PM
It *is* ridiculous. If it isn't taunting, doesn't damage the field, and takes less than 10 seconds, it should be allowed... period. Someone remind the NFL that this is entertainment....

TKGAngel
09-07-08, 05:34 PM
Tom Brady's knee is going to be the most watched body part in the NFL these next few days.

The Bills game today was great. Loved the fake field goal that resulted in the Moorman to Denney touchdown pass.

dando
09-07-08, 05:36 PM
If it isn't taunting, doesn't damage the field, and takes less than 10 seconds, it should be allowed... period. Someone remind the NFL that this is entertainment....

Ocho Cinco? ;)

NFL == No Fun League :mad:

One wonders what whould happen now if the Ickey Shuffle happened. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Insomniac
09-07-08, 05:42 PM
Ocho Cinco? ;)

NFL == No Fun League :mad:

One wonders what whould happen now if the Ickey Shuffle happened. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Did he spike the ball after doing the shuffle?

WickerBill
09-07-08, 05:54 PM
I thought that even when Ickey was doing it, the NFL outlawed it and he started doing it on the sidelines after scoring.

Stupid.

Andrew Longman
09-07-08, 06:21 PM
It *is* ridiculous. If it isn't taunting, doesn't damage the field, and takes less than 10 seconds, it should be allowed... period. Someone remind the NFL that this is entertainment....

Sorry Boss. Even though former Giant Homer Jones started all this crap with the spike, if I were a coach or even a teammate, I would (and have) squashed all this crap. Any score is the result of teamwork going back month in preparation and practice. You want to hand the ball to the Center to spike fine, but none of this crap guys like TO do does one thing to score the next score or win the game. As a fan of the sport and as someone who has played an knows how winning happens, I find it a huge (but admittedly humorous) distraction.

WickerBill
09-07-08, 08:11 PM
Then lets banish dunking. Basketball's a team sport and that's not very nice to hog those highlights for yourself and make your opponents feel bad.

In this instance, I'm a fan and I watch to be entertained. If I dislike Terrell Owens because he showboats, then fine -- I have a villain to hate and I'll keep watching! You root for a guy or against a guy for that stuff. They're turning the league into an electric football table where the only way you can tell people apart is their number. Bah.

Insomniac
09-07-08, 08:45 PM
Sorry Boss. Even though former Giant Homer Jones started all this crap with the spike, if I were a coach or even a teammate, I would (and have) squashed all this crap. Any score is the result of teamwork going back month in preparation and practice. You want to hand the ball to the Center to spike fine, but none of this crap guys like TO do does one thing to score the next score or win the game. As a fan of the sport and as someone who has played an knows how winning happens, I find it a huge (but admittedly humorous) distraction.

The NFL banned team celebrations too. What's wrong with the team celebrating their accomplishment?

pchall
09-07-08, 08:49 PM
The NFL banned team celebrations too. What's wrong with the team celebrating their accomplishment?

That crap stretches the games beyond their 4:15 alloted air time. :laugh:

Paul Brown had the best line about celebrating after a TD: "Act like you've been there before, son." -- as recounted by Bob Trumpy

Andrew Longman
09-07-08, 09:01 PM

Until the final gun of the game and in many cases the final gun of the championship game, they haven't done donk. But let me be clear, I think the team, coach and teammates should not allow it. And fans that want their team to focus on the things that will help them win should boo it. If the league wants fans to take the basic essences of the team seriously, they can not allow it.

I have no problem with dunking though. It is part of the act of scoring and in many case the surest way to score. And if you at tall and talented enough, and your team good enough to get you the ball, then dunk away.

But then I think basketball should be tackle, not require dribbling and played on turf.:gomer::gomer:

Methanolandbrats
09-07-08, 09:04 PM
But then I think basketball should be tackle, not require dribbling and played on turf.:gomer::gomer: Except for the turf part, you just described the NBA playoffs :thumbup:

Insomniac
09-07-08, 09:07 PM
Until the final gun of the game and in many cases the final gun of the championship game, they haven't done donk. But let me be clear, I think the team, coach and teammates should not allow it. And fans that want their team to focus on the things that will help them win should boo it. If the league wants fans to take the basic essences of the team seriously, they can not allow it.

I have no problem with dunking though. It is part of the act of scoring and in many case the surest way to score. And if you at tall and talented enough, and your team good enough to get you the ball, then dunk away.

But then I think basketball should be tackle, not require dribbling and played on turf.:gomer::gomer:

My goodness, it's just a game!

Ankf00
09-07-08, 09:09 PM

ok there Parcells, O-linemen == buzzkill :gomer:

Andrew Longman
09-07-08, 09:38 PM
My goodness, it's just a game!

Not to get all melodramatic, but there are intelligent/scholarlyt people who seriously thought at the time that the reason the German and Japanese military machines lost to American citizen soldiers was because they didn't play high scholl football.

OK that may be over the top, but until you've done two-a-days for the month of August, practice five days a week for three hours to ouly play once a week (and as a player likely not play at all). lost a lot as a team, and learned the dedication and teamwork required to beat even the lowliest opponent, you just don't know what the game is all about.

(In my best NFL Films voice) Football more than any other sport requires self sacrifice, dedication, teamwork, fear management, unbridled violence, and mental smarts and toughness. As a game played by high schooler and younger, it is about building character, seriousness, clarity of purpose, and the responsibiloities of men. Showboating insults all of that.

But I played seriously and competitively from age 11 -40. I've probably had 15 concussions so I'm surely delusional.

(full disclosure. my youngest (9) played his first football game today. It came out of the blue when he asked to play. I never pushed it or even brought it up, and I would never make the above speech to him. That's for his coaches. They lost today, but he loved it.)

Ankf00
09-07-08, 10:05 PM
I think the last cause of failure I'd attribute to the japanese side would be one of dedication & fealty

Insomniac
09-07-08, 10:09 PM
Not to get all melodramatic, but there are intelligent/scholarlyt people who seriously thought at the time that the reason the German and Japanese military machines lost to American citizen soldiers was because they didn't play high scholl football.

OK that may be over the top, but until you've done two-a-days for the month of August, practice five days a week for three hours to ouly play once a week (and as a player likely not play at all). lost a lot as a team, and learned the dedication and teamwork required to beat even the lowliest opponent, you just don't know what the game is all about.

(In my best NFL Films voice) Football more than any other sport requires self sacrifice, dedication, teamwork, fear management, unbridled violence, and mental smarts and toughness. As a game played by high schooler and younger, it is about building character, seriousness, clarity of purpose, and the responsibiloities of men. Showboating insults all of that.

But I played seriously and competitively from age 11 -40. I've probably had 15 concussions so I'm surely delusional.

(full disclosure. my youngest (9) played his first football game today. It came out of the blue when he asked to play. I never pushed it or even brought it up, and I would never make the above speech to him. That's for his coaches. They lost today, but he loved it.)

I understand and appreciate what you are saying. I've played team sports. But I disagree that celebrating takes away from that. In the majority of cases, do you see other teammates upset at celebrating? I do think there is a line in celebrating that takes it too far, but I don't see it as disrespectful in most cases.

Andrew Longman
09-08-08, 08:02 AM
In the majority of cases, do you see other teammates upset at celebrating?

Depends on when you are talking about. When I played in HS and college 35 years ago (damn I'm an old fart) absolutely. If a receiver styled and trash talked after making an 7 yard catch, he'd hear it from the guy who just got destroyed picking up the blitz so the QB could even make the call. Its 3rd and three and that catch means nothing unless we get the 1st down on the next play. Get in the huddle, shut up and do as the QB says.

But it's changed. When I quit playing 8 years ago, my last few year had been spent trying to get players much younger than me to shut up. I earned a lot of respect from teammates and they experienced the winning greater focus brings, but eventually it just became like trying to take 11 three-year olds to the ballet. Short attention spans. They see this crap on TV and they think that's how the game is played.

At the pro level the stuff is tolerated by teammates because they are all there to make as much money as they can as fast as they can and the culture is to not get in each others' way. They all know that crap is encouraged by agents to help get Sportcenter moments that help with contracts and endorsements.

There are obvious exceptions though. My local HS team doesn't tolerate it. And I don't see it in many of their opponents. And the officials take a tighter reign than the NFL. All of which I think is important because kids shouldn't be playing football to draw attention to themselves and get better endorsement deals. They should do it to become better men and people... In case we ever have to take on the Germans again. :gomer:

Stu
09-08-08, 08:24 AM
more important than talking about these stupid celebrations, we now have 14 contenders for the Defeated Dream Season:

Miami
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Jacksonville
Houston
Indianapolis
San Diego
Kansas City
Washington
Detroit
Tampa Bay
San Francisco
Seattle
St. Louis

2 more will be added tonight.

Insomniac
09-08-08, 08:52 AM
Depends on when you are talking about. When I played in HS and college 35 years ago (damn I'm an old fart) absolutely. If a receiver styled and trash talked after making an 7 yard catch, he'd hear it from the guy who just got destroyed picking up the blitz so the QB could even make the call. Its 3rd and three and that catch means nothing unless we get the 1st down on the next play. Get in the huddle, shut up and do as the QB says.

But it's changed. When I quit playing 8 years ago, my last few year had been spent trying to get players much younger than me to shut up. I earned a lot of respect from teammates and they experienced the winning greater focus brings, but eventually it just became like trying to take 11 three-year olds to the ballet. Short attention spans. They see this crap on TV and they think that's how the game is played.

At the pro level the stuff is tolerated by teammates because they are all there to make as much money as they can as fast as they can and the culture is to not get in each others' way. They all know that crap is encouraged by agents to help get Sportcenter moments that help with contracts and endorsements.

There are obvious exceptions though. My local HS team doesn't tolerate it. And I don't see it in many of their opponents. And the officials take a tighter reign than the NFL. All of which I think is important because kids shouldn't be playing football to draw attention to themselves and get better endorsement deals. They should do it to become better men and people... In case we ever have to take on the Germans again. :gomer:

I'm talking about celebrations after a TD. Not every catch that some idiot makes. I mean, T.O. got down in a sprinter's stance and that was a penalty. It wasn't jack-assy, boorish or over-the-top. Sure, it wasn't spontaneous, but this is getting ridiculous. They allow some celebrations (Lambeau Leap) that waste more time than what T.O. did. The commentators claimed it was because he put his hands on the ground. Seriously?

Scoring a TD is generally a big deal. There are times to celebrate, and times not to celebrate it. If you're down 35-0 and you score a TD, you're an idiot for celebrating and your team will call you out for it. In fact, I think a lot of teams call out behavior that is over the top, and it's the player's/teams who didn't that have made this into the nonsense we see now.

Stu
09-08-08, 08:54 AM
What? You havent' put your BrieHead on and started rooting for the NY Bretts? :eek:

BTW, I just figured out that the new head coach of the Ravens is a former student of mine. Another chance to root against John "Why do I need to learn this? I'm a football player!" Harbaugh. :irked:

he seems do be doing pretty well for himself despite his disinterest in your class.

IlliniRacer
09-08-08, 09:05 AM
"With the first pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams select. . ."

<sigh> :shakehead

WickerBill
09-08-08, 09:45 AM
Rams really did look horrible yesterday.

But hey, if they beat the 1-15 last year Dolphins, barely, even though the Dolphins were starting a QB that wasn't even good enough for them last year, they will be hailed as HEEEROOOEEESSS and lead every sports segment!

Insomniac
09-08-08, 03:23 PM
Brady on IR. Knee surgery. Hit was legal. (I diasgree with that though. It wasn't dirty, but if Wilfork's hit last year on Losman was a penalty and fine, no way that was legal.)

So...go Matt Cassell...:confused:...go defense and running game...

TKGAngel
09-08-08, 03:31 PM
All of which I think is important because kids shouldn't be playing football to draw attention to themselves and get better endorsement deals.

Not to continue to beat this dead horse, but a lot of kids to play football to draw attention to themselves. They want that college scholarship.

Brady on IR. Knee surgery. Hit was legal. (I diasgree with that though. It wasn't dirty, but if Wilfork's hit last year on Losman was a penalty and fine, no way that was legal.)

So...go Matt Cassell...:confused:...go defense and running game...

And the AFC East just got a heck of a lot more interesting.

A local reporter is saying that the Pats have brought / will be bringing Chris Simms in for a tryout.

Ankf00
09-08-08, 03:43 PM
matt cassel gets to play for the top team of the decade as a 3rd string qb in college drafted in the 7th ground.

not too shabby

Insomniac
09-08-08, 03:56 PM
And the AFC East just got a heck of a lot more interesting.

A local reporter is saying that the Pats have brought / will be bringing Chris Simms in for a tryout.

Belichick just now said:

In spite of what some people are putting out there, we haven’t worked out a quarterback or given a physical. Believe me, we had a lot of people call us. Despite what people are saying, it’s simply not true.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The bandwagon is clearing out for sure. :)

Insomniac
09-08-08, 05:38 PM
Interesting article with regards to Brady's injury's impact on fantasy football.

Brady's loss to those fantasy owners could shift about $150 million in fantasy league winnings from those who had Brady to those that didn't
http://www.cnbc.com/id/26608023

dando
09-08-08, 07:54 PM
Jeebus! I've never seen a flag fest like this. 10 penalties just into the 2nd Q. :eek: :saywhat: :shakehead

EDIT: so were there more Favre mention or penalties? :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
09-08-08, 08:41 PM
matt cassel gets to play for the top team of the decade as a 3rd string qb in college drafted in the 7th ground.

not too shabby

First start since HS 10 years ago. :saywhat:

-Kevin

stroker
09-08-08, 10:29 PM
is it just me or are these ESPN announcers almost as annoying as Cosell? Jeebus, they suck ass.

dando
09-08-08, 10:53 PM
is it just me or are these ESPN announcers almost as annoying as Cosell? Jeebus, they suck ass.

I don't mind the main crew, but my expectations are pretty low. Mike & Mike & Mike OTOH need to stick to their day jobs. :saywhat: :yuck: :shakehead

I generally like their shtick in the AM, but stay away from calling games. Please. :irked:

-Kevin

Stu
09-09-08, 06:32 AM
espn is saying Favre is probably kicking himself right now for not waiting. he'd be a patriot today had he been more patient.

JLMannin
09-09-08, 09:04 AM
espn is saying Favre is probably kicking himself right now for not waiting. he'd be a patriot today had he been more patient.

He could have been the Roberto Moreno of the NFL! :cool:

Insomniac
09-09-08, 10:14 AM

I doubt it. They wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder for Favre for one year and pay him $12M. (They don't even have the cap room right now.) I'm not saying Cassel is better, but the cost is too high just to make the playoffs (which they could still do with Cassel).

dando
09-09-08, 12:07 PM
More VY funness.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3577597

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Nashville police were asked to search for Vince Young on Monday evening after family members placed a call to the Tennessee Titans informing them of their concern for the quarterback's state of mind.

According to Nashville Metro Police spokesman Don Aaron, Young "abruptly" left his home in Williamson County at around 7 p.m. Monday without his cell phone. Those with him at his home, including family members, were "concerned with his emotional well-being," Aaron said.

Do they have a nutcase class/degree in Austin? :laugh: :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
09-09-08, 12:08 PM
I doubt it. They wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder for Favre for one year and pay him $12M. (They don't even have the cap room right now.) I'm not saying Cassel is better, but the cost is too high just to make the playoffs (which they could still do with Cassel).

IMO, picking up the O alone @ this point would be unpossible.

-Kevin

Tony George
09-09-08, 12:25 PM
More VY funness.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3577597

Do they have a nutcase class/degree in Austin? :laugh: :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

He will feel much better after he beats up on the hapless Bengals this weekend. :tony:

dando
09-09-08, 12:41 PM
He will feel much better after he beats up on the hapless Bengals this weekend. :tony:

He's out for 2-4 weeks. The Titans chances of winning just increased 10x :gomer: :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-09-08, 01:07 PM
he's been sucking it up worse than sexy rexy this year, but wtf is up calling cops b/c you leave home w/o your cell phone? :saywhat:

kerry collins 0-4 start leading to VY taking over disagrees with your take next week. :gomer: titans are all D & ground game w/ the qb's and wr's they have

dando
09-09-08, 01:13 PM
he's been sucking it up worse than sexy rexy this year, but wtf is up calling cops b/c you leave home w/o your cell phone? :saywhat:

According to Nashville Metro Police spokesman Don Aaron, Young "abruptly" left his home in Williamson County at around 7 p.m. Monday without his cell phone. Those with him at his home, including family members, were "concerned with his emotional well-being," Aaron said.

He prolly needs to spend some time w/Ricky. ;) El Cid, VY, Ricky...jeebus y'all are looney down there. :p

K. Collins' QB rating == 118 after week 1. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-09-08, 01:20 PM
K. Collins' QB rating == 118 after week 1. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

yea, his 2 for 2 stat line screams "Steve Young's record"

Insomniac
09-09-08, 01:27 PM
IMO, picking up the O alone @ this point would be unpossible.

-Kevin

Belichick said 4 weeks to get the playbook down at least. And the QB has to be able to read defenses pre-snap and post-snap. So Culpepper is out. I think for now, they prefer who they have to who they could try and get up to speed. My guess is the calls to Rattay and Simms were made before halftime. Then Cassel didn't suck like he did in the pre-season and they reviewed the film and weren't sick (despite the weird throwing motion).

dando
09-10-08, 01:00 PM
It's hilarious to listen to the talking heads that had all jumped on the VY bandwagon dis him now. :laugh: Poor Vince:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3579504

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The mother of Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young said he's "hurting inside and out" and indicated he might not want to play football any longer.

Felicia Young said in Wednesday editions of The Tennessean that her son is tired of all of the negativity he's faced after being booed during a 17-10 win Sunday over Jacksonville.

Grow a nut, yo. :shakehead

Mebbe Ricky's ashram can help. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-10-08, 02:11 PM
yea it's pretty pathetic. fool needs to sac up.

Don Quixote
09-10-08, 02:50 PM
He plays in Tennessee. How would he deal with NYC, or Philly?

dando
09-10-08, 04:17 PM
He plays in Tennessee. How would he deal with NYC, or Philly?

Perhaps he's still suffering being knocked out by Hawk on 9/10/05? ;) He's certainly living up to his Wonderlic score. :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-10-08, 05:21 PM
Ricky smokes bowls and VY is feeling down.

Still not in the same universe as OJ, Seeker of Justice, or Mossad Agent MC13

Don Quixote
09-10-08, 06:40 PM
Also, let the record reflect that Dando, a Bungles fan, is making comments regarding flakey players on other teams. :laugh: :p

dando
09-10-08, 06:51 PM
Also, let the record reflect that Dando, a Bungles fan, is making comments regarding flakey players on other teams. :laugh: :p

But not over-hyped, under-achieving players, yo. The nut cases from AUS are quite well documented. El Cid, Ricky, and VY == high 1st round rejects :laugh:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-10-08, 08:39 PM
Ricky == best player on the team according to Parcells
VY == playoffs 2nd year at the helm w/ a WR corps that would be lucky to make a CFL roster

I can see how they can't compare to a guy who was too good to play CFB in his own mind, quit training camp twice b/c it was too tough and then ran around as errand boy for a mobster :gomer:

Meanwhile Leinart, the supposed Pro-Ready QB, can't beat out a 94 yo, and the transcendent once-in-a-generation Son of Zeus is poor man's Eric Metcalf.

over-hyped my ass, but hey, at least you got the bungles!

and el ced can piss up rope, spoiled brat, horrible teammate, got what's coming, too bad he made a gazillion dollars in the process

WickerBill
09-10-08, 08:59 PM
He's terrible, ank.

dando
09-10-08, 09:17 PM
over-hyped my ass, but hey, at least you got the bungles!

:laugh: :rofl:

So Weedy leads the NFL in rushing for like a season or two (takes a few seasons off), VY 'leads' the Titans to the playoffs (primarily due to Fisher and the D), and El Cid is a total wash out. :rofl:

Dude. Srsly. :laugh: x11

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-11-08, 12:49 AM
He's terrible, ank.

this year he has been, indeed.

last year he was alright despite a WR squad that was better suited playing for Ohio State.

Ankf00
09-11-08, 12:51 AM
:laugh: :rofl:

So Weedy leads the NFL in rushing for like a season or two (takes a few seasons off), VY 'leads' the Titans to the playoffs (primarily due to Fisher and the D), and El Cid is a total wash out. :rofl:

Dude. Srsly. :laugh: x11

-Kevin

all 3 made it through camp, more than one can say for C-bus poster boy Mo-reeece. :gomer:

nothing changes your past pimping of Leinert and Bush, one who can't even grab the starting spot from a geriatric, and the other who s a #2 pick playing decoy. yet radio's the one voted team captain, total bust after just 2 seasons :laugh:

Insomniac
09-11-08, 08:08 AM
this year he has been, indeed.

last year he was alright despite a WR squad that was better suited playing for Ohio State.

You could make the same excuses for Michael Vick up to this point. It's an unfair comparison for only his 3rd year, but the best QBs make their WRs better. I'd be more concerned that he contemplated retirement after his first year and reportedly didn't want to get back in the game Sunday (before the injury). I can't see how if you feel that way about your job, how you'll be very good at it.

WickerBill
09-11-08, 09:08 AM
Unless you're a Bronco fan or a Bronco hater, you probably can't name Elway's receivers the first 10 years of his career. Do you remember more than one receiver Jim Kelly had?

On the flip side, would the names Duper and Clayton mean anything if they hadn't had a superstar QB throwing to them, or would they have been mediocre? Did Brady suck when he was throwing to a really poor crop of receivers in 2006?

On another flip side, did Rex Grossman turn into Roger Staubach when he got Muhsin Muhammad? Did Randy Moss turn Aaron Brooks into Joe Montana?

Young's no good. Don't blame his tools.

TKGAngel
09-11-08, 09:55 AM
Do you remember more than one receiver Jim Kelly had?

Andre Reed, James Lofton and Don Beebe. Lofton is in the HOF and Reed is a strong candidate caught in the "there's a lot of good receivers coming eligible at the same time" glut.

What? You asked.

Its not good for VY to have his mama fight his battles in the media for him. Its not something that his teammates nor opponents are going to let him forget. And his reaction to the first real criticism he's ever faced shows that he might not react to that well either.

WickerBill
09-11-08, 10:35 AM
You live in Buffalo! Not fair.

dando
09-11-08, 12:00 PM
Unless you're a Bronco fan or a Bronco hater, you probably can't name Elway's receivers the first 10 years of his career. Do you remember more than one receiver Jim Kelly had?

On the flip side, would the names Duper and Clayton mean anything if they hadn't had a superstar QB throwing to them, or would they have been mediocre? Did Brady suck when he was throwing to a really poor crop of receivers in 2006?

On another flip side, did Rex Grossman turn into Roger Staubach when he got Muhsin Muhammad? Did Randy Moss turn Aaron Brooks into Joe Montana?

OTOH, having great WRs certainly helped Bradshaw to be an HoF QB with rather average talent and below average IQ (in addition to a miracle and the Steel Curtain D).

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-11-08, 12:12 PM

Deion Branch and Chad Jackson are light years beyond Roydell Williams and Brandon Jones. Bills Don Beebe (god I hope he burns) and Andre Reed.

Again, Young's been horrible this year. Again, the Titans WRs drop passes at a ridiculous rate. Not even talking routes, breaking out of jams, getting open, talking passes to their hands.

Again, Young's been horrible this year, and there's been plenty of no name WR casts that have gotten it done. My criticism of the WRs isn't that they're holding the team b/c just b/c they're no name, my criticism is that they drop far too many passes to be starting in the NFL.

Never said Young was a guaranteed superstar, or that he'd even end up starter quality, just that he has as good a shot as any. He had a lot of rollouts w/ only half field reads in school, he also had plenty of pocket passing w/ the Colts' playbook. '06 Titans started 0-4 w/ Collins and went 8-6 w/ Young after that. His stats were mediocre last year but he was leading key drives for wins in close games down the stretch to get into the playoffs. He may pan out, he may become a bust, he's certainly not a bust already although the 37% comp rate has him on the fast track there

Don Quixote
09-11-08, 12:56 PM
I hope the guy is successful. It seems that QB's achieve success in the NFL based more on mental toughness than pure physical skills. The kid needs a mentor to work on the head stuff. And his mom need to stfu.

WickerBill
09-11-08, 02:14 PM
Ank - that's reasonable, and reasonable to think he'd be in the 40s, percentage-wise, if his receivers could catch.

They seem to be forcing him to be a pure pocket passer though, or rollout guy, vs. a threat to run on every play. That's kinda dumb.

Ankf00
09-11-08, 03:14 PM
Chow was the wrong guy to have on board. Chow wanted to force him into a pocket/rollout role you describe, run 1st, run 2nd, throw 3rd.

Current OC Heimerdinger was the OC when they had McNair, which is good for Young. McNair's now in Nashville so he has his long-time mentor around, again good for him. It's also why this season reflects especially poorly on him, despite his WRs.

Insomniac
09-11-08, 03:33 PM
Deion Branch and Chad Jackson are light years beyond Roydell Williams and Brandon Jones.

As the in-house Pats fan, Deion Branch held out and was traded in 2006. Brady was throeing to Reche Caldwell (I don't think it's a coincidence that was his best year (http://www.nfl.com/players/rechecaldwell/profile?id=CAL277848) or that he's out of football now.), Chad Jackson (13 receptions (http://www.nfl.com/players/chadjackson/profile?id=JAC060374) and out of football), Doug Gabriel (cut during the season (http://www.nfl.com/players/douggabriel/profile?id=GAB606060) and out of football, Troy Brown (aging (http://www.nfl.com/players/troybrown/profile?id=BRO741336), but still had the ability to create separation and extremely reliable) and Jabar Gaffney (still with the Pats (http://www.nfl.com/players/jabargaffney/profile?id=GAF203145) and he stepped it up in the playoffs). They made it to the AFC championship that year.

But, I didn't bring up Brady and the 2006 WR group because it's not fair to compare Brady to VY.

Ankf00
09-12-08, 10:46 PM
so the eventual VY interview shows that he just went to McNair's place to get away from al the ppl that were showing up at his house after the game to just clear his head and watch monday night football...

and now sports center is advertising "the VY suicide note?!?"

wtf?

dando
09-13-08, 09:57 AM
so the eventual VY interview shows that he just went to McNair's place to get away from al the ppl that were showing up at his house after the game to just clear his head and watch monday night football...

and now sports center is advertising "the VY suicide note?!?"

wtf?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584636

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans called police for help searching for Vince Young because his therapist told coach Jeff Fisher the quarterback mentioned suicide several times before driving away from his home with a gun.

Both Fisher and Young have said what happened Monday night was overblown by the media. But the supplemental report filed Tuesday by Nashville police showed that Fisher was worried what his quarterback might be doing after the call from Young's therapist.

"I asked him, 'What made her worry about him?' " Lt. Andrea Swisher wrote. "He stated, 'His mood, his emotions, he wants to quit, and he mentioned suicide several times.' He went on to state that he left the house with a gun."

:(

-Kevin

WickerBill
09-13-08, 11:45 AM
What does everyone think about the uproar over Allianz trying to get naming rights to the new Meadowlands? For those not reading up on it, they were an insurance company that insured Nazi death camps during WWII.

Obviously, the company is contrite, I'm highly doubting any of the management remains, and they appear to be a pretty good corporate citizen.

Thoughts?

Ankf00
09-13-08, 12:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584636

:(

-Kevin

:eek::\

dando
09-13-08, 12:10 PM
What does everyone think about the uproar over Allianz trying to get naming rights to the new Meadowlands? For those not reading up on it, they were an insurance company that insured Nazi death camps during WWII.

Obviously, the company is contrite, I'm highly doubting any of the management remains, and they appear to be a pretty good corporate citizen.

Thoughts?

$$$ is $$$. BMW, etc. have a history of Nazi support as well, but I sure do see a bunch of Bimmers around town. IMO, no big deal. Anywhere but NYC and it's not a big deal.

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-13-08, 12:58 PM
don't hippies have better things to do?

60 years ago, mgmt is obviously changed, and deutche companies are very contrite about that specific history.

nrc
09-13-08, 05:35 PM

My first thought is, "You need insurance for a death camp?"

Unless there's some reason to tie current ownership, management, or business practices to those things, then it's purely an emotional issue. People who suffered direct harm from those acts have a right to be emotional about them. Then it's everyone else's choice whether we want to respect that or whether it's time that people should move on.

In this case, I think I can understand survivors and and their immediate family being angry. It may take another generation for that wound to heal. After that, I think it becomes wallowing in your history (c.f. "slavery reparations").

WickerBill
09-13-08, 08:12 PM
I don't see how a company with that history keeps the same name. Surely some of the hurt would come to closure if the company said "We no longer wish to be associated with this name"... don't ya think?

Methanolandbrats
09-13-08, 09:44 PM

Thoughts? Tell the JDL, ADL or whoever is bitching to go **** themselves. Current company has nothing to do with 70 years ago. Henry Ford was a nazi, should Ford be run out of business? It's just stupid.

Insomniac
09-13-08, 10:38 PM
I don't see how a company with that history keeps the same name. Surely some of the hurt would come to closure if the company said "We no longer wish to be associated with this name"... don't ya think?

Personally, I didn't know the history of the company until this happened. I believe they are much better known in Europe though. I'd say if you protest the company now, you protest it regardless of its name. If not, that's not much of a principle you're standing on, right?

cameraman
09-13-08, 11:57 PM
They are a major sponsor of F1.

http://www.allianz.com/en/allianz_group/sponsoring/formula_1/index1.html

I didn't notice anyone picketing the USGP. The argument is stupid. Boycotting all things German after 60+ years is ridiculous.

Stu
09-15-08, 08:58 AM
After week 2,

AFC teams still defeated:

Bengals
Dolphins
Browns
Chargers
Jaguars
Chiefs
Texans

NFC teams still defeated:

Lions
Seahawks
Vikings
Rams

Andrew Longman
09-15-08, 09:43 AM
What does everyone think about the uproar over Allianz trying to get naming rights to the new Meadowlands?

I wouldn't exactly call it an uproar. The local papers gave it a couple of inches of type in the sports page. A couple of groups were making noise over it.

In the end the Mara's and Tisch's generally are very concerned about their fans and public opinion (Wellington was in particular. It killed him to see fans burning their tickets back in the 70s and never took fans for granted), so they stepped away from the negotiation.

The short of it is they can get any number of companies to pay $25 million a year without risking alienating even a few fans. Some might see that as cowardly, but the Mara's are in the business of football and keeping their fans happy, not social causes.

Now if they could just get someone to pay $100 million a year so they can drop the ridiculous PSL they stuck on their fans. Wellington would never have done that.