PDA

View Full Version : Reunited...

Gnam
09-03-08, 08:27 PM
What the AV gods have joined, let no man put asunder.

Directv and Tivo to put out HD box. :thumbup:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hfeWhR7NR2bMcNgraw9iZyBZuRdAD92VFQ0G0

Ankf00
09-03-08, 08:36 PM
answer yoru PMs fool

WickerBill
09-03-08, 08:40 PM
I'm kind of expecting Israel and Palestine to come to an accord now...

nissan gtp
09-03-08, 08:51 PM
woo hoo :thumbup:

Insomniac
09-03-08, 08:56 PM
$300, $400?

eiregosod
09-03-08, 09:31 PM
I'm kind of expecting Israel and Palestine to come to an accord now...

They agree that everything goes well with wrapped bacon. :cool:

nrc
09-04-08, 01:38 AM
Ha. Better late than never. We're happy with WOW cable and our TiVo S3. Hopefully they're serious about providing a full set of TiVo features but I can't see them opening up to competition like Amazon On Demand. It will be nice to have another option once it's available.

It might be fun to see how much I can torment them by working out sweet "come back" deals and then letting them down because they screwed me out of $2.98 on our final bill.

cameraman
09-04-08, 01:14 PM
So what does Tivo do that I can't do with the dvr that comes with the dish system?

Insomniac
09-04-08, 01:47 PM
So what does Tivo do that I can't do with the dvr that comes with the dish system?

Multi-room viewing is the biggest feature that comes to mind.

tllips
09-07-08, 11:16 PM
Cool. NOW I can finally begin looking into getting a Flat Screen HDTV! ;)

nrc
09-08-08, 02:15 PM

For Dish? Not much. At least not unless Charlie decides to pay TiVo to provide a Dish TiVo instead of just writing them checks for violating their patents.

Here's a list of stuff that is either unique, or better on TiVo than most DVRs:

1. Season Pass - more reliable and more powerful than most DVR recording features.
2. Wish List Searches - more powerful and flexible than most DVR recording features.
3. Universal Swivel Search - Search across internet, download, and broadcast sources.
4. Online Scheduling - Schedule recordings over the Internet or from a mobile device.
5. Multi-Room Viewing - watch a recording on a different TiVo.
6. TiVoToGo - Download a recording to your PC or a portable device.
7. Amazon Unbox on TiVo - Download video rentals or purchases from Amazon.
8. Internet content - TiVoCast, Music Choice, and YouTube provide hundreds of internet video sources.
9. TiVo KidZone - Powerful features for controlling children's viewing and access.
10. Digital Music Player - Play music from your PC or a variety of online sources including Rhapsody.
11. Digital Photo Viewer - Photos from your PC, Yahoo, or other online sources.
12. Home Movie Sharing - Share and receive home movies over the internet.

dando
09-08-08, 02:34 PM

4. Online Scheduling - Schedule recordings over the Internet or from a mobile device.

I used to be able to do this on my ReplayTV box. :(

-Kevin

KLang
09-08-08, 07:14 PM
I thought religious discussions were frowned on here. ;)

nrc
09-08-08, 07:36 PM
I thought religious discussions were frowned on here. ;)

For DVR discussions we just consider it understood that the TiVo blasphemers will burn eternally in a fiery pit of cable company DVRs.

Insomniac
09-08-08, 08:50 PM
For DVR discussions we just consider it understood that the TiVo blasphemers will burn eternally in a fiery pit of cable company DVRs.

We all know better than to say anything is better than TiVo. :D

dando
09-08-08, 09:08 PM
We all know better than to say anything is better than TiVo. :D

ReplayTV rulz(d). :(

Tivo users need fancy UIs and cutesy mascots. :p

:runs:

:D

-Kevin

Gnam
06-05-09, 01:30 PM
Ha. Better late than never.

It's going to be late. Way late.
From Tivo's SEC filing issued on April 3, 2009 comes this blurb in ITEM 7:

...the HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service will not be available until calendar year 2010.

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/090403/tivo10-k.html

Good things come to those who wait.

oddlycalm
06-05-09, 02:38 PM

The beta of their prioritized search engine is handy and will be a epic if they ever flesh out the database. The ultimate would be a link with IMDB's complete database. :cool:

The only thing I miss on TiVo is an quick way to scan for season premiere/final episode and series premiere/final episode. Not saying it can't do that, just that I haven't found it if it's there.

oc

Insomniac
06-05-09, 11:00 PM
It's going to be late. Way late.
From Tivo's SEC filing issued on April 3, 2009 comes this blurb in ITEM 7:

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/090403/tivo10-k.html

Good things come to those who wait.

What a slow moving market. It takes forever for TiVo to get a box out for a specific system. The operators must be a huge PITA to work with.

I'm hoping Windows 7 is the answer. Hopefully people will be able to make it a server and pop in 4 tuners. WMC has a lot of cool features.

nrc
06-06-09, 02:26 AM
The beta of their prioritized search engine is handy and will be a epic if they ever flesh out the database. The ultimate would be a link with IMDB's complete database. :cool:
I suggested exactly that over on the Tivo forum. Once you're spoiled by the episode guides it seems kind of silly searching for a movie that's not airing right now, coming up empty, and having to construct a Wish List the old fashioned way.

I'm kind of surprised that they still don't have a good way to find premiers in the guide. I think the problem is that it's just not in the guide data that they get. I'm pretty sure that it used to be available on the DirecTV TiVo which used DTV provided data.