PDA

View Full Version : How many Penske trailer fire mentions during the race...?

oddlycalm
08-24-08, 04:48 PM
A little friendly competition? Guess how many times the broadcast team will mention the trailer fire during the 2.5hr race broadcast.

I'm going with 12 mentions. Since I won't be watching I will defer to pressdog to determine the official number of trailer fire mentions. pressdog says he is on it and says has the DVR cranked up in the event the race/beers puts him to sleep. :D

Good chance the mouse will do a set piece, or pre-race interviews, on the Big Blaze. If they do, the set piece/interview should only count as a single mention. I'm counting on the moron that directs the broadcast to hit the cue button 11 more times on this turkey since 30%-40% of the total laps will likely be run under a full course yellow... :gomer:

oc

trish
08-24-08, 04:54 PM

trish
08-24-08, 05:35 PM
The pre-race has been moved to Classic because of the LPGA tour.

mexican
08-24-08, 05:40 PM
this sounds like a drinking game. kind of like the Helio "let me tell you..." one

pchall
08-24-08, 06:19 PM
This is like doing an over/under on whether someone will mention that they stomped on a flaming bag of dog pooh left on their doorstep.

Methanolandbrats
08-24-08, 08:05 PM
This is like doing an over/under on whether someone will mention that they stomped on a flaming bag of dog pooh left on their doorstep. Sums it up. Did the INdy cars race today. :confused: WGAF.

stroker
08-24-08, 08:35 PM
Another good crowd, though! There must have been hundreds of folks in those stands.

What a snoozer. Shut it off after 10 laps.

DagoFast
08-24-08, 10:49 PM
Was it on Versus already? Maybe it was on the ocho...I don't get that channel either! :thumbup:

pchall
08-25-08, 08:08 AM
Another good crowd, though! There must have been hundreds of folks in those stands.

What a snoozer. Shut it off after 10 laps.

There were thousands of gomers who traveled all the way from Indiana for the event weekend. At this moment they were all out in the adjoining pasture lands tipping cows:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/c5/fullj.c1cc112da176ea82f9fe9a0d6d88d533/c1cc112da176ea82f9fe9a0d6d88d533-getty-82454977di007_peak_antifree.jpg

Don Quixote
08-25-08, 08:49 AM
That particular grandstand appears to be about 90% full. :laugh:

Chaos
08-25-08, 09:01 AM
Instead of that "I am Indy", they should say "I am only Indy".

SurfaceUnits
08-25-08, 10:12 AM
With all the bare aluminum showing up in the Leeg, http://www.alcoa.com/common/images/general/top_alcoa_logo_wide.gif should at the least be honorary title sponsor

TravelGal
08-25-08, 12:20 PM
Next time let's have an over/under on the number of times Scootty Goodyap says "drama."

Completely agree with Snorecoma but couldn't they at least tell us why people are suddenly at the back or DNF? If you don't watch the "hat" as pressdog calls it, you have no idea what is happening. I guess trying to make that out whiel we fast forward through most of "race" is the only challenge left.

Ugh. Sickening. :shakehead

dando
08-25-08, 12:33 PM
Another good crowd, though! There must have been dozens of folks in those stands.

Fixed dat for ya. :)

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
08-25-08, 12:50 PM
Completely agree with Snorecoma but couldn't they at least tell us why people are suddenly at the back or DNF? If you don't watch the "hat" as pressdog calls it, you have no idea what is happening.

Yep. Noticed about halfway through the event yesterday that Scheckter was 27th and out of the race ... pretty sure they never mentioned him at all during the broadcast. So here's a team running a limited program and hoping to move to a full schedule in 2009, and they get exactly 0 seconds of TV time during the event that is basically their sponsor's home race? Very helpful ... I'm sure Symantec must be really excited to ramp up their sponsorship for 2009.

SurfaceUnits
08-25-08, 02:17 PM
I thought the purpose of Symantec software was to prevent crap from running

Symantec: "We sponsor crap."

dando
08-25-08, 02:38 PM
I thought the purpose of Symantec software was to prevent crap from running

Symantec: "We sponsor crap."

Symantec is synonymous with crap. :irked:

-Kevin

stroker
08-25-08, 02:38 PM
Fixed dat for ya. :)

-Kevin

Hey! I am Mindy! I was being recklessly optimistic--can you blame me with all the enThuSiasm AmpLifieD?

oddlycalm
08-25-08, 02:44 PM
Yep. Noticed about halfway through the event yesterday that Scheckter was 27th and out of the race ... pretty sure they never mentioned him at all during the broadcast. So here's a team running a limited program and hoping to move to a full schedule in 2009, and they get exactly 0 seconds of TV time during the event that is basically their sponsor's home race? Very helpful ... I'm sure Symantec must be really excited to ramp up their sponsorship for 2009.
All true I'm sure. I've got better things to do that watch this stuff but I did see Long Beach. There really wasn't much actual race commentary at all, just the occasional reference to the race amongst all the chatter about Danicle, The Leeg, transition teams, how the points standings would be effected, and on and on ad nauseum. Passes for position were totally ignored. Afterward, my favorite pressdog crack was "you're missing a great race here Marty..." :D

This may indeed be the worst race broadcasting ever but, like Foyt Futility, it doesn't mean we can't have some fun at their expense. :laugh:

As soon as pressdog sobers up and posts his blog we should have an official count of trailer fire mentions.

oc

dando
08-25-08, 02:56 PM
Hey! I am Mindy! I was being recklessly optimistic--can you blame me with all the enThuSiasm AmpLifieD?

I turned that crap on for about 5 minutes yesterday, and I was amazed @ how bad the attendance was for that 'race.' Uttererly embarassing. :irked:

-Kevin

SurfaceUnits
08-25-08, 03:03 PM
I turned that crap on for about 5 minutes yesterday, and I was amazed @ how bad the attendance was for that 'race.' Uttererly embarassing. :irked:

-Kevin

how could you overlook the 45,000 fans the track says were in attendance?

extramundane
08-25-08, 04:06 PM

In all fairness, most of them were hidden behind the stairways in the stands. :tony:

Stu
08-25-08, 04:35 PM

an open wheel series inflating their attendance figures??? :eek::eek::eek:

SurfaceUnits
08-25-08, 05:07 PM
an open wheel series inflating their attendance figures??? :eek::eek::eek:

this one deflates the previous year's so they can claim a 33% increase for this year

Michaelhatesfans
08-25-08, 05:22 PM
Well over a decade, still IRL free. I don't know how you guys can waste perfectly good hours of your lives on that stuff.:saywhat:

Cam
08-25-08, 06:24 PM
Symantec is synonymous with crap. :irked:

-Kevin

Norton software was an excellent product. Ever since it was taken over by symantec it became crap. Oh the irony. :flame:

oddlycalm
08-25-08, 07:05 PM
I don't know how you guys can waste perfectly good hours of your lives on that stuff.:saywhat:
A lot of us don't, but that doesn't mean we can't crack wise about it. :laugh: While I don't watch the races I thoroughly enjoy pressdog's coverage of the broadcast douche bags and I see enough of the lowlights on Speed Report. It's true though, I don't go into a tuck and roll and cover my eyes at the first mention of the EARL. :D

oc

oddlycalm
08-26-08, 03:48 PM
OK, we have the unbiased official results. Thanks to Trish for playing.
pressdog Sonoma coverage (http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog/2008/08/notes-taken-from-the-2008-indycar-race-at-infineon.html#more)

There were 11 mentions of the transporter fire during the race broadcast alone. Remarkable, since apparently there was a record low of only one full course yellow. That means they managed to work 10 of those mentions in during green flag racing... :gomer: My formula of guessing how how many would be too many then doubling that number.

Turns out that the Mouse moved the pre-race show to ESPN Classic so we'll never know how many more mentions were missed. :( Thanks to pressdog for keeping score. :thumbup:

oc

TravelGal
08-26-08, 05:23 PM
Great shout out to Oddlycalm. I wrote to the pdog and told him I thought he could have been much more snarky. I was nearly in coma during that race and I wasn't even drinking beer.

Gnam
08-27-08, 01:46 AM
There were so many race fans desperate to get into Infineon Raceway, that once the track reached 110% of capacity, officials had to block the entrance with flaming Penske trailers to keep the hordes away. True.

credit:Walter Zoomie of smackforum
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2708/610xnz7.jpg

Ed_Severson
08-27-08, 08:27 AM
Too late now, but I would have loved to have seen someone skilled in the arts of Photoshop engulf the Penske cars in flames on the spotter's guide for the weekend. That would have been a keeper. :laugh:

oddlycalm
08-27-08, 06:05 PM
There were so many race fans desperate to get into Infineon Raceway, that once the track reached 110% of capacity, officials had to block the entrance with flaming Penske trailers to keep the hordes away. True.

Nice touch, thanks for sharing. :thumbup::gomer:

oc