PDA

View Full Version : Bicycling

Napoleon
08-21-08, 11:24 AM
Does anyone here bike or spend much time paying attention to biking technology?

I have started to bike much more the last 3 years for exercise with my 8 –10 year old Trek (middle of the line boring road bike with 3 gears up front, 8 in the back).

Well I generally knew that they were making some bikes out of space age material (and just being an F-1 fan, even if not told could have intuited that some were using stuff like that). But over the last couple of months I have noticed a few things on other bikes that were kind of amazing. For example a couple of months ago I saw a bike with a big hub in the back, but the visible gears were simply one in the front and one in the back (based on that you would guess it was a one speed). I later did a Google search of the name on the bike and it turns out it had all internal (in the rear hub) gearing. In the last week I had to go to a bike shop to pick up something and a woman was taking a bike out for a test ride and I noticed not only did it have a “one gear” set up and big back hub like the bike I mention above, but a big hub in the front and a box on the frame between the wheels that was around 4X4X2. When I asked what it was the clerk said, “it’s a 3 speed automatic” (!!!).

Seriously, are they building bicycles that are that advanced now? In the last 10 years or more while I have been paying attention to other stuff what kind of advances have they been making?

SteveH
08-21-08, 11:57 AM
Seriously, are they building bicycles that are that advanced now? In the last 10 years or more while I have been paying attention to other stuff what kind of advances have they been making?

Yep, way advanced. I forget the name of the company but there was a recent announcement of an all electronic shifter. No cables at all, immediate shifting, extremely precise. And probably very expensive. Spend some time in a bike shop that sells high end equipment and you'll just walk out shaking your head at the prices. Of course, if you were riding several hundred miles each week, it would probably be well worth it.

Methanolandbrats
08-21-08, 12:06 PM
Is my Ross Mt Whitney Mountain Bike obsolete? :(

cameraman
08-21-08, 01:05 PM
I've got a 1978 Trek touring bike, it is an excellent bike but it is the equivalent of a Model A Roadster compared to these new bikes. I take it into the bike shop for a tuneup (the allure of getting greasy is now lost to me) and the techs are all commenting on how they haven't seen one of these in years. It seems that I ride a "classic":laugh:

KLang
08-21-08, 01:07 PM
My wife and I just replaced our 6 year old Trek Navigators with a pair of Specialized Globe Elites. They have the Shimano Nexus 8 speed internal hub. Had no idea such a thing existed prior to our visit to the bike shop. Seems to work great so far. 8 speeds is plenty for the riding around the neighborhood that we do.

Methanolandbrats
08-21-08, 01:18 PM
I've got a 1978 Trek touring bike, it is an excellent bike but it is the equivalent of a Model A Roadster compared to these new bikes. I take it into the bike shop for a tuneup (the allure of getting greasy is now lost to me) and the techs are all commenting on how they haven't seen one of these in years. It seems that I ride a "classic":laugh: Ya, my Mt Bike is a classic too....weighs over 30 lbs...........pushing that pile of pipes down the trail is an excellent workout, especially uphill........much better workout than a modern, lightweight, expensive sissy bike :p

Napoleon
08-21-08, 01:31 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention one other advance, although not nearly like the automatic gear box. About a month ago my bike was out of service for 2 weeks while the shifter on the handle was replaced (the “traditional” type where there is a collar right next to the grips on the handlebar so when you want to shift you rotate the collar).

Well I rented a bike from a bike shop one weekend to ride and its shifters were a kind of paddle shifter set up. Each handle had two little lever/paddle things (as usual, one side had the front gears, the other the back). One lever would advance the gear for each pull, the other would shift down. It was brainless, all you had to do is flick the lever how ever many gears you wanted to change (unlike the collar set up where you basically hadve to manually make sure you turn the collar just the right amount to hit the proper gear).

Wheel-Nut
08-21-08, 03:06 PM
If you can go this is the place to be as far as bike technology is concerned.

http://www.interbike.com/ib/index.jsp

Mavic used to have a wireless shifting system, it might still be available. It's called the Mektronic System.

You can't go wrong with Shimano Dura-Ace - very polished, very strong, very light, Very $$$. Lance used Dura-Ace components for his 7 tour wins.

For more "bling" look at the Campagnolo Record Groupo. Very nice and again Very $$$$.

tllips
08-21-08, 03:57 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention one other advance, although not nearly like the automatic gear box. About a month ago my bike was out of service for 2 weeks while the shifter on the handle was replaced (the “traditional” type where there is a collar right next to the grips on the handlebar so when you want to shift you rotate the collar).

Well I rented a bike from a bike shop one weekend to ride and its shifters were a kind of paddle shifter set up. Each handle had two little lever/paddle things (as usual, one side had the front gears, the other the back). One lever would advance the gear for each pull, the other would shift down. It was brainless, all you had to do is flick the lever how ever many gears you wanted to change (unlike the collar set up where you basically hadve to manually make sure you turn the collar just the right amount to hit the proper gear).

My Mtn bike is a Giant vintage 1991 or 1992, and it has Shimano shifters like you are describing. Although, through neglect mostly, the indicator no longer properly reads what gear you actually are in.

Wheel-Nut
08-21-08, 04:17 PM
Electronic Shimano Dura-Ace.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29680/Electronic-Dura-ace-confirmed

cameraman
08-21-08, 04:31 PM
Ya, my Mt Bike is a classic too....weighs over 30 lbs...........pushing that pile of pipes down the trail is an excellent workout, especially uphill........much better workout than a modern, lightweight, expensive sissy bike :p

Well I prefer to think of my bike as something better than a pile of pipes:eek: It is Trek's original hand built touring frame. I got it when I was at Iowa State and they were the local builders.

Ankf00
08-21-08, 04:53 PM
sram x.0, rockshox air fork, fox float shock, truvativ cranks.

s'how to roll

TravelGal
08-21-08, 05:55 PM
Cripes, I wonder if the two piles of pipes I have in the garage could get some $$$ on E-Bay as prehistoric!!!

oddlycalm
08-21-08, 07:04 PM
Yep, major technology bump in the last 10yrs. We've been involved in some of the manufacturing challenges along the way because there were no existing processes to make the parts.

Even something as simple as the Rockshox fork was incredibly difficult because nobody, anywhere, had a process for high volume close tolerance through-feed production grinding of thin wall aluminum tubing.

Of course after the purchase by SRAM the line we had helped develop, as well as a 2nd one we helped tool, were moved to Taiwan and all the people in the shop at Rockshox since it began were out of work. :irked:

oc

Audi_A4
08-21-08, 08:41 PM
I just bought a 2008 Gary Fisher Pirranah with wicken front fork and disc brakes and Love it. I had a trek that got stolen the fisher even though its made by Trek is way better it climbs hills effortlessly. The Pirranah has ROCK SHOX AND SHRAM parts and is a great bike.

Indy
08-21-08, 09:56 PM
I have a Trek mountain bike, middle of the line, still made in the USA at that point in time, probably about ten years old. The thing is simple but bulletproof.

I also have an old Ross touring bike that was very expensive at the time (early eighties?), but unfortunately it is now difficult to repair, apparently requiring a machine shop to manufacture parts. I wish I could justify getting it back in working order. :(

datachicane
08-21-08, 10:05 PM
I bought a Kona Dew as a commuter bike (figured I needed more exercise than the white knuckles the FrankenScooter gave me). Set up with Power Grips, it makes a nice ride in traffic and on sketchy streets.

Rogue Leader
08-21-08, 11:25 PM
I do triathlons, I ride 2-3 times a week, hard. I have an Aluminum and Carbon fiber road bike, no electronic shifters lol.

Dura-ace and Campy Record is great but nobody but Lance himself really needs it, the lower end Shimano Equipment is more than enough. My Road bike is equipped with their lower end Sora parts, I replaced the cassette with a more aggressive geared one. I ride VERY hard and hammer the crap out of it and I never have issues.

Boatdesigner
08-22-08, 01:12 AM
I also have an old Ross touring bike that was very expensive at the time (early eighties?), but unfortunately it is now difficult to repair, apparently requiring a machine shop to manufacture parts. I wish I could justify getting it back in working order. :(

Your old Ross can be restored easily with a couple weeks of watching Ebay. I bought a brand new (circa 1980) Suntour derailler and downtube shifters for my 1983 Puch not that long ago. Old parts are readily available. You can also put on new parts and upgrade it if you do a little research. Check out the Vintage section at bikeforums.net.

My main ride is a Giant OCR3 with Shimano's low end Sora gears. In 4,000+ miles it has never let me down and I have done nothing but keep it clean and lubed. I have been sick for close to two months now. Combine that with the constant rain and heat down here in the Sunshine State and I haven't ridden much this year. I am hoping the meds I am now on will get rid of this bug so I can ride again this fall. I used to ride 100 miles a week, now I get tired driving my car that far!:irked:

Indy
08-22-08, 06:07 AM
Thanks, never occurred to me. Too old school in my bike thinking. :gomer:

Get well!

SteveH
08-22-08, 09:15 AM
I've got a Motobecane Nomad from around 1973 that's in very good shape. In fact my youngest son took it to college last year and rode it quite a bit. Its a great bike but I normally ride on my 9 or 10 year old Mongoose 'comfort' bike. Sort of an off rode bike with raised handle bars and street type tires. If its not raining on Sat. I'm taking the Motobecane out for a long ride. If it rains, I'll stay in and drink beers. :D

nissan gtp
08-22-08, 12:32 PM
I've got a Motobecane Nomad ...

I had one of those in college (well after 1973 BTW :D). Great bike, rode it to death.