PDA

View Full Version : standing starts for irl sleds?

Don Quixote
08-20-08, 09:35 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Imagine the excitement as the butt-ugly platypi drop the clutches and launch from zero to 60 in 5 minutes. Is anyone keeping score on what version of the vision this would be? :tony:

Methanolandbrats
08-20-08, 09:36 AM
Innovation in motor racing :thumbup:

stroker
08-20-08, 10:30 AM
Imagine the excitement as the butt-ugly platypi drop the clutches and launch from zero to 60 in 5 minutes. Is anyone keeping score on what version of the vision this would be? :tony:

Watch a few episodes of "Pinks: All Out" and count the number of transmissions/differentials spewing their guts all over the track. That'll give you an idea.

opinionated ow
08-20-08, 10:51 AM

Don't be insulting our platypuses...that's blasphemy.

JLMannin
08-20-08, 11:21 AM

For ovals, too?

(One can always hope):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wally
08-20-08, 01:18 PM
I love this place........:rofl:....:laugh:

Michaelhatesfans
08-20-08, 01:48 PM
The sound of someone slowly easing their weight on to a whoopie cushion comes to mind.

TKGAngel
08-20-08, 01:50 PM
Scott Goodyear's mind is blown by the drivers having to control the car with their feet instead of using traction control.

Standing starts would overwhelm the poor dear.

Gnam
08-20-08, 03:18 PM
Watch a few episodes of "Pinks: All Out" and count the number of transmissions/differentials spewing their guts all over the track. That'll give you an idea.
Halfshafts too...:D

cameraman
08-20-08, 03:29 PM
I'd like to see eleven rows of three cars set up for a standing start.

:rofl::rofl::eek::rofl:

rabbit
08-20-08, 03:34 PM
I'd like to see eleven rows of three cars set up for a standing start.

As Pressdog would say... (http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog/files/cue_the_circus_music.mp3)

http://pressdog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/20/clown_stamp_3.jpg

pchall
08-20-08, 03:51 PM
Another way for Danican't to screw up! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Al Czervik
08-20-08, 04:25 PM

This would be the clockwise (C), apply (A) reverse (R) thrust (T) version of the vision.

Don Quixote
08-20-08, 06:28 PM
Don't be insulting our platypuses...that's blasphemy. You're right. My apologies to platypi everywhere. :thumbup:

opinionated ow
08-20-08, 06:37 PM
You're right. My apologies to platypi everywhere. :thumbup:

Platypuses is the correct grammatical form.

SurfaceUnits
08-20-08, 06:46 PM
Quotes from optimistic gomers about the direction of the leeg:

It seems that each day the IRL moves more & more away from what its fans want. Cart died for a reason. There is no reason to resurect it.

This obsession with wanting to be European is very disturbing. Anyone remember why we turn left on ovals ? The people who built this country wanted to make a statement - WE ARE AMERICAN - not European. And yet the people who are now running the IRL seem ashamed to be American. They want to abandon American heritage - ovals - so they can emulate Euro racing. I know ovals are still the majority of the schedule, but look at the ovals - they are getting smaller & smaller. Only one super speedway. This fits in with the Euro mindset that high speed ovals are too dangerous. Look at how BB runs the races, lap after lat of pointless yellows, asking Honda to slow the cars down, ect. Its the Euro mindset that ovals are for neanderthals, not for the sophisticated upper class.

Does anyone think we will ever see Fonana, Michigan, Pocono or any other "big" tracks ever again ?? The IRL wanted to use the parking lot @ Vegas !!! That pretty much says it all.

The IRL is gone. That intense wheel to wheel, side by side racing is gone.

Cart is back, complete with its sole purpose of imitating all things Euro

oddlycalm
08-20-08, 07:02 PM
I can see gap-toothed goobers are going to struggle with that double sybilance (with a bit of spray) and standing starts may morph into something similar to standing farts...:gomer:

This would only be right because it will sound like a flock of flatulent geese taking off.

oc

pchall
08-20-08, 07:19 PM
Yet another :gomer: who doesn't know that Carl Fisher and his fellow Indianapolis businessmen were inspired to build that track by reports of the Brooklands oval that opened for racing and testing in 1907.

It seems that each day the IRL moves more & more away from what its fans want. Cart died for a reason. There is no reason to resurect it.

This obsession with wanting to be European is very disturbing. Anyone remember why we turn left on ovals ? The people who built this country wanted to make a statement - WE ARE AMERICAN - not European. And yet the people who are now running the IRL seem ashamed to be American. They want to abandon American heritage - ovals - so they can emulate Euro racing.

SurfaceUnits
08-20-08, 07:45 PM
The Bentley Brooklands should be called the Bentley Indy :gomer:

Don Quixote
08-20-08, 07:54 PM
Platypuses is the correct grammatical form.
Maybe, but Platypi sounds funnier. :D

pineapple
08-20-08, 10:26 PM
Its the Euro mindset that ovals are for neanderthals, not for the sophisticated upper class.

:laugh: I had to laugh at loud at this one. May be a bit of unintentional truth in that statement.

miatanut
08-21-08, 01:04 AM
This would be the clockwise (C), apply (A) reverse (R) thrust (T) version of the vision.

:thumbup:

pchall
08-21-08, 01:41 PM
I remember all the Hoosier/Gomer/Indy real estate, car dealer, and gas station 'sophisticates' roaming the pits and Gasoline Alley sporting their Bronze badges...

:laugh: I had to laugh at loud at this one.

Originally Posted by SurfaceUnits View Post
Its the Euro mindset that ovals are for neanderthals, not for the sophisticated upper class.
May be a bit of unintentional truth in that statement.

TravelGal
08-21-08, 05:50 PM
Cart is back, complete with its sole purpose of imitating all things Euro

They really are :gomer: "Cart" is NOT back as long as that POS is running the leeege.

SurfaceUnits
08-21-08, 07:08 PM
They really are :gomer: "Cart" is NOT back as long as that POS is running the leeege.

Bernie is really peeved that he didn't get that coveted Iowa race :laugh:

oddlycalm
08-21-08, 08:33 PM
Bernie is really peeved that he didn't get that coveted Iowa race :laugh:
Yeah, that musta been a heart breaker. Maybe he'll be able to pick of Kentuckiana or Kansas when they tank...:thumbup:

oc

JT265
08-22-08, 06:15 PM
Another way for Danican't to screw up! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Can't see it. In all fairness, Brainfart will allow her to fit a 2 speed Hydramatic to the back of that lump. The bad news is it will prolly be smaller and weigh less that the Xtrac does. :D

SurfaceUnits
08-26-08, 03:25 PM
League officials also have discussed implementing standing starts but are unlikely to adopt them, because Barnhart despises first-lap accidents.

"It is the biggest waste of an event that you can have," he said. "I'm open to anything, but I think our track record is pretty good with rolling starts."

miatanut
08-26-08, 10:35 PM
League officials also have discussed implementing standing starts but are unlikely to adopt them, because Barnhart despises first-lap accidents.

"It is the biggest waste of an event that you can have," he said. "I'm open to anything, but I think our track record is pretty good with rolling starts."

CCWS found a distinct decrease in T1 pileups when they changed to standing starts.

I don't watch the crapfests, so I don't know, but do they not have T1 pileups? Are they so slow to accelerate that the drivers don't bother really going for it?