PDA

View Full Version : Fine Dining

Methanolandbrats
08-19-08, 04:00 PM
:D

Suit accuses restaurant of giving man big tapeworm

CHICAGO (AP) - A man who contends he got a 9-foot tapeworm after eating undercooked fish has sued a Chicago restaurant. In the lawsuit filed Monday, Anthony Franz said he ordered salmon salad for lunch from Shaw's Crab House in 2006 and fell violently ill. He later passed the giant parasite, which a pathologist determined came from undercooked fish, such as salmon.

Franz's lawsuit seeks $100,000 from Shaw's and its parent company, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, contending the restaurant's staff was negligent in serving him improperly cooked fish.

But Carrol Symank, vice president of food safety for Lettuce Entertain You, said the tapeworm didn't come from Shaw's.

``We have done a thorough investigation and we're confident the restaurant is not the source,'' he said.

According to the Web site mayoclinic.com, tapeworms can measure up to 50 feet long.

08/19/08 14:47 © Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press

Elmo T
08-19-08, 04:05 PM
No photos?

FWIW, through work I get to see behind the scenes in all sorts of restaurants. There is no relationship between the price/quality of the food and the cleanliness of the kitchen. :eek:

Don Quixote
08-19-08, 04:29 PM
I bet the dude lost weight too. :laugh:

trish
08-19-08, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't the tape worm have to have been in him for a long period for it to be that big?

Edit: Oh, and I'm never eating out again. :yuck:

http://www.vaxa.com/human-tapeworms.cfm

datachicane
08-19-08, 04:42 PM
Back in High School I worked in a fairly nice restaurant.

Whenever closing under one certain manager, she'd have us dump all of the day's accumulated garbage cans into a huge pile in the middle of the floor. If you've never experienced restaurant garbage, the sensory qualities of such a pile would be difficult to adequately describe.

She'd instruct the staff to paw through the pile looking for little packets of table crackers with the cellophane intact, after which they'd be rinsed off and put back on the tables. No joke. Somehow I never seemed to find any crackers that weren't crushed.

trish
08-19-08, 04:49 PM

Whenever closing under one certain manager, she'd have us dump all of the day's accumulated garbage cans into a huge pile in the middle of the floor. If you've never experienced restaurant garbage, the sensory qualities of such a pile would be difficult to adequately describe.

She'd instruct the staff to paw through the pile looking for little packets of table crackers with the cellophane intact, after which they'd be rinsed off and put back on the tables. No joke. Somehow I never seemed to find any crackers that weren't crushed.

She was probably stealing from the restaurant by pocketing the money she should have been using to buy new crackers.

cameraman
08-19-08, 04:54 PM
Okay this is utter ********.

First you don't become "violently ill" from a tapeworm. A tape worm can go undetected for years, it just hangs out (quite literally) in your intestines where it quite happily shares your lunch. It grows longer and longer until it extends outside... well you get the idea.

Second because of the life cycle of a tape worm he could have gotten it from any under cooked fish he has eaten over the last few decades. There is no way for a pathologist to tie it back to a dinner on day X.

The dude may have gotten some bad fish at the restaurant which made him puking sick and which prompted him to go to the doctor who found a tapeworm but the two events would be unrelated.

cameraman
08-19-08, 04:58 PM

That's just stupid. (ignoring gross and illegal for the moment) There is no way the value of any crackers recovered exceeded the cost of the time spent dumping and sorting the trash and cleaning up afterward.

Andrew Longman
08-19-08, 05:05 PM
No photos?

No shrimp or anything shrimp-like? :D

JoeBob
08-19-08, 05:41 PM
Why wasn't this in the Spring Cleaning Thread (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10069)?

Methanolandbrats
08-19-08, 06:01 PM
Okay this is utter ********.

First you don't become "violently ill" from a tapeworm. A tape worm can go undetected for years, it just hangs out (quite literally) in your intestines where it quite happily shares your lunch. It grows longer and longer until it extends outside... well you get the idea.

Second because of the life cycle of a tape worm he could have gotten it from any under cooked fish he has eaten over the last few decades. There is no way for a pathologist to tie it back to a dinner on day X.

The dude may have gotten some bad fish at the restaurant which made him puking sick and which prompted him to go to the doctor who found a tapeworm but the two events would be unrelated.
That is correct, but it's a good story :D A friend of mine went to Morocco to live on the beach and hang out, he brought home a belly full of little friends. He had to take some nasty meds and pooping out piles of dead worms was horrible....Well, time for dinner :gomer:

datachicane
08-20-08, 01:21 AM
That's just stupid. (ignoring gross and illegal for the moment) There is no way the value of any crackers recovered exceeded the cost of the time spent dumping and sorting the trash and cleaning up afterward.

No *****.
I'm thinking she was just frustrated that her preferred career choice of dominatrix didn't pan out.

cart7
08-22-08, 06:39 AM
Shouldn't the guy have been suspicious when the salmon was served on a bed of 9 foot long linguine which wasn't on the menu?

oh, BTW

pitures

http://kisrael.com/journal.aux/2006.05.28.tapeworm.jpg