PDA

View Full Version : IRL media partners and friends riding the wave of IRL popularity

SurfaceUnits
08-15-08, 09:44 PM
Emmis Publishing Announces Reductions
Emmis Publishing has cut jobs and salaries in an effort to better position its magazines for success. The unit of Emmis Communications has reduced workforce by 4.5 percent and reduced the salaries of current employees by an amount that generally equals two percent. Emmis Communications is based in Indianapolis.

Indianapolis Star to lay off 23 workers
Twenty-three Indianapolis Star employees will be laid off as part of attempts by the newspaper's parent, Gannett Co. Inc., to cut costs. President and Publisher Michael Kane told employees in a memo this morning that details about the layoffs would be forthcoming next week. The downsizing was necessary to counter a revenue decline that shows little sign of improving "anytime soon," Kane said in the memo.

Methanolandbrats
08-15-08, 09:57 PM
Yup, one of the daily papers near me went web only. It won't be long before the concept of driving around lobbing a wad of wood pulp in people's yards each day will extinct. Much cheaper and easier to publish on the web.

pchall
08-16-08, 12:24 AM
I suppose circulation and advertising for all those 500 special sections is way down the last decade or so...

JLMannin
08-16-08, 09:47 AM
I suppose circulation and advertising for all those 500 special sections is way down the last decade or so...

Yep. Before I lived in Indy, I used to buy a "Month of May" subscription to the Star. I doubt they sell many of those these days.

SurfaceUnits
08-16-08, 09:55 AM
Yep. Before I lived in Indy, I used to buy a "Month of May" subscription to the Star. I doubt they sell many of those these days.
it's called "The Weekend of May" subscription now.

eiregosod
08-17-08, 02:29 PM
just out of interest,

how far would The indianapolis Star travel during the month of May?

pchall
08-18-08, 07:12 AM
I had a Month of May subscription for most of the 80s and early 90s. I remember getting mostly next day delivery by mail in Ohio and Michigan. Two days to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi one year.