PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Dim sum

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Insomniac
08-28-08, 10:07 AM
*cough Greece cough*
*cough Spain cough*
*cough South Korea cough*

none of them exactly topped the medal tally when they hosted it in the last twenty years. It has absolutely nothing to do with the overall results. If it was, most countries wouldn't bother sending an athlete. There is more to the Olympic Games than just gold medal count

I know that there are more to the games, but at the root, they are athletic competitions. India had 3 total medals this year. I know there are a lot more important things than sports in this world, but it does garner your country quite a bit of attention. It would just be nice if they competed harder.

In any case, when/if they go after one, the majority of people who will be competing would just be little kids when it would be awarded. They'd have plenty of time to groom them. I would certainly like to see the world's spotlight on India. They don't get all that much attention over here, except that all our jobs are being sent there.

dando
08-28-08, 11:27 AM
you'd have similar air quality issues.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. The notion that Bangalore could host the games inside 30 years is silly. They completely lack proper roads, the electrical grid is pathetic (all of the office buildings have huge generators that kick in when the power goes out on a daily basis), foreigners cannot drink the water, and much of the food is suspect (Indians use sewage water for irrigation in many areas), etc. It's also a city of huge contrasts with gleaming new office buildings with tent cities less than a 100 yards away from them. The 5 star Leela Palace hotel is located in the middle of a slum (they actually have a trench around the buildings to keep the effluent water off the grounds). HAL airport (soon to be replaced) a cattle pen...it's a good thing that you fly in in the middle of the night on the 747-400s Lufthansa flies. :eek: Oh, and broadband does not really exist outside of the office complexes (this ISDN speeds).

It's not all bad, but they are really struggling with the influx of the poor in the outlying areas coming to the larger cities now that work there is plentiful. Plus, the property values have skyrocketed, so it would be very expensive to build the necessary venues. The Chinese solved this problem by acquiring property by 'eminent domain'. :saywhat:

Comparing the Commonwealth Games to the Olympics is like comparing the Goodwill Games to the Olympics. Apples and oranges by far.

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-28-08, 12:10 PM
That's just the tip of the iceberg. The notion that Bangalore could host the games inside 30 years is silly. They completely lack proper roads, the electrical grid is pathetic (all of the office buildings have huge generators that kick in when the power goes out on a daily basis), foreigners cannot drink the water, and much of the food is suspect (Indians use sewage water for irrigation in many areas), etc. It's also a city of huge contrasts with gleaming new office buildings with tent cities less than a 100 yards away from them. The 5 star Leela Palace hotel is located in the middle of a slum (they actually have a trench around the buildings to keep the effluent water off the grounds). HAL airport (soon to be replaced) a cattle pen...it's a good thing that you fly in in the middle of the night on the 747-400s Lufthansa flies. :eek: Oh, and broadband does not really exist outside of the office complexes (this ISDN speeds).

It's not all bad, but they are really struggling with the influx of the poor in the outlying areas coming to the larger cities now that work there is plentiful. Plus, the property values have skyrocketed, so it would be very expensive to build the necessary venues. The Chinese solved this problem by acquiring property by 'eminent domain'. :saywhat:

Comparing the Commonwealth Games to the Olympics is like comparing the Goodwill Games to the Olympics. Apples and oranges by far.

-Kevin

I didn't go into as much details as you, but I did say:

But with no athletes? India had <60 athletes at the Olympics this year. That to me is the biggest impediment. Well, that and infrastructure.

:)

It will certainly be a long time. India is not going to do what the Chinese did to pull off the games.

TKGAngel
08-28-08, 12:13 PM
foreigners cannot drink the water

-Kevin

To be fair, the same thing was true at the Beijing Games. Hotels provided bottled water for their guests for both consumption and teeth brushing, and the water in the Olympic Village was heavily, heavily filtered and processed.

Even despite these precautions, many athletes caught a bug that they referred to as 'Beijing Belly.'

dando
08-28-08, 12:27 PM
To be fair, the same thing was true at the Beijing Games. Hotels provided bottled water for their guests for both consumption and teeth brushing, and the water in the Olympic Village was heavily, heavily filtered and processed.

Even despite these precautions, many athletes caught a bug that they referred to as 'Beijing Belly.'

I wondered about that. Travellers to India call it Delhi Belly. I came back with a case of it after my last trip there, and it is not fun to experience. :yuck: In my case it wasn't the water, but the food. I never touched water that wasn't bottled, hot, or brewed. :)

My former boss caught a case of Beijing Belly a few years ago, but since he was in Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and Beijing in the same trip, it was hard to tell where he caught the bug. :irked:

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-28-08, 01:31 PM
I wondered about that. Travellers to India call it Delhi Belly. I came back with a case of it after my last trip there, and it is not fun to experience. :yuck: In my case it wasn't the water, but the food. I never touched water that wasn't bottled, hot, or brewed. :)

My former boss caught a case of Beijing Belly a few years ago, but since he was in Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and Beijing in the same trip, it was hard to tell where he caught the bug. :irked:

-Kevin

You have to also check the ice. Some places that use filtered water sometimes don't use that same water to make ice.