PDA

View Full Version : Grad School Housing

Brickman
08-03-08, 02:18 PM
Phase Two: My daughter going to Grad School. Well on the surface it would seem pretty easy. However, if you want to go to Grad School in New York City… while living in New York City it can be a bit more difficult.

NYC has a vacancy factory on their apartments of less than 1.2%. Apartments listed today can actually be gone hours later. On a regular basis days later. 80% of rentals are listed by http://www.citi-habitats.com where they charge the new tenant 15% of the rent in brokerage fees. Now for example… the average studio is $2,200 a month, and a building with a doorman anywhere in Manhattan is $3,500 a month. Say for example your broker finds you something for $2600 a month, x 12 month x 15%... Cha Ch’ing $4,680 dollar fee added to your first, last, security, and now your rent averages $390 more.

Now there are no fee landlords, http://www.nofeerentals.com/ but if they require a deposit up to $1,000 along with the credit fee of $150. If they approve your application, you MUST take the unit; they only refund the deposit if you don’t qualify.

Qualify? Did I say qualify? My daughter has great credit, score of 784 to 800. She will be working full time while carrying between 6-9 units, IF she can get a "JOB". But that score won’t get her anything but a piece of plastic in NYC, because they want the tenant to make 40 times the monthly rent, or have a “guarantor” who makes 80 times the monthly rent. All occupants/guarantor must apply, credit check fee x 3.

Now the parent has to not just co-sign for their adult child, but for their roommate and get assurances from the other parent that they will commit for a 12 month lease. Having roommates can be difficult, but having one up and leave, would leave the other one holding the bag, paying all the rent until a new roommate could be found would be downright scary.

Now there are no fee apartment houses. Finding expensive apartments is easy, finding ones that have a poor ratings is easy too. For example

The Normandie Court Apartments kiddingly referred to as "Dormandie Court" in an article about NYC housing because of the large influx of graduates doesn't have much of a rating http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NY-New-York-Normandie-Court.html

They have already had friends who have already been scammed on Craigslist, and had an apartmemt burglerized.

So looking for a quality apartment that has safety, good subway connections to two different colleges, laundry facilities, groceries, and a fair price. :shakehead

Some examples of just one apartment building:

482 square feet $2,520.

http://www.archstoneapartments.com/library/vimages/300x320/floorplan/000000063898.gif

747 square feet $3,330

http://www.archstoneapartments.com/library/vimages/300x320/floorplan/000000034118.gif

Apartment hunting begins in earnest on Tuesday.

SteveH
08-03-08, 02:29 PM
Have a friend whose oldest daughter is currently in NYC this summer for an internship. Heard all of this earlier in the year. Along with how much it costs to fly in and out for visits.

New Jersey beckons. :D

Methanolandbrats
08-03-08, 02:46 PM
Uh, why did'nt you check this out before applying to grad school in NYC? Lot's and lots of schools are not located in that ****hole. Is she in a specialty that requires living there? My nephew lives there and pays 6k a month for his apartment. He's broke, but he loves the "city". :shakehead

Ankf00
08-03-08, 03:11 PM

NJ Transit or nut up and spend the loot. It's NY, there's no such thing as "a fair price." It's either expensive and a rathole, or even more expensive and livable.

Brickman
08-03-08, 04:30 PM
Uh, why did'nt you check this out before applying to grad school in NYC? Lot's and lots of schools are not located in that ****hole. Is she in a specialty that requires living there? My nephew lives there and pays 6k a month for his apartment. He's broke, but he loves the "city". :shakehead

Did look at other schools in other areas, but TV business is either LA or NY.
Her roommate is at Columbia for Film Theory, she is at NYIT.

Brickman
08-03-08, 04:32 PM
Have a friend whose oldest daughter is currently in NYC this summer for an internship. Heard all of this earlier in the year. Along with how much it costs to fly in and out for visits.

Actually flying to NYC during the last four years was pretty good thanks to Jet Blue.

I think there already is a New Jersey thread so we won't go there. ;)

cameraman
08-03-08, 04:38 PM
I know NYIT has on campus housing, no room at the inn?

Methanolandbrats
08-03-08, 05:09 PM
Did look at other schools in other areas, but TV business is either LA or NY.
Her roommate is at Columbia for Film Theory, she is at NYIT. Cool, great school. Good luck with housing and expenses.

Brickman
08-03-08, 07:06 PM
I know NYIT has on campus housing, no room at the inn?

There was... they actually have a new place in Brooklyn Heights. {nice}

"How much will it cost me to live in a residence hall?
For the 2008-2009 Academic Year:

Standard double - $6,870 per semester
Large double - $7,250 per semester
Deluxe double - $8,365 per semester
Damage deposit - $125 per semester, $250 per academic year
Nonrefundable room deposit - $275
Membership fee - $75 per year"

But you can see... for the four months Sept - Dec it would equal about the same as rooming with her friend who did not have a place at Columbia, and it would would be a single room, the girls really deserve to move forward after paying their dues staying in a dorm for the last four years. No roommate would have definately been a ticket to the NYIT dorms for sure.

Cool, great school. Good luck with housing and expenses.

Thanks. I think luck will definately play a part!

Insomniac
08-04-08, 07:55 AM
But you can see... for the four months Sept - Dec it would equal about the same as rooming with her friend

Minus the guarantor/financial risk. (That seemed to be your biggest concern at least.)

Brickman
08-04-08, 06:18 PM
Minus the guarantor/financial risk. (That seemed to be your biggest concern at least.)

Well I was actually hoping it would be closer in price to her years in college, last year was $875 per month. She flies out tomorrow on her great aventure of finding a place on her own.

Insomniac
08-04-08, 08:30 PM
Well I was actually hoping it would be closer in price to her years in college, last year was $875 per month. She flies out tomorrow on her great aventure of finding a place on her own.

Welcome to Grad School. Everything is more expensive just because. :)

cameraman
08-05-08, 01:45 AM
Welcome to Grad School. Everything is more expensive just because. :)

You pick the right PhD program and they pay you to attend school.

eiregosod
08-05-08, 06:19 AM
Geez I pay $480 per month for my apartment, though I dont live in NYC even though many people think I is from there :shakehead:p

Brickman
09-05-08, 11:17 PM
Quick update on the search. Mission accomplished (http://100maidenlane.com/Building/index.html). 1 BR 1 BATH $2,700 per month, equals out to $1,350 per person. The wall that converts the livingroom to a second bedroom was already up, but it's a leased wall! So we had to pay this company $400 transfer fee and $100 security deposit... $150 a year, no more than six years, gets the tenant a wall.

Passing on the $400 additional for a car parking space.

Floor plan similar to this:

http://www.100maidenlane.com/Floorplans/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=188

cart7
09-06-08, 08:50 AM
$2700 + 400 for a parking space? $3100 to live in NYC in a cracker box?

:rofl:

For that kind of money I could buy a 3 BR house along with a 2 or 3 BR lake vacation house here in St Louis.

What a maroon.

Methanolandbrats
09-06-08, 10:18 AM

For that kind of money I could buy a 3 BR house along with a 2 or 3 BR lake vacation house here in St Louis.

What a maroon.
Upside......lots of room....:thumbup: Downside.......St Louis....:gomer:

Indy
09-06-08, 10:20 AM
Higher education is overrated, as are cities and states with high costs of living.

Brickman
09-06-08, 12:23 PM

What a maroon.

Now now... this is OC. Civility and no name calling, especially if you are wrong... :shakehead

Maybe if they moved Columbia University, Wall Street and NYIT to St. Louis you might actually have a valid point. Like I said, it's actually a good deal. Second choice was $3300.

Insomniac
09-06-08, 12:25 PM
If you have a car, why live in the city?

Brickman
09-06-08, 02:20 PM
If you have a car, why live in the city?

She doesn't. That's why we will be passing on it, and why she won't be commuting in from Long Island.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14619

nrc
09-06-08, 05:00 PM
What a maroon.

That part was not really necessary or beneficial to the discussion. "That doesn't make sense." or even "That's stupid." would be one way of saying what you think about the topic without a personal attack.

nrc
09-06-08, 05:15 PM
Higher education is overrated, as are cities and states with high costs of living.

Depends on what you want to do for a living.

Insomniac
09-07-08, 05:11 PM
She doesn't. That's why we will be passing on it, and why she won't be commuting in from Long Island.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14619

Ohhh, OK, I got confused by the responses. :)