PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide Race *In the Wet*

trish
08-02-08, 04:20 PM
ESPN2. Rain tires are on.

trish
08-02-08, 04:49 PM
Is there no end to the ridiculousness of NASCAR? RUN THE RACE ALREADY!!!!

dando
08-02-08, 04:54 PM
How does one say teh suck in French? :saywhat: :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
08-02-08, 04:59 PM
Are those really wipers, or just decals? :gomer:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
08-02-08, 05:00 PM
Drop the flag already. Yeesh. :saywhat:

trish
08-02-08, 05:02 PM
The wipers are real and not everyone put one on. This whole thing is lame. But nothing embarrasses NASCAR.

trish
08-02-08, 05:06 PM
The ringers should thoroughly embarrass the regulars. Marco Ambrose is off to a good start.

Although technically he's not a ringer.

RusH
08-02-08, 05:11 PM
c'mon Fellows!!
dust that wine drinker:)

dando
08-02-08, 05:12 PM
Wow! It's history....historical suckage. :gomer: :laugh: :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

trish
08-02-08, 05:14 PM
By the way, those rain tires are 7 years old. lol

RusH
08-02-08, 05:25 PM
Nascar=dictators

sUCkaGe AmPLIfIED

Let them run slicks if they want:shakehead

dando
08-02-08, 05:26 PM

:rofl:

:saywhat:

-Kevin

Accipiter
08-02-08, 06:07 PM
This is great. Now finally NASCAR will believe it's possible to run in the rain and we won't have to see any more rain delayed road races.

Of course the tire change rules are retarded. :rolleyes:

These "historical" claims are stupid too. It's not the first NASCAR race in the wet. There was a 1956 race run in the rain at Road America won by Tim Flock.

RusH
08-02-08, 06:36 PM
LOL JV:gomer:

FCYTravis
08-02-08, 06:37 PM
JV! :eek::laugh:

Accipiter
08-02-08, 06:41 PM
Guys going off under caution. It's like an IRL race out there now.

trish
08-02-08, 06:52 PM
All the Jr., uh, Jacques fans have left. In droves.

TedN
08-02-08, 07:08 PM
Nice guys do finish first.

Ted

RusH
08-02-08, 07:15 PM
WTG :thumbup:

might be his last:(

Andrew Longman
08-02-08, 09:56 PM
So the wiper motors aren't strong enough to overcome the airspeed on the straights? They only work in the low speed corners? I guess the wiper motors were the only stock part on the stock car.

OK, Trevor gets credit for pointing that out to me. ;)

What a disaster. Two weeks in a row, NASCAR proves they don't know how to run a race. And the arrogance of not running a rain race the way the rest of the planet does. No, they'll tell you when to put rain tires on and off with mandatory red flags. It would be too hard for teams to figure that out and fans to follow along. :rolleyes:

I doubt they will be doing this again any time soon. The only reason they did probably was because Goodyear was tired of hanging on to the rain tires for 6 years. I believe Cup said several years ago they would not road race in the rain.

cameraman
08-02-08, 10:01 PM
Dang, I missed it:rolleyes:

gerhard911
08-02-08, 10:10 PM
Somehow, me thinks you did not "miss" anything ;)

opinionated ow
08-03-08, 12:08 AM
Somehow, me thinks you did not "miss" anything ;)

Oh no, you missed the greatest laugh of your life! Carl Edwards leaning out the window wiping his windscreen with a microfibre mop!

FCYTravis
08-03-08, 12:46 AM
Edit: Never mind, getting lots of conflicting answers here from the media reports.

Accipiter
08-03-08, 08:27 AM
I still see the whole thing as a positive. NASCAR a bunch of recalcitrant old curmudgeons resistant to change, so one step at a time here. First it had to be proven to them that it is possible to run in the rain, then step two becomes learning to do it properly.

dando
08-03-08, 08:32 AM
Oh no, you missed the greatest laugh of your life! Carl Edwards leaning out the window wiping his windscreen with a microfibre mop!

That was under yeller, tho. And didn't I hear one of the drivers mentioning that he was reading txt messages during the initial yeller to begin the race? :eek: He mentioned one from someone that had knowledge of wet racing who said more rear brake is better.

-Kevin

emjaya
08-03-08, 08:38 AM

I was under the impression that tyres made for racing have a short shelf life, especially soft wet weather tyres. Seven years is long time for a road tyre to be sitting round, much less a race tyre.... :saywhat:

That said, I enjoyed watching what little I saw of the race, especially when I saw Ambrose leading. :D

I was just thinking the track had dryed out enough for someone to be brave on slicks, when they said NASCAR had demanded wets be put on. :\

The wiper thing, with Carl Edwards effort with the mop the silliest thing I have ever seen, just made it look like amateur hour.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a point in the race where there were no Americans in the top five? That's not going to go over well in Baltimore. ;)

trish
08-03-08, 03:15 PM
The NASCAR fans who hate road racing weren't watching anyway. The people I do race chat with could care less where the driver comes from.

cameraman
08-03-08, 04:32 PM
That is because you don't chat with certain Baltimorans...

emjaya
08-03-08, 05:31 PM
The thing is with JPM and Marcus making it look so easy to get in, a lot of drivers are looking at NASCAR as a legitimate career choice.

In 5-10 years time, NASCAR will be full of furriners pushing out all those good 'merican drivers. That's my prediction. :gomer:

pchall
08-04-08, 11:47 AM
NASCAR hasn't learned anything new about running a race or regulating their engine and chassis specs in the last 25 or more years. What makes you think they will now?

I still see the whole thing as a positive. NASCAR a bunch of recalcitrant old curmudgeons resistant to change, so one step at a time here. First it had to be proven to them that it is possible to run in the rain, then step two becomes learning to do it properly.

Andrew Longman
08-04-08, 12:11 PM
NASCAR hasn't learned anything new about running a race or regulating their engine and chassis specs in the last 25 or more years. What makes you think they will now?

Whatdayamean?

They gave us the Lucky Dog, the CoT, restrictor plates, high banked ovals, The Chase, 35/8, and so much more :D

Yesterday they showed us it is possible to stop the race to let everyone put of rain tires and wipers at their leisure

TKGAngel
08-04-08, 02:12 PM
Whatdayamean?

They gave us the Lucky Dog, the CoT, restrictor plates, high banked ovals, The Chase, 35/8, and so much more :D

Yesterday they showed us it is possible to stop the race to let everyone put of rain tires and wipers at their leisure

One could argue that 33/8 took its inspiration from 25/8.

The three minute pause to put on rain tires and wiper blades/Rain-X was such a joke. My favorite part of the debacle was the comment that if a team didn't put a wiper on the car, then they had to put Rain-X on in full view of the NASCAR official. Why would anyone think that Rain-X alone is better than a wiper blade?

Interesting to note that if there's rain at the Glen this weekend, the Nationwide boys will race in the rain. The Nextel boys will not.

Accipiter
08-04-08, 05:52 PM
Interesting to note that if there's rain at the Glen this weekend, the Nationwide boys will race in the rain. The Nextel boys will not.

Do you have a source on that?

Totally gay if it's true.

Don Quixote
08-04-08, 06:04 PM
Interesting to note that if there's rain at the Glen this weekend, the Nationwide boys will race in the rain. The Nextel boys will not. They must be askeert of what that furrin devil from Columbia would do to them. :D

trish
08-04-08, 06:04 PM
I heard the rain tires for the Nextel series are too old to use.

TKGAngel
08-04-08, 06:44 PM
Do you have a source on that?

Totally gay if it's true.

Alan Bestwick said it during the Nextel race yesterday.

emjaya
08-04-08, 10:57 PM
I heard the rain tires for the Nextel series are too old to use.

Do they run a different tyre to the Nationwide series?

Andrew Longman
08-05-08, 07:59 AM
I believe the tires used in Montreal were the ones made years back for Watkins Glen.

They tried them for one practice and well, it didn't go so well.

They've been sitting around unused ever since. Rather than recycle them, I think they decided to try an experiment with the Nationwide crew.

To prepare to run Cup in the rain as well they'd have to make another 800 tires which they may never use.

Methanolandbrats
08-05-08, 08:29 AM
Most cup guys can't brake, shift and turn on a dry track, so wet road racing is probably not the best idea even if they are the best drivers in the World. :gomer:

Accipiter
08-05-08, 09:13 AM
Alan Bestwick said it during the Nextel race yesterday.

Retahded! :rolleyes:

emjaya
08-05-08, 10:03 AM
I believe the tires used in Montreal were the ones made years back for Watkins Glen.

They tried them for one practice and well, it didn't go so well.

They've been sitting around unused ever since. Rather than recycle them, I think they decided to try an experiment with the Nationwide crew.

To prepare to run Cup in the rain as well they'd have to make another 800 tires which they may never use.

So have Goodyear been bringing these rain tyres to every road course for the last seven years in the hope Nascar would one day actually use them? :saywhat:

Elmo T
08-05-08, 10:40 AM
I got tired of hearing all the problems they are forced to overcome in the rain: wet track, wipers, fogging, rain lights, rules on tire changes, competition yellows :rolleyes:, standing water, changing the car set-up to wet (or back to dry). Well, no &%^! You'd think they invented fire that day.

And the changing rules. :saywhat:

Stop all the hand-wringing: let them run in the wet or park them.

Andrew Longman
08-05-08, 10:51 AM
So have Goodyear been bringing these rain tyres to every road course for the last seven years in the hope Nascar would one day actually use them? :saywhat:

I know that NASCAR said a few years ago (4?) that they wouldn't use them and I remember that one of the reasons they stated was that they were so old they weren't sure they were still good. :confused:

Gnam
08-05-08, 11:19 AM
Are those really wipers, or just decals? :gomer:

-Kevin
:D:thumbup:

Seriously though, are the decals waterproof?

JohnHKart
08-05-08, 12:48 PM
This has to be the slowest race I've ever watched. Slower than slow. I could swear the go karts I raced last night on the oval in Carson were faster looking. Awful. Normally I like stock cars on a road course...it must be the Formula 1 is at the same track factor.

John

pchall
08-09-08, 07:20 AM
Heard on the radio that NASCAR Cup qualifying at Watkins Glen was rained out.

:rofl:

They deserve a rain plagued event on Sunday.

The Retired Road Racers Series did get their event in.

TedN
08-09-08, 11:53 AM
The Retired Road Racers Series did get their event in.

Yep, and the Canadians win again.

Ted

:thumbup:

pchall
08-09-08, 04:03 PM
Yikes!

Not even a classic white with red maple leaf Canadian Tire livery could make that car look pretty.

http://www.automobilsport.com/upload/24hdaytona-2008/AIM_61_20080328.jpg

Accipiter
08-09-08, 06:55 PM
Jeff Gordon chimes in on rain racing:

"They had major issues with being able to see, that was the biggest one," said Gordon. "The tyres held up pretty good and I was surprised, they were going faster than I thought they'd be able to. I was impressed.

"That was a good test in itself, but I think if it is truly going to be an option for us we really do need to test those conditions. I don't even know how you do that, but we need to really get after it because there's a lot more that needs to be done.

"In the past when we've shown up here it was 'okay, we'll put a windshield wiper on, a brake light, a defogger', but we never really took it seriously."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69735

How hard could it really be to work it out? Just phone up some people who used to be involved in Trans Am and ask them how they did it.

pchall
08-09-08, 09:27 PM
Just book some time with Goodyear at whatever "wet" test track they develop their rain tires on... :shakehead

Jeff Gordon chimes in on rain racing:

...I think if it is truly going to be an option for us we really do need to test those conditions. I don't even know how you do that...

How hard could it really be to work it out? Just phone up some people who used to be involved in Trans Am and ask them how they did it.

pchall
08-10-08, 12:06 PM
Some interesting weather just to the west of the Finger Lakes. Chief must be doing a rain dance! ;)