PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help: Vista

opinionated ow
08-02-08, 06:13 AM
Guys, can anybody help? This rotten ACER is playing up again. I had to give the computer the reformat thin the other week. Ever since, it seems like half of the RAM isn't working. This is most evident when playing music in itunes, watching a dvd or watching tv in windows media centre. The system hits 100% CPU usage even without running programmes. It didn't used to do this!

Is there any way to check if this is the case, and what can I do about it?

Cam
08-02-08, 08:15 AM
Guys, can anybody help? This rotten ACER is playing up again. I had to give the computer the reformat thin the other week. Ever since, it seems like half of the RAM isn't working. This is most evident when playing music in itunes, watching a dvd or watching tv in windows media centre. The system hits 100% CPU usage even without running programmes. It didn't used to do this!

Is there any way to check if this is the case, and what can I do about it?

Check you have all the latest drivers from Acer's website.

KLang
08-02-08, 08:25 AM
When you are running 100%, look in Task Manager to see which process is taking all the processor.

opinionated ow
08-02-08, 09:02 AM
Thanks mates, will give those a crack. FWIW it won't run solitaire, firefox, live messenger and adobe updater simultaneously without cracking the POOPS....

According to the sticker on the front it is:
AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-64 (2.2GHz, 2 x 512KB L2 cache)
Up to 1280MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS Turbocache
2GB DDR2

Insomniac
08-02-08, 11:44 AM
It's probably not a memory issue. My best guess is it's a codec issue if it happens when playing back media. It's possible you are running some inefficient ones or the wrong ones are associated as the default for those file types.

You can also use the task manager to view memory usage.

opinionated ow
08-02-08, 12:05 PM
It's probably not a memory issue. My best guess is it's a codec issue if it happens when playing back media. It's possible you are running some inefficient ones or the wrong ones are associated as the default for those file types.

You can also use the task manager to view memory usage.

It isn't just playing media though, the whole system will lock up for no apparent reason! I guess I got what I paid for, typical ACER rubbish...

Insomniac
08-02-08, 12:21 PM
It isn't just playing media though, the whole system will lock up for no apparent reason! I guess I got what I paid for, typical ACER rubbish...

Ohhh, I thought it was just 100% CPU usage.

Cam
08-02-08, 12:57 PM

What's the model? :irked:

opinionated ow
08-02-08, 10:09 PM
What's the model? :irked:

Acer Aspire 5520G. Acer want to send it away for 10 days to Sydney to fix it, but I sort of need it in my studies here in Adelaide so we have a problem!

opinionated ow
08-04-08, 10:40 AM
Well, it is now so shagged it will have to be sent away. Not Happy Jan!