08-01-08, 05:16 PM
Ahhh to be in high school again

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/Schlitz.gif

http://www.schlitzgusto.com/home.asp

oddlycalm
08-01-08, 05:25 PM
When you're out of Schlitz you're out of beer :gomer:

Yup, quarts of Schlitz were pretty much the cheapest beer available as I recall the murky past. We had no idea what good beer tasted like and we probably wouldn't have liked it anyway.

The Delta Cafe here in Portland serves quarts of Pabst on ice in a small tin garden buckets which is also a taste that recalls the past accurately. The semi-formal presentation is pure New Orleans though. :thumbup:

oc

Ankf00
08-01-08, 05:27 PM
The Delta Cafe here in Portland serves quarts of Pabst on ice in a small tin garden buckets which is also a taste that recalls the past accurately. The semi-formal presentation is pure New Orleans though. :thumbup:

oc

this, I want some of this! w/ Lonestar of course... after all, a man's gotta have standards :gomer:

dando
08-01-08, 05:28 PM
http://www.schlitzgusto.com/home.asp

Copyright 2007 on the site. :gomer: Must be the last time they brewed a batch.

Note to parents: don't let yer kiddies build a beer can pyramid in their bedroom like mine did back in the 70s. Just sayin'...... :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
08-01-08, 05:51 PM
Copyright 2007 on the site. :gomer: Must be the last time they brewed a batch.
One theory I recall being discussed at some length during a long double header was that they simply piped the urinals in major league baseball stadiums directly to secret Schlitz bottling plants under the stadiums. That's why we always drank the Stroh's when at the ball park of course....

oc

dando
08-01-08, 05:56 PM
One theory I recall being discussed at some length during a long double header was that they simply piped the urinals in major league baseball stadiums directly to secret Schlitz bottling plants under the stadiums. That's why we always drank the Stroh's when at the ball park of course....

oc

Dats the excuse we use for PBR @n BWs around here. :gomer: :)

Oh, Stroh's.... :) :yuck:

-Kevin

RusH
08-01-08, 06:29 PM

oc

I did the wiki.

Shlitz is owned by Strohs, which is owned by Sapporo.:laugh:

Andrew Longman
08-01-08, 07:15 PM
Naw. Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one.

And proud sponsor of many champ car races at Pocono :thumbup:
8nrRlXlbWCU

stroker
08-01-08, 08:45 PM
draft Schlitz was GREAT. I'm curious about that website, though... "60's Formula"??? Are they micro-brewing?

RHR_Fan
08-01-08, 11:04 PM
Not that I know from experience, but a classmate told me once that "Schlitz gives you the *****."

extramundane
08-02-08, 12:38 AM
Schlitz makes you yearn for Black Label. :yuck:

Dirk Diggler
08-02-08, 02:05 AM

For us it didn't matter what it was, but it had to be in a long neck, because it looked oh-so-cool when Tom Selleck drank from them on Magnum, P.I.

:gomer:

Sean Malone
08-02-08, 10:16 AM
I remember me and my buddies throwing in for the last case on a Friday night. The pot would be a couple of crumpled up single dollars and the rest dimes and nickles. Enough for a case of Milwaukee's Best, which hardly even gave a buzz. Good times.

Don Quixote
08-02-08, 10:41 AM
Not that I know from experience, but a classmate told me once that "Schlitz gives you the *****.":laugh: And rumor has it that Strohs makes you **** fire! :laugh:

dando
08-02-08, 03:28 PM
:laugh: And rumor has it that Strohs makes you **** fire! :laugh:

Bob's bar on High Street on the south side of Graceland Mall...Stroh's on draft for fitty cent$. Place opens @ 6am. :thumbup: :D

I grew up on Stroh's. My grandfather was the GM of the local distributor for Stroh's and Miller. I had one a few years back to reminisce. :yuck: :saywhat:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
08-02-08, 06:20 PM
:laugh: And rumor has it that Strohs makes you **** fire! :laugh:

That might well have been true of the later industrial swill that was made under the Stroh's name, but I never drank any so I can comment.

I did drink a whole lot of it when it was all made at the brewery in Detroit. Out of the store it was pretty average US lager but the in-house brew at the brewery was really good beer. Every time I was back in town I'd visit the brewery for a tour and a couple free in-house beers. They piped that beer around the plant to the operating stations, something common in smaller breweries in early days. :D Back then, before they bought Schaeffer and then Schlitz, Stroh's was a small regional operation with a single brewery.

My grandfather was a steam fitter and machinist and he worked his way up to chief steam plant engineer at Goebel Brewing then moved across the street to Stroh's after they bought Goebel out. He wasn't real happy about it because he had been chief engineer at Goebel and had to work as a shift engineer at Stroh's. The upside is that used to bring home a lot of different brands they made fresh out of the bottling plant. :thumbup:

I got to be friends with the Stroh's ice cream delivery guy while I was working in a drug/liquor store one summer. He made sure we got all the special releases. Stroh's had added an ice cream operation to get them through prohibition. Under Peter Stroh the ice cream operation really didn't make much profit and they used it as a brand awareness tool. The deep burgundy freezer trucks and driver uniforms with gold scroll lettering looked great and the ice cream used nothing but the best ingredients. It eventually became a casualty of the cash crunch after Stroh's had over-expanded. The brand is still around in the Great Lakes states but it's not the same product it was.

Stroh's was just another local/regional products lost to the merger and acquisition lust, resulting market pressures and third generation lack of fortitude. IMO that's not been an enhancement to our world.

oc

dando
08-02-08, 06:37 PM
That might well have been true of the later industrial swill that was made under the Stroh's name, but I never drank any so I can comment.

I did drink a whole lot of it when it was all made at the brewery in Detroit. Out of the store it was pretty average US lager but the in-house brew at the brewery was really good beer. Every time I was back in town I'd visit the brewery for a tour and a couple free in-house beers. They piped that beer around the plant to the operating stations, something common in smaller breweries in early days. :D Back then, before they bought Schaeffer and then Schlitz, Stroh's was a small regional operation with a single brewery.

My grandfather was a steam fitter and machinist and he worked his way up to chief steam plant engineer at Goebel Brewing then moved across the street to Stroh's after they bought Goebel out. He wasn't real happy about it because he had been chief engineer at Goebel and had to work as a shift engineer at Stroh's. The upside is that used to bring home a lot of different brands they made fresh out of the bottling plant. :thumbup:

I got to be friends with the Stroh's ice cream delivery guy while I was working in a drug/liquor store one summer. He made sure we got all the special releases. Stroh's had added an ice cream operation to get them through prohibition. Under Peter Stroh the ice cream operation really didn't make much profit and they used it as a brand awareness tool. The deep burgundy freezer trucks and driver uniforms with gold scroll lettering looked great and the ice cream used nothing but the best ingredients. It eventually became a casualty of the cash crunch after Stroh's had over-expanded. The brand is still around in the Great Lakes states but it's not the same product it was.

Stroh's was just another local/regional products lost to the merger and acquisition lust, resulting market pressures and third generation lack of fortitude. IMO that's not been an enhancement to our world.

oc

Yup. The fire brewed process they used prior to the 90's made for a uniquely tasting beer (tasty, IMHO). Unfortunately they devolved into a third rate product in the 90s and a contract brewer....especially after 'beers' the likes of Bud Light and Miller Lite took over much of the market. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
08-02-08, 08:05 PM

oc oc: When did the change occur, and did it happen gradually or was it an overnight kind of thing? We drank Strohs in the mid to late 1970's and I always thought it was pretty good. I remember drinking some Strohs Bock in about 1977, and it was unique and pretty good. Maybe it was even an authentic bock at that time rather than adding carmel color to the regular product. I left the midwest in 1979, and I remember coming back a few years later to visit my folks and buying a six pack of strohs and it was awful. I wondered if the product changed or did my taste change?

dando
08-02-08, 08:37 PM
oc: When did the change occur, and did it happen gradually or was it an overnight kind of thing? We drank Strohs in the mid to late 1970's and I always thought it was pretty good. I remember drinking some Strohs Bock in about 1977, and it was unique and pretty good. Maybe it was even an authentic bock at that time rather than adding carmel color to the regular product. I left the midwest in 1979, and I remember coming back a few years later to visit my folks and buying a six pack of strohs and it was awful. I wondered if the product changed or did my taste change?

Stroh's fell apart in the mid to late-80s and early-90s due to over expansion and competition. IMO, the slide started in the mid-80s, which is when I worked @ the local distributor counting inventory out and in each day (pay sucked, but the bennies were allsome). :) It was pretty clear @ the time that Stroh's wasn't selling very well and the distributor's focus had changed to Miller Lite. IMO, when they expanded and started using other facilities to brew Stroh's, the quality sagged. Today it's definitely not the beer I sampled while growing up. :yuck: :irked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh%27s

-Kevin

SteveH
08-02-08, 10:33 PM
drank a lot of Strohs in the 70s, along with a lot of everything else :)

Andrew Longman
08-02-08, 10:46 PM
oc: When did the change occur, and did it happen gradually or was it an overnight kind of thing?

Stroh's had one brewery in Detroit, their "fire brewed" process and Detroit River water. You couldn't get it too far from Michigan, and like Coors originally, it made it a little special.

In the mid 80s, consolidation hit the beer business big time and Stroh's had to grow or die. They tried, buying up a lot of brand... Heilemanns, and a bunch of others IIRC. I know they started brewing Stroh's not far from me in a Lehigh Valley brewery that used to be Schaefer's. But they also tore down their old plant next to Tiger Stadium, squandered whatever was special about their brand and in the end had nowhere near the capital to compete with Miller and AB.

Their brands and brewing capacity got gobbled up and sold off. The LV brewery here now makes Coors. The brands got sold/licensed off if they could find a buyer.

oddlycalm
08-03-08, 04:58 PM
Stroh's had one brewery in Detroit, their "fire brewed" process and Detroit River water. You couldn't get it too far from Michigan, and like Coors originally, it made it a little special.

In the mid 80s, consolidation hit the beer business big time and Stroh's had to grow or die. They tried, buying up a lot of brand... Heilemanns, and a bunch of others IIRC. I know they started brewing Stroh's not far from me in a Lehigh Valley brewery that used to be Schaefer's.
Yup, exactly right Andrew. Stroh's bought Schaefer in 1981 which took them from 6 million to 40 million gallons, then Schlitz in 1982 which made them the 3rd largest US brewer, and duking out with Miller and AB from a distant 3rd was suicidal.

Don Quixote: The bock beer was indeed the real deal using caramelized malt, etc. They did a run every year and it got so popular it became very hard to get. I agree, that was really decent beer considering it was $1.40 a six pack.

oc

SteveH
08-03-08, 05:15 PM
Heilemanns,

OT, wonder whatever happened to Larry Heileman who used to post on 7G. Larry was from the beer family and of course lived in WI. Good guy.

cameraman
08-03-08, 06:41 PM
Slightly off topic but hell just froze over....

For the first time since the repeal of Prohibition, people in Utah may buy whiskey, vodka and high-alcohol beer at a local distillery or brewery instead of trekking to a state-controlled liquor outlet for a bottle or six pack.
The rule change, approved Wednesday by the Utah Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission, means that Wasatch and Squatters beers, containing alcohol higher than 3.2 percent by weight, will no longer be shipped to the 14-story state warehouse in Salt Lake City - and then trucked back to pubs in Salt Lake and Park City.
"This helps us with quality control," said Amy Cody, spokeswoman for Salt Lake Brewing Co. "Before, we had to ship our [heavy] beers in warm trucks and store them in an unrefrigerated warehouse. For the best taste, beers should be cold."
The so-called Type 5 package license affects Salt Lake Brewing Co., Utah Brewers Cooperative and High West Distillery, all located in Salt Lake City.

Yay, yay, yay. I drive right by the breweries all the time - now there is a reason to stop.:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

dando
08-03-08, 08:35 PM
Yup, exactly right Andrew. Stroh's bought Schaefer in 1981 which took them from 6 million to 40 million gallons, then Schlitz in 1982 which made them the 3rd largest US brewer, and duking out with Miller and AB from a distant 3rd was suicidal.

Don Quixote: The bock beer was indeed the real deal using caramelized malt, etc. They did a run every year and it got so popular it became very hard to get. I agree, that was really decent beer considering it was $1.40 a six pack.

oc

The "fire brewed" process remains today, but one must wonder how the expansion impacted the brews in the early-80s. There is no doubt that water is a huge factor in brews and baked goods everywhere. I'm certain this is why many breads on the east coast are better than they are here. What did a typical 6-pack run back in the 80s? I was buying illegal or on breakage sales for much of the early to mid-80s, so I don't really recall. :D All I rememberize is that I had a full fridge of Stroh's while breakers in an off-campus apartment while @ OSU. :D

-Kevin

dando
08-03-08, 08:36 PM
Slightly off topic but hell just froze over....

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I drive right by the breweries all the time - now there is a reason to stop.:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats. The Utards finally joined SC in abandoning out-dated licker laws. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Indy
08-03-08, 09:58 PM
I just rediscovered an old college favorite: Huber. Apparently moved the brewery from Fort Wayne to somewhere in Wisconson. Cheaper than Badweiser and it is good basic beer. I like the Bock. :gomer:

Don Quixote
08-03-08, 11:06 PM
Do they still make Weideman? That was my dad's beer of choice, in long neck returnable bottles. I think it was made in Zinzinnati. I would love to sit on the back porch and drink one with him right now. :(

stroker
08-03-08, 11:13 PM
I just rediscovered an old college favorite: Huber. Apparently moved the brewery from Fort Wayne to somewhere in Wisconson. Cheaper than Badweiser and it is good basic beer. I like the Bock. :gomer:

Far as I know Huber never moved from it's humble little town near where I used to live. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Yah, the Bock is really good.

Indy
08-04-08, 10:26 PM
Far as I know Huber never moved from it's humble little town near where I used to live. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Yah, the Bock is really good.

Maybe I am wrong about Fort Wayne. I always thought it was local here in Indianatucky.

Methanolandbrats
08-04-08, 10:30 PM

Yah, the Bock is really good. Monroe WI. Second oldest brewery in the USA :thumbup:

chop456
08-05-08, 04:39 AM
Monroe WI. Second oldest brewery in the USA :thumbup:

And home to Baumgartner's Cheese Store and Tavern, which rules. Opened in 1931. Local beer, local cheese, and a Limburger & onion sandwich w/chips is $3. :thumbup::)

The Empty Bottle in Chicago used to have Huber Bock for $1. No idea if they still do, though I doubt it. Haven't been there in years.