PDA

View Full Version : Diet Soda at Restaurants

Insomniac
08-01-08, 02:44 PM
This has bothered me for a long time. Why don't any restaurants have Diet soda besides Diet Cola? Is it too much to ask to have Diet 7-Up, Diet Sierra Mist or Diet Sprite? Even when I go into the office, it never fails that Sprite Zero is empty and there is tons of regular Sprite in the machine. I'm always forced to order water or regular clear soda. :flame:

tllips
08-01-08, 03:16 PM
Fuddrucker's in Addison, IL has Diet Dr. Pepper.

I also think some Panera's and/or Subway's have Diet Sierra Mist. I've seen it, I just don't remember which one had it.

But, in general you are quite correct.

Gnam
08-01-08, 03:30 PM
When the waiter informs you they don't have any, order a beer instead. Compared to regular cola, it's gotta be healthier. Alcohol kills germs, right? :p

JLMannin
08-01-08, 04:12 PM
Chipoltle has Coka-Cola Zero. Taco Bell used to have diet Rd Pepper, and I think Chik-fil-A does as well.

Methanolandbrats
08-01-08, 04:30 PM
Don't drink that ****, it's poison. If it's too early in the day for beer, drink water or unsweetened tea.

SteveH
08-01-08, 06:32 PM
If it's too early in the day for beer,

Huh? Too early for beer? :D

devilmaster
08-01-08, 06:58 PM
This has bothered me for a long time. Why don't any restaurants have Diet soda besides Diet Cola?

I suppose it's mostly bout supply and demand. When I order premix canisters for the pizzeria its like this - 10 coke, 6 diet coke, and then 1 ginger ale and 1 sprite on every -other- order.... the last two just don't sell that much.

We do offer stewart's diet root beer, but to be honest, I might buy a case of 12 of those every month or so.

Its probably not worth having all of them sit round.

Andrew Longman
08-01-08, 07:07 PM
Don't drink that ****, it's poison. If it's too early in the day for beer, drink water, unsweetened tea or beer.

Fixed it for ya.

Agree. The diet stuff is not to be touched. It will surely give you cancer or brain damage. :gomer: If you need sweet then eat sweet. If you can't do sweet then have the self control to do something else. Fake food sucks. Don't eat Blue Food either

swift
08-01-08, 07:15 PM
I feel your pain, brother. The only franchise I know where I can get a clear diet soft drink is Mr. Sub (http://www.mrsub.ca/). I can get a sprite zero (can or plastic bottle) whenever I grab my grilled chicken subs. I've only seen Mr Sub's in Canada; I don't know if they've expanded into the U.S.

At all other fast-food places I ask for a juice.

WickerBill
08-01-08, 08:44 PM
T-Bell has Diet Dew -- as does Penn Station. My local Chick Fil A has Diet Dr. Pepper.

Insomniac
08-02-08, 11:33 AM
I suppose it's mostly bout supply and demand. When I order premix canisters for the pizzeria its like this - 10 coke, 6 diet coke, and then 1 ginger ale and 1 sprite on every -other- order.... the last two just don't sell that much.

We do offer stewart's diet root beer, but to be honest, I might buy a case of 12 of those every month or so.

Its probably not worth having all of them sit round.

Interesting. I figured there would be more interest in diet sodas for some reason. I really don't taste much difference between Sprite and Sprite Zero. I'd rather take the zero calories. It isn't particularly sweet, but it is carbonated. I just prefer (clear) soda with Italian and Mexican food. Water or juice works for everything else and I'll drink it sometimes instead of regular Sprite.

swift
12-15-08, 12:46 AM
They had this (sugar-free) available at the fountain dispenser, when I went to Quizno's last week. Washed down an angus beef sub with it. :drool:
http://www.virtualvender.coca-cola.com/images/html/htmgHtml774.jpg

cameraman
12-15-08, 12:51 AM

Do an experiment and offer Sprite Zero. I don't drink non-diet soda and I like something clear with pizza. There are a lot of places where I end up with water when I would have had the Sprite Zero if they had offered it.

indyfan31
12-15-08, 12:54 AM
I see the off-season boredom has set in. :rolleyes:

nrc
12-15-08, 02:05 AM
They had this (sugar-free) available at the fountain dispenser, when I went to Quizno's last week. Washed down an angus beef sub with it. :drool:

Prime rib and peppercorn. Extra toasty. :thumbup: Pepsi products. :thumdown:

Insomniac
12-15-08, 02:31 PM
Do an experiment and offer Sprite Zero. I don't drink non-diet soda and I like something clear with pizza. There are a lot of places where I end up with water when I would have had the Sprite Zero if they had offered it.

Exactly what happens to me. Although, some times I end up with regular, but I'm not happy about it.

extramundane
12-15-08, 03:29 PM
Fixed it for ya.

Agree. The diet stuff is not to be touched. It will surely give you cancer or brain damage.

...and perhaps, as I've found out firsthand, joint pain. I've been dealing with occasionally severe arthritis in one knee the last couple years and it's remarkable how much better it feels overall now that I've pretty much given up the stuff.

Insomniac
12-15-08, 05:18 PM
...and perhaps, as I've found out firsthand, joint pain. I've been dealing with occasionally severe arthritis in one knee the last couple years and it's remarkable how much better it feels overall now that I've pretty much given up the stuff.

How often were you drinking it before?

opinionated ow
12-15-08, 07:28 PM
A) What is Sierra Mist?
B) Why do people purchase diet soft drink with their fatty take-away foods? That is something I have NEVER understood!

A lot of places in Australia have selections of juice and bottled water as well as soft drink. McDonalds for some reason sells both Diet Coke and Coke Zero-I find that a tad odd!

G.
12-15-08, 08:04 PM
A) What is Sierra Mist?
B) Why do people purchase diet soft drink with their fatty take-away foods? That is something I have NEVER understood!

A lot of places in Australia have selections of juice and bottled water as well as soft drink. McDonalds for some reason sells both Diet Coke and Coke Zero-I find that a tad odd!

A). A Pepsi product that is similar to 7up, Sprite, etc. Clear, citris-y, etc. A thing to add to bad whisky.

B). Diet soda quenches your thirst and cuts through the fatty, salty goodness of take-away foods. And the irony makes people giggle. Sugar soda is liquid candy. Makes a good dessert, I s'pose.

TKGAngel
12-15-08, 08:25 PM
Included in next year's NYS budget is a tax on non-diet versions of soda pop, energy drinks and other high calorie goodies.

extramundane
12-15-08, 09:07 PM
How often were you drinking it before?

2-3/day usually. Sometimes more if I was working late and needed a caffeine bump. Now it's 1-2/week.

I'm sure a lot of people think the diet soda justifies getting the triple cheezburger instead of the double. In my case, even a small amount of soda sweetened with high fructose corn syrup makes my stomach hurt. On the rare occasion I stumble across a Mexican or kosher Coke (made with sugar) I don't have that problem, but it still tastes way too sweet.

devilmaster
12-15-08, 09:24 PM

I can look around. Honestly, I've never seen it, and its possible that its not sold in Canada.

We already sell way too much in my mind anyways, with the aforementioned coke,diet,GA and sprite, we offer a full line of Jones Colas, 3 flavours of Stewarts sodas, Brio chinotto, ginger beer, perrier, orangina, bottled water and i believe thats it for non-alcoholic.

nrc
12-15-08, 10:23 PM

A: At this point I prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular. Regular is too sweett.

B: Coke Zero is really a different flavor than Diet Coke.

Methanolandbrats
12-15-08, 10:39 PM
http://www.photoshoptalent.com/images/contests/white%20rat/fullsize/white%20rat_475dcd579f7fe.jpg

opinionated ow
12-16-08, 12:17 AM
A: At this point I prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular. Regular is too sweett.

B: Coke Zero is really a different flavor than Diet Coke.

Oh forgot about that, Corn Syrup Coke is supposed to be sweeter than Cane Sugar Coke which they sell here.

Diet soft drinks still contain all the probably substances related to Gulf War Syndrome. I'm still a bit iffy over them

Insomniac
12-16-08, 01:24 AM

Because they don't offer diet-fatty take-away foods. ;)

Insomniac
12-16-08, 01:26 AM
2-3/day usually. Sometimes more if I was working late and needed a caffeine bump. Now it's 1-2/week.

Thought I'd ask. I just had my knee shot up with cortisone. I generally don't drink more than 2 cans a week for as long as I can remember.

oddlycalm
12-16-08, 04:54 AM
Oh forgot about that, Corn Syrup Coke is supposed to be sweeter than Cane Sugar Coke which they sell here.
The cloying sweetness of high fructose corn syrup blows is an off taste to me. Cane sugar Coke from Mexico has a much cleaner flavor, but it's pricey.

I don't really have a dog in the fight though, and if not for family members I'd never taste any of it. My own taste in flavored water runs more to a bit of Mexican lime tossed in or a bit of dried mint from the garden.

oc

dando
12-16-08, 10:02 AM
Iced tea w/lemon, yo. :thumbup: :cool: Sweet tea == :thumdown:

-Kevin

extramundane
12-16-08, 01:13 PM
Thought I'd ask. I just had my knee shot up with cortisone. I generally don't drink more than 2 cans a week for as long as I can remember.

Yeah, you're probably not getting any joint-related ill-effects from it. I also started drinking a lot of pure cherry juice around the same time, so it could be the effects of that rather than eliminating artificial sweeteners.

Sean Malone
12-16-08, 02:26 PM
The only sodas I drink are from fountains and the variance between syrup and carbonated water ratio from one fountain to the next throws the taste subtleties right out the window. I prefer carbonated water but they want $3.50 a bottle at our cafeteria. Meh.

All soda's are too sweet for me to drink straight. Gotta have the ice .

Ankf00
12-16-08, 02:29 PM
or a bit of dried mint from the garden.

oc

i bet my mom would love this. thanks for scoring me some points :D

Andrew Longman
12-16-08, 02:51 PM
... or a bit of dried mint from the garden.

I prefer fresh mint. Good with unsweet ice tea.

I grow mine in a big pot, so it doesn't take over everything.

And so I can bring it in to have fresh mint (and Mojitos) in the winter. :D

TKGAngel
12-16-08, 02:58 PM
Iced tea w/lemon, yo. :thumbup: :cool: Sweet tea == :thumdown:

-Kevin

Unsweetened tea rocks. If I'm served sweet tea, there better be a bunch of ice in it to melt and lessen the sugar.

Ankf00
12-16-08, 03:55 PM
sweet tea is why this map exists and where all the endocrinologists live :gomer:

http://myhaven.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/obesitystates.jpg