PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else notice...

stroker
07-27-08, 11:43 PM
that the Sleds were only 5 (five on a 1 minute lap) seconds faster than the Atlantics in qualifying trim?

Which to me demands an answer to the question:

How cheaply can you make a Swift 10% faster?

FCYTravis
07-28-08, 12:01 AM
My guess is that the limiting factor on the 016 is the gearbox. How much torque is it designed to handle?

If the transaxle can handle another 100-150 horsies, I wouldn't think it too difficult to drop a V6 in there... or turbocharge the I4 ;)

miatanut
07-28-08, 12:02 AM
We were having some fun with that just recently:
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14655

I'd love to see that!

Something with a little less power than a Crapwagon, but lighter weight, less downforce/drag. Decent lap times, back end stepping out any time a driver is under pressure. If the ALMS unit (non-stressed) could be adapted without completely redoing it, it could be very cost effective.

FCYTravis
07-28-08, 12:07 AM
One could always just use a small steel subframe for the engine and semi-stress it, like they did with the old 1.6 litre Cosworth and Toyota Atlantics engines, or the FF2000 Pinto and Zetec mills.

http://www.mikeandersonracing.com/images/Swift%20014.a%201.jpg

miatanut
07-28-08, 12:24 AM
My guess is that the limiting factor on the 016 is the gearbox. How much torque is it designed to handle?

If the transaxle can handle another 100-150 horsies, I wouldn't think it too difficult to drop a V6 in there... or turbocharge the I4 ;)

Keep in mind, the gearbox mostly just cares about torque. Not HP (how fast it's spinning at a given torque). If the "Swift/Hewland SG-4" is based on the SGT, at 450 ft-lbs, they should have some room yet. If not, Hewland should have something else in the line which could work! http://www.hewland.com/svga/gearbox_range_current.htm

miatanut
07-28-08, 12:25 AM
One could always just use a small steel subframe for the engine and semi-stress it, like they did with the old 1.6 litre Cosworth and Toyota Atlantics engines, or the FF2000 Pinto and Zetec mills.

http://www.mikeandersonracing.com/images/Swift%20014.a%201.jpg

That would be cool!

FCYTravis
07-28-08, 12:26 AM
Keep in mind, the gearbox mostly just cares about torque.
Right, I was mixing my metaphors a bit... what I meant to say was that any engine with a meaningful enough power bump (or a turbocharger) to get past IRL speeds, would definitely put more torque down :)

stroker
07-28-08, 09:56 AM
I would think the 016 box was selected for durability and cost within the concept of Atlantics being a ladder class. Once you've determined the mill needs to be 1.1, 1.3 (whatever) the hp output necessary to achieve your goals, finding a box necessary shouldn't be that big of a deal. Somebody around here must know whether that would require a chassis redesign.

Do the Atlantics run a spec "hard" tire? How much would you gain simply by going to all-out racing tires?

Easy
07-28-08, 11:14 AM
I would think the 016 box was selected for durability and cost within the concept of Atlantics being a ladder class. Once you've determined the mill needs to be 1.1, 1.3 (whatever) the hp output necessary to achieve your goals, finding a box necessary shouldn't be that big of a deal. Somebody around here must know whether that would require a chassis redesign.

I don't know about the 016 but previous Atlantic gearboxes didn't last very long if treated harshly. Some classes you can bang on the gears for ages but the 008 and 014 boxes show signs of rough treatment quickly.

If you wanted to run a lower HP car faster and cheaper than an ICS sled just grab a World Series by Renault Dallara. It will be cheaper than re-engineering an 016.

miatanut
07-28-08, 08:09 PM
Right, I was mixing my metaphors a bit... what I meant to say was that any engine with a meaningful enough power bump (or a turbocharger) to get past IRL speeds, would definitely put more torque down :)

I'm just being picky! :D

Still, if it's a 450 ft-lb 'box, they should have some room to play before the 'box becomes limiting.

grungex
07-28-08, 08:24 PM
I don't think boxes meant for Atlantic-sized cars tend to have nearly that much torque capacity.