PDA

View Full Version : Wow

Racing Truth
07-26-08, 07:27 PM
THAT may be the biggest atrocity of a broadcast I have EVER seen for a live North American motorsports event. Bob Jenkins actually made me nostalgic for Marty Reid.:yuck:

You know, judging by the ticker on top, I think quite a bit happened from 3rd on back. Too bad we never SAW IT!!!

Too bad Jon had to be teamed with that abortion.

dando
07-26-08, 08:04 PM
Yup. The "broadcast partner" obviously put the second team in for this race. Brilliant! :shakehead

And no, I could not watch the race until the end. This was as awful as tuning into the LBGP circa '04 to hear F. Bob Jenkins calling the race. :saywhat: :flame: :yuck:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
07-26-08, 08:15 PM
I'm only on Lap 43 of this thing, but there are other drivers besides Helio on the track, right?

Andrew Longman
07-26-08, 09:03 PM
I tried. Really tried. And slept through almost the entire thing. What happened?

TKGAngel
07-26-08, 09:10 PM
I tried. Really tried. And slept through almost the entire thing. What happened?

- Graham's pissed at someone (I missed who) for taking him out of the race.

- There's going to be a heck of a post-race debrief at AGR. Danica was having "radio problems" and wouldn't move over for Kanaan, despite being asked repeated by her crew. Later, Marco wouldn't move over for Kanaan, despite being asked by his crew. Marco even went so far as to tell his crew that if he's asked one more time to move over for TK, that there would be a problem when Marco got out of the car.

cameraman
07-26-08, 09:15 PM
There's going to be a heck of a post-race debrief at AGR. Danica was having "radio problems" and wouldn't move over for Kanaan, despite being asked repeated by her crew. Later, Marco wouldn't move over for Kanaan, despite being asked by his crew. Marco even went so far as to tell his crew that if he's asked one more time to move over for TK, that there would be a problem when Marco got out of the car.

Were they being lapped at the time:confused:

Gary
07-26-08, 11:32 PM
They're dead meat.

After all the pissin' & moanin' that CC had to go away for American open wheel to survive... when in reality the controversy of the 'split' was the only thing that was keeping them alive. Now it's gone.

They're dead meat.

The real reason: CC fans came because they loved the series. With the IRL, there's nothing to love. All they know how to do is trick people into coming using pure hype.

Hey, Robin Miller, you sure know how to pick 'em. You honeestly believe that 26 cars that no one can possibly love will fix the problem of only 13 cars that no one can possibly love.

Idiot! I spit in your face, and anyone else's that has anything to do with this phony crap!

Audi_A4
07-26-08, 11:36 PM
They're dead meat.

After all the pissin' & moanin' that CC had to go away for American open wheel to survive... when in reality the controversy of the 'split' was the only thing that was keeping them alive. Now it's gone.

They're dead meat.
!

Man, thats really gonna suck!

Sean Malone
07-26-08, 11:48 PM
PT came 5th. Take that Danickel!:rofl:

TravelGal
07-27-08, 02:04 AM
PT came 5th. Take that Danickel!:rofl:

I'm sure Servia wishes you were right. Jenkins was never my fave but I cut him some slack because it's the first race he's done (I think; I'm not too clear on those announcers, or is that THEY are not too clear?). In any event, he harped on Tracy most of the race which was music to my ears. The sound of the cars, not so much. Especially with my brain expecting the turbo tune at an Edmonton race.

TravelMom is visiting and said, "I'll go to bed now. The sound of those cars is too much." It was just a pure noise comment, nothing to do with the cars or the leeeg or the competition. I smiled.

indyfan31
07-27-08, 02:47 AM
This is only the second one I've watched this year, and it was just as bad the last one. THESE are the "top tier" drivers in American open wheel racing???
They're a bunch of buffoons. OMG, two stray tires, Marco running into anything that moved, another series of drivers losing it during a FCY, one announcer can't get past the first to cars in line before his memory goes astray, the other on thinks his audience is a bunch of 8-year-olds.

That's it, I'm ordering my Long Beach tickets as soon as they're available. This circus is going to be unforgettable when they get to Turn One.

shaggy_socal
07-27-08, 05:31 AM
IIRC Bob Jenkins usually does the radio broadcasts for the IRL races, so calling a race should not be new to him. it could be that he's not used to the production chatter that's rattling through their headsets.

I also was very annoyed with the quality of the coverage. It's fine to highlight the leader for a bit, but for cryin' out loud if the leader's put a good gap on the field than find the next closest fight and cover it. :mad:

The TV directors should spend some time outside the booth and watch a race live for a change.

It would've been nice to see where PT passed Servia on the last lap.

As for AGR, anyone remember when it was a driver love fest with Kanaan, Franchitti, Herta and Wheldon? My how things have changed.

IMO, Marco needs to get off of Daddy's team and drive for someone else.

cart7
07-27-08, 08:32 AM

As for AGR, anyone remember when it was a driver love fest with Kanaan, Franchitti, Herta and Wheldon? My how things have changed.

Ding Ding.

There's 2 sideshows going on there causing the meltdown.

First, the Danicle show. Gobs of attention being paid to a mid-pack driver. The father chained to the transporter to keep him from hurting himself and others when his little girl's car sucks which seems to be every race and from the minute the green flag falls. Question? How do you get the princess of pout to drive faster? Trick pit schemes only really work once in a blue moon.

Marco the even lesser. The only things this kid hasn't hit are the safety truck (Mario) and the pace car. The racing DNA must have gotten mutated on the transfer from Michael to Sandy. Maybe they could trade N/H/L, Marco for Graham.

dando
07-27-08, 10:00 AM
Were they being lapped at the time:confused:

Nope. TK is the only AGR driver with a chance to win the championship, so they wanted to give him a shot @ running up front, but Micro and Danicle wouldn't cooperate. :laugh: :rofl: :tony:

-Kevin

Accipiter
07-27-08, 10:59 AM
Nope. TK is the only AGR driver with a chance to win the championship, so they wanted to give him a shot @ running up front, but Micro and Danicle wouldn't cooperate. :laugh: :rofl: :tony:

-Kevin

Wow, that makes me almost respect them. Almost.

I missed the race because my newspaper didn't seem to think it was important enough to include in the sports section's TV listings. I did have the Grand National race ruined by the presence of Jackaroo however, so as bad as Jenkins was, at least you didn't have to listen to him.

dando
07-27-08, 11:13 AM
I did have the Grand National race ruined by the presence of Jackaroo however, so as bad as Jenkins was, at least you didn't have to listen to him.

The ONLY bright spot of the broadcast was Jon. :saywhat: Boob Jenkins + Scooter Goodyawn == :yuck:

:irked:

-Kevin

cameraman
07-27-08, 12:34 PM

-Kevin

So what was he doing behind them??? If it was an early pit on his part (and why that would be is another question) why didn't they just bring Micro/Daniker in to get them out of the way?

TKGAngel
07-27-08, 12:51 PM
So what was he doing behind them??? If it was an early pit on his part (and why that would be is another question) why didn't they just bring Micro/Daniker in to get them out of the way?

IIRC, TK had to start at the back of the pack for changing an engine after qualies. AGR was using the early pit strategery to move him up in the field and out of harms way. Unfortunately, I don't think they counted on Marco and Danica's refusal to play nice when they developed the strategery.

SurfaceUnits
07-27-08, 01:05 PM
Marco the even lesser. The only things this kid hasn't hit are the safety truck (Mario) and the pace car. The racing DNA must have gotten mutated on the transfer from Michael to Sandy. Maybe they could trade N/H/L, Marco for Graham.
the only hope MAACO has of seeing Europe is on a honeymoon - the Eiffel tower and Big Ben

dando
07-27-08, 02:04 PM
IIRC, TK had to start at the back of the pack for changing an engine after qualies. AGR was using the early pit strategery to move him up in the field and out of harms way. Unfortunately, I don't think they counted on Marco and Danica's refusal to play nice when they developed the strategery.

Correctomundo. He wrecked his ride during practice, and broked the engine, so they had to replace it and he started DFL.

-Kevin

Racing Truth
07-27-08, 06:56 PM
IIRC Bob Jenkins usually does the radio broadcasts for the IRL races, so calling a race should not be new to him. it could be that he's not used to the production chatter that's rattling through their headsets.

I also was very annoyed with the quality of the coverage. It's fine to highlight the leader for a bit, but for cryin' out loud if the leader's put a good gap on the field than find the next closest fight and cover it. :mad:

The TV directors should spend some time outside the booth and watch a race live for a change.

It would've been nice to see where PT passed Servia on the last lap.

shaggy FTW!

I missed Champ Cars, but I don't think it was as awful as some are saying. PT moved from 16th to 4th, and from what I could tell (no thanks to ESPN), the action from 3rd on back was good. We just didn't see it.:shakehead

EDIT: And Jenkins has no excuse. He did this for years at ESPN/ABC, so there shouldn't be an adjustment.