PDA

View Full Version : Jet lag anyone?

oddlycalm
07-23-08, 04:04 PM
A pulmonary therapist I know has taken a little finger tip pulse/oximeter with her on some recent flights. She tried it on herself and others while sitting and moving around for an unscientific study. It really put jet lag in stark perspective.

Readings while sitting were 86-90% and while moving around they plummet below 80%. The flight attendants she checked were all in the 72%-78% range. :eek:

For context, sustained saturation levels below 90% are not recommended for healthy people. Saturation levels below 80% and you are seriously stressing your system cardio system. Flight attendants working at sat levels in the mid-70's sounds crazy to me. WTF, the union was worried about 2nd hand smoke but not blood oxigen levels in the 70's?

There are a couple studies on Google, one that actually did arterial blood draws to check blood gasses, that confirm my friend's informal results. I'm stunned that after 45yrs of flying that I'm just hearing about this now. Am I the last person in the world to hear about this...?

oc

coolhand
07-23-08, 04:12 PM
There are plenty of FA's still flying who started working in the 60s. They are living on. A lot of variables here to consider before we can come to a conclusion. I would bet the effects would be more mental before physical looking at the issues high altitude climbers have.

cameraman
07-23-08, 04:13 PM
Haven't the airlines recently increased the cabin altitude to save money?
I thought I read that but maybe not:confused:

Gnam
07-23-08, 06:53 PM
You know what would be a good scam...er revenue stream for the airlines? Offer access to the overhead oxygen masks for $20, but just pump recycled cabin air through them. It would have the added benefit of shutting up the lady behind you yakking on about nothing, or at the least muffle her voice. :p

oddlycalm
07-24-08, 02:50 PM
There are plenty of FA's still flying who started working in the 60s. They are living on. A lot of variables here to consider before we can come to a conclusion. I would bet the effects would be more mental before physical looking at the issues high altitude climbers have.
Actually, the results of chronic partial hypoxia are well understood. The result is a loss of cognitive function and pulmonary hypertension.

oc