PDA

View Full Version : Overnights & Rumors

NismoZ
07-21-08, 07:00 PM
ALMS 0.7/2...MotoGP 0.9/2... IndyCar 1.5... F-1:thumdown:...Forsythe Racing, " I'd say the ALMS and Indy Car programs are about 95% done," Siwieck...already in Lights..."The Subway Indy Car World Series" (not to be confused with a Mets/Yankees matchup)...Indy Cars at Barber in Ala.?, '09 or '10, top of the list for new venues (ahead of RA!?:saywhat:) Instructors at the Porsche Sport Performance driving school talked about it when I was down there a few weeks ago....Honda wants a turbo for the ICS (Brainfart, too, remember?) We'll see.

Insomniac
07-21-08, 07:48 PM
ALMS 0.7/2...MotoGP 0.9/2... IndyCar 1.5... F-1:thumdown:...Forsythe Racing, " I'd say the ALMS and Indy Car programs are about 95% done," Siwieck...already in Lights..."The Subway Indy Car World Series" (not to be confused with a Mets/Yankees matchup)...Indy Cars at Barber in Ala.?, '09 or '10, top of the list for new venues (ahead of RA!?:saywhat:) Instructors at the Porsche Sport Performance driving school talked about it when I was down there a few weeks ago....Honda wants a turbo for the ICS (Brainfart, too, remember?) We'll see.

It's pretty coincidental that now that my local Subway (final straw was this weekend) has turned into a bunch of a-holes they now will be the title sponsor for the IRL.

STD
07-21-08, 08:39 PM
Wow the big time.

stroker
07-21-08, 11:40 PM
If they replaced Princess with Jared I'd be okay with that...

Sean Malone
07-21-08, 11:51 PM
Sorry, sandwich shops should not be title sponsors fo supposed top tier motorsport series.

"official sandwich" fine, but title sponsor! Blah.

opinionated ow
07-22-08, 02:55 AM
Sorry, sandwich shops should not be title sponsors fo supposed top tier motorsport series.

WTF? Are you mad? Do you have any idea how big Subway is (not just in the USA either-there are more Subway's than MCDonalds here)? Subway would be a huge coup

chop456
07-22-08, 05:31 AM
If we're lucky, maybe they'll activate the sponsorship by racing inside various subway tunnels from now on.

Rus'L
07-22-08, 08:08 AM

Money is money.

Besides, like someone else said, they are now bigger than McDonald's. Should they turn down a McDonald's title sponsorship? And what makes a sandwich shop different than a soft drink, say if Coke wanted to be the title sponsor?

Frankly, I'm shocked they might actually pull this off to the tune of $10 million a year, if those rumored numbers are true. That's way more than CART ever got from FedEx (rumored to be about $3 million a year) even when you consider inflation.

Ziggy
07-22-08, 08:58 AM
Money is money.

Frankly, I'm shocked they might actually pull this off to the tune of $10 million a year, if those rumored numbers are true. That's way more than CART ever got from FedEx (rumored to be about $3 million a year) even when you consider inflation.

Please share you source. Then factor in how much benefit CART recieved for getting free shipping......... and then add the PPG money

KLang
07-22-08, 09:10 AM
Isn't there a different Title Sponsor rumor every year? How many in the past have panned out? :laugh:

Given the TV ratings and attendence of the earl shows I can't imagine how any company could justify throwing away multiple millions. I'm guessing Official Sandwich is probably more likely.

Don Quixote
07-22-08, 09:39 AM
I can't imagine any big successful company being stupid enough to throw $10 million down that rathole. They would get maybe $77.50 worth of benefit from that brilliant investment. Let me guess, the person that had the $10 million figure is the same one that saw the ABC contract. Its probably a sammich for naming rights trade. :laugh:

High Sided
07-22-08, 09:42 AM
subway, kodak, or 3 others in the running. idny iz famouse agin :gomer:

Paul Tracy running subway on his sledpods at edmonton

http://thescore.ibj.com/content/?p=382

Chief
07-22-08, 09:45 AM
Lets do the time warp again....

KLang
07-22-08, 10:10 AM
http://thescore.ibj.com/content/?p=382

But Kodak has emerged with a strategy of using up-scale sports to try to become more relevant with its target market, and the IRL would seem to fit that mold. :rofl: the earl is up-scale? :rofl:

I wonder if Tracy's Subway deal is just the Canadian arm of the company.

NismoZ
07-22-08, 10:13 AM
Yes, I read Kodak and at "least" one other title sponsor under consideration. One said mid to high 7 figures which has to be 7 figures more than the series is getting now. We recall the Fed Ex deal with fondness but I don't think it was THAT much. (?) Memory has me thinking Mazda was in CC for 5 mil? Hmmmm...Paul Tracy in "the racing sandwich" or the "subway car?" THAT would be confusing for 1st time viewers. I'd rather see Kodak but 29,000+ stores might put Subway in a better bargaining position. Also Rahal in the Edmonton Oilers car to the tune of a $500,000 contribution to the Hole In The Wall Camps!:thumbup::thumbup: Now, if he wins and PT comes 2nd we'll know "The Call" was given!:D

Cam
07-22-08, 10:19 AM
Subway brand is owned by Doctors, Inc.

The IRL having contributed so nicely to the coffers of so many in medical profession, I can think of no better naming sponsor. :gomer:

stroker
07-22-08, 10:19 AM
Lets do the time warp again....

IT'S JUST A JUMP TO THE LEFT!

Rus'L
07-22-08, 10:39 AM
Please share you source. Then factor in how much benefit CART recieved for getting free shipping......... and then add the PPG money

I'm talking the title sponsor -- when FedEx was the title sponsor, PPG no longer was, though PPG was still kicking in some money for awhile after that.

When FedEx left CART, there were a number of articles that talked about their sponsorship, and it turned out they were not giving that much after all was said and done. And I think the free shipping was factored into that $3 million. I believe (Ehud may know this) that the original bankruptcy documents made mention to what FedEx was providing.

Sean Malone
07-22-08, 10:57 AM
WTF? Are you mad? Do you have any idea how big Subway is (not just in the USA either-there are more Subway's than MCDonalds here)? Subway would be a huge coup

I can't wait for my Subway indy Car t-shirt!! :gomer:

One thing about Subway, they do love to advertise.

TRDfan
07-22-08, 03:35 PM
Conspiracy theory...

Tony Stewart is in some Subway commericals....

Tony Stewart will have his (kind of) own team next year....

Tony must be coming back to Indy !!!!!!!!!!!

Accipiter
07-22-08, 05:20 PM
Don't forget the IRL got a ratings bump because golf ran long. Take that away, and I bet you're back at .7-.9 range. Not that anyone should be celebrating a 1.5 anyway.

I think Grand Am are about as fast a car as you can race on Barber without it turning into no-pass parade.

Racing Truth
07-22-08, 08:00 PM
^Agreed on Barber. Nice course, but not for open-wheelers.

Forsythe in '09: :laugh::rofl: Seriously, is that man just friggin' nuts?

Subway as title sponsor would be a good thing. Better than Pep Boys.:tony:

Ziggy
07-22-08, 08:05 PM
The truth of the matter is the FedEx deal kept getting smaller and smaller as FedEx waited for the war to end. In the end, the money just ebbed away and they went to NASCAR, which was very much in a growth spurt of their own.

ehud? Your joking?

Why would we need something verified from that pontificating brownout? Please leave OffCamber alone.... while all the cheerleading was going on over there, this place has been chugging along with decent conversation and none of the hollier than thou mindset.

Is your "go to guy" papterard?:laugh: how's the working out?:tony::tony::tony:

oddlycalm
07-22-08, 08:21 PM
WTF? Are you mad? Do you have any idea how big Subway is
I dunno, the last Subway I wuz in was kinda small and only had seating for 12 people...:tony:

oc

dando
07-22-08, 08:28 PM
Subway as title sponsor would be a good thing. Better than Pep Boys.:tony:

And waaaaay better than Northern Lights. :tony: :tony: :laugh:

-Kevin

G.
07-23-08, 10:08 AM
If we're lucky, maybe they'll activate the sponsorship by racing inside various subway tunnels from now on.

On the ceiling! It'll be grate!

Rus'L
07-23-08, 02:40 PM
ehud? Your joking?

Why would we need something verified from that pontificating brownout? Please leave OffCamber alone.... while all the cheerleading was going on over there, this place has been chugging along with decent conversation and none of the hollier than thou mindset.

Is your "go to guy" papterard?:laugh: how's the working out?:tony::tony::tony:

Okay, okay. I ask for forgiveness. :o

The only reason I brought up Ehud was because I know he collected and read all the official documentation for the original bankruptcy. In that regard, he could provide a nonbias answer, even if that sounds like an oxymoron concerning him. :eek:

And trust me, paper is last on my list of go to people. :saywhat: I went head to head with him a number of times for some of the crap he posted...

Ankf00
07-23-08, 03:07 PM
the douchebags going to Barber is a good thing, even if they are douchebags.