PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Miller nails it yet again.

Hot Rod Otis
05-21-03, 02:08 PM
Great article. This'll get 'em foaming at the mouth @ Beechlerforum.:laugh: :laugh:

http://www.nuvo.net/news/archive/003724.html

"Bump day became an insult to any driver who hung his ass out to make the show or died trying."

Not according to Webbie, Defender and the other ********'s. No bumping on bump day is now officially a "good thing". According to other ********'s, bump day was merely a day for wankers and Dick Simon rent-a-rides.:shakehead

DaveL
05-21-03, 02:16 PM
Good job Robin.

The Lemmings will go into seizures over this one.

The truth hurts.

Napoleon
05-21-03, 02:17 PM
To freaking funny.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

" . . .he didn’t give a fiddler’s f**k about American drivers . . . "

Hink
05-21-03, 02:19 PM
Excellent - Thanks for the link HRO.

cart7
05-21-03, 02:22 PM
Mnky just posted it. Now the site has gone down AGAIN for cleansing. :laugh:

Back up. Hooter just called us "losers on that other site". :rofl:

sundaydriver
05-21-03, 02:30 PM
HRO, thanks for the heads up. Hope you don't mind me posting the link at another site.

The truth needs to be heard. Thanks.

Turn7
05-21-03, 02:37 PM
Nuvo.net? What is that? Strange place for a Robin Miller article.

Anyway, Miller laid it out like he sees it. Very entertaining and sure to wad up a few.

The funny part is about Beechler not being allowed to have a Silver Badge. THAT is funny.

rabbit
05-21-03, 02:39 PM
:thumbup:
Spot on as usual, Robin!

RaceGrrl
05-21-03, 02:41 PM
Lest we get too haughty about CART, Robin made a good point here:

"The only thing lamer than the IMS marketing department is CART’s, but in the name of Bill Vukovich this is the greatest racetrack in the world. PROMOTE THE ***DAMN DRIVERS!!!"

Don Quixote
05-21-03, 02:45 PM
Wow, brer. miller is on a roll! Even the most staunch Tony lovers have to see the truth in this.

KLang
05-21-03, 02:48 PM
Even the most staunch Tony lovers have to see the truth in this

Go visit the lemmingplanet, you'll be disappointed.

Hink
05-21-03, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Lest we get too haughty about CART, Robin made a good point here:

"The only thing lamer than the IMS marketing department is CART’s, but in the name of Bill Vukovich this is the greatest racetrack in the world. PROMOTE THE ***DAMN DRIVERS!!!"

CART's marketing department has always been a total void. They tried once in 1996, but that's about it.

RaceGrrl
05-21-03, 03:17 PM
Hink, we know that... why doesn't CART seem to care about it? It's something that has always bothered me and does more so now than ever. :(

Napoleon
05-21-03, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Hink, we know that... why doesn't CART seem to care about it?

What would you suggest they do differant?

It seems to me I have seen more ads on TV for CART promoting events then ever before, the fan forums, which I assume get local press and other stuff like this.

CART isn't Microsoft or GE and you can hardly expect them to be regularly advertising during prime time on network TV.

cart7
05-21-03, 03:30 PM
Uh oh, the lemmings are gathering the torches. :shakehead
Robins in trouble now. Looks like another TF E-Mail lynch mob. :gomer:

Turn7
05-21-03, 03:48 PM
Yeah...it worked so well last time they got on a tyraid to email ABC. :rolleyes: Maybe they can pass the hat and come up with enough postage to actually mail a letter in if they can find somebody with good enough penmenship.

As far as CART's marketing, I hope they are positioned to market the series to prospective sponsors more than to fans. The winners circle fan club is a poor excuse of proper marketing aimed at the fans. They are often way late on information and the promotional items promised have taken forever and a day to arrive the last two years.

They have adds in Racer but need ads in The Sporting News or Sports Illistrated. Advertising to the dedicated fans is a waste of money. They need to be targeting the people who have no idea what they are and that they even exist.

RaceGrrl
05-21-03, 04:05 PM
Thanks, T7, you answered Nap's question for me. :)

Don Quixote
05-21-03, 04:09 PM
I'm sure that 10 or 15 angry emails to ABC will swing things in their direction. Just look at the quality coverage the series receives out of pure respect to the massive throng of IRL fans.

As for marketing, it seems that there needs to be a saturation of advertising in various forms to build up name recognition over an extended period of time. Even something as cheap and silly as handing out free bumper stickers of the series logos at every CART event so that you will see these things every day on the streets. But what do I know?

turn1
05-21-03, 04:16 PM
:rofl:

sundaydriver
05-21-03, 04:17 PM
I've been wanting a sticker for a long time. It can't cost that much and the exposure over time would be huge.

Plus if you saw one on another car, you would know it's a die hard CCWS fan. That way when he cuts you off, you can just wave instead of flippin him the bird. ;)

KobySon
05-21-03, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
What would you suggest they do differant?

It seems to me I have seen more ads on TV for CART promoting events then ever before, the fan forums, which I assume get local press and other stuff like this.

CART isn't Microsoft or GE and you can hardly expect them to be regularly advertising during prime time on network TV.

Nappy - I saw a ChampCar spot on Fox News the other night...

They finally committed to a name change which before they couldn't do because of the indyitis. Problem is, now that they could use the money to promote the product and new name, funds are instead needed for team survival.

Classic Apex
05-21-03, 04:32 PM
Priceless.

Absolutely priceless.

:rofl:

RichK
05-21-03, 05:19 PM
Effing great commentary.

Robin's best work since taking Brazilian and French nancyboy road racers to the Mug-n-Bun on RPM2Nite!

j_d
05-21-03, 05:46 PM
Great -- someone should've posted a "Don't read this while drinking a Dr. Pepper at work" warning, now I need a new tie.

Good job Robin -- you nailed it (including your commentary on CART's marketing department).

pchall
05-21-03, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Nuvo.net? What is that? Strange place for a Robin Miller article.

Nuvo is the indie paper in Marion County: the soul [sic] voice of reason in a very weird place.

rabbit
05-21-03, 09:12 PM
I posted this on TF...

Spot on as usual, Robin!

The IRL ostriches with their heads buried in the sand kill me. Wake up folks and smell the rotted milk! Robin Miller didn't destroy Indy. Robin Miller didn't mutilate the great traditions and spirit of open competition that defined Indy. Indy 500 fans need more people calling a spade a spade instead of blindly licking Tony George's boots. Now my posting privileges have been revoked.

:laugh:

nrc
05-21-03, 09:27 PM
Robin Miller should get a Lemming Community Service award. If he didn't keep them busy hating him they might look around and see that their series is dominated by owners and drivers that they spent 7 years hating just as intensely.

cart7
05-21-03, 10:00 PM
Way to Go Travis!! :D
They've locked half the threads over there now. :rofl:

Hink
05-21-03, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Uh oh, the lemmings are gathering the torches. :shakehead
Robins in trouble now. Looks like another TF E-Mail lynch mob. :gomer:

Looks like the thread "broke" after 102 strings.

It's not how you say it. It's what you say.

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul." - Mark Twain http://www.trackforum.com

But without that loyalty lots of threads at Whacky Forum start "breaking" ...

cart7
05-21-03, 10:14 PM
originally posted by Hink

I can't believe I didn't get banned over there today. It's a shame all that anger directed at something called CART, can't be channelled to honest reason on OW's problems. H*ll, it's right in front of their faces now ..

Geez, what am I thinking. :rolleyes:

Hink
05-21-03, 10:19 PM
Yeah - I don't post there and never will. Lurking is funny though.

These people could care less about what the Indy 500 is, or how much they hate it, they're buying it all and selling the farm to get it.

Also funny that some didn't follow raceing pre-split despite their age allowing them to do so.

Racewriter
05-21-03, 10:40 PM
In one of the RM threads, someone claimed that no one ever produced a quote from Tony saying that short-trackers were part of the vision. I posted one. The thread was locked one post later.

pchall
05-21-03, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
In one of the RM threads, someone claimed that no one ever produced a quote from Tony saying that short-trackers were part of the vision. I posted one. The thread was locked one post later.

It must be tough times at the Ministry of Truth. I almost feel bad for Turn13. Almost. Well, maybe just a little bit. A very little bit. Maybe not at all. Matter of fact, I'm LMAO.

Cam
05-21-03, 11:17 PM

Will they never learn? They have NO clue!:shakehead

DaveL
05-21-03, 11:37 PM

And this surprises us...why? :)

Lemmings don't like to be reminded of what Idiotgrandson used on them to sell the IRL. It wasn't that long ago that all of the guys walking pit lane (if they let them in) this year were very drivers the "IRL was made for" because they couldn't get a fair shot with CART around.

I for one love the posts singing hosannas to engine leasing, Japanese road racers, and those wonderfull Brazilians that are such great relatable guys.

Napoleon
05-22-03, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Hink
Looks like the thread "broke" after 102 strings.

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul." - Mark Twain http://www.trackforum.com

But without that loyalty lots of threads at Whacky Forum start "breaking" ...

Bingo. I love the Twain quote, since they operate the site in total disregard for the concept behind it.

RaceChic
05-22-03, 08:28 AM
Way to Go Travis!! :D
They've locked half the threads over there now. :rofl:

No kidding. In chat last night I was looking. EVERYTHING seems to be locked. What a friggin' joke. If you don't like the truth then lock the thread and then nobody will be able to say anything more and you won't have to take your head out of the sand and notice that the milk is in fact rotten. The best one is the thread called "What is a tenderloin?" I just about fell of my chair. :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

And the whole board is closed right now as I post this..... :p

cart7
05-22-03, 08:47 AM
originally posted by racewriter
Yep, BTW I brought up that thread from a few month's ago where you posted those quotes from TG, Mehl, Agajanian directly stating the need to return to American grassroots oval racing, the spridget guys, etc. ...

The thread didn't last long after that. :rolleyes:

RaceGrrl
05-22-03, 09:11 AM
I was reading some of the locked down TF threads last night, but had to stop after a couple because it made me feel icky. It's not worth it to go there even for the laugh.

Napoleon
05-22-03, 09:57 AM
Check out the comments that have been posted to the article. BiF# even replied to Robin.

chop456
05-22-03, 10:11 AM
Yep, BTW I brought up that thread from a few month's ago where you posted those quotes from TG, Mehl, Agajanian directly stating the need to return to American grassroots oval racing, the spridget guys, etc. ...

You mean this one?

"Now Indianapolis always had a tradition of welcoming foreign drivers, so I'm certainly not being xenophobic. The great foreign champions really added to the show. That will always happen. We will always encourage it. But NOT to the exclusion of American drivers.

"Last year there were more foreign drivers than Americans. There were six rookies in the race last year, and all of them were foreign. The speedway saw that trend; I think Tony tried to get CART to understand what the Speedway's concern is about the makeup of the product they were bringing to the 500. And I knew from day one - as an outside observer during this time that they were never going to find any middle ground.

[paragraphs deleted]

"Take Billy Boat, for example. I've watched Billy all of his career. He's 31 now. I think He will turn out to be one of the finest talents that Indy Car racing has ever seen/ John Menard, who put Tony Stewart in his car at Orlando, asked me where I'd found him, and I was reported to have said "I have 10 more, 20 more just like him" and I do. But it's not me, it's America's short tracks. Our driver A-list includes not only the USAC sprint and midget drivers, but also those from WOO where there are a number of splendid drivers."

- Cary Agajanian, USAC VP in charge of the IRL. August 1996 Racer Magazine.

:laugh:

cart7
05-22-03, 10:45 AM
That's one of them chop! :laugh:

pchall
05-22-03, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Bingo. I love the Twain quote, since they operate the site in total disregard for the concept behind it.

Good point. I waved that in front of Turn13 when I told them to ban me or stop deleting my posts.

G.
05-22-03, 03:17 PM
Wickerbill's comments to the NUVO column,
There will be a lot of people at the Indy 500 this year. But there will be a lot of people at Graceland, too. The King is dead. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: