PDA

View Full Version : What if you gave a party, but no-one showed up?

emjaya
07-16-08, 10:01 AM
Some Surfers Paradise news from Motorsport eNews (http://enews.mnews.com.au/) (page 6-7).

The car count may be down because it's a non-point race. :irked:

the promoter is only offering to provide the standard assistance
with travel expenses such as equipment freight, hotel rooms, and airline tickets to supply 18 of the 26 regular IndyCar teams. And, there are indications owners of the top teams, Penske, Ganassi and Andretti Green, aren’t interested in making the jaunt when the last points paying race for the championship is at Chicagoland in mid-September.

They have a Naming Rights sponsor, sort of, maybe, if they can get the IRL to actually confirm that they are coming. :saywhat:

“We hope to make an announcement very soon about Australia,” Terry Angstadt, the IRL’s President, Commercial Division, told Motorsport eNews.
“We don’t announce a race until the sanctioning agreement is officially signed.
We have discussed all the key business issues. There is nothing to keep us from doing that and we don’t anticipate any issues. I’m very optimistic.”

2009 is on. However, if they want to back to back with Japan, then it depends on Montegi moving to the weekend of 15-18 because the V8's have told them that's the way it's going to be. :saywhat: :\

“In Australia, the motorsport calendar is determined by Formula 1 and then V8 Supercars Australia,” said V8SA Chairman Tony Cochrane. “It is a V8 Supercars decision on their calendar. As it stands, we already have an agreement for 2009, which is October 22-25.”

G.
07-16-08, 11:17 AM
I highly doubt that Indycars will be in Oz. This race will be cancelled.

Hell, they're copying everything else that ChampCar did...

Whoah. Great Minds, and all that rot. (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=236941&postcount=72)

Sean Malone
07-16-08, 11:49 AM
V8's haven't always dictated. They are just taking advantage of situation and digging their heels in. They've wanted that spotlight all to themselves for years now.
What American IndyCar fan cares about a race in Australian or Japan or anywhere else outside of the boarders? (careful, that's a loaded question)

It's the same old argument about CART and Champ Car. IndyCar is on it's deathbed, forget about OZ and concentrate on getting your **** together in the US.

opinionated ow
07-16-08, 12:06 PM
V8's haven't always dictated. They are just taking advantage of situation and digging their heels in. They've wanted that spotlight all to themselves for years now.
What American IndyCar fan cares about a race in Australian or Japan or anywhere else outside of the boarders? (careful, that's a loaded question)

It's the same old argument about CART and Champ Car. IndyCar is on it's deathbed, forget about OZ and concentrate on getting your **** together in the US.

About as many Australian's who give a bugger about a race in the middle of an alcohol fuelled orgy with a taxi race thrown in (and mostly ignored) for good measure.

And FWIW, ****-head's comments are off base. Formula One's date is set, as is the date of the Bathurst 1000. All of the others change regularly. He doesn't dictate Australian motorsport as much as he thinks he does...

Kiwifan
07-16-08, 02:34 PM
About as many Australian's who give a bugger about a race in the middle of an alcohol fuelled orgy with a taxi race thrown in (and mostly ignored) for good measure.

Let it go son. I've been to 7 Champ Car Races on the Coast and have always felt safe there with my family. I would think that, like Hamilton the arrest rate would have been down on a normal weekend. I have no facts to back that up other than TV reports and me being out and about till the midnight hours. ;)

I'm not saying people weren't drunk or that people weren't arrested but at the South end of the track we saw very little evidence of the debauchery that you describe. Even up town at night the mood was always good humored.

I have photos to prove you wrong that most were there for the cabs. Granted some left when the Champ Cars raced but most stayed for the races.

If the IRLers don't come down this year it will make me feel a bit better. :) I'm heading over to see family and friends as well as the rest of the racing. Maybe they will chuck in some Formula Fords or other open wheelers. That would be cool.

Respectfully, Rusty.

NismoZ
07-16-08, 05:46 PM
Paddock rumors from quite awhile ago addressed this ICS "problem." It's all about money of course and if League sanctions aren't harsh enough then car count WILL be down. How 'bout since no points are being awarded just deduct points AND cash for not going. Three and 4 car teams only have to take 2 but pay for the 1 car outfits? Heck if the season is actually over then I wouldn't want to go either. Pretty understandable. Isn't there a long term agreement though that will take this into the turbo-4 era? (my guess is Will Power wins!:rofl:)

TravelGal
07-16-08, 07:50 PM
Read this at least a month ago. What I saw said that prize money will be curtailed for teams that don't go to Surfer's. Since the one thing the IRL apparently does have is prize $$$, they were smart to hit 'em in the pocketbook where it could conceivably have an impact.

nissan gtp
07-16-08, 09:01 PM
Australian Super-Prix :laugh:

STD
07-16-08, 09:10 PM
^ That does have a symmetry about it. :)