PDA

View Full Version : Doubts About Surfer's

Corner5
07-14-08, 07:37 PM
Not Good-

Indy stalls on grid with no sponsor
Peter Gleeson

July 15th, 2008

LESS than 100 days before Gold Coast Indy, organisers are yet to secure a major sponsor and there are doubts about the contract with the Indy Racing League for this year's non-championship race.

The Bulletin has been told that no formal agreement has been reached between Indy bosses and the IRL over the timing of the Surfers Paradise race.

It is understood the problem lies with the timing of the Japanese Indy race which is vital to the Coast event because it has the capacity to halve transportation costs for some competitors coming here.

The IRL's website, Indycar. com does not mention the Surfers Paradise race in its schedule of championship events, which finishes in early September.

The IRL plan was to run an international non-championship series among four countries at season's end, including Japan.

The V8s -- which share equal billing with the Champ Cars -- have been locked in for the Gold Coast event from October 22-26.

Indy chairman Terry Mackenroth said yesterday while nothing referred to Surfers Paradise on the IRL website or in ESPN's cable TV race coverage schedule, people had to understand that the Gold Coast event was not part of this year's championship.

"I'm expecting to make an announcement on a major sponsor soon," he said. "We're part of all the IRL forward dates and we're booking the planes and transport this week. It's all systems go as far as we are concerned."

The credit crunch has inhibited the Surfers Paradise event's chances of securing a $2 million a year sponsorship, after Lexmark pulled out this year.

The Queensland Government pumps $11 million a year into the event, which covers transport costs and staging the race.

Sports Minister Judy Spence was in Indianapolis in May to help sign the memorandum of understanding between IRL boss Tony George and Mr Mackenroth.

But with no major sponsorship and doubts over the international cup format, some people within the business and motorsport industry are getting nervous.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/07/15/13673_gold-coast-news.html

There is no contract, another mess.:shakehead

Insomniac
07-14-08, 10:29 PM
Anyone else hear about this international "tour" the IRL planned?

Methanolandbrats
07-14-08, 11:33 PM
WGAF, why would the Aussies want that junk farting on their streets?

opinionated ow
07-14-08, 11:33 PM
The bogans that attend won't give a rats arse whether the Indycars are there or not. To them its just Veeee AAAAiiiiitttts mate or a massive drunken orgy.

mapguy
07-14-08, 11:34 PM
massive drunken orgy.

Booking tickets now....

Methanolandbrats
07-14-08, 11:47 PM
The bogans that attend won't give a rats arse whether the Indycars are there or not. To them its just Veeee AAAAiiiiitttts mate or a massive drunken orgy. I'm shocked there is that much drinking :gomer:

STD
07-15-08, 02:10 AM
Not good?

opinionated ow
07-15-08, 02:51 AM
Not good?

Imagine being the lone Formula One fan at a NASCAR/F1 Double Header.

Andrew Longman
07-15-08, 10:22 AM
Anyone else hear about this international "tour" the IRL planned?

No. And going back to Japan as part of a four race Asian tour? Ansan? China? Maybe KK sold TG more that we thought.

cameraman
07-15-08, 12:57 PM
or a massive drunken orgy.

Race? What race?

dando
07-15-08, 01:15 PM
No. And going back to Japan as part of a four race Asian tour? Ansan? China? Maybe KK sold TG more that we thought.

Hawaiin Super Prix. You heard it here first. :gomer: The more things change, the more they stay the same. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
07-15-08, 01:16 PM
a massive drunken orgy.

Beats the hell outta sand volleyball. Sign me up! :D

-Kevin

Elmo T
07-15-08, 01:51 PM

Hawaii too? TG bought into Vaporware Racing? ;)

<blog> I hit wiki to verify my memory of vaporware. As defined - Vaporware is a software or hardware product which is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge, either with or without a protracted development cycle. The term implies unwarranted optimism, or sometimes even deception; that is, it may imply that the announcer knows that product development is in too early a stage to support responsible statements about its completion date, feature set, or even feasibility.

I think the use is appropriate. ;)

Insomniac
07-15-08, 02:05 PM

I guess the IP included the art of scheduling races but not holding them. :)

STD
07-15-08, 02:18 PM
Imagine being the lone Formula One fan at a NASCAR/F1 Double Header.

Imagine being a F1 fan in the very midst of NASCAR daddy land. :laugh:

Sometimes one must make great sacrifices in the hope of a better future.