PDA

View Full Version : Lime Wreck

cameraman
07-12-08, 12:08 AM
That was a tough couple of practice sessions. It seems the newly added chicanes require single file driving and there is very little room for LMP1/2s to get around the GT2s. They split the qualifying sessions so we didn't see the traffic problems then but I have a feeling that a whole lot fewer cars are going to finish than start tomorrow...

Since the race is today but the SpeedTV broadcast isn't until tomorrow:flame: don't post who wrecked:rolleyes: until after the broadcast

RusH
07-12-08, 01:42 AM
a race in Norwalk?

needs more.. :trish::D

anywhooo, the meat of the season begins:thumbup:;

hi trish!..:wave:

FCYTravis
07-12-08, 04:46 AM
That's what they get for messing with a classic, historic circuit :thumdown:

pchall
07-12-08, 06:41 AM
It could be worse -- they could have hired Tilke.

That's what they get for messing with a classic, historic circuit :thumdown:

Rus'L
07-12-08, 08:58 AM
That was a tough couple of practice sessions. It seems the newly added chicanes require single file driving and there is very little room for LMP1/2s to get around the GT2s. They split the qualifying sessions so we didn't see the traffic problems then but I have a feeling that a whole lot fewer cars are going to finish than start tomorrow...

The PA announcer for Lime Rock told me he got a few laps as a passenger last week on press day. He mentioned that exact situation -- it's a one line, one car turn only, figuring there is going to be a lot of carnage.

Wasn't the chicane just before the uphill essentially single file? But, there may have been a little bit more "forgiving" room than the current chicanes.

This will probably add to the rumors that the ALMS will not return to Lime Rock next year.

Badger
07-12-08, 12:03 PM

What's wrong with modern tracks which are actually wide enough to allow passing?

Indy
07-12-08, 12:12 PM
They ruined Lime Rock?

Jeebus, this sport is dead.

Methanolandbrats
07-12-08, 12:37 PM
They ruined Lime Rock?

Jeebus, this sport is dead.
Ya, chicanes on a 1.53 mile track? WTF for? It ain't exactly Monza.:thumdown:

FCYTravis
07-12-08, 03:33 PM
They basically did already, if you've seen the new layout. Two moronic, useless chicanes on a 1.5 mile track. :shakehead

It's as if they saw the San Jose abortion and decided, "Man, we need to make our track like that!"

NismoZ
07-12-08, 07:44 PM
The San Aire of the ALMS!

FCYTravis
07-12-08, 07:57 PM
Great race right to the end :thumbup:

Too bad a whole bunch of cars got torn up real bad.

chop456
07-13-08, 09:35 AM
Great race right to the end :thumbup:

Too bad a whole bunch of cars got torn up real bad.

The Aston is probably done for the year :(

You see the heading that says no spoilers, please? :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
07-13-08, 11:14 AM
Well, I don't have to waste my time watching that :gomer:

Andrew Longman
07-13-08, 01:17 PM
The boys and I went to Lime Rock for the first time this year. I can't compare to other years, but I'd say the new chicanes and the repaving was a great success. Good races in all classes and series.

The braking and car control leading into the chicane at the end of the no name straight really showed the difference between the good and not so good, and even if it was single file in the chicane the driver who carried more speed through it could complete the pass in the up hill.

I think the same can be said for the second chicane and setting up a pass down the front stretch and into T1

Anyway. We had a most excellent time. Made some new crazy Canadian friends in the campground. The place reminded me of a miniature Road America but even prettier.

We'll be back.

As for ALMS, I think it was the growing success of that series that convinced them to reinvest in the curcuit. A lot of coin went into the upgrades. And most of the destruction I saw came as a result of not handling the esses correctly. Maybe there was less grip on the new surface. I dunno.

FCYTravis
07-13-08, 03:44 PM
You see the heading that says no spoilers, please? :gomer:

Woops. No. I am a moran. :shakehead :\ :tony:

Methanolandbrats
07-13-08, 04:31 PM
I taped the tape delayed race and I'm now watching it on tape delay. Marco whines like his dad and wears sunglasses like his mom, what a little tool. :yuck:

grungex
07-13-08, 08:28 PM
And he wrecked himself and Ryan Briscoe on lap one of the .1RL race afterwards...

extramundane
07-13-08, 08:53 PM
I have to say that watching David Brabham blow past Bernhard, then Bernhard pitch it into the dirt was particularly satisfying. I love the fact that Highcroft continues to put a hurt on the other favored Honda sons. :rofl:

The new bits of the track didn't seem nearly as bad as they were hyped to be, but that optional uphill really brought out the stupid in some of the drivers.

cameraman
07-14-08, 01:53 AM
I can't believe that AGR would through away their qualifying run by being so stupid as to not practice Marco. The way he drove he sure could have used it too. Also the pre-race interview with the smarmy little **** just really drove home what a tool he is.

Heck of a race, it is a very good thing that they left the old corners at the new chicanes because they sure got a lot of use. That prevented a whole mess of wrecks. The amount dirt on that track was amazing.

extramundane
07-14-08, 10:01 AM
I can't believe that AGR would through away their qualifying run by being so stupid as to not practice Marco. The way he drove he sure could have used it too. Also the pre-race interview with the smarmy little **** just really drove home what a tool he is.

I honestly think Mikehole believes Marco is superman and can simply jump in an unfamiliar car and go with no practice. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up driving off both Montagny and Kanaan with the way he fawns over his kid so much.

Not that I'm too broken up over it. Duncan Dayton's a class guy with a top-shelf operation, and I'm loving the fact that he's thumping the other Acuras. There's lots of rumors about De Ferran running the Acura P1 program, but I think they're making a mistake if they don't let Highcroft at it too.

Rus'L
07-14-08, 12:39 PM
I have to say that watching David Brabham blow past Bernhard, then Bernhard pitch it into the dirt was particularly satisfying. I love the fact that Highcroft continues to put a hurt on the other favored Honda sons. :rofl:

I jumped up and cheered and shouted, "Stick that in your ear, Penske!"

The Bernhard spin is a classic Lime Rock mistake -- go too deep down the inside and have to turn while braking, but the radius of Big Bend won't allow that on the inside, so off you go.

I get the feeling that Highcroft will soon become a Honda favorite really soon.

As for all the dust and dirt on the track, a lot of that had to do with the track construction being completed just before the race. Lime Rock can get dusty, but never that bad. They didn't have any time to let some grass grow.

cameraman
07-14-08, 01:22 PM
Well they had all manner of cars doing bulldozer imitations which didn't help things any.

Rus'L
07-15-08, 08:17 AM
Well they had all manner of cars doing bulldozer imitations which didn't help things any.

And those were some imitations, too! Especially the Ferraris. Never knew a Ferrari could make such a good bulldozer... :rofl:

Trevor Longman
07-15-08, 01:04 PM
I was there and I thought it was a great race. The pass at the end was great although my brother didn't think so as he had bought a die-cast of the penske Porsche earlier in the weekend and was really rooting for it.

As for the chicanes, while I do think they took a lot of the ballsier turns out, it also created a lot of good passing opportunities and made negotiating the traffic interesting. For instance, Bernard had a 15 second lead with less than 10 laps the go, but he got held up in traffic in those 2 chicanes and his lead evaporated.

Marco did practice in the morning warm-up and looked fast then so I'm not sure why he was so slow in the race. Either way, it was another good ALMS race with a few twists and some great racing so I was extremely pleased with the experience I had at the race.

cameraman
07-15-08, 01:29 PM
The pass at the end was great although my brother didn't think so as he had bought a die-cast of the penske Porsche earlier in the weekend and was really rooting for it.

Tell him to be careful with that die-cast, if he got the one that is about 4" long it is nice looking but extremely fragile.

Trevor Longman
07-15-08, 01:41 PM
Yea thats the one. My dad has told him to be really careful already but it seems like its only a matter of time before something breaks. :rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
07-15-08, 03:22 PM
Actually his dad told him he's sharing it with him 50/50 and he better take care of both halves. :)

We already had an "incident" with a mirror, since repaired.

But the little guy proudly got the case autographed by the drivers and has been carefully eying it inside the case ever since.

Easy
07-16-08, 11:44 AM
The original chicane at Lime Rock was to keep the P1s (and GTPs, etc..) from taking flight off the top of the hill. Without the chicane even a 170hp FF Zetec with a decent front wing is catching some air. Almost a foot if you're shock settings aren't stellar.

I don't know about the new one though. Tough to justify on a sub 2 mile road course.