PDA

View Full Version : The lack of CNG filling stations

cameraman
07-10-08, 06:30 PM
I just can't understand why someone can't figure this out. You would think that there is some serious coin to be made but no one is stepping up to the plate. CNG runs about $0.86 a gallon equivalent around here, you'd think everybody would be switching. Thing is you can count the number of filling stations in town on one hand with fingers to spare.

Why? Compressors or the lack thereof.

They aren't joking about the C in CNG and the filling stations have to have very large and it seems, extremely loud compressors to get the gas up to pressure to fully fill a car. Nobody will build more filling stations because they can't get the large loud compressors past the zoning commissions.

So here we are with an local, available, clean, inexpensive energy source because no one in this nation of "engineers" can figure out how to build a quiet compressor? Or at least figure out a way to muffle a loud one?:saywhat:

People keep blathering on about hydrogen when we can't even figure out how to distribute natural gas.:flame:

Methanolandbrats
07-10-08, 06:48 PM
We'll see a lot of diesel fuel made out of natural gas, coal and bio sources before there will be CNG on a wide scale. The diesel technology on the supply and usage side is ready to go. I'd love a Mini D. Fhonda CRV with their sweet diesel mill would be nice too.

Ankf00
07-10-08, 06:49 PM
we need the NG for non-coal power plants, keep your dirty grubby hands off it :gomer:

cameraman
07-10-08, 07:07 PM
We'll see a lot of diesel fuel made out of natural gas, coal and bio sources before there will be CNG on a wide scale. The diesel technology on the supply and usage side is ready to go. I'd love a Mini D. Fhonda CRV with their sweet diesel mill would be nice too.

In case you haven't noticed diesel costs more than gasoline, a lot more.

Methanolandbrats
07-10-08, 07:30 PM
In case you haven't noticed diesel costs more than gasoline, a lot more. Uh ya, I've noticed since I've been driving a diesel since 1996 :D I've also got a gasser. Diesel gets 39 mpg in town, gasser gets 22 mpg. Diesel would have to be twice as expensive as gas to break even on a per mile basis. Technology to produce, distribute and burn diesel (both dino and synthetic) is well developed and is one of the immediate solutions. Lean burn gasoline engines, hybrids and big diesels for people who tow will also be part of the solution. We're moving away from a one powertrain solution. When Subaru sells an Impreza with a manual trans and their uber-cool boxer diesel I will be all over it.

Ankf00
07-10-08, 07:32 PM
I'm assuming this thread was born of b/c of T. Boone's new dog & pony show?

cameraman
07-10-08, 07:38 PM
No, it is born of the fact that there are only 3 CNG filling stations in Salt lake City and nobody has any plans to build any more even though they are making money hand over fist selling CNG:flame:

nrc
07-10-08, 07:48 PM
we need the NG for non-coal power plants, keep your dirty grubby hands off it :gomer:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6e/Snpp.gif/200px-Snpp.gif

Ankf00
07-10-08, 08:08 PM
Only problem being Montgomery Burns is banned from operating within the United States of America. :\

Gnam
07-10-08, 08:19 PM
sweet Lady propane and propane accessories...

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7233/stricklandpropanehr0.jpg

JLMannin
07-11-08, 11:12 AM
I heard on a local radio show that if you get natural gas at your house, you can get a system from your local gas utility that will refuel your pressurized tank overnight. Not practical for long trips away from home for obvious reasons, but ideal for a commuter car.

Methanolandbrats
07-11-08, 11:20 AM
I heard on a local radio show that if you get natural gas at your house, you can get a system from your local gas utility that will refuel your pressurized tank overnight. Not practical for long trips away from home for obvious reasons, but ideal for a commuter car. Ya, and if you **** up they'll be clearing what's left of your house with a backhoe.:D

cameraman
07-11-08, 12:32 PM
I heard on a local radio show that if you get natural gas at your house, you can get a system from your local gas utility that will refuel your pressurized tank overnight. Not practical for long trips away from home for obvious reasons, but ideal for a commuter car.

They work fine but they cost the better part of $4000 installed and they are rather noisy. Which brings us back to the original topic of why the hell can't someone figure out a quiet compressor...