PDA

View Full Version : Going to ALMS at Lime Rock

BZSetshot
07-10-08, 08:27 AM
Guys, we have decided to head up to Lime Rock this Sat for ALMS. We are going with another couple that has a 4yr old kid. Both Dad and Son have a newfound "car-fever" so I'm hoping to use this opportunity to "hook" them into racing. :D

I've never been there, so, any tips of viewing areas as well as things to see or do?:confused:

Thanks!

Rus'L
07-10-08, 12:07 PM
Guys, we have decided to head up to Lime Rock this Sat for ALMS. We are going with another couple that has a 4yr old kid. Both Dad and Son have a newfound "car-fever" so I'm hoping to use this opportunity to "hook" them into racing. :D

I've never been there, so, any tips of viewing areas as well as things to see or do?:confused:

Thanks!

Lime Rock is one of the best tracks from a spectator standpoint. From certain areas, you can see over half the track.

Three quick comments for spectating:

1) A lot of people will be on the hill overlooking the esses. Get there early if you want a spot. It will afford you the most viewable areas of the track as you can see the front straight (downhill also depending on your angle), Big Bend, the esses, and going into No-Name straight. Plus side: lots of track is viewable. Downside: you are a bit away from the action, so you can't totally appreciate the speed and action.

2) Inside Big Bend down low against the fence. You are really, really close to the action and if you do this from the entry area (by the pedastrian bridge), you can see, hear, and feel the cars braking hard, tires squeeling on turn-in, the power being applied, then the lifting halfway through the turn to scrub some speed off before they finish the second part of the turn. Plus side: You can't get much closer to racing action with this kind of speed at most tracks. Downside: you only get to see this small portion of the track.

3) Outside the track at the end of the front straight. You can get there by walking across the pedastrian bridge at the end of the straight from the location mentioned in #2 above, and then up the hill as high as you prefer. This is my favorite spot, though many people don't go here. You can see the cars coming down the hill, the front straight, part of the pits, Big Bend, and the esses. I can't remember if you can see the scoreboard from here due to the angle. I like this spot because you can appreciate the speed on the straight while watching the cars setup and outbrake others going into Big Bend. Plus side: you get to see a lot of passing. Downside: It's a bit of a walk depending on where you parked.

Of course, this is a road course, so you may just want to walk to many different areas and watch the cars and drivers work different corners. They have made changes, so you will be seeing new spots that most (like myself) have never seen yet. It's a small, contained track, so walking around will be easier and more attainable in a day than most other tracks.

Enjoy! Besides the racing, it's one of the most picturesque tracks in the country nestled in the Berkshires.

BZSetshot
07-10-08, 12:20 PM
Thanks Rus'L!

I figure with a 4 yr old, we'll have to either be kinda "on the move" as his interest comes and goes, or stay put if he decides to take a nap.

I just checked on Google Earth and see what you mean in point #3. That might be where we end up since it seems to afford quite a general view.

This helps quite a bit. :thumbsup:

How accessible is the paddock area? Is it even accessible?

Rus'L
07-10-08, 03:20 PM
How accessible is the paddock area? Is it even accessible?

Depends on whether they are charging extra for the paddock, but if memory serves me, all ALMS events are supposed to have the paddock open at no extra cost. If so, then it is very accessible. Just be careful in that it's a relatively small paddock, so keep your eyes open for cars always moving around (and your 4-year-old's hand at all times).

cameraman
07-10-08, 03:42 PM
I figure with a 4 yr old, we'll have to either be kinda "on the move" as his interest comes and goes, or stay put if he decides to take a nap.

Just took a 3.5 year old to the ALMS race. The paddock is open and you absolutely must hang on to the kid. The biggest problem I see are people from the support race teams (or kids of the support race teams) driving atvs/scooters way too fast. So you have to be constantly watching. That said it was a great experience for the kiddo. The teams are extremely nice to little kids especially if Dad stands back a ways. Hearing protection is a must. Yellow hearing protectors, muff type, worked extremely well as they could be sold as "just like Bob the Builder wears"

BZSetshot
07-10-08, 04:08 PM
It's excellent that the paddock area is open. I have a feeling both Dad and Kid are probably going to find it very interesting to see the teams working on their cars.

Thanks for the tips for the youngster. Not having kids of our own (yet) it's good to get these reminders to be extra careful with little ones. However, the fact that I know exactly who Bob The Builder is and how he looks like, might give you and idea how "kid ready" we are. :D

BTW, I'll gladly buy a beer to anyone I run into. I'll be wearing a Champ Car Assen cap so just give a "BZ!" holler if you can.

Rus'L
07-11-08, 08:49 AM
BTW, I'll gladly buy a beer to anyone I run into. I'll be wearing a Champ Car Assen cap so just give a "BZ!" holler if you can.

Even though I was offered a place to stay 35 minutes from the track, I cannot make it this weekend.

So, I'll take a raincheck on that beer. :cool:

P.S. Make sure you give us a full report on how it went when you get back.