PDA

View Full Version : '09 will not be Coulthard's year

Dirk Diggler
07-10-08, 03:12 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/drivers/7487186.stm

"Winning a championship would have been fantastic but it doesn't mean that I don't sleep well at night or that I don't have a great life. I think I have been very fortunate. Some people are good enough and some just don't have that last little bit - that is something I can deal with quite comfortably."

Ok, the easy joke aside, he's been quite a fixture in F1 and it's going to be a bit weird without him around. He's made some unbelievable mistakes, but he also ran wheel to wheel with the best of them on occassion.

He spent a lot more years with competitive teams than most. You can look at that two ways, I guess. One one hand, he had some great cars and no championships. On the other hand, you don't work for Ron Dennis for that many years if you're not bringing something crucial to the table. It's always been my hunch that DC was pretty skilled at developing a car, and for better or for worse he was one of F1's last team players (no, I wouldn't lump him in with Bendoverchello).

I actually never really faulted him for the "this is my year" stuff. When F1 drivers start showing a lack of confidence, they usually need to start dusting off their resumes.

So here's to what seems to be a decent guy who spent 15 years in F1 who looks like he will be able to walk away in one piece and with his dignity intact.:thumbup:

Dirk Diggler
07-10-08, 03:22 AM
And you can't look at this signature and say that he doesn't have a sense of humor...:laugh:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280238570107&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2F search.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle% 3D280238570107%26fvi%3D1

JohnHKart
07-10-08, 02:52 PM
"He'll never be champion! He made his bed and hung up the towels!"

Lord March circa 99-2000

Sean Malone
07-10-08, 04:05 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/drivers/7487186.stm

"Winning a championship would have been fantastic but it doesn't mean that I don't sleep well at night or that I don't have a great life. I think I have been very fortunate. Some people are good enough and some just don't have that last little bit - that is something I can deal with quite comfortably."

Ok, the easy joke aside, he's been quite a fixture in F1 and it's going to be a bit weird without him around. He's made some unbelievable mistakes, but he also ran wheel to wheel with the best of them on occassion.

He spent a lot more years with competitive teams than most. You can look at that two ways, I guess. One one hand, he had some great cars and no championships. On the other hand, you don't work for Ron Dennis for that many years if you're not bringing something crucial to the table. It's always been my hunch that DC was pretty skilled at developing a car, and for better or for worse he was one of F1's last team players (no, I wouldn't lump him in with Bendoverchello).

I actually never really faulted him for the "this is my year" stuff. When F1 drivers start showing a lack of confidence, they usually need to start dusting off their resumes.

So here's to what seems to be a decent guy who spent 15 years in F1 who looks like he will be able to walk away in one piece and with his dignity intact.:thumbup:

Good post. I agree.

oddlycalm
07-10-08, 04:22 PM
Coulthard certainly had his moments. His wins mostly came against serious competition, even on his own team. Nice to see him on the podium one last time, oh wait, we didn't get to see that thanks to Fox.

oc

cameraman
07-10-08, 04:42 PM
One more damn tape delayed, chopped down race on Fox and then back to Speed

High Sided
07-11-08, 08:54 AM
FicUwtyj0Hg

cameraman
07-17-08, 02:44 PM
Seems that Vettel just got the 2009 Red Bull ride. All official and everything.

Methanolandbrats
07-17-08, 02:55 PM
I wonder if Bourdais had a good financial advisor and saved his money when he was in Champ Car? :gomer:

cameraman
07-17-08, 03:42 PM
Given his recent performances, he had better have.