PDA

View Full Version : NHRA downsizes to 1000 feet

pchall
07-04-08, 08:00 PM
interim safety move (http://www.racinboys.com/home/article_view/article/n_7427)

As the investigation continues into the tragic accident that took the life of driver Scott Kalitta, NHRA announced this week that beginning at the Mopar Mile High Nationals in Denver, Colorado, both the Top Fuel and Funny Car classes will race to 1,000 feet instead of the traditional 1,320 feet or one-quarter mile. This is an interim step that is being taken while NHRA continues to analyze and determine whether changes should be made to build upon the sport's long standing safety record, given the inherent risks and ever-present dangers associated with the sport.

cameraman
07-04-08, 09:49 PM
Had Kalitta even gone a thousand feet when the engine blew?

RusH
07-04-08, 11:19 PM
I`m sorry I did not get a chance to see an NHRA event in Gainesville, FL before this Knee-jerk solution.

Oh well.
More stick and ball stuff to occupy my time in life.

Accipiter
07-05-08, 10:43 AM
I heard that band-aids can cure broken bones too.

pchall
07-05-08, 08:17 PM
Yup, scratch a trip to IRP at the end of August [ORP just doesn't sound right :shakehead]

I`m sorry I did not get a chance to see an NHRA event in Gainesville, FL before this Knee-jerk solution.

gjc2
07-06-08, 06:54 PM
Had Kalitta even gone a thousand feet when the engine blew?

I don't think so.

I would imagine they will have to work out new setups for gear ratios and clutch engagement. It has to be a big burden on the teams. At 1,000 feet will they be into the 3s?