PDA

View Full Version : The Brett Favre thread.....

Pages : [1] 2 3

dando
07-04-08, 12:59 AM
Considering how much attention his possible return is getting on E$PN, the fact that Peter King can't write a column w/o mentioning Him, and John Madden's man love for the Green & Yellow Jeebus...I decree we need a thread solely for the Chosen One.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3471189

:D

-Kevin

emjaya
07-04-08, 09:07 AM
Is this Wicker Bill at his day job? :gomer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3281535

Insomniac
07-04-08, 09:20 AM
I wonder if Aaron Rodgers makes it through his entire rookie contract without playing more than mop up duty (and the Dallas game) if he'll get a big second contract based on potential again.

Tim
07-04-08, 09:50 AM
I seem to be one of the few here who wants him to play again. Rodgers has had 2 major injuries in 3 years and he's only played the equivalent of a full game. With Favre the Packers are a contender. With Rodgers we are one play away from starting a rookie.

Insomniac
07-04-08, 12:36 PM
I seem to be one of the few here who wants him to play again. Rodgers has had 2 major injuries in 3 years and he's only played the equivalent of a full game. With Favre the Packers are a contender. With Rodgers we are one play away from starting a rookie.

With Favre, you're one play away from starting Rodgers. :)

Methanolandbrats
07-04-08, 01:28 PM
He retired. He should shut up and let the Packers get ready for next season.

cheesewhiz
07-07-08, 09:35 AM
He retired. He should shut up and let the Packers get ready for next season.

Yes, thank you!

Easy
07-07-08, 12:04 PM
They should probably take the approach Luca di Montezemolo took with Schuey.

Ankf00
07-07-08, 12:44 PM
I wonder if Aaron Rodgers makes it through his entire rookie contract without playing more than mop up duty (and the Dallas game) if he'll get a big second contract based on potential again.

Aaron Rodgers :rofl:

dando
07-07-08, 12:46 PM
Aaron Rodgers :rofl:

The VY of the NFC. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Boatdesigner
07-07-08, 01:19 PM
Bring him back as second string, to "mentor" Rogers. Then when AR gets hurt in the first game, he can come in off the bench and take over just like when Majik got hurt. :\:shakehead

Ankf00
07-07-08, 01:37 PM
The VY of the NFC. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

I'm sure Troy Smith will be leading someone to the playoffs very soon. :tony:

dando
07-07-08, 01:43 PM
I'm sure Troy Smith will be leading someone to the playoffs very soon. :tony:

T.Smith wasn't a first round pick ala Brady Queen or VY, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
07-07-08, 02:22 PM
yea, midget qb's rarely get taken first

Insomniac
07-07-08, 03:27 PM
Bring him back as second string, to "mentor" Rogers. Then when AR gets hurt in the first game, he can come in off the bench and take over just like when Majik got hurt. :\:shakehead

That would end Favre's consecutive starts streak.

Classic Apex
07-07-08, 08:32 PM
I hope Fav-rah rolls an ATV on his farm and shatters his pelvis...

dando
07-11-08, 09:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

Green and Yeller Jeebus might get a new color scheme. :eek: In other news, E$PN has now changed its name to the BFN. :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-11-08, 11:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

Green and Yeller Jeebus might get a new color scheme. :eek: In other news, E$PN has now changed its name to the BFN. :gomer:

-Kevin

This whole situation makes no sense to me. Is he going to be the first player to not play to win or for money? In GB, he was one OT away from the SB. His salary is $12M. Where will he go that would have a better chance of winning? Is he going to turn a non-playoff team into a SB contender? Who is going to pay him $12M for one year? And finally, he talked about how mentally taxing last year was, he wants to learn a new playbook?

dando
07-11-08, 11:34 PM
This whole situation makes no sense to me. Is he going to be the first player to not play to win or for money? In GB, he was one OT away from the SB. His salary is $12M. Where will he go that would have a better chance of winning? Is he going to turn a non-playoff team into a SB contender? Who is going to pay him $12M for one year? And finally, he talked about how mentally taxing last year was, he wants to learn a new playbook?

Conventional wisdom is that he was pressed into a decision back in March, which He now regrets. What a difficult spot he's placed GB in (if true). Jeebus. Vikes, Ravens, Bears and Bills are likely destinations, supposedly.

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-12-08, 07:57 AM
Conventional wisdom is that he was pressed into a decision back in March, which He now regrets. What a difficult spot he's placed GB in (if true). Jeebus. Vikes, Ravens, Bears and Bills are likely destinations, supposedly.

-Kevin

And it only took him 3 months to realize it... I doubt he was forced into it. He can change his mind, but why isn't he (or his agent) saying he wants to play for Green Bay? Why have they been dragging this out over the last month or so? Instead it's rumors and requesting a release. If you want to play, then play! You have the perfect situation in Green Bay (winning, fans and money) and you are trying to make a mess of it. Only way it makes sense to me is if it is personal in some way.

dando
07-12-08, 01:33 PM
And it only took him 3 months to realize it... I doubt he was forced into it. He can change his mind, but why isn't he (or his agent) saying he wants to play for Green Bay? Why have they been dragging this out over the last month or so? Instead it's rumors and requesting a release. If you want to play, then play! You have the perfect situation in Green Bay (winning, fans and money) and you are trying to make a mess of it. Only way it makes sense to me is if it is personal in some way.

The talking heads have suggested that he was pressed to make a decision back in March, which is why he elected to retire @ the time. Who knows. If the Pack wasn't willing to take him back, which I can't blame them considering what they are paying AR to sit on the bench, then his only choices were to opt out or remain retired. In any case, it's just a plain ol' ugly situation. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-12-08, 02:05 PM
The talking heads have suggested that he was pressed to make a decision back in March, which is why he elected to retire @ the time. Who knows. If the Pack wasn't willing to take him back, which I can't blame them considering what they are paying AR to sit on the bench, then his only choices were to opt out or remain retired. In any case, it's just a plain ol' ugly situation. :saywhat:

Not sure which talking heads, but I have long since given up on the ones on ESPN. They work themselves up into a tizzy and start contradicting themselves if you let them talk long enough. They start out with a guess, then the guess somehow is a fact, and they refer to it like someone reported it and it keeps snowballing from there.

They aren't paying Rodgers much. He hasn't played, so all the incentives and escalators have yet to trigger. They're only paying him $680k this year. And if he sits this year, he still won't trigger any of that and they have him down for a real low salary again next year. But don't cry for him, he still will have made $7.7M by the end of 2009. ;)

Not sure why it has to be ugly. Put the best player on the field. Give Rodgers a legit shot to play better than Favre.

Tim
07-12-08, 04:10 PM
It's getting good now. The Packers will not release him. They then said that Favre is welcome back on the team as a backup to Rodgers.:rofl:

dando
07-12-08, 05:00 PM
Not sure which talking heads, but I have long since given up on the ones on ESPN. They work themselves up into a tizzy and start contradicting themselves if you let them talk long enough. They start out with a guess, then the guess somehow is a fact, and they refer to it like someone reported it and it keeps snowballing from there.

They aren't paying Rodgers much. He hasn't played, so all the incentives and escalators have yet to trigger. They're only paying him $680k this year. And if he sits this year, he still won't trigger any of that and they have him down for a real low salary again next year. But don't cry for him, he still will have made $7.7M by the end of 2009. ;)

Not sure why it has to be ugly. Put the best player on the field. Give Rodgers a legit shot to play better than Favre.

The usual suspects @ The BFN...Mort and Clayton. They are usually right more often than not.

Sorry, but $8M for a guy to sit and play 2 games over 3 seasons is stupid. Of course, that's where the Brownies are headed Brady Queen. :gomer:

Me thinks there's some bad blood here. Peter King described Thompson as old school, so he may be offended by how Jesus Farve has handled this. Also, if the reports by Fox Sports are correct, and his comeback was agreed upon back in March before Farve changed his mind just days before the announcement, Thompson may be downright pizzled now.

All one can do is :shakehead over all of this drama.

-Kevin

WickerBill
07-12-08, 07:35 PM
This isn't because he's a self-centered douche, guys.

It's because he loves the game SO MUCH! Same reason he throws so many boneheaded picks -- it isn't because he thinks he's a hero, it's because he loves the game SO MUCH!

(Sorry M&Brats, I pledged to stay out of this thread when I saw it this morning, but I have failed... because I love this thread SO MUCH!)

Don Quixote
07-12-08, 07:48 PM
I knew you couldn't keep away. :laugh:

Cam
07-12-08, 08:16 PM
Like a moth to a flame. :laugh:

Insomniac
07-12-08, 08:19 PM
The usual suspects @ The BFN...Mort and Clayton. They are usually right more often than not.

Sorry, but $8M for a guy to sit and play 2 games over 3 seasons is stupid. Of course, that's where the Brownies are headed Brady Queen. :gomer:

Me thinks there's some bad blood here. Peter King described Thompson as old school, so he may be offended by how Jesus Farve has handled this. Also, if the reports by Fox Sports are correct, and his comeback was agreed upon back in March before Farve changed his mind just days before the announcement, Thompson may be downright pizzled now.

All one can do is :shakehead over all of this drama.

-Kevin

It is stupid, but now they're going to pay Favre $12M to sit on the bench for 1 year. :gomer:

In all seriousness, Favre has been doing this ridiculous retirement dance so long now. They didn't draft Rodgers because they thought Favre would be playing this long. They were figuring he was done in a couple years. Now 5 years later he still can't shut up or make up his mind. I'm also sure they want to know what they have in Rodgers. They've invested a lot of time and money in him. If they continue to bench him, they are less likely to find out. I also imagine if he heads into 2009 without a new contract, it will be a mess.

stroker
07-12-08, 08:28 PM
Y'know, I have to ask the question.

If you were a DT and had a chance to hit Rodgers hard enough to knock him out of the game, would you do it knowing you'd be putting Favre on the field?

dando
07-12-08, 09:05 PM
It is stupid, but now they're going to pay Favre $12M to sit on the bench for 1 year. :gomer:

Which makes this situation even more ridiculous. :saywhat: IMO, it's pretty obvious they think there's no way he'll accept the demotion, and are simply calling his bluff.

In all seriousness, Favre has been doing this ridiculous retirement dance so long now. They didn't draft Rodgers because they thought Favre would be playing this long. They were figuring he was done in a couple years. Now 5 years later he still can't shut up or make up his mind. I'm also sure they want to know what they have in Rodgers. They've invested a lot of time and money in him. If they continue to bench him, they are less likely to find out. I also imagine if he heads into 2009 without a new contract, it will be a mess.

I have this image of Jesus Favre sitting on his patio is Missysippy plucking petals from a flower....retire, play, retire, play... :gomer: I was actually shocked he did retire since the Pack came so close to the SB last season. *shrug*

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
07-12-08, 09:22 PM
This isn't because he's a self-centered douche, guys.

It's because he loves the game SO MUCH! Same reason he throws so many boneheaded picks -- it isn't because he thinks he's a hero, it's because he loves the game SO MUCH!

(Sorry M&Brats, I pledged to stay out of this thread when I saw it this morning, but I have failed... because I love this thread SO MUCH!) See my post earlier. The dildo retired so he should STFU. He should take his pension, boil some crawdads and yuck it up in the swamp or whatever the hell you do in Mississipi.

dando
07-12-08, 09:43 PM
or whatever the hell you do in Mississipi.

Sweat mostly. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
07-12-08, 10:18 PM
Sweat mostly. :saywhat:

-Kevin Ya, it's plenty hot. I spent some time in Vicksburg in the summer, I'm a yankee, so I could'nt breath due to the heat and humidity. I tried to go running, but it did'nt work out too well :D Went to Oxford to tour Falkner's home which was fun. Really good food at some small diners. Jalapeno Hush Puppies :thumbup::thumbup:

WickerBill
07-13-08, 06:27 AM
See my post earlier.

I saw it, but I was having trouble believing it!

Methanolandbrats
07-13-08, 07:09 AM
I saw it, but I was having trouble believing it!
I like the guy, but everything comes to an end and in this case it's screwing up the teams preparation. If he was pushed out, he should have filed a public protest when it happened.

nrc
07-13-08, 04:01 PM
They should make him the team mascot. Let him roam the sidelines and throw souvenir footballs to the fans. Just don't expect him to get it to whoever he's throwing to.

Stu
07-14-08, 10:36 AM
They should make him the team mascot. Let him roam the sidelines and throw souvenir footballs to the fans. Just don't expect him to get it to whoever he's throwing to.

kinda like chad johnson but fan's would actually like him.

nrc
07-14-08, 12:35 PM
kinda like chad johnson but fan's would actually like him.

Kinda like Chad, how?

Insomniac
07-14-08, 01:20 PM
Kinda like Chad, how?

I'm guessing he means CJ is the Bengal's team mascot.

Stu
07-14-08, 01:27 PM
Kinda like Chad, how?

isn't Chad the bengals mascot?

he roams around the sidelines wearing stupid costumes like this:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00FEbISc5H4ND/340x.jpg

and you can't tell me this isnt a mask:

http://www.halloween-mask.com/Toybox/tybx06/chadjohnsonpic.jpg

then again, maybe you just dont follow the bengals all that closely.

nrc
07-14-08, 03:58 PM
isn't Chad the bengals mascot?

Ah, I see what you're saying now. I thought you were trying to make a joke.

dando
07-14-08, 05:09 PM

Jesus Farve confirmed being pressed to decide by the Pack brass:

According to Van Susteren, who spoke to the AP by telephone Monday afternoon, Favre said he was "never fully committed" to retiring and felt pressured by the Packers to make a decision, a notion Packers general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy tried to dispel in an interview with the AP on Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3486775

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-14-08, 10:36 PM
Jesus Farve confirmed being pressed to decide by the Pack brass:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3486775

-Kevin

And the team says the opposite. In other news, the sun is yellow. :)

Personally, I'm inclined to believe the team simply because they planned to see him personally when he first wanted to come back, but changed his mind again.

"Them moving on does not bother me," Favre said. "It doesn't. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd, I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is, you know, I'm thinking about playing again."

Did he think that possibly might not happen?

dando
07-15-08, 11:34 AM
And the team says the opposite. In other news, the sun is yellow. :)

Personally, I'm inclined to believe the team simply because they planned to see him personally when he first wanted to come back, but changed his mind again.

The Sun appears to be a rose color in my world. ;)

As is usually the case, I think the truth is somewhere in between. There are so many contradictions in the various statements that have been made it's amusing. There is only one way to fix this now and that's to trade Favre since releasing him doesn't make sense. Trouble is, I doubt there are many teams that can absord the cap hit. What a circus! :shakehead

Mebbe he'll wind up in Denver. :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
07-15-08, 11:55 AM
As is usually the case, I think the truth is somewhere in between.

I think not. Brett's own words don't support his claim. He says he was pressured to "make a decision", not retire. He was never "fully committed to the decision". WTF, then don't tell them you are.

In other words, they showed him the respect to let him make his own choice, but asked that he do it on a timetable that was best for the team. He just hasn't manned up to show them the respect to stick the decision he made.

Phil Simms was friggin cut as a playoff starting QB in a salary cap move and he took it like a man. He knew it was just business. The Pack has done WAY more than any other team would do for one of their stars. Perhaps they should simply make totally about business.

I like Favre too. Sad.

dando
07-15-08, 12:18 PM
I think not. Brett's own words don't support his claim. He says he was pressured to "make a decision", not retire. He was never "fully committed to the decision". WTF, then don't tell them you are.

Check the quotes. He said he felt pressured. Obviously the team was prepping for the draft and wanted to know where he stood. He's an emotional guy, so one can infer that as an emotional person, he probably felt pressure trying to decide. He had his chance to comeback and messed that up, too. Now that the Pack has drafted Brohm, there really isn't a realistic chance for Favre to comeback. Peter King was on The Herd this AM, and he said Thompson sounded lost on what to do. Quite the messy divorce....

EDIT: BTW, I'm not a Favre fanboy or hater. I like his no nonsense approach and rugged persona. On the field he's great @ times and horrible other times. I just don't have strong feelings either way. This is just one of those train wrecks where you're compelled to rubber neck. :(

-Kevin

Stu
07-15-08, 01:49 PM
The Pack has done WAY more than any other team would do for one of their stars. Perhaps they should simply make totally about business.

What have they done for him that another team wouldn't?

Insomniac
07-15-08, 02:22 PM
Check the quotes. He said he felt pressured. Obviously the team was prepping for the draft and wanted to know where he stood. He's an emotional guy, so one can infer that as an emotional person, he probably felt pressure trying to decide. He had his chance to comeback and messed that up, too. Now that the Pack has drafted Brohm, there really isn't a realistic chance for Favre to comeback. Peter King was on The Herd this AM, and he said Thompson sounded lost on what to do. Quite the messy divorce....

EDIT: BTW, I'm not a Favre fanboy or hater. I like his no nonsense approach and rugged persona. On the field he's great @ times and horrible other times. I just don't have strong feelings either way. This is just one of those train wrecks where you're compelled to rubber neck. :(

-Kevin

The quotes also say that in March (before the draft), after he retired and started to change his mind they were ready to see him face-to-face and welcome him back. Then he decided he didn't want to unretire and they did not to see him. They likely pressed him to decide sooner, rather than later so they know how to plan for the next season. As I said before, quit being a big baby. You signed a contract with them, if you want to play, then play.

Insomniac
07-15-08, 02:35 PM
Perhaps they should simply make totally about business.

In GB's case, the best business decision is to 1. trade him to a bad team in the AFC or 2. Keep him on the team. (They can absorb his salary, and I don't know that they'd actually bench him.) Releasing him is the worst option. They get no compensation and he could go to any team. On the other side, his salary is so high and he's a diva, so he can make any team that GB would like him to go to decide they don't want him

I think GB is doing the right thing. They have all the leverage. And Favre will only get so much free will from the fans. If they start Rodgers and he doesn't play well (David Carr, deer in the headlights poor) then the fans don't have to beg for Favre, they'll put him in. It would probably become obvious during preseason. And if Rodgers doesn't suck, Favre will come across as a whiner.

IMO, they should just make a statement that Brett is welcome, that training camp starts on ________ and if he wants to play, he should show up for training camp.

Insomniac
07-15-08, 02:38 PM
What have they done for him that another team wouldn't?

The Patriot's told Troy Brown he's not in their future plans, and Troy has yet to decide if he wants to keep playing or retire. It's a slightly different situation given he is a FA, but they publicly came out and said "we don't want you anymore" to a guy who has done so much for them over the years, and the fans love. They weren't going to wait for him to make a decision, even though he may've just retired and they wouldn't have had to tell him they don't want him.

dando
07-15-08, 03:13 PM
The Patriot's told Troy Brown he's not in their future plans, and Troy has yet to decide if he wants to keep playing or retire. It's a slightly different situation given he is a FA, but they publicly came out and said "we don't want you anymore" to a guy who has done so much for them over the years, and the fans love. They weren't going to wait for him to make a decision, even though he may've just retired and they wouldn't have had to tell him they don't want him.

Is Troy Brown a future HoFer? Apples and oranges.

-Kevin

Gnam
07-15-08, 03:26 PM
Why should GB believe Farve this time? He could retire at any minute.

Also, maybe this is what Farve wanted. He gets to do his job without getting hurt, collect a nice salary, allow the Packers to prepare for his retirement, and even maybe have a chance to play. That sounds like every NFL player's dream retirement scenario, and much better compared to how other HoF players ended their careers.
Montana at KC, and Jerry Rice playing for the Raiders. :yuck:

Insomniac
07-15-08, 03:32 PM
Is Troy Brown a future HoFer? Apples and oranges.

-Kevin

I doubt it, but he certainly earned the right to go out on his own terms.

KaBoom21
07-15-08, 10:05 PM
Wait, Greta Van Susteren is a Wisconsin native and a Packer shareholder?

Fair and balanced, indeed.

dando
07-16-08, 01:43 AM
I doubt it, but he certainly earned the right to go out on his own terms.

Huh? Sorry, but that 'right' doesn't exist in today's NFL, yo. Period.

-Kevin

WickerBill
07-16-08, 09:23 AM
I like his ... rugged persona.

-Kevin

Paramount called, and they want their Brokeback script back.

:)

dando
07-16-08, 10:03 AM
Paramount called, and they want their Brokeback script back.

:)

I hope he winds up in Denver. :p ;)

-Kevin

WickerBill
07-16-08, 10:07 PM
I hope he winds up in Denver. :p ;)

-Kevin

There are some hopeful idiots in Indy who want him to come here and start the season while Manning heals his wittle knee-knee.

Stu
07-17-08, 08:20 AM
There are some hopeful idiots in Indy who want him to come here and start the season while Manning heals his wittle knee-knee.

can you blame them? have you seen Sorgi play before?

dando
07-17-08, 08:49 AM

:laugh:

The Dolts are one QB away from 1-15. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
07-17-08, 08:50 AM
can you blame them? have you seen Sorgi play before?

I heard he chokes. :gomer:

:saywhat: :(

-Kevin

Tim
07-17-08, 04:31 PM
From his Wisconsin days he also has a knack for concussions.

Insomniac
07-18-08, 11:32 AM
Huh? Sorry, but that 'right' doesn't exist in today's NFL, yo. Period.

-Kevin

I know it's not an actual right, but the Patriots could've just shut up and let Troy first decide he didn't want to play than make a preemptive announcement that he isn't in their plans. That's all I'm saying. (He was a free agent)

dando
07-27-08, 11:43 AM
So any truth to the rumor that Gooddell has decided to call rename the league The NFL, powered by Brett Favre? :gomer: ;)

The never-ended sage WWBG continues....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/07/27/favre.camp.deadline/index.html?eref=T1

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-27-08, 12:05 PM
So any truth to the rumor that Gooddell has decided to call rename the league The NFL, powered by Brett Favre? :gomer: ;)

The never-ended sage WWBG continues....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/07/27/favre.camp.deadline/index.html?eref=T1

-Kevin

<conspiracy>He's certainly trying to help out his former employer (New York Jets).</conspiracy> :D

dando
07-29-08, 07:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3509944

Green and Yeller Jeebus sends his reinstatement request to The NFL powered by Brett Favre. John Madden is giddy. :D :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-29-08, 10:01 PM
Trade him somewhere with a conditional pick. He may just retire again if you send him to the "right" place. That, or let him compete.

KaBoom21
07-30-08, 07:56 AM
Jerry Rice had some pretty good years w/ the Raiders.

Jets cut backup punter, so the #4 is now available.

Insomniac
07-30-08, 09:25 AM
Jerry Rice had some pretty good years w/ the Raiders.

Jets cut backup punter, so the #4 is now available.

I can only hope that the Jets send a #1 to GB for Favre.

dando
07-30-08, 12:00 PM
What an f'ing mess. So the president of the Pack flies down to talk Favre down from reporting. Favre has really backed the Pack into a corner now. No way they can dictate a trade for a #1 pick now unless they open it up to more teams than NJY or TB. Plus, in addition to Favre, RB Grant is holding out. GB is going to struggle to be a .500 team under Rodgers me thinks.

And the Who Deys play the Pack on 8/11 on E$PN. All Favre, all the time, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-30-08, 01:08 PM
What an f'ing mess. So the president of the Pack flies down to talk Favre down from reporting. Favre has really backed the Pack into a corner now. No way they can dictate a trade for a #1 pick now unless they open it up to more teams than NJY or TB. Plus, in addition to Favre, RB Grant is holding out. GB is going to struggle to be a .500 team under Rodgers me thinks.

And the Who Deys play the Pack on 8/11 on E$PN. All Favre, all the time, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin

The Packers are idiots. They clearly are backing the wrong QB if they're afraid Brett just being there is a problem. They might as well proclaim that they don't care about winning.

dando
07-30-08, 01:16 PM
The Packers are idiots. They clearly are backing the wrong QB if they're afraid Brett just being there is a problem. They might as well proclaim that they don't care about winning.

But the problem is Favre isn't the long-term solution, and they risk alienating Rodgers if they don't back him over Favre. It's a no-win situation all the way around. Tirico was praising Thompson and McCarthy on his show yesterday...for what reason I have no idea. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-30-08, 02:16 PM
But the problem is Favre isn't the long-term solution, and they risk alienating Rodgers if they don't back him over Favre. It's a no-win situation all the way around. Tirico was praising Thompson and McCarthy on his show yesterday...for what reason I have no idea. :saywhat:

-Kevin

That's the thing. Why not let them compete? Give Rodgers the work with the first team by default and see where it goes. He's been with them long enough to know the offense. He should be able to show he can play by now during the pre-season. It just seems like they needlessly backed themselves into this corner. If Rodgers can't 1. compete for the job or 2. prove to be effective, why would you care about long term? I mean, what more can you ask for here? Here's the ball, it's your job to lose. The coaches can evaluate whether he's making the proper reads/decisions. If he can't do that by now, he isn't the long term solution. He's a 1st round bust.

stroker
07-30-08, 04:33 PM
Seems to me that if the Packers fell into a good deal on an experienced QB they'd have to jump on it. Why should Rodgers think he's got an exclusive right to that job? Let them play off for it.

Insomniac
07-31-08, 03:53 PM
$20M to not play! That should cement the Packers as having the worst front office in sports history. If that is remotely true, the shareholders should be flipping out.

tllips
07-31-08, 03:57 PM
ESPN AM1000 in Chicago is also reporting that the Packers may even be talking to the Bears about a trade.

Insomniac
07-31-08, 04:40 PM
ESPN AM1000 in Chicago is also reporting that the Packers may even be talking to the Bears about a trade.

I think it's clear they don't want him around. If you're going to cut him, he can sign anywhere. Might as well get a draft pick and let him play anywhere.

dando
07-31-08, 04:53 PM
$20M to not play! That should cement the Packers as having the worst front office in sports history. If that is remotely true, the shareholders should be flipping out.

This has gone from surreal to absurd. Apparently they are also considering divisional teams now. What an f'ing joke. :laugh:

-Kevin

dando
08-03-08, 06:53 PM
So now Farve is welcome back and can compete for the #1 job. :rofl: What a cluster****. :saywhat: :shakehead

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/preview/2008/08/03/favre/index.html?eref=T1

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-03-08, 07:00 PM
Could be trade leverage. They're making it seem that they are willing to let him play. As opposed to burying him on the depth chart. Let him "compete" and wait for a starting QB to go down. I'm thinking a Washington/Jason Taylor scenario, precipitated by a Rodney Harrison/Trent Green scenario. ;)

dando
08-03-08, 08:37 PM
Could be trade leverage. They're making it seem that they are willing to let him play. As opposed to burying him on the depth chart. Let him "compete" and wait for a starting QB to go down. I'm thinking a Washington/Jason Taylor scenario, precipitated by a Rodney Harrison/Trent Green scenario. ;)

All I know is I'll be watching the Bungles vs. GB with alot more interest on 8/11. :)

-Kevin

dando
08-04-08, 09:06 AM
As heard on M&M this AM (to the tune of My Boyfriends Back):

<Madden voice>

Brett Favre's back and the defense is in trouble. Hey now, my Brett Favre's back!
</Madden voice>

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-05-08, 01:06 PM
I'm sure T.O. has his popcorn ready. The latest:

"They want to know if I'm committed but I want to know if they're 100 percent committed. The problem is that there's been a lot of damage done and I can't forget it. Stuff has been said, stories planted, that just aren't true. Can I get over all that? I doubt it."

Asked what stories have been "planted," Favre alluded to the reports that said he waffled on un-retiring in late March or early April. He said that's "just not the way it went down, at all."

He also expressed anger with the stories that alleged he had a team-issued cell phone that showed the Vikings were tampering with him.

"Again, that was bull on both parts," he said.

"Then," Favre said, "they tried to buy me off to stay retired."

He added, "So they can say they welcome me back but, come on, the way they've treated me tells you the truth. They don't want me back, so let's move on. I don't know where it's headed. We'll see."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3520064

dando
08-05-08, 01:53 PM
I still can't get over how Tirico was lavishing praise on the Pack a couple of weeks ago for how they've handled this situation. :laugh: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Stu
08-05-08, 03:22 PM
I still can't get over how Tirico was lavishing praise on the Pack a couple of weeks ago for how they've handled this situation. :laugh: :saywhat:

-Kevin

isnt that the same guy who said danica's win was the biggest achievement for women in sports history?

FTG
08-05-08, 05:33 PM
I can't figure out what the Packers are thinking. Anyone believe that they're better off without Favre?

dando
08-05-08, 05:44 PM
I can't figure out what the Packers are thinking. Anyone believe that they're better off without Favre?

Aaron Rodgers. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
08-05-08, 05:45 PM
isnt that the same guy who said danica's win was the biggest achievement for women in sports history?

Well he is from Michigan.... :gomer:

-Kevin

WickerBill
08-05-08, 05:46 PM

I do.

Maybe not this year, but years 3-10 will be far better for playing Rodgers and Brohm now. They're not a Super Bowl team this year anyway -- strength of schedule is way up from last year. They drafted as if he were retired and now he's showing them up.

G.
08-05-08, 06:22 PM
He bailed before practice started. :D

This reminds me of when Michael Jordan unretired the 2nd time. It was just sort of sad.

(I excuse his first unretirement.)

Cam
08-05-08, 07:35 PM
He bailed before practice started. :D

This reminds me of when Michael Jordan unretired the 2nd time. It was just sort of sad.

(I excuse his first unretirement.)

I was at MSA for his first unretirement. The boos when he was intro'd onto the court warmed my heart :)

dando
08-05-08, 09:50 PM
I do.

Maybe not this year, but years 3-10 will be far better for playing Rodgers and Brohm now. They're not a Super Bowl team this year anyway -- strength of schedule is way up from last year. They drafted as if he were retired and now he's showing them up.

You've just been spoiled by teh greatness that was Griese and Jake 'The Snake'. :gomer: :p

The problem with the Pack w/o Favre is they have 2 rookies as backups if Rodgers goes down...and based on history, that is not all that unlikely.

-Kevin

Insomniac
08-05-08, 10:19 PM

They are if this sing and dance continues after this season. They keep wasting draft picks on QBs. He caused all these problems because he can't STFU.

FTG
08-05-08, 10:22 PM
They're not a Super Bowl team this year anyway.

The NFL ain't an apprenticeship. The Pack had the second best record in the division last year: better than the Giants. By your logic, the Colts should get rid of Manning and let his replacement get his feet wet.

WickerBill
08-06-08, 06:27 AM
The NFL ain't an apprenticeship. The Pack had the second best record in the division last year: better than the Giants. By your logic, the Colts should get rid of Manning and let his replacement get his feet wet.

What? My only logic is that they have a tougher schedule this year and will not make the super bowl, and may not win their division. So if they're 9-7 this year with Favre and he retires yet again, was it worth bringing him back? Or would you rather be 7-9 this year with Rodgers and have him actually be a "real" veteran QB the following year? How many years are you willing to screw up your draft because you believe Favre is going to leave?

Let's tick off some names the Packers could have had in the 2005 draft if they hadn't drafted Rodgers because Favre was waffling about retirement:

Luis Castillo
Heath Miller
Logan Mankins
Lofa Tatupu
Marion Barber
Brandon Jacobs

...and then they used a second-round pick this year on a QB because He wasn't waffling this time, he was really retired. Who knows what they will have missed out on...

FTG
08-06-08, 09:13 AM
The Giants won a Superbowl, without winning their division, with a 10-6 record and a quarterback who got hot for 4 games. 9-7, plus Favre could win the Superbowl. Especially if you believe "Romo can't win a big game." The Giants have lost a lot of players.

WickerBill
08-06-08, 10:34 AM
It's very, very unlikely. VERY... and your comparison to Manning is invalid. Manning hasn't been kvetching about retirement for three straight offseasons now, throwing his team's entire building strategy for a loop every time.

Andrew Longman
08-06-08, 11:32 AM
The Giants won a Superbowl, without winning their division, with a 10-6 record and a quarterback who got hot for 4 games. 9-7, plus Favre could win the Superbowl. Especially if you believe "Romo can't win a big game." The Giants have lost a lot of players.

The Giants won old school by being a "team". And that only happened when they got Barber and then Shockey off the team. It pulled people together and let some shine, especially Eli.

They also got incredibly lucky. I can count about two dozen play, half in the Superbowl itself, that could have gone another way and they'd lose.

Still, the point it Favre made it about him and that is a cardinal sin in football more than any other sport. He had to go.

Sad it took 6 hours of meetings with the coach and a trip to camp for Brett to finally get it, but at least he gets it.

And he really won't like TB either. He'll see that it wasn't just the playing he missed.

Too bad. I like the guy.

Insomniac
08-06-08, 12:21 PM
Supposedly the Jets have the best offer on the table.

Don Quixote
08-06-08, 12:38 PM
If the Jets pick him up, they should bring Broadway Joe out of retirement as his backup. Imagine the ticket sales.