PDA

View Full Version : Miller: A Costly Crashfest

Audi_A4
07-03-08, 09:48 PM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-a-costly-crashfest/miller-a-costly-crashfest :eek:

Methanolandbrats
07-03-08, 11:56 PM
Why won't Tony buy them new toys? :confused:

Andrew Longman
07-04-08, 12:32 AM
In the mid-1990s, former USAC and Indy driver Steve Chassey had about 40 percent of the CART community insured but today his company (Chassey Enterprises) only has a few takers because ovals are all but taboo.

"I can still insure road courses and street circuits but the underwriters won't do the ovals because they learned that oval-track crashes were frequent and very expensive," said Chassey. "Now I just do a few one-offs for ride buyers on road races."

But the experts at TF told me street races cause much more expensive damage than ovals :shakehead

dando
07-04-08, 12:35 AM
VISION RACING: After tangling with Andretti, A.J. Foyt IV
bounced off the wall and out of the race and his attenuator struck teammate Ed Carpenter's car and peeled off the right front upright. Carpenter returned to action 62 laps down and still wound up finishing 11th. "Anthony wasn't too bad, a couple corners, the gearbox and rear wing," said Kevin Kaye, team manager for Tony George's operation. "We got out pretty cheap, about $45,000."

Obviously, it would seem like a good idea to have insurance since the IRL runs 11 of its 18 races on ovals.

:laugh: :shakehead

My guess is that 2-3 teams don't answer the bell for next season after the carnage this season...unless :tony: digs deeper into his wallet. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
07-04-08, 12:41 AM
:laugh: :shakehead

My guess is that 2-3 teams don't answer the bell for next season after the carnage this season...unless :tony: digs deeper into his wallet. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Given the "bloated" car count, a few may not finish the season. The points fund will not cover their costs and TG has more than enough to "fill" the field.

And the 500 is behind us.

What would be the point?

Spicoli
07-04-08, 01:00 AM
Given the "bloated" car count, a few may not finish the season. The points fund will not cover their costs and TG has more than enough to "fill" the field.

And the 500 is behind us.

What would be the point?

i dunno. maybe integrity? success? vitality?

Andrew Longman
07-04-08, 01:50 AM
i dunno. maybe integrity? success? vitality?

2009-2011 will be the "Centennial Era" for the I500, a 100 year anniversary so "vital and full of integrity" it takes three years to celebrate.

All is good.

What are we drinking tonight? :D

Spicoli
07-04-08, 06:11 AM
2009-2011 will be the "Centennial Era" for the I500, a 100 year anniversary so "vital and full of integrity" it takes three years to celebrate.

All is good.

What are we drinking tonight? :D

whine and then some Longhammer IPAs and accourse some Bell's Oberon. Not good for sleepin. :irked:

gjc2
07-04-08, 07:19 AM
As the season goes on it's becoming more obvious to anyone who thought a "unified" series would solve everything that the problem with open wheel racing wasn't the "split" it was the IRL and TG.

High Sided
07-04-08, 04:37 PM
ROTH RACING: Andretti's optimistic move going into Turn 1 reduced his Dallara to junk. Estimate: $250,000.
:D:D:D

NismoZ
07-05-08, 06:43 PM
Not just that but the damn things cost way more than the DP01s to start and cost way more to repair. There is way less equality among the teams because of their rules and saving anyone money is only lip service. Exchange rate alone should have mandated a quick change when they could actually have gone to a well-sorted vehicle and saved even more $$. The ONLY reason I can see for not going forward with the Panoz at "merger" was fear on the part of the League. The future of the sport, the series and of course cost containment were all secondary to the possibility of being embarrassed by the CC guys. (As it turns out N/H/L&Rahal took care of that pretty quickly anyway) Sure I'm aware it was late and numbers presented a problem but why wait 'til '010-11? Fear? Speaking of cost, how many teams will cry poor and not go to Surfers because they can't afford it and it awards no points anyway? They'll get docked some for NOT going but will it save them something if some have already decided to fold after Chicago? Brisco may have pole but I hope Wilson just WAXES everyone tomorrow!:mad:

NismoZ
07-07-08, 10:23 AM
Oh well...**sigh**

Elmo T
07-07-08, 10:36 AM
Miller: A Costly Crashfest

And that was before Sunday's race? :shakehead