PDA

View Full Version : Book Review, King of the Boards

Ziggy
05-21-03, 11:08 AM
King of the Boards, The Life and Times of Jimmy Murphy, by Gary Doyle

This is just an outstanding book! A very limited production, and a sure fire collector in the years to come.

An overview of the "roaring twenties" and a history lesson on the development of San Francisco. The author sets the stage with short yet interesting and well researched topics such as Irish immigration to the West Coast, The San Francisco earthquake and subsequent fire, and the rapid acceptance of the automobile and its importance of shaping our future. It seems the "roaring twenties" were not that grand at all, a time of hardship, and confusion as new ways were accepted.

These themes surround the reader as Doyle brings forth the beginnings of American Racing. The early events such as the Vanderbilt Cup held in Santa Monica and Corona. The triumphs and tragedies that ultimately lead to proper circuit racing. The entire scope of this book cannot be reviewed for its detail of such things as riding mechanics, mechanical developments, men working in which plants etc. This book is very thorough, and covers all aspects of this developing and specialized sport.

Murphy's meteoric career knifes in and out of all these early phases. Jimmy's Land Speed efforts, Indianapolis endeavors, as well as his attempts and ultimate victory of the French Grand Prix in 1921, and racing at the new Monza circuit are very carefully set up and explained in great detail.

This book is a must read for any serious student of the Sport. So much more so for American fans, as it fills a huge void left by time forgotten. The details of this era are fading very fast. The author is to be commended for writing such a detailed and outstanding chronological book.

Read more here at

http://www.king-of-the-boards.com

Ziggy

RichK
05-21-03, 12:04 PM
Just called to order one as an early birthday present to myself.
Thanks, Ziggy, I didn't realize that the bay area and West Coast had such a cool motor racing history.

BTW, I was at the SJ Sharks arena last week, and the arena has a few plaques up of the local sports heroes. One of the plaques was of Joe Leonard (http://www.mshf.com/index.htm?/hof/leonard_joe.htm), who I didn't realize was from San Jose (I was born during his racing era).

RichK

Ziggy
05-21-03, 03:00 PM
Pelican Joe Leonard is from San Jose. Joe was also an AMA flat track star and the sports national champion. In those early days, the points title was not the champ. Whomever won the Springfield Mile was awarded the number 1 plate!

Joe had a distinguished career in Champcars, and The National Championship twice!

but Hey, He was an American, so it was nothing

Ziggy

RichK
06-04-03, 12:11 PM
Got my copy of King of the Boardslast night. I can already tell I'm going to love this book, it's got tons of pictures! :gomer:

I still can't believe that there was a giant oval raceway in BEVERLY HILLS, CA. The Los Angeles Motor Speedway. There is an incredible overhead shot of the raceway, you can see Rodeo Drive, Sunset Blvd and Wilshire in the shot. I had no idea!

RichK
11-20-03, 02:13 PM
*bump*

I just finished this book (yes, it took 6 months, try reading for pleasure with a 1 year old terrorizing the house! :D ).

I highly recommend it to anyone interested in racing. The photos really take you back to a time that is almost lost in history. The chapter on Jimmy Murphy travelling to Le Mans for the French GP is worth the book price alone.