PDA

View Full Version : Virginia is for Futility

extramundane
06-27-08, 09:32 PM
I figured I'd give the usual suspects a break and get this futile party started. An angry mother nature threw out some hellacious thunderstorms earlier that wrecked practice, but not before Hideki Mutoh managed to run over a crew member. Alas, it's been really hot this week, so the track apparently dried quick enough for qualifying.

1. Toucan Tony
2. Maaco
3. L'il Rahole
4. Dixon
5. 2004 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Winner Buddy Rice
6. Danny Teef
7. Mutoh
8. Foytmania!
9. Blinky Coyne
10. Servia
[...]
13. Special Ed!
14. Princess TV Ratings Bonanza
15. Marty The One-Man Party!

Report on the local news showed an exclusive, invitation-only crowd in the stands for quallies and USUCK Silver Crowns.

High of 99 with a 50% chance of strong/severe t-storms tomorrow night. The 18 people who actually bought tickets might be disappointed. :gomer:

(Hello, Mr. Hunting Dog! Thanks for reading!)

opinionated ow
06-27-08, 09:54 PM
I figured I'd give the usual suspects a break and get this futile party started. An angry mother nature threw out some hellacious thunderstorms earlier that wrecked practice, but not before Hideki Mutoh managed to run over a crew member. Alas, it's been really hot this week, so the track apparently dried quick enough for qualifying.

1. Toucan Tony
2. Maaco
3. L'il Rahole
4. Dixon
5. 2004 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Winner Buddy Rice
6. Danny Teef
7. Mutoh
8. Foytmania!
9. Blinky Coyne
10. Servia
[...]
13. Special Ed!

Report on the local news showed an exclusive, invitation-only crowd in the stands for quallies and USUCK Silver Crowns.

High of 99 with a 50% chance of strong/severe t-storms tomorrow night. The 18 people who actually bought tickets might be disappointed. :gomer:

(Hello, Mr. Hunting Dog! Thanks for reading!)

The USAC races should have been ok...they got rid of the buttmobiles and went back to what worked.

extramundane
06-27-08, 10:05 PM
The USAC races should have been ok...they got rid of the buttmobiles and went back to what worked.

Did they get rid of USAC too?

Edit: Case in point: local paper said it was a 60 lap race split into 31 and 29-lap segments. That's pointless BS.

Sean Malone
06-27-08, 10:59 PM
Buddy Rice won the Indy 500? You've gotta be #$&*#$* me!!:confused:

pchall
06-28-08, 09:56 AM
Never forget the #14 car!

[...]
13. Special Ed!
[...]
22. Tex Manning

extramundane
06-28-08, 12:49 PM
Never forget the #14 car!

D'oh! Rookie mistake.

SurfaceUnits
06-28-08, 02:38 PM
danica will soon hold a press conference where she will announce the impending replacement of her entire inept crew

Insomniac
06-28-08, 07:20 PM
danica will soon hold a press conference where she will announce the impending replacement of her entire inept crew

We must be weeks from an article on The Onion where Danica blames God.

Methanolandbrats
06-28-08, 07:55 PM
I got popcorn and I got beers................who needs fireworks on the fourth :thumbup:

trish
06-28-08, 08:14 PM
I've never seen so much aluminum.

RusH
06-28-08, 08:20 PM
pack`m in like a unopened Marlboros, smack, smack, smack.
Easier to light up, and burn. :D

pchall
06-28-08, 08:28 PM
Double Vision!

How much will the boss pay himself for 23rd and 24th place?

trish
06-28-08, 08:29 PM
This broadcast has everything to tick a viewer off. All Danica all the time, and a TG interview thrown in for good measure. I think I'll watch a movie instead.

extramundane
06-28-08, 08:33 PM
From the pitch of the mosquito swarms over the river, it sounds like they've been wrecking left and right already. :shakehead

RusH
06-28-08, 08:33 PM
What`s wrong with TG?

SurfaceUnits
06-28-08, 08:41 PM
I've never seen so much aluminum.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/06/27/PH2008062703417.jpg

RusH
06-28-08, 08:55 PM
just damn, a joke turns into a laugh factory :rofl:

EDwardo
06-28-08, 08:58 PM
just damn, a joke turns into a laugh factory :rofl:

Last Comic Standing on a Saturday night?

:rofl:

extramundane
06-28-08, 09:28 PM
13 cars left at halfway? :rofl:

Some strong t-storms coming in from the west. Dunno if they'll make it in time, but hopefully mother nature flushes this turd before it stinks up the place permanently.

trish
06-28-08, 09:34 PM

Some strong t-storms coming in from the west. Dunno if they'll make it in time, but hopefully mother nature flushes this turd before it stinks up the place permanently.

Maybe Danica will get win number two tonight.

dando
06-28-08, 09:45 PM

Dems the thorms that blew through here ~4pm today. The radar is clear around Richmondtucky, so I'll bet they get the race in tonight.

WTF, happened to Rahole Jr.? Another taste of the wall? Jeebus.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-28-08, 09:49 PM
Heartbrake........pride of Japan broke and the mexican camarini backed it in while in p3. :cry:

trish
06-29-08, 12:20 PM
They're claiming 60,000 in attendance.

Methanolandbrats
06-29-08, 12:30 PM
They're claiming 60,000 in attendance.
Wow, judging by how little room the crowd took up, that place must have more seats than Indy.

extramundane
06-29-08, 01:42 PM
Total BS. Capacity is 112K, and 1/2 of the stands (if not 2/3) weren't even open. 35K tops, and I'd bet 15-20k of that was freebies.

Insomniac
06-29-08, 02:00 PM
Who won? On the ESPN.com front page there's only an article about Gossage wanting the IRL at all his tracks.

extramundane
06-29-08, 02:02 PM
Who won? On the ESPN.com front page there's only an article about Gossage wanting the IRL at all his tracks.

Danica, of course.

SurfaceUnits
06-29-08, 02:03 PM

no winners, just a bunch of loosers:gomer:

FCYTravis
06-29-08, 02:53 PM
Dallara won.

I think 16 out of the 26 starters hit the wall or other cars at some point in the race. It got so bad, teams were doing NASCAR-style "patch 'em up and get them val-yoo-able championship points" runs.

Jag_Warrior
06-29-08, 06:22 PM
Is this Hideki Mutoh fellow as talented as Shiggy? If he is, I might have to start watching. Mr. Bombastic, Simply Fantastic... SHIGGY! was my heeeero. If Hideki is half as good as Shigeaki, and manages to get a cool nickname, consider me a fan. :tony:

Insomniac
06-29-08, 07:49 PM
Danica, of course.

There's no way I could miss that on the front page of ESPN.com. :D

oddlycalm
06-29-08, 07:55 PM
Didn't see it, but if 16 out of 26 cars crash out, most before the halfway point and run more than 1/3 of the race under yellow they have a serious problem with officiating as well as their car specifications. If journeyman drivers put them in the wall with regularity that's a spec problem. If drivers are smacking into other cars with regularity that's an officiating problem. Probably some of both.

oc

DagoFast
06-29-08, 11:43 PM
Didn't see it, but if 16 out of 26 cars crash out, most before the halfway point and run more than 1/3 of the race under yellow they have a serious problem with officiating as well as their car specifications. If journeyman drivers put them in the wall with regularity that's a spec problem. If drivers are smacking into other cars with regularity that's an officiating problem. Probably some of both.

oc

There's no problem. Danica is the bestest most famous driver in history. The cars don't fly, the officiating is fair and balanced and everybody is one big happy family.:gomer::gomer::gomer:

:p

TravelGal
06-30-08, 02:12 AM
Dallara won.

I think 16 out of the 26 starters hit the wall or other cars at some point in the race. It got so bad, teams were doing NASCAR-style "patch 'em up and get them val-yoo-able championship points" runs.

What's up with that? I thought you couldn't stay out there if you were off pace. Or did I miss that rule change. <yawn>

SurfaceUnits
06-30-08, 09:22 AM
unfortunately for the gomers, the IRl has made the cars and tracks so safe that wrecks aren't exciting anymore because you know the drivers aren't going to be injured :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
06-30-08, 10:17 AM
Marty Roth was spectacular in his roll as "Blocker". :thumbup:

and lets hear it for the spectacular Attenuator. AJIV hits the wall, Attenuator bounces back on the track and Stepson Carpenter collects it with his right front . . . Nice play all around!

pchall
06-30-08, 10:22 AM
It seems that favored teams get to run bailing wire specials as long as they need to earn valuable boxtop points towards the "champeenship" while wankers like Marty Roth are ordered to retire with "handling" trouble so they can live to fill the field another day.

What's up with that? I thought you couldn't stay out there if you were off pace. Or did I miss that rule change. <yawn>

extramundane
06-30-08, 10:52 AM
and lets hear it for the spectacular Attenuator. AJIV hits the wall, Attenuator bounces back on the track and Stepson Carpenter collects it with his right front . . . Nice play all around!

Damn, I wish I'd seen that. Vision Double Play!

Methanolandbrats
06-30-08, 11:28 AM

and lets hear it for the spectacular Attenuator. AJIV hits the wall, Attenuator bounces back on the track and Stepson Carpenter collects it with his right front . . . Nice play all around!:laugh:

TKGAngel
06-30-08, 12:44 PM

Marty Roth...the new 'King Hiro. Is it too much to hope that he steps out of his car for Edmonton and allows PT to drive?

The officiating during the race was a bit of a joke. RHR spins on the first lap, doesn't hit anything, and we then have a multi-lap caution? What the hell for?

Judging from the post-race stuff I've read, it sounds like Jeemy is ready to start doing back handsprings down pit road. Oriol finished 5th in the race and is 9th in points. That's not too shabby.

extramundane
06-30-08, 12:51 PM
Marty Roth...the new 'King Hiro.

That's insulting to Hiro--at least he managed to win a championship along the way.

SurfaceUnits
06-30-08, 12:53 PM
Richmond will have to add more aluminum for next year

http://www.indybooks.net/images/richmond.jpg

Wheel-Nut
06-30-08, 02:07 PM
The "walk up" crowd hadn't walked up yet.

Wheel-Nut
06-30-08, 02:11 PM
Cliff notes of the car-nage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMEHw_BHSU

indyfan31
06-30-08, 03:16 PM
I think the french commentary actually made it more interesting.

Jag_Warrior
06-30-08, 08:31 PM
The "walk up" crowd hadn't walked up yet.

Maybe they walked up, took a sniff and decided to keep on steppin'.

SurfaceUnits
06-30-08, 08:34 PM
I can't only amagione how exciting 102 laps under yellow must have been

pchall
06-30-08, 10:32 PM
The 4 min. frog résumé of the race was excruciating. Imagine watching all of it while sitting in the grandstands in 80+F humid evening heat.

miatanut
07-01-08, 12:10 PM
Cliff notes of the car-nage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMEHw_BHSU

Looks like the :gomer:s got a perfect race! IRL is probably pretty happy too.

Only folks that are bummed are the teams with crash damage and true fans of racing.

Neither of them count, right?