PDA

View Full Version : Andretti wakes up, smells coffee

extramundane
06-27-08, 09:25 AM
Herta & Lesser Fittipaldi s***canned, Franck Montagny hired (http://endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=5894&thold=0).

Andretti Green Racing (AGR) announced today it has signed Franck Montagny to become the primary driver of the #26 XM Satellite Radio Acura ARX-01b for the remainder of the 2008 American Le Mans Series (ALMS) season, beginning with the next tour stop at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Ct.

A variety of drivers will team with Montagny during the final seven ALMS events of 2008 beginning with Marco Andretti, who drives one of Andretti Green's four IndyCar Series machines. Andretti will qualify for the IndyCar Series event on July 11 at Nashville Superspeedway and then travel to Lime Rock for the July 12th running of the American Le Mans Northeast Grand Prix. Following the ALMS event, he will return to Nashville for the Firestone Indy 200 later that night.

Wonder if they'll be "smart" enough to let The Princess have a spin at some point? If Herta embarrassed her in the car last year, I can only imagine what Montagny will do...

KLang
06-27-08, 10:10 AM
Isn't it probably Honda calling all the shots anyway?

pchall
06-27-08, 10:17 AM
Does this suggest pressure from Honda to produce de Ferran Racing - like results? Hiring Montagny makes some sense, but choosing the flavor of the race for the second driver each event makes very little competitive sense. But then, is Mikey capable of making a good decision without being handed a wad of ¥en and an instruction sheet?

The best result could be Andretti the Least, Patrican't, and Kannose in rotation, each in turn getting exposed by a better all around talent.

Chrissy Fittipaldi won't be missed a bit. Poor, Herta, though.

extramundane
06-27-08, 10:41 AM
Does this suggest pressure from Honda to produce de Ferran Racing - like results?

I think that's it exactly. Highcroft's been overall the best Acura team since the program debuted, then de Ferran shows up and blows the doors off everybody. Doesn't look too good on Fernandez, but looks even worse on Honda's favorite sons.

Hiring Montagny makes some sense, but choosing the flavor of the race for the second driver each event makes very little competitive sense. But then, is Mikey capable of making a good decision without being handed a wad of ¥en and an instruction sheet?

The best result could be Andretti the Least, Patrican't, and Kannose in rotation, each in turn getting exposed by a better all around talent.

True dat. There's enough real talent sitting on the sidelines already. Montagny's the best driver AGR has hired in a long time (for either series) though, so he can probably carry Maaco or Toucan Sam. Princessa, on the other hand...

Chrissy Fittipaldi won't be missed a bit. Poor, Herta, though.

I don't feel too bad for Herta. He's past his sell-by date for a regular top-line ride, IMO. If AGR was smart (yeah, I know...), they'd keep him on for developmental work.

Why they thought Fittipaldi was a good idea is beyond me.

Methanolandbrats
06-27-08, 11:10 AM
Why they thought Fittipaldi was a good idea is beyond me.
Ain't that the truth, even in his prime he sucked. His only talent was backing the car in and knocking himself out, he had that perfected.

cameraman
06-27-08, 11:24 AM
Having rotating second drivers is how you lose.
I'm happy to see Montagny getting paid too bad it had to be with AGR...

opinionated ow
06-27-08, 09:51 PM
Having rotating second drivers is how you lose.
I'm happy to see Montagny getting paid too bad it had to be with AGR...

I take it this in combination with his prototype drive in Europe?

extramundane
06-27-08, 10:07 PM
I take it this in combination with his prototype drive in Europe?

The Peugeot drive was Le Mans-only.

Tim
06-28-08, 10:47 PM
Ain't that the truth, even in his prime he sucked. His only talent was backing the car in and knocking himself out, he had that perfected.

I skipped a whole day of school just to see 15 mins of practice that day.

RHR_Fan
06-28-08, 11:41 PM
Guess I won't be seeing CF at Road America. Oh well. :gomer:

opinionated ow
06-29-08, 01:33 AM
The Peugeot drive was Le Mans-only.

Yep. Its ok, I was thinking of Simon Pagenaud

Fio1
06-29-08, 03:31 AM
Smart move! This is not 1995; those two are WAY passed their prime, off to Grand-Am you go boys.......:laugh:

My pick for a teammate for Montagny? Minassian! I don't think there is a better sportscar driver around who is not tied to Audi or Porsche.

pchall
06-29-08, 07:58 AM
Smart move! This is not 1995; those two are WAY passed their prime, off to Grand-Am you go boys.......:laugh:

My pick for a teammate for Montagny? Minassian! I don't think there is a better sportscar driver around who is not tied to Audi or Porsche.

Minnie sure did much better with Creation and Pescarolo rides than I expected and earned that ride with Peugeot. His driving in the rain a LeMans was spectacular. There's probably not enough ¥en left in Honda's handouts to AGR to pry him away from Peugeot, though.

oddlycalm
06-29-08, 05:29 PM
Montagny is very good but I don't see him carrying the team.

oc

Trevor Longman
06-29-08, 08:06 PM
www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=4386

At least for Lime Rock, Marco is his teammate. I don't know why he wouldn't also drive for them in the next race in Mid-Ohio, they share the weekend with Indycar.

pchall
07-02-08, 12:26 PM
Why would Mikey want to let Marco have a chance to suck twice in one weekend in front of Honda ¥enmen?

www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=4386

At least for Lime Rock, Marco is his teammate. I don't know why he wouldn't also drive for them in the next race in Mid-Ohio, they share the weekend with Indycar.

cameraman
08-05-08, 12:38 PM
The Acura folks must be really in Mikey's face for this to happen:

Former Honda and Super Aguri F1 test driver James Rossiter has been announced as a driver with the Andretti Green Racing (AGR) in at least the next two races in the American Le Mans Series. He will join another former F1 man Franck Montagny.

“I’m really looking forward to driving the XM Acura for Andretti Green Racing in the ALMS and in the United States. I’m looking forward to the new challenge as well as racing with Franck (Montagny). I really just want to enter into this with the goal of learning as much as possible. AGR has a great history as a great team, so hopefully we can do some great things together.”

Andretti is quite the lap dog.

Methanolandbrats
08-05-08, 01:30 PM
The Acura folks must be really in Mikey's face for this to happen:

Andretti is quite the lap dog. Mikey has so many strings implanted in his back he probably has trouble keeping track of who is pulling them. I sure hope that slut's car blows up this weekend.............right in front of me :thumbup:

cameraman
08-05-08, 02:38 PM
I've got highly divided feelings there, I want to see Montagny do well but I love to see Mikey fail:saywhat:

Methanolandbrats
08-05-08, 02:59 PM
I've got highly divided feelings there, I want to see Montagny do well but I love to see Mikey fail:saywhat: That is a problem. Along the same lines, I admire De Ferran, but I hate Honda, what to do? I love Porsche, but I hate Penske...:confused: To make things worse, I have a friend who works on Massen's car. ALMS is a very conflicted series :D

Methanolandbrats
08-10-08, 12:30 AM
Mikey has so many strings implanted in his back he probably has trouble keeping track of who is pulling them. I sure hope that slut's car blows up this weekend.............right in front of me :thumbup:SPOILER WARNING replying to self concerning ALMS at RA.........

Yahoo!........dreams do come true........GREAT RACE........last half hour was incredible :D:D:thumbup::thumbup:

pchall
08-10-08, 07:45 AM
Spoiler Warning!

SPOILER WARNING replying to self concerning ALMS at RA........

Yahoo!........dreams do come true........GREAT RACE........last half hour was incredible :D:D:thumbup::thumbup:

I hope it was an expensive crunch and that souvenirs landed nearby! :laugh: