PDA

View Full Version : are YOU ready to wait?

G.
06-25-08, 12:52 PM
Show of hands; Who's willing to wait until 2011 for a new formula??

Anyone?

warning: it's that BAD place (http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=11810)

Fourteen automobile manufacturers or engine builders were represented, with four unable to attend because of schedule conflicts but seeking updates. The sanctioning Indy Racing League has targeted 2011 - aligned with the 100th anniversary of the first Indianapolis 500 -- for the introduction of a new engine and chassis.

Sigh.

So, anybody grilling up something special for the 4th of July?

cameraman
06-25-08, 01:00 PM
I've been waiting for well over a decade. Actually I'm not waiting, I've written it off as a lost cause. Should something new appear I'll give it a look but I'm not actually expecting to see anything.

rosawendel
06-25-08, 01:29 PM
I've got ALMS and F1 to keep me busy. Call me when you've got something for me to look at.

aportinga
06-25-08, 01:50 PM
I am waiting for Atlantics to be on TV.

Insomniac
06-25-08, 02:35 PM
No other option but to wait. I know for me personally, it will take a better on track product and buzz before I care. The crapwagons now are terrible. I was already "against" the IRL and the cars don't help. It's one thing if CART would've used that spec after they already had me. I'd complain, but watch most likely. Better cars, better racing and maybe I'll watch. But in 3 years, I doubt I'll care for the IRL more than I do now.

I think this "merger" showed my loyalty was to CART and probably PT. Since both are gone, I just don't care. Which highlights the revolving door driver lineups did not help at all. That's why I watched CART over the IRL when I had no idea about the split or the politics. I do believe though, the racing was improved greatly last year too. :) :(

pchall
06-25-08, 03:23 PM
Two and a half years more of Dallara-Honda crapwagons? Spare me. :shakehead

Somebody please hang a turbo on a Swift-Mazda soon!

dando
06-25-08, 03:44 PM
Meh. I'm not waiting for anything. Wake me up when '11 rolls around, and I might give a ****. More than likely not. Besides, Micro will be in F1 by then. :gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-25-08, 04:31 PM
Right now very few people care about AOW. Two more years of the current garbage and even fewer people will care. And I might be wrong, but I have a hunch Tony will do something stoopid in two years :gomer:

oddlycalm
06-25-08, 04:53 PM
Brainfart had the following to say...

and talk about technology transfer from racing into passenger cars
and later

Exclusive supply on chassis and tires is the best way of controlling performance, speed, costs and safety," he said.
I'd really like to hear about all the technology transfer they're gonna have from a spec series with no technical development....:gomer: :laugh:

As the saying goes, you just can't make this stuff up.

oc

eiregosod
06-25-08, 05:14 PM
10 year old chassis and engines, that's indy with retro boost :tony:

dando
06-25-08, 05:55 PM
I'd really like to hear about all the technology transfer they're gonna have from a spec series with no technical development....:gomer: :laugh:

As the saying goes, you just can't make this stuff up.

oc

Dude, SAFER barrier comes to a road near you? HANS devices for the kiddies? :gomer:

I'd call these bozos a bunch of boobs, but I don't like offending boobs. :tony:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
06-25-08, 07:00 PM
You know, I'm convinced that they could put a slower car on course than what they have now, but some of you would be more likely to watch it if it had some sort of root to Champ Car, so that you feel better about the chips on your shoulders over some stupid forum wars from the 90s. Get over it.

dando
06-25-08, 07:14 PM
You know, I'm convinced that they could put a slower car on course than what they have now, but some of you would be more likely to watch it if it had some sort of root to Champ Car, so that you feel better about the chips on your shoulders over some stupid forum wars from the 90s. Get over it.

Meh. Unless there is some kind of actual competition b/w mfgs in the future, this stuff is dead to me outside of morbid curiosity. Fact.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-25-08, 07:27 PM
You know, I'm convinced that they could put a slower car on course than what they have now, but some of you would be more likely to watch it if it had some sort of root to Champ Car, so that you feel better about the chips on your shoulders over some stupid forum wars from the 90s. Get over it. Is there a Stupid Post Of The Year (SPOTY) award? :shakehead

Sean Malone
06-25-08, 07:58 PM
I read that they want the new formula locked in by May of '09 so that development can start. So in less than a year we will know what the next abomination may be. If they waited until '11 to announce it, they would have waited too long.

SurfaceUnits
06-26-08, 04:27 PM
the world ends in 2012

STD
06-26-08, 05:10 PM
Why wait. :laugh:

miatanut
06-26-08, 05:40 PM
Somebody please hang a turbo on a Swift-Mazda soon!

:thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
06-26-08, 06:24 PM
and since our Gregorian calendar is off by at least 4 years, it's already 2012 or later:eek:

so I'm not surprised the leeg missed the boat

SurfaceUnits
06-26-08, 06:29 PM
IRL may add new engine look in 2011

IndyCar racing could undergo a major overhaul by 2011. The cars are expected to be redesigned. Multiple engine manufacturers could be back in the game, and even turbochargers may be back on the track. It's all part of an attempt by Indy Racing League officials to remake the look of open-wheel racing, and this week's roundtable discussion with engine manufacturers has prompted Brian Barnhart, the series president of competition, to ponder all kinds of changes - from engine specifications to the sounds cars make.

How far the series has come in four months was evident during Tuesday's roundtable discussion, when nine manufacturers and six engine builders met with IRL officials.

http://74.219.68.10/ibjemg/ibjemails/2008_06_26_IBJDaily_Standard/Articles/16456.htm?1=1&EGEmailID=804&PublicationID=1&PublicationDesc=IBJ%20DAILY&EmailType=Standard

oddlycalm
06-26-08, 07:07 PM

Get back to us when that technology transfer happens...:gomer:

oc

oddlycalm
06-26-08, 07:19 PM
How far the series has come in four months was evident during Tuesday's roundtable discussion, when nine manufacturers and six engine builders met with IRL officials.

http://74.219.68.10/ibjemg/ibjemails/2008_06_26_IBJDaily_Standard/Articles/16456.htm?1=1&EGEmailID=804&PublicationID=1&PublicationDesc=IBJ%20DAILY&EmailType=Standard

"The only con associated with turbochargers is going to be the additional costs from something we're not now running," Barnhart said during a conference call with reporters yesterday. "We need to be careful not to allow the cost in development to get too out of hand. But it's a great power control and, also, something you can't underestimate is the sound. It sounds like a regular muffler."

Every time this moron opens his mouth he reveals what a buffoon he is. I'm surprised he can dress himself and get out the door in the morning. :shakehead

The real questions is what the auto company execs had to say amongst themselves after they left Brainfart's dog and pony show. I'd pay good money to hear those comments.... :D

oc

Gnam
06-26-08, 07:50 PM
The real questions is what the auto company execs had to say amongst themselves after they left Brainfart's dog and pony show. I'd pay good money to hear those comments.... :D

oc
BMW exec to Audi exec:
"You guys should totally sign up.
I'm gonna call Ferrari right now and tell them what a great opportunity this is." :tony:

nrc
06-26-08, 08:54 PM

I have a chip on my shoulder. You either need to live with that or leave because me and my chip aren't going anywhere.

SurfaceUnits
06-26-08, 09:05 PM
did anyone cal the IRl officesa nd voice concern that they were suckumming to some stupid forem wars from the 90s by trying unsuccessfully to recreate the era of CARt street parades? they should just get over it and do what they suck at best.

Sean O'Gorman
06-27-08, 09:10 AM
I have a chip on my shoulder. You either need to live with that or leave because me and my chip aren't going anywhere.

I can live with it if you can.

Michaelhatesfans
06-28-08, 01:04 AM
...but some of you would be more likely to watch it if it had some sort of root to Champ Car, so that you feel better about the chips on your shoulders over some stupid forum wars from the 90s. Get over it.

Wow. You really don't get it.

Forum wars? You think this is about forum wars?

A root to Champ Car might make us watch it? Christ, last year's IRL had more roots to Champ Car than Champ Car did. We didn't watch it.

I'll take up some interest when I see the "Under New Management" sign outside the speedway.

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-08, 08:00 AM
You should really stop taking this so personally. :\

pchall
06-28-08, 09:49 AM
Great stuff on the next chassis from IRL technical adviser!

New IRL car remains in concept stage (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/autoracing/article648399.ece)

Six months is millennia in motorsports, so the car the Indy Racing League has been using since 2003 might as well be a chariot.

"It has some long white whiskers," league technical adviser Les Mactaggart said.

But the old Dallara warhorse must hold on for at least two more years until the IRL and designers hash out the aesthetics and mechanics of a new-age car executives hope to debut in 2011...

Mactaggart called this IndyCar's tenure "probably a world record" and said the IRL ideally would deploy a new model every three years.

Safety improvements, such as side-intrusion panels, have extended its functionality, he said. The addition in 2005 of street and road courses such as the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg to an all-oval schedule has required other modifications in chassis and brakes.

"If you started again from scratch, you'd build a road-course car first and develop that for oval racing," Mactaggart said. "But the car itself is quite adaptable."

:rofl: at the :gomer: and :tony:

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-08, 10:09 AM
Again, they are moving towards giving you what you want, why the hell are you complaining? The IRL could announce a 1,000 hp hybrid that runs on water and weighs 1,200 lbs, and you'd still be upset.

pchall
06-28-08, 10:38 AM
Obviously, you'll never understand. :shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-08, 11:15 AM
Yeah. FTG. F everybody. Racing is dum. I'm just going to sit around and mope and criticize everyone because I know real racing.

Methanolandbrats
06-28-08, 11:23 AM
You should really stop taking this so personally. :\ This highlights your problem. Some of us do take it personally when we have spent a lifetime watching motorsports and multiple morons destroy the series we had a passion for. You on the other hand will watch any *****ox with a motor as a casual hobby rather than developing a real passion for motorsports. That's fine if you enjoy it, but knock off the lectures on "real motorsports", it's really getting annoying.

RHR_Fan
06-28-08, 11:25 AM
peace in racing?,,,

Michaelhatesfans
06-28-08, 01:08 PM
Again, they are moving towards giving you what you want, why the hell are you complaining?

When someone deliberately smashes something that I value, then brings it back 15 years later wadded up in duct tape and dripping with Elmer's glue suggesting that it's some sort of gift, I tend not to feel so grateful.

nrc
06-28-08, 02:02 PM

You should stop telling people what to do. You didn't get it before so let me spell it out to you: this is your last warning.

G.
06-28-08, 02:17 PM
When Tony created hiz vizin', did it affect YOU personally and professionally?

It did me.

Personally and professionally.

And I was just a minor twit.

pchall
06-28-08, 02:34 PM
peace in racing?,,,

There is no peace in racing. When the old ones die, the young ones fight over what is best and worst in the carcass left behind.

Sean O'Gorman
06-29-08, 12:43 AM
This highlights your problem. Some of us do take it personally when we have spent a lifetime watching motorsports and multiple morons destroy the series we had a passion for. You on the other hand will watch any *****ox with a motor as a casual hobby rather than developing a real passion for motorsports. That's fine if you enjoy it, but knock off the lectures on "real motorsports", it's really getting annoying.

You had nothing to do with the split, its not your sport, you're just a fan. Both CART and IRL didn't give a **** about people like us and they never will. Its just not worth the effort to waste time bitching about it.

Michaelhatesfans
06-29-08, 02:57 AM
You had nothing to do with the split, its not your sport, you're just a fan.

Why are you still here?

Methanolandbrats
06-29-08, 08:03 AM
You had nothing to do with the split, its not your sport, you're just a fan. Both CART and IRL didn't give a **** about people like us and they never will. Its just not worth the effort to waste time bitching about it.A good product inspires passion, that is the link between fan and the sport.

Insomniac
06-29-08, 01:59 PM
You had nothing to do with the split, its not your sport, you're just a fan. Both CART and IRL didn't give a **** about people like us and they never will. Its just not worth the effort to waste time bitching about it.

Wouldn't you then say it's really not worth the effort to spend time responding to people who are already wasting their time bitching about it?

Stu
06-30-08, 12:56 PM
Why are you still here?

he probably thought this was a forum to discuss Open Wheel Racing and a thread to talk about the future plans of the IRL. silly mistake.

Michaelhatesfans
06-30-08, 01:09 PM
he probably thought this was a forum to discuss Open Wheel Racing and a thread to talk about the future plans of the IRL. silly mistake.

I was refering to this,

"You should stop telling people what to do. You didn't get it before so let me spell it out to you: this is your last warning."

Which was followed up with this,

"You had nothing to do with the split, its not your sport, you're just a fan. Both CART and IRL didn't give a **** about people like us and they never will. Its just not worth the effort to waste time bitching about it."

I think my question was valid.

I take it I'm off of your Christmas card list?:laugh:

Stu
06-30-08, 01:24 PM
I was refering to this,

"You should stop telling people what to do. You didn't get it before so let me spell it out to you: this is your last warning."

Which was followed up with this,

"You had nothing to do with the split, its not your sport, you're just a fan. Both CART and IRL didn't give a **** about people like us and they never will. Its just not worth the effort to waste time bitching about it."

I think my question was valid.

I take it I'm off of your Christmas card list?:laugh:

oh. so you should only post here if you want to waste time bitching about something that happened ages ago?

nrc
06-30-08, 01:30 PM
oh. so you should only post here if you want to waste time bitching about something that happened ages ago?

No, but it's allowed.