PDA

View Full Version : Worst and best Cover versions

G.
06-24-08, 01:42 PM
which favorite Canadian wins? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7468837.stm)

Celine Dion is responsible for the world's worst cover version, a poll of music experts has decided.
The Canadian star's rendition of the AC/DC track You Shook Me All Night Long was given the dubious honour in the Total Guitar magazine survey.

One of my least favored covers was done by the original artists, Clapton's remake of Layla into a silly country song just sux.

Also, I'm not all that interested in discussing covers, but I really needed an excuse to post this:

(not for uptight bosses) NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU

Johnny Cash's version FTW, BTW.

SteveH
06-24-08, 01:49 PM
Johnny Cash's version FTW, BTW.

Agreed with that, however Kermit's version is a close second. :cool:

Ziggy
06-24-08, 01:56 PM
"Gimmie Shelter" by Detroit featuring Mitch Ryder

High Sided
06-24-08, 02:35 PM
the grateful dead doing "not fade away" by buddy holly

the grateful dead doing any song!!:D

S7sNSduf7Gc

Sean Malone
06-24-08, 02:50 PM
Wow, covers. Where to begin.

The good;

Zep's entire first album? :D

Judas Priest taking the Joan Baez song 'Diamonds and Rust' and making it a metal anthem for a generation.

Joe Cocker making 'With a Little Help From My Friends' his own.

Jimi Hendrix legendary rendition of Dylan's 'All along the watch Tower'.

And for purely selfish reasons, Aimee Mann's version of Three Dog Nights, 'One'.

the Bad;

To many to list. :)

WickerBill
06-24-08, 03:16 PM
I can think of a best and worst for the same song.

Landslide - Fleetwood Mac - good
Landslide - Smashing Pumpkins - good
Landslide - Dixie Chicks - bathtub vomit

Don Quixote
06-24-08, 05:09 PM
Yikes, I wonder why Rush didn't put this on an album? This is the polar opposite of the version posted by Highsided above.

fhrqiPbeTus&amp

datachicane
06-24-08, 05:19 PM
Green Manalishi: Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac = Über-spooky cool.
Green Manalishi: Judas Priest = Lame metal-by-numbers.

Pretty much any cover of Little Wing other than SRV or Widespread Panic deserves a :saywhat:.

Not a fan of Rickie Lee Jones, but her cover of JA's Comin' Back To Me was pretty cool.

extramundane
06-24-08, 05:50 PM
Husker Du's Eight Miles High is both the best and the worst. I've always really liked it, but it's really not very good. Go figure.

WickerBill
06-24-08, 06:29 PM
Guns n Roses "Live and Let Die" was a good cover.

So was Don McLean's cover of Roy Orbison's "Crying".

The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana

Rockin In The Free World - Pearl Jam live with Neil Young

Personally absolutely love this remake:

l3dj0I-tozU

racermike
06-24-08, 07:10 PM
Never woulda thought that an aging Johnny Cash could do a GREAT cover of the Depeche Mode hit "Personal Jesus" (I am partial since I am a huge Depeche Mode fan I guess, but Johnny Cash is right up there in my book of all time artists, and when I found out he did this, I LOVED it)

Depeche Mode took it as one of the best honors they have had in allowing Cash to do his acoustic version of the techno-pop hit.

jQcNiD0Z3MU

TKGAngel
06-24-08, 07:20 PM
Like:
"Fight For Your Honor" covered by A Newfound Glory
"End of the World" covered by Great Big Sea.
"The Kids Are Alright" covered by Dropkick Murphys.
"Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" covered by Chad Kroger and Kid Rock.
"American Girl" covered by the Goo Goo Dolls.
"When the Stars Go Blue" covered by Tim McGraw

Meh
The Ataris cover of "Boys of Summer."

emjaya
06-24-08, 07:51 PM
Never woulda thought that an aging Johnny Cash could do a GREAT cover of the Depeche Mode hit "Personal Jesus" (I am partial since I am a huge Depeche Mode fan I guess, but Johnny Cash is right up there in my book of all time artists, and when I found out he did this, I LOVED it)

Depeche Mode took it as one of the best honors they have had in allowing Cash to do his acoustic version of the techno-pop hit.

Was that on the album of covers Cash put out? One of the tracks on the album was a cover of Nick Cave's The Mercy Seat. I thought it was great. :thumbup:

Worst: Micheal Bolton's Dock of the Bay. :yuck:

Indy
06-24-08, 08:02 PM
Never woulda thought that an aging Johnny Cash could do a GREAT cover of the Depeche Mode hit "Personal Jesus" ...

That is freaking awesome. But then again everything he did was amazing.

JoeBob
06-24-08, 10:47 PM
Yeah. That entire Cash album is awesome. His version of Hurt is haunting.

As for worst:

PQH-W-yBqvg

opinionated ow
06-24-08, 10:50 PM
I love Satisfaction as done by Manfred Mann and also Booker T and the MGs

Sean Malone
06-24-08, 11:21 PM
Yeah. That entire Cash album is awesome. His version of Hurt is haunting.

As for worst:

I don't care good their cars are...they'll always be the Hasselhoff 'thing'. :)

racermike
06-25-08, 12:15 AM
I love Satisfaction as done by Manfred Mann and also Booker T and the MGs

DEVO also did a great cover of "Satisfaction" (if your talking about the Rolling Stones)

n8fORGIhbAc

nrc
06-25-08, 12:25 AM
Pretty much any cover of Little Wing other than SRV ...
Ditto Voodoo Chile. People should really know better.

Good
Talking Heads - Take Me To The River
Cheap Trick - Ain't That a Shame
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Aerosmith - Come Together
Warren Zevon - Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Bad
Natalie Imbruglia - Torn
Many others that I've expunged from my memory

manic mechanic
06-25-08, 01:06 AM
(given with personal bias intact)...

Good stuff:

Wall Of Voodoo: Cash's "Ring of Fire" (circa 1981)

Def Leppard: Badfinger's "No Matter What"

Tesla's redux of Uriah Heep's "Stealin' "

Other notables:

Daltrey's version of "Saturday Night's Alright for Fightin' " gives the song meaning (as if EJ was ever tough enough to live up to the lyrics).

Buffett's version(s) of many tunes (most are best when performed live); I could go on for about an hour, but that's because I'm a Parrothead!! :thumbup:

Southern Cross (CSN)
Lawyers, Guns & Money (Zevon)
Pacing the Cage (John Prine)
She's Got You (Patsy Cline)
Uncle John's Band (the Dead)
Redemption Song (Marley) sung by Nadirah Shakoor
Sunny Afternoon (Kinks)

Oh yeah... And anytime George Michael covers Freddie Mercury.
I may not approve of the man's preferences, but he definitely has the voice and passion to sing the songs to perfection.

JMO, of course.

manic

grungex
06-25-08, 01:09 AM
"Gimmie Shelter" by Detroit featuring Mitch Ryder

"Gimme Shelter" done by Grand Funk Railroad

the grateful dead doing "not fade away" by buddy holly

"Not Fade Away" done by Trout Fishing in America

Jimi Hendrix' "Manic Depression" by Seal and Jeff Beck

Al Green's "Love and Happiness" done by Living Colour

Sean Malone
06-25-08, 01:15 AM
Ditto Voodoo Chile. People should really know better.

Good
Talking Heads - Take Me To The River
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Aerosmith - Come Together
Warren Zevon - Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Bad
Natalie Imbruglia - Torn
Many others that I've expunged from my memory

The Talking Heads 'Take Me To the River' fantastic!! I remember being 12 or so and watching them do that song on SNL. That performance and Bowie being carried out on the SNL stage in giant plastic clown suit is forever burned into my memory. Classic.

grungex
06-25-08, 01:20 AM

Cheap Trick - Day Tripper

opinionated ow
06-25-08, 03:08 AM
The entire Blues Brothers soundtrack....that is awesome. Anything Aretha Franklin, or Booker T and the MG's have covered is tops too!

WickerBill
06-25-08, 08:10 AM
Not enough "worst" in here, so let me add some

Madonna - American Pie (Don McLean): Love McLean, his song didn't deserve this, even if he says he likes it

All of Pat Boone's metal covers

*****cat Dolls - Tainted Love (Gloria Jones, good version by Soft Cell): this isn't "Locomotion". Stop remaking this song. Please.

nrc
06-25-08, 09:46 AM
Bad:
Motley Crue - Smokin' in the Boys' Room

extramundane
06-25-08, 10:20 AM
I actually just this morning heard WASP doing The Who's "The Real Me" :yuck:

I also have a particular distaste for the rash of ironic 80s covers by emo and alternative bands that was so prevalent a couple years back.

Good:
Uncle Tupelo - I Wanna Be Your Dog (Stooges)
Drive By Truckers - Play It All Night Long (Warren Zevon)

Easy
06-25-08, 10:50 AM
I also have a particular distaste for the rash of ironic 80s covers by emo and alternative bands that was so prevalent a couple years back.

That trend became extremely annoying about 35 seconds into the second one I heard.

Enjoyable only for subtext: Sixpence None the Richer, a christian band covering "There She Goes" unaware that the lyrics are likely about heroin.

Anyone for Ram Jam's cover of Leadbelly's "Black Betty"?

extramundane
06-25-08, 11:01 AM
Enjoyable only for subtext: Sixpence None the Richer, a christian band covering "There She Goes" unaware that the lyrics are likely about heroin.

Always makes me think of the cruise line that uses Iggy's "Lust for Life" in its commercials. :rofl:

Anyone for Ram Jam's cover of Leadbelly's "Black Betty"?

Tom Jones did a version that's, um, interesting. 4 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Sean Malone
06-25-08, 11:08 AM
A very good friend of mine got a record deal based solely off of their 'emo' rendition of a Faith Hill song. :yuck:

Sean Malone
06-25-08, 11:23 AM
Here's a really horrible one for me. My favorite 90's bubble gum power pop band, Jellyfish's song 'Joining a Fan Club' done by the Japanese duo Puffy AmiYumi.

It's like a train wreck. It's so bad I've watched it about 10 times in the last few hours. The Japanese have a real talent for making surreal video's. They had to be on drugs. :D There has to be a few metaphors in there but I can't quite place my finger on them .

OB3bbdngYQM

Cam
06-25-08, 11:27 AM
A very good friend of mine got a record deal based solely off of their 'emo' rendition of a Faith Hill song. :yuck:

OK... I have to really feign ignorance here, or it may be blissful sheltering here in the western antipodes as of late, I don't know.
'

WTF is this emo thing? I am up on most everything but... :confused:

Don Quixote
06-25-08, 11:34 AM
William Shatner does some really good covers. :)

Sean Malone
06-25-08, 11:36 AM
OK... I have to really feign ignorance here, or it may be blissful sheltering here in the western antipodes as of late, I don't know.
'

wikipedia - Emo (pronounced /ˈiːmoʊ/) is a style of hardcore punk which describes several variations of music with common roots. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, D.C. music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington, D.C. scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon. (In more recent years, the term "emotive hardcore" entered the lexicon to describe the period.)

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music.

Emo boys cry a lot and wear black mascara. If the emo music has lots of screaming in it like AFI, then it's called 'screamo'.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2069/emocq7.jpg

STD
06-25-08, 11:47 AM
Bad:
Motley Crue - Smokin' in the Boys' Room

That is horrible to begin with. :yuck: The spawn could only be worse.

eiregosod
06-25-08, 12:22 PM
William Shatner does some really good covers. :)

i thought he shat all over them :rofl::rofl:

extramundane
06-25-08, 12:30 PM
Emo boys cry a lot and wear black mascara. If the emo music has lots of screaming in it like AFI, then it's called 'screamo'.

http://www.yourvintage.com/yv/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/a39895ccfd9c11f2338e2a980862ae5f.jpg

opinionated ow
06-25-08, 12:33 PM
'

courtesy of the urban dictionary:

A group of white, mostly middle-class well-off kids who find imperfections in there life and create a ridiculous, depressing melodrama around each one. They often take anti-depressants, even though the majority don't need them. They need to wake up and deal with life like everyone else instead of wallowing in their imaginary quagmire of torment.
Emo conversation!

XxSlavetoAnguishxX: omg my gf just left me
acidburnedsoul: that sux man
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: i blame myself only i'm such an ass *cries*
acidburnedsoul: dude come over to my house and we can cut ourselves together
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: okay *cries*
acidburnedsoul: omg dashboard confessional has a new cd, i preordered it already
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: dude they're my favorite band to self-mutilate to
acidburnedsoul: i prefer to cut myself while watching Napoleon Dynamite on my bigscreen
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: dude that movie is so deep. i cry every time i see it
acidburnedsoul: me too. i hate myself
XxSlavetoAnguishxX: yeah we're such tortured souls, nobody understands how hard life is for us
acidburnedsoul: yeah we got it tough dude. pass the tissues
by JT Nov 16, 2006 email it 36 comments

or

An entire subculture of people (usually angsty teens) with a fake personality. The concept of Emo is actually a vicious cycle that never ends, to the utter failing of humanity, and it goes something like this:

1. Girls say they like "sensitive guys" (lie)
2. Guy finds out, so he listens to faggy emo music and dresses like a dork so chicks will see that he is sensitive and not afraid to express himself (lie). He dyes his hair black, wraps himself in a stupid looking scarf, develops an eating disorder, and rants about how "nobody understands".
3. Now an emo guy, he meets Emo chick and they start dating, talking about how their well-off suburban lifestyles are terrible and depressing (lie)
4. Emo guy is just too much of a *****. His penis is too small, he's too depressed to bathe, and has more mood swings than emo chick, and he doesn't even have a menstrual cycle. Emo chick dumps him, saying "It's not you, it's me." (lie) as she drives off with Wayne, the school jock and captain of the football team.
5. Emo guy goes home and cries, proceeds to write a weak song and strum a single string on his acoustic guitar. Another emo chick sees how he is so in touch with his feelings, and the cycle continues.

This is the sad truth of the emo lifestyle/music, and now that I look at how pathetic it really is, maybe the emos DO have something to cry about!
When she sees how sensitive and emo I have become, she'll definately go out with me!

or

Normally a 15-17 year old teenager. Considers themselves to be much more in touch with their emotions than anyone else; whereas they really just feel sorry for themselves. Most emo's will claim to be depressed, or simply misunderstood. They think they are unique, and fail to realise that they actually look like half the teenage population of south england. You can recognise an emo by looking for these general characteristics:
SKINNY JEANS (both boys and girls) The tighter the better. If an emo can hardly walk because of their jeans, then they've reached optimum emo status.
STRIPEY JUMPERS. Normally black and grey. If you're a boy, this should again be worn as tightly as possible. Breathing comfortably is a luxury you may have to sacrifice.
TATTY CONVERSE. Usually drawn on, as most emo's regard themselves as artists.
BLACK LONG HAIR COVERING ONE SIDE OF YOUR FACE. Vision can be compromsised for style as an emo. Try and make it as greasy as possible.

Finally, emo's MUST look down on everyone else, accuse them of being uncreative, judgemental, and the sole cause of their 'depression'. If you're a hardcore emo you'll cut yourself occasionnally. If you're not, then you at least have to pretend you do.
EMO: I wouldn't expect you uncreative facists to understand my art. It's a statement. I'm all alon in this world, all I have is my poetry and my paintings. I am destined to travel through the misty and cold fog of existence alone and cold. My heart has long ago turned to stone, and now your harsh words simple hit the surface. The depths of my soul can no longer be tarnished by your small minded and stereoptyped views...
ME: CHEER UP EMO KID! :)

G.
06-25-08, 01:03 PM
:D There has to be a few metaphors in there but I can't quite place my finger on them .

Last time I saw a video starring Asian girls, it was, um, different.

But strangely similar.:laugh:

(btw, turn off your sound before clicking that. It hurts. A lot.)

grungex
06-25-08, 03:43 PM
David Lee Roth - the bluegrass version of "Jump". :yuck:

Michaelhatesfans
06-25-08, 04:42 PM
:thumdown:Limp Bizkit doing "Behind Blue Eyes." I'd rather play soggy biscuit than listen to that pile of ****.

:thumbup:The remix (and I normally loathe remixes) of "Let My Love Open the Door" for the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack.

TedN
06-28-08, 01:18 PM
Good

Rapture Riders - Deborah Harry and Jim Morrison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M3_cJBCNTM)

More of a remix than a cover.

Bad

Rolf Harris - Stairway To Heaven (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5KjaAS7nY)

Ted

opinionated ow
06-28-08, 09:53 PM
Bad

Rolf Harris - Stairway To Heaven (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5KjaAS7nY)

Ted

Ah...from Andrew Denton's Money or the Gun show. Just about anybody who is anybody in Australian cover bands had a crack at it for the show....
* Kate Cebrano
* John Paul Young, in the style of Love is in the Air
* Pardon Me Boys, in a swing style (with numerous references to Glenn Miller songs))
* The Beatnix, a Beatles tribute band, in the style of I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You and Twist and Shout.
* Nick Barker and the Reptiles, in a heavy blues style
* Rolf Harris, in the style of Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport
* The Australian Doors Show, in the style of The Doors
* Sandra Hahn, Michael Turkic and the Australian Opera chrous, in the style of an epic Wagner opera
* Robyne Dunn
* Elvis impersonator Neil Pepper, in the style of Viva Las Vegas
* Whipper Snappers, in an indie rock girl group style
* Bob Downe, in the style of a lounge singer
* The Castanet Club, as a sea shanty
* The Symphony Chorus of the Sydney Philharmonia Choirs, as an a cappella chorus
* Judi Connelli, as a gospel song
* Fargone Beauties, as a country thrash
* Vegemite Reggae, as a modern reggae
* Etcetera Theatre Company, as a techno dance
* Leonard Teale, as a dramatic poem
* Rock Lobsters, a B-52s tribute band, in the style of Rock Lobster
* Jodie Gilles, in the style of a Broadway musical (with numerous references to One from A Chorus Line)

G.
06-28-08, 10:38 PM
Ah...from Andrew Denton's Money or the Gun show. Just about anybody who is anybody in Australian cover bands had a crack at it for the show....

No Baby Animals??

(luv that band)

emjaya
06-29-08, 01:57 AM
* Kate Cebrano
* John Paul Young, in the style of Love is in the Air
* Pardon Me Boys, in a swing style (with numerous references to Glenn Miller songs))
* The Beatnix, a Beatles tribute band, in the style of I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You and Twist and Shout.
* Nick Barker and the Reptiles, in a heavy blues style
* Rolf Harris, in the style of Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport
* The Australian Doors Show, in the style of The Doors
* Sandra Hahn, Michael Turkic and the Australian Opera chrous, in the style of an epic Wagner opera
* Robyne Dunn
* Elvis impersonator Neil Pepper, in the style of Viva Las Vegas
* Whipper Snappers, in an indie rock girl group style
* Bob Downe, in the style of a lounge singer
* The Castanet Club, as a sea shanty
* The Symphony Chorus of the Sydney Philharmonia Choirs, as an a cappella chorus
* Judi Connelli, as a gospel song
* Fargone Beauties, as a country thrash
* Vegemite Reggae, as a modern reggae
* Etcetera Theatre Company, as a techno dance
* Leonard Teale, as a dramatic poem
* Rock Lobsters, a B-52s tribute band, in the style of Rock Lobster
* Jodie Gilles, in the style of a Broadway musical (with numerous references to One from A Chorus Line)

Some were not that bad, as far as I can recall, some were quite good. :gomer:

Rolf Harris's, however, was bad. :yuck:

Mr. Vengeance
06-29-08, 12:29 PM
The Ramones cover of Tom Waits' "I Don't Want To Grow Up" :thumbup:

Scarlett Johansson's cover of the same (well, let's face it: the whole album's a disgrace): :thumdown: :yuck: :thumdown:

chop456
08-27-19, 03:18 AM
Best: Stevie Wonder doing "We Can Work it Out".

:threadexhumation:

WickerBill
08-27-19, 11:37 AM
Heresy, I know, but Oasis' cover of "Hey Hey My My" from their Familiar to Millions live recording is... really good.

gjc2
08-27-19, 06:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoIB7uwDs80

TravelGal
08-27-19, 09:29 PM
:threadexhumation:

:laugh: But it really made me sad to see Cam's name again. Miss the dude.

Elmo T
08-28-19, 10:07 AM
So Pandora has a Coffee House Covers channel which has some of the best and worst covers I've ever heard.

A few random selections - mostly mellow stuff with exception of 99 Problems - you can decide for yourselves :rofl: YMMV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxcVabGx484

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwj2-Uz_0n8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8DAP_zl9Cw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnudbCnccs

SteveH
08-28-19, 12:20 PM
This thread has caused me to think of a CD by various artists who covered Grateful Dead songs. It was released in1991 to benefit preservation of the rainforest. :(

I recall it being pretty good but it has been ages since I've listened to it. I need to pull it out and see if my memories are correct.

1. Bertha - Los Lobos
2. Jack Straw - Bruce Hornsby And The Range
3. U.S. Blues - The Harshed Mellows
4. Ship Of Fools - Elvis Costello
5. China Doll - Suzanne Vega
6. Cassidy - Suzanne Vega
7. Truckin' - Dwight Yoakam
8. Casey Jones - Warren Zevon with David Lindley
9. Uncle John's Band - Indigo Girls
10. Friend Of The Devil - Lyle Lovett
11. To Lay Me Down - Cowboy Junkies
12. Wharf Rat - Midnight Oil
13. Estimated Prophet - Burning Spear
14. Deal - Dr. John
15. Ripple - Jane's Addiction

AxaEo_zLsVA

TRDfan
08-28-19, 09:25 PM
Oh so many....

Latest one that has me revisiting over and over...
Not sure if this is good good, or bad good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W1Jm2jF8MI

chop456
08-29-19, 12:38 AM
This thread has caused me to think of a CD by various artists who covered Grateful Dead songs. It was released in1991 to benefit preservation of the rainforest. :(

I recall it being pretty good but it has been ages since I've listened to it. I need to pull it out and see if my memories are correct.

It's fantastic. Bought it when it came out. There are a couple of all-reggae cover albums of Dead songs that pretty good. THIS (https://www.amazon.com/Persuasions-Dead-Grateful-Sessions-Cds/dp/B005FYCHES/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=persuasions+dead&qid=1567053353&s=gateway&sr=8-1) is pretty great as well.

gjc2
08-29-19, 07:11 AM
These guys do several Beach Boys covers; really great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g08RKhI0e5c&list=RD4sDcuw_YMz0&index=2

TedN
08-29-19, 06:44 PM
I really enjoy the Chicago covers by these folks ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_torOTK5qc

Ted

gjc2
08-30-19, 06:29 AM
Oh so many....

Love it!

WickerBill
08-30-19, 12:47 PM
Then there's always Pomplamoose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7evu7SJBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meT2eqgDjiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkbnUi1KRQY

gjc2
08-30-19, 07:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcywnNixrQw

SteveH
08-30-19, 10:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcywnNixrQw

Excellent :thumbup:

nrc
08-31-19, 03:31 AM
Most of my favorite covers are artists I like covering artists that I respect but who aren't among my favorite performers. So these may be other people's worst covers if they like the original artist.

I love the poetry of Tom Waits music but his presentation is.... and acquired taste. So I love John Hammond's album of Tom Waits songs called "Wicked Grin". Hammond smooths off just enough of the rough edges without polishing them too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gY2PhP5unY

Same story with Bob Dylan. Wonderful song writer but I never cared much for his performance of them. Here Joan Osborne fills the bill.

https://youtu.be/jSN5QaVIxKs

I actually like the Rolling Stones but The Sundays' cover of Wild Horses is achingly beautiful.

https://youtu.be/wscB1ckO_Ew

At the other end of the Stones cover spectrum is Paint It Blue, a compilation of Stones covers by great blues artists including final performances from Luther Allison and Johnny Copeland. I particularly love how Junior Wells turns the Satisfaction groove upside down.

https://youtu.be/H9NijFed0dI

I could go on but that's a good start.

For bad covers - most covers of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah are terrible.

gjc2
08-31-19, 08:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3oZkTPv550

SteveH
08-31-19, 10:45 AM
Bizarre mashup but it works

https://youtu.be/pD_FlBpTeiw

pD_FlBpTeiw

gjc2
08-31-19, 03:58 PM
Bizarre mashup but it works

https://youtu.be/pD_FlBpTeiw

pD_FlBpTeiw

I love this. I am really enjoying this thread . . . . . .

swift
09-02-19, 06:04 PM
Good:
Original by Black Sabbath (music starts @ 55 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaOf70M4xs?t=55

Original by The Pretenders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hInzyYN3o

Original by Olivia Newton-John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkp-rtW-vp8

Bad:

Weezer recently foisted upon us a slab of 80' covers, "The Teal Album". :rolleyes:

---
Over the last 2-3 years there's been a rash of unnecessary covers by hard rock acts; Re-heating classic rock staples or edgy takes of current pop songs. Disturbed and Five Finger Death Punch are serial offenders in this category. Disturbed's version of (Simon & Garfunkel's) "Sound of Silence" is as bad as it gets.

WickerBill
09-03-19, 07:02 AM
Ehh, I didn't mind the Sound of Silence cover too much. But I will give you the Weezer point. They say they did it because their fans always asked them to play the stuff at shows.

Just because some drunk person yells "Freebird!" at your show doesn't mean you need to record it

indyfan31
09-03-19, 10:08 AM
Over the last 2-3 years there's been a rash of unnecessary covers by hard rock acts; Re-heating classic rock staples or edgy takes of current pop songs. Disturbed and Five Finger Death Punch are serial offenders in this category. Disturbed's version of (Simon & Garfunkel's) "Sound of Silence" is as bad as it gets.

That said, this seems to work . . . for me anyway. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHWFMuFwnBA

chop456
09-03-19, 10:42 PM
^ I've always liked that one, too.

And I'd listen to Juliana Hatfield sing the phone book. Or Tanya Donnelly. Or Liz Phair.

SteveH
09-04-19, 07:37 AM
35 Famous Records You Probably Didn’t Realize Were Covers
(https://ultimateclassicrock.com/records-that-are-covers/)

TravelGal
09-04-19, 04:21 PM
35 Famous Records You Probably Didn?t Realize Were Covers
(https://ultimateclassicrock.com/records-that-are-covers/)
:eek::eek: Loved reading the whole list. I probably knew 5 or 6 of them. Just to see any mention at all of "Argent...." Sent me straight to YouTube to listen again to their Hold Your Head Up.

datachicane
09-05-19, 03:05 AM
:eek::eek: Loved reading the whole list. I probably knew 5 or 6 of them. Just to see any mention at all of "Argent...." Sent me straight to YouTube to listen again to their Hold Your Head Up.

Better yet, She's not There, from his previous band. Surprised no Peter Green made the list...

Al Czervik
09-05-19, 11:38 AM
Surprised these folks haven't made this thread yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1y_PHS0x4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ30q3oZXEg

opinionated ow
09-05-19, 05:25 PM
This thread needs some Brother Joscephus & The Love Revolution Orchestra:

c2nHzmVSKHE

UPoNwpRxuhI

u8D9xfbYTDU

nrc
09-05-19, 07:51 PM
Your post inspired me to look at whether I could make the old youtube BB Code work again. I forgot how simple it was so apologies everyone for not doing that before to fix all the old posts with videos.

So now the "youtube" BB Code works for just the parameter or the "video" BB Code works for the whole link.

Testing with a few more favorites.

Joan Jett does "Now I Wanna Be Your Dog." Oh Lordy.

1lRL0Sv8Yfo

"Sweet Relief II, Gravity of the Situation" was a benefit for Vic Chestnutt. Brilliant writer, tragic story. Some great artists covered his songs for the album. A couple of my favorites from that:

Soul Asylum doing "When I Ran Off and Left Her"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etc3_yAX_jM

Hootie and the Blowfish with Nanci Griffith doing "Gravity of the Situation"

https://youtu.be/dVX4h1iVKK4

chop456
09-05-19, 10:45 PM
Testing with a few more favorites.

Joan Jett does "Now I Wanna Be Your Dog." Oh Lordy.

1lRL0Sv8Yfo

That's great. I wonder how many people at that show know that song. :)

Speaking of great Joan Jett covers - "Crimson and Clover"

G.
09-14-19, 03:47 PM
Oh so many....

I like this cover (of some song that I don't know) for much the same reasons as the Spirit cover. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec729nmajwc

Plus, hurdy gurdy!

(It's not the same "Over the Hills and Far Away".)

SteveH
09-15-19, 10:33 PM
A cover of his cover since Dave played acoustic guitar on Jimi’s version. A very underrated musician.

erHGEagAk_g

TravelGal
09-16-19, 07:06 PM
Better yet, She's not There, from his previous band. Surprised no Peter Green made the list...

:thumbup: Listened to 3 or 4 versions of it on YouTube. In the original.

TRDfan
09-16-19, 09:45 PM
I like this cover (of some song that I don't know) for much the same reasons as the Spirit cover. :)

Ha!

May have to start another thread for that....

chop456
09-16-19, 10:19 PM
A cover of his cover since Dave played acoustic guitar on Jimi’s version. A very underrated musician.

Saw him sit in at Buddy Guy's place one night, unannounced. Just dumb luck. IIRC, he was wearing a Blackhawks jersey. :laugh:

SteveH
09-17-19, 07:57 AM
I saw him open for Poco at the now non-existent Star Plaza In Merrillville :(

SteveH
09-20-19, 09:46 AM
This isn't exactly in keeping with the theme of this thread, but close.

Here is the first known recording of what has become to be known as The Sloop John B, popularized by The Beach Boys. It has been covered by many artists over the years including The Kingston Trio and even Johnny Cash. Carl Sandburg included it in "The American Songbag"

https://secondhandsongs.com/work/19789/all As the url suggests, this website is devoted to covers

LwcGyvhuMQg

SteveH
09-20-19, 09:55 AM
The Four Tops cover The Moody Blues

EDID-1NYAjg

the original

BhZKkh9OkVc