PDA

View Full Version : What we do.

mapguy
01-10-03, 06:12 PM
OK-

Just thought I'd start a thread here to find out what all of us do for a living. I'll start.

I am a software engineer specializing in GIS (Geographical Information Systems) technology. I have also created a few wireless apps for the company that just laid me off (Sprint PCS). I am also an aspiring photographer.

I also moonlight as Peter North's body double....

Napoleon
01-10-03, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
I also moonlight as Peter North's body double....

For those shots from the neck up.

RacinM3
01-10-03, 06:42 PM
I own a little commercial construction company specializing in various specialties; big walls that move, conference room, computer rooms, lockers and about a million other things.....my website is in my profile.

Then I take all that (little bit of) money and blow it on racing.

401K? What's that? Retirement? Huh?

Like Roger Daltrey sang: "hope I die before I get old"

devilmaster
01-10-03, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
For those shots from the neck up.

Double entendre? ;)

Steve

RichK
01-10-03, 06:59 PM
I'm a mechanical engineer. Right now I'm designing medical devices for a larger company, but I tend to enjoy startup companies & new technologies.

Like RacinM3, I blow a ton o' dough on racing, otherwise I'd be just as happy working at a bike shop in Durango or a surf shop on Maui.

mapguy
01-10-03, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
Double entendre? ;)

ba da bing.

cart7
01-10-03, 07:50 PM
I'm currently a Supervisor/Technician working for Best Buy, running the dept. repairing 30" and smaller TV's and TV/VCR and TV/DVD. I've been in college the last couple years working to get out of the field and get into Front end development for RDBMS. MS ACCESS, SQL Server and Visual Basic. I'll have a networking degree when I get out but I'm not really interested in that seeing's how the field is pretty saturated and all.

RaceGrrl
01-10-03, 07:53 PM
I get paid to manage the billing and accounts receivables of a small internal medicine practice.

My non-paying job is teaching bellydance and helping the studio owner run her business. (I get my lessons free in exchange for the assistance) I also sell dance costumes on the side to support my own costume habit.

Napoleon
01-10-03, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
ba da bing.

You give me way too much credit for creativity.

mello
01-10-03, 08:22 PM
I purchase windows and doors. Ok yes boring but we do MI homes, Centex homes, Dominion homes, and Duffy Homes. Along with private homeowners. Like Bobby Rahal. Really is a great job. I would rather be a professional tourist though.

mnkywrch
01-10-03, 10:33 PM
At work, I sit in front of a PC and write web apps.

At home, I sit in front of a PC and write web apps.

And people have the gall to say I'm one-dimensional. :D

TrueBrit
01-10-03, 10:39 PM
I manage the brokerage services division of a Mid-West investment banking firm.

devilmaster
01-10-03, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
You give me way too much credit for creativity.

well, duh! :D

Steve

Lizzerd
01-10-03, 11:14 PM
I'm a self-unemployed Electronics Engineer and Embedded Systems Programmer (BSEE by degree). With a partner, I owned a small contract engineering company for ten years, had a maximum of five others working for us, until we went our separate ways in October '00 when contract business started to dry up. Have been trying to make it on my own, and get small jobs from time to time, but I'm actively looking for a full time "regular" job.

Note to anybody with a professional occupation who wants to have a go at it on your own: do it, and good luck, but prepare yourself for a lot of frustration if you attempt to re-enter the job market. The former employer "self", or former position "contractor" is a carreer killer. Some companies won't give you a second look, because you will be perceived to be too independent minded and not a good team player. It's entirely wrong, but I don't know how many times I've been told that.

Classic Apex
01-11-03, 01:31 AM
Brian Ericson is only my trade name, or "screen name."

My name is actually Fred Garvin, male prostitute. Serving the greater Quad City areas of Moline, Rock Island, Bettendorf and Davenport.

:rofl:

(ok, seriously, before some of you get your panites in a bunch, that was just an SNL skit)

In reality, I work for a Fortune 25 company, which has the absolute corner on the automated medication dispensing industry. I do it all. Installation, trainer, consultant, road warrior, I pretty much do everything.

Kiwifan
01-11-03, 04:43 AM
Jeez, I'm only a grocer and Shell Service Station owner. :) At least I know where to come to ask 'puter questions. ;)

Rusty.

cart7
01-11-03, 06:17 AM
originally posted by Kiwifan

At least I know where to come to ask 'puter questions.

The help desk is always open! Just $1.99 for the first minute and $2.99 after that!! :D

Cam
01-11-03, 09:43 AM
JOAT here. I do it all. I work for a land development company. We do large residential/commercial and golf course communities. I work on he Engineering side. Plus I also manage all the computer systems.

Which hat shall I put on today? :saywhat:

Cam

JoeBob
01-11-03, 10:18 AM
Count another web programmer/evangelist here.

RTKar
01-11-03, 11:53 AM
Well, they call me an Environmental Chemist Monday through Friday. I prefer to consider myself a walleye fisherman-racefan-pheasant/grouse hunter-photographer....I certainly don't live to work.... If the economy would only cooperate I could at least dream of early retirement and get on with the truly important stuff.

Warlock!
01-11-03, 03:32 PM
I (along with my sis and bro-in-law) run a family-owned construction company. Dad built it from nuthin', mainly building homes and small-scale commercial buildings in 1950. I worked in the field as a general laborer since I was 15, moved into a jobsite superintendant position when I was about 24, and moved into the office about 4 years ago. Dad has slowly turned the reigns over to sis and I over the last 15-20 years, and we've turned it into mainly commercial-oriented construction. We build schools, office buildings, churches... and large-scale residential homes (we only do residential anymore if it's big $$$... nuthin worse than dealing with some wife that thinks it's "no big deal" to move a bearing wall 6" ;) ).

I also do all our design work when we don't deal with an architect, along with some of the purchasing, estimating, and scheduling. I also hold up the myth that all construction workers drink heavily. ;)

Winter Warlock!

MAXAR RE
01-12-03, 03:18 AM
I do phone-monkey PC & software support for a company that other companies out-source their helpdesk operations to. Nothing like answering the phone as 4 different companies depending on the number the end-user dials. :gomer: I also develop internal websites for my company, am a technical writer for the helpdesk, and QC our internal knowledge base.

JT265
01-16-03, 05:06 PM
I deal a little crack, pimp some lovin', bust kneecaps, kinda a Tony Soprano sorta deal. :p

Dr. Corkski
01-16-03, 06:20 PM
whitsle blower

chop456
01-16-03, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
whitsle blower

As Robert Cray said; "My suspicion's been confirmed".

Welcome aboard. :D

As far as what I do, I babysit very large computers for a large financial entity in Chicago. I could tell you, but then I'd have to bore you. ;)

Turn7
01-16-03, 06:56 PM
invent

rocket
01-16-03, 06:58 PM
I work in the pre-press industry, 2nd largest printer in the world. Many of the sunday flyers that you see for department and specialty stores, as well as the catalogs, I have worked on. Generally what I do is take digital images, fix 'em up to make them look pretty, and then build the page on the computer system. When the customer is happy, it's off to the presses. Been doing this for 11 years now, and I can honestly say I am happy with my job.:D

Eagle104
01-16-03, 08:33 PM
Vast wasteland enabler.

Racewriter
01-16-03, 09:43 PM
Day job: Sales manager for a nationwide freight recovery/salvage company.

Nights & weekends: Motorsports journalist, focusing on oval racing.

MAXAR RE
01-16-03, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
invent :rofl: ;)

Sean O'Gorman
01-16-03, 11:16 PM
I drive cars. More specifically, rental cars, doing the same 6 mile round trip over and over again for up to 8 hrs on most days. And then sometimes I get to valet park cars. It has its highs (snow driving!!) but it also has its lows. But most importantly it pays for college (marketing) so that I can become the future CEO of CART. :D

rabbit
01-17-03, 12:36 AM
To pay the bills now... I am a sportswriter for a smaller-midsize newspaper in NW Ohio, (ave daily circ over 37,000). I do all the auto racing, covering races at Indy, MIS and Mid-Ohio. I also cover the local dirt track, Limaland Motorsports Park.

To pay the bills in five years... I am attending pchall's former employer, majoring in history with an emphasis on pre-law. I have two years of undergrad left, then three years of law school. I want to go into immigration law and help simplify the naturalization process for families who wish to be a part of The Greatest Country on Earth.

For kicks... I run a pair of websites. One I do for fun, www.raceweather.homestead.com (currently remodeling, excuse the dust), the other I run for Marc Breuers, www.marcbreuers.com, who is working to put together a deal for Atlantics this ear.

cart7
01-17-03, 06:15 AM
originally posted by rocket

Generally what I do is take digital images, fix 'em up to make them look pretty, and then build the page on the computer system.

You mean all those Wal-Mart ads featuring their employee's as models have been air-brushed ala Playboy. The horror!!:eek: :D

Napoleon
01-17-03, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
whitsle blower

Did I run into you on the Stepps of Russia, only to forget to kick your butt?

Anal Ventor
01-17-03, 10:02 AM
I'll double warlock's occupation, i am a self employed contractor and will confirm that construction workers definatly have a tendency to drink alot

fourrunner
01-17-03, 07:43 PM
I Own & Operate with my Business Partner, a Custom Furniture & Cabinet Shop called "GOODS from the WOODS". We have been in business for 27 years.

We specialize in Custom Wall Units / Entertainment Centers, Custom Kitchens, and Other Room Furniture, for the Medium to High End Market.

I still spend time in the shop,when needed, but in the Last two years,
I have been concentrating on the Designing and Customer end of the business.

It's a great business, and the BIGGER Televisions, and Stereo Systems get, the more the Wives want them hidden from view. :)

WickerBill
01-17-03, 08:00 PM
four, that rocks... do you install in Central Indiana? ;)

WB

Dave99
01-17-03, 09:39 PM
Rocket... mac operator for QUEBECOR WORLD? ;)

rocket
01-18-03, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Dave99
Rocket... mac operator for QUEBECOR WORLD? ;)

Nope... RRDonnelley, we lost the world's largest printer moniker to Quebecor a few years back I think. Although, last time I looked at the stats, there wasn't much of a difference between the two, both of them are giant companies.

devilmaster
01-18-03, 08:30 AM
Well, since I didn't mention it before....

My fulltime gig is being an autoworker at the Daimler-Chrysler minivan plant.

My parttime gig is being a local politician as I'm a trustee for my local public school board.

Steve