PDA

View Full Version : Frankenmosquitoes

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 01:03 PM
I'm betting this will backfire....:saywhat:

Genetically modified mosquitoes may combat malaria
By MARIA CHENG

LONDON (AP) - In a cramped, humid laboratory in London, mosquitoes swarming in stacked, net-covered cages are being scrutinized for keys to controlling malaria.

Scientists have genetically modified hundreds of them, hoping to stop them from spreading the killer disease.

Faced with a losing battle against malaria, scientists are increasingly exploring new avenues that might have seemed far-fetched just a few years ago.

``We don't have things we can rely on,'' said Andrea Crisanti, the malaria expert in charge of genetically modifying mosquitoes at London's Imperial College. ``It's time to try something else.''

Malaria kills nearly three million people worldwide every year, mostly in sub-Saharan Africa. Millions of bed nets have been handed out, and villages across the continent have been doused with insecticide. But those measures haven't put a significant dent in malaria cases.

After a string of failed initiatives, the United Nations recently announced a campaign to provide bed nets to anyone who needs them by 2010.

Some scientists think creating mutant mosquitoes resistant to the disease might work better.

``We still have a malaria burden that is increasing,'' said Yeya Toure, a tropical disease expert at the World Health Organization.

``Under such circumstances, we have to investigate whether genetically modified mosquitoes could make a difference,'' said Toure, who is not involved in the Imperial College research.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has found the work so promising it has invested nearly $38 million into genetic strategies to stop mosquitoes from transmitting diseases like malaria and dengue fever.

``This is one of those high-tech, high risk innovations that would fundamentally change the struggle between humans and mosquitoes,'' said Dr. Regina Rabinovich, director of infectious diseases development at the Gates Foundation.

Mosquitoes bred to be immune to malaria could break the disease's transmission cycle. ``That is the nirvana of malaria control,'' said Rabinovich. ``It would potentially transform what the field looks like.''

In 2005, Crisanti proved it was possible to create a genetically modified mosquito by inserting a gene that glowed fluorescent green in males.

Among other possibilities, he and his team are now planning to create sterile male mosquitoes to mate with wild female mosquitoes, thus stunting population growth. They are also trying to engineer a malaria-resistant mosquito.

Last year, American researchers created mosquitoes resistant to a type of malaria that infects mice. Others are altering the DNA of the mosquitoes that spread dengue.

But not everyone thinks these super mosquitoes are such a good idea. Some scientists think there are too many genetic puzzles to be solved for modified mosquitoes to work.

The malaria-causing parasite, which mosquitoes then transmit to humans, is simply too good at evading anything scientists might devise to protect the mosquito, argued to Jo Lines, a malaria expert at London's School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

``It's a series of arms races that the parasite has consistently won,'' Lines said. Whenever mosquitoes have developed genes resistant to the malaria-causing parasite, the parasite has always found a way around it, Lines said.

Quantity might also be a problem. ``You are going to need to produce billions of these mosquitoes if this is ever going to work,'' Lines said.

Some environmentalists worried that genetically modified mosquitoes might wreak havoc in the ecosystem.

``Can't we just give mosquito nets to people instead of looking at these really complex technological fixes that mess with the very delicate balance of nature and evolutionary history?'' asked Gillian Madill, a genetic technologies campaigner at Friends of the Earth in Washington.

Rabinovich said rigorous testing would be done before releasing any genetically modified mosquitoes into the wild.

``It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature,'' she said. ``But if you can come up with another way of tackling (malaria), this is not something that one walks away from without fully evaluating it.''

Over the next year, Crisanti hopes to finalize plans for a test release of genetically modified mosquitoes in southern Italy. There, millions of the insects will be set loose in large cages to determine things like how they might interact with wild mosquitoes and how many would be needed to knock out malaria.

Crisanti acknowledged there might be unintended consequences of releasing genetically modified mosquitoes into the wild, although he could not predict what they might be.

The scientist said it was a risk worth taking.

``I think there is a moral good to doing it,'' he said. ``If we do this right, the mosquitoes will get rid of malaria for us.''

06/19/08 10:02 © Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Indy
06-19-08, 01:12 PM
This is all practice for the day that humans are "modified" to improve the race. Naziism should have been taken as a warning, but since we "beat" them, we can now do anything we want. Our grandkid's future is going to be an interesting one.

dando
06-19-08, 01:51 PM
The state bird of Wisconsin. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

TrueBrit
06-19-08, 02:20 PM
Ok, I may just be showing my ignorance here but why not just find a vaccine and innoculate everyone in the affected areas?

Wouldn't if be cheaper in the long run than mucking about with genetic mutations?

Sean Malone
06-19-08, 02:23 PM
Ok, I may just be showing my ignorance here but why not just find a vaccine and innoculate everyone in the affected areas?

Wouldn't if be cheaper in the long run than mucking about with genetic mutations?

But not as fun. :)

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 02:28 PM
The state bird of Wisconsin. :saywhat: :irked:

-KevinNot this year, they all drowned :D No ****, the woods I run in has almost no mosquitoes or biting flies. Usually this time of year you have to pee while moving because stopping is not an option. I think the very heavy rains knocked them all down to the ground and killed them. Of course they will be back now that it's been sunny for a few days.

cameraman
06-19-08, 02:29 PM
So the current state of things is the malaria parasite does not harm the mosquito to the point that it can't successfully breed. So immunity will provide little or no selective advantage to the mosquito so how are they going to maintain this immunity trait in a wild population that numbers in the high billions and lives on most continents? Whatever they engineer into the mosquito would have to be a dominant trait that imparts a huge selective advantage on the mosquito in order to outbreed the wildtype mosquitoes. I can't imagine what that would be. Combine that with Plasmodium falciparum's incredible ability to rapidly evolve in the face of man-made threats I can't imagine how they expect this to work.

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 02:37 PM
So the current state of things is the malaria parasite does not harm the mosquito to the point that it can't successfully breed. So immunity will provide little or no selective advantage to the mosquito so how are they going to maintain this immunity trait in a wild population that numbers in the high billions and lives on most continents? Whatever they engineer into the mosquito would have to be a dominant trait that imparts a huge selective advantage on the mosquito in order to outbreed the wildtype mosquitoes. I can't imagine what that would be. Combine that with Plasmodium falciparum's incredible ability to rapidly evolve in the face of man-made threats I can't imagine how they expect this to work. It will work about as well as introducing non-native plants and animals to control native pests. Nearly all those brilliant ideas had unintended negative consequences................doing the same thing with genetic engineering and turning the experiments loose in the wild is terrifying.

Tim
06-19-08, 02:38 PM
Not this year, they all drowned :D No ****, the woods I run in has almost no mosquitoes or biting flies. Usually this time of year you have to pee while moving because stopping is not an option. I think the very heavy rains knocked them all down to the ground and killed them. Of course they will be back now that it's been sunny for a few days.

I noticed the same thing. I got swarmed on memorial day but while out by the river yesterday I didn't get bit once.

TravelGal
06-19-08, 05:31 PM
It will work about as well as introducing non-native plants and animals to control native pests. Nearly all those brilliant ideas had unintended negative consequences................doing the same thing with genetic engineering and turning the experiments loose in the wild is terrifying.

You're not kidding. The cane toads (introduced to protect the sugar cane harvest) have overrun much of Australia. The Northern Territory is making a pitched battle to keep them out. THEY are poisonous so it's good luck to your fish, crocodiles, snakes, goannas, quolls, egrets, and native frogs.

Can we say "killer bees"?

Don Quixote
06-19-08, 05:43 PM
Chuck Norris could roundhouse kick every mosquito in the world in less than a day. The government asked him not to because we don't need another endangered species.

Indy
06-19-08, 06:47 PM
So the current state of things is the malaria parasite does not harm the mosquito to the point that it can't successfully breed. So immunity will provide little or no selective advantage to the mosquito so how are they going to maintain this immunity trait in a wild population that numbers in the high billions and lives on most continents? Whatever they engineer into the mosquito would have to be a dominant trait that imparts a huge selective advantage on the mosquito in order to outbreed the wildtype mosquitoes. I can't imagine what that would be. Combine that with Plasmodium falciparum's incredible ability to rapidly evolve in the face of man-made threats I can't imagine how they expect this to work.

:smartforum:

dando
06-19-08, 07:00 PM
:smartforum:

Nah, we've got SOG to balance that out. :gomer: ;)

j/k

-Kevin

emjaya
06-19-08, 07:34 PM
You're not kidding. The cane toads (introduced to protect the sugar cane harvest) have overrun much of Australia. The Northern Territory is making a pitched battle to keep them out. THEY are poisonous so it's good luck to your fish, crocodiles, snakes, goannas, quolls, egrets, and native frogs.

Can we say "killer bees"?

http://pixpipeline.com/s/ba056a8d5ee5.jpg

Wot, no love for the cane toad. :gomer:

Damn things are poison from the egg stage up, plus they are big enough (as you can see) to eat any small marsupials they come across. I have not seen a green frog around my place for years. :(

Crisanti acknowledged there might be unintended consequences of releasing genetically modified mosquitoes into the wild, although he could not predict what they might be.

The scientist said it was a risk worth taking.

``I think there is a moral good to doing it,'' he said. ``If we do this right, the mosquitoes will get rid of malaria for us.''

This guy needs a cane toad shoved somewhere. A "risk worth taking", my eye.:flame:

cameraman
06-19-08, 07:57 PM
Over the next year, Crisanti hopes to finalize plans for a test release of genetically modified mosquitoes in southern Italy. There, millions of the insects will be set loose in large cages to determine things like how they might interact with wild mosquitoes and how many would be needed to knock out malaria.

Just guessing here but I'd be willing to wager that he does not have permission from the Italian government to do any such experiment and given their prior regulatory actions he doesn't have a hope in hell of getting them to sign off on anything even remotely like that.

TravelGal
06-19-08, 08:07 PM
Just guessing here but I'd be willing to wager that he does not have permission from the Italian government to do any such experiment and given their prior regulatory actions he doesn't have a hope in hell of getting them to sign off on anything even remotely like that.

And here I thought you were going to say that none of the above would stop him. Maybe I've seen too many movies like the Bourne series?

devilmaster
06-19-08, 11:39 PM
http://www.chinotto.com/spuma/images/latt_brio.jpg

There's my protection.... they make the stuff with quinine in it. And I haven't gotten malaria yet! :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 11:43 PM
http://www.chinotto.com/spuma/images/latt_brio.jpg

There's my protection.... they make the stuff with quinine in it. And I haven't gotten malaria yet! :gomer:
:laugh: I've spent a lot of time in Ontario hiking, fishing and running....most of you Ontarionions run about 5% ba and malaria could'nt survive in your bodies. ;)