PDA

View Full Version : I Want a New Motorcycle (blog) Bloviation Warning!

Sean Malone
06-18-08, 11:42 PM
For the past few months I’ve been getting that weird feeling that I assume everyone gets from time to time. It’s in my gut and starts out as butterflies and then progresses into sweaty palms. Well, ok, maybe not butterflies and sweaty palms but there is definitely something that stirs inside when I start itching for a new toy.

My current bike is an ’04 GSX-R 600. I bought it three years ago from a young friend of mine at work. In one year he received 6 tickets, got his license suspended three times and spent 3 days in the county lockup for driving on suspended (while getting clocked at 132mph but they threw that out due to some technicality that I forget about). I told him flat out he needs to either sell it to me or else he’s going to do serious time or die trying. So he did.

It had 2400 miles on the odo when I got it. It now has 10,200. I absolutely love my GSX-R. It’s probably the closest thing I’ll ever have to a thoroughbred race machine as the GSX-R is basically just that, a race bike with a license plate and headlight. 0 to 60 in 3.0 seconds, tops out close to 140, weighs in at 350lbs and handles like a dream. I don’t ‘street race’, but let’s just say I’ve embarrassed every car that has dared try to make an effort. Some of them were very expensive high performance cars. I’ve never had a ticket and ride responsibly…for the most part unless I’m really antagonized).

I haven’t been to a ‘track day’ with it as it’s a pain in the *** to prep for the track (change out anti-freeze with water, tape all glass, safety wire oil cap, drain plug, brake calipers etc. It’s actually easier to just have a track bike and a street bike which many of the serious hobby racers do.). I went with a few work buddies who have track bikes to Jennings Raceway last month and not being able to get on the track was killing me!

Now I’m thinking about my next bike. I’m sort of at a crossroads, continue with high performance sport-bikes or maybe relax a bit and allow my wife to get back into riding with me (she won’t ride on the GSX-R, way too uncomfortable for any ride longer than 15 minutes) by getting a sport-touring bike or a sporty standard. I test rode an '08 GSX-R 1000 recently. 600 guys always have a bit of an inferiority complex about liter bikes. There are a few bonuses to the middleweights however in that they work better in the corners (many hobby track racers prefer the 600 as they can stay in the power longer through the corners whereas the liter bikes nurse it through the corner and then power through the straights plus the 600's have a 'flickability' that the lighter bike offers). So if I get a street bike I’ll turn my current bike into a track bike.

So the question is what bike? I picked up the latest Cycle World magazine (on strokers advice due to the MotoCysz article) which has their top 10 for '08 list and many 'runner's up'. Their top rated sprot touring bike is the new Kawasaki Concours 14. This may be just the bike I'm looking for. Comfortable for two for a decent day trip, will hold some goodies in the saddle bags, cruises 80mph effortlessly yet surprisingly agile in the corners. The only down side is...it's a sports touring bike. I keep having to remind myself that not every bike can be a GSX-R and be comfortable and carry stuff.

Well, maybe a Hyabusa can! It and it's closest competitor the Kaw ZX-14. Both 200mph sport touring bikes (although for '08 Suzuki has stopped calling the 'busa a sport touring bike, now referring to it as a sportbike). The two bikes are more sportbike than touring bikes whereas the Kaw Concours is more touring than sport.

But I'm torn. Maybe I just sell my '04 and get an '08 GSX-R 1000 that I've always wanted. Cycle World did award it it's top sport bike.

Any recommendations? And no, I can't afford Italian bikes and I don't have time anymore to be a shadetree mechanic to any old classic, as much as I'd like too.

This is my GSX-R. Custom paint I call 'spicoli yella'. :D

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/738/loraddedmq2.jpg

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 12:14 AM
Pimp that yellow bike out for the track and get one of these for you and the wife http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=k1200gt&bikeSection=tour There is nothing like that sound. :thumbup: Buddy of mine has one as well as an early 70's R75. Every winter he takes it apart in his living room and cleans the whole thing with a toothbrush....it looks like new :eek:

dando
06-19-08, 12:28 AM
Pimp that yellow bike out for the track and get one of these for you and the wife http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=k1200gt&bikeSection=tour There is nothing like that sound. :thumbup: Buddy of mine has one as well as an early 70's R75. Every winter he takes it apart in his living room and cleans the whole thing with a toothbrush....it looks like new :eek:

That was my first thought, too. Beemer == sport/touring x11 That's also the bike Alton Brown has on Feasting on Asphalt. :thumbup:

-Kevin

cameraman
06-19-08, 01:56 AM
I was going to say Ducati but if you won't allow it then add a third vote for a BMW. I'm a bit confused as to your planned usage, how much time is your wife going to spend sitting behind you? I know a couple of people in love with their K1200GTs although coming off a GSX-R it might take a little getting used to, especially the brakes. These folks ride all over out here and put serious miles on their bikes.

I love BMWs but I am stuck living in a neighborhood loaded down with Big Dogs, Indians and Harleys. Everybody within half a mile knows every time someone starts one of those damn things:flame:

gjc2
06-19-08, 08:08 AM
I've never owned a Moto Guzzi but I have ridden a few. I love them.

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/

stroker
06-19-08, 08:46 AM
Depends on what kind of riding you do.

If you mostly go out for 30 mile blasts keep the 600. If you want to take multi-state drives miles on interstate, get a touring rig. My brother had a ZX14 for a few weeks but got rid of it because it was too powerful. Perfectly controllable, but he just didn't want the wrath of Godzilla between his legs (he's into Motards right now). He let me ride his SV1000 (which he's developed slightly) and I think it's the perfect "poor man's Ducati". The stock riding position needs help with bars and/or peg location, but the torque is nice and linear compared to my TL1000S (which has a two-stroke like powerband). I think I could Interstate that bike just as easily as carve corners on the local twisties and I'm big enough to be considered "two-up" in weight, so it's got PLENTY of power if you're taking the missus for a ride. You can find SV1000's cheap, too.

Then again, you could always get a B-King...

:rofl:

mapguy
06-19-08, 09:26 AM
There are three that I would like to vote for. Make that four. First is the BMW K1200GT. Nice ride. Another would be the Triumph Sprint ST. A friend of mine at work has an Aprillia Mille which I have had the opportunity to ride. Smooooth. Last would be the Yamaha FJ1300.

oddlycalm
06-20-08, 07:18 PM
When faced with a similar decision I picked the BMW R1200RT. It's around the same price as the Concours, it's 20% lighter, has a lower CG, doesn't have a water cooling system blowing heat on you and 115hp was plenty for what I wanted. I admit a preference for the sound of two cylinder motorcycles. I went aftermarket on my exhaust and it wasn't loud, but it sounded like a motorcycle instead of a sewing machine...

The things I didn't like about the Concours I rode is that it was 100lbs too heavy, has to high a center of gravity and has a giant radiator that cooks your legs. The appeal is all sportbike and not much touring yet it's so heavy that it's a promise not kept.

To me the Hayabusa is a curiosity, not something I'd care to live with long term. We have a lot of twisty country and mountain roads that are tight enough that light weight and low CG trumps big power and long wheelbase every time. For flatlanders and desert dwellers the opposite may be true.

oc

Sean Malone
06-20-08, 11:37 PM
When faced with a similar decision I picked the BMW R1200RT. It's around the same price as the Concours, it's 20% lighter, has a lower CG, doesn't have a water cooling system blowing heat on you and 115hp was plenty for what I wanted. I admit a preference for the sound of two cylinder motorcycles. I went aftermarket on my exhaust and it wasn't loud, but it sounded like a motorcycle instead of a sewing machine...

The things I didn't like about the Concours I rode is that it was 100lbs too heavy, has to high a center of gravity and has a giant radiator that cooks your legs. The appeal is all sportbike and not much touring yet it's so heavy that it's a promise not kept.

To me the Hayabusa is a curiosity, not something I'd care to live with long term. We have a lot of twisty country and mountain roads that are tight enough that light weight and low CG trumps big power and long wheelbase every time. For flatlanders and desert dwellers the opposite may be true.

oc

Yes, nary a curvy road within 50 miles of me. The entire four county area is laid out in a grid. Yuck.

I agree that the 'busa is a novelty. Brings a lot of street cred to the game but is it really a bike for me, or to impress my buds?

The R1200RT is probably just the thing for us. :thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
06-21-08, 12:16 AM
Here's my next ride; needing some commuting to school comfort with weekend exhilaration

http://pictures.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kawasaki/2006-kawasaki-zzr600-ar1883/IMG/jpg/0/wall_2052_1024w.jpg

emjaya
06-21-08, 04:02 AM
Guy at work is selling his SD900. It looks and sounds great... ;)

dando
06-21-08, 03:07 PM

Yup, that's the bike for touring. When the day comes for me to do my cross control ride, that's the one I'm riding. I enjoy the V*Star for cruising around the country side around here, but it's not a long haul bike. :(

-Kevin

eiregosod
06-21-08, 03:53 PM
Did someone say Hayabusa? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4HdsDZX6c

Spicoli
06-21-08, 05:13 PM
Nice bike Malone. That looks really fuggin nice! :thumbup:

"Spicoli Yellow"....:laugh:

Cehck out my new fathers day present:

http://pixpipeline.com/s/86c7933d6f6f.jpg (http://pixpipeline.com/d/86c7933d6f6f.jpg)

dando
06-21-08, 05:32 PM

You've spawned? Oh Jeebus! :eek: :gomer:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
06-21-08, 09:20 PM
Nice bike Malone. That looks really fuggin nice! :thumbup:

"Spicoli Yellow"....:laugh:

http://pixpipeline.com/s/86c7933d6f6f.jpg (http://pixpipeline.com/d/86c7933d6f6f.jpg)

You a watch guy too? Me too! I was looking at a yellow faced Invicta on Woot the other day. Weird.

oddlycalm
06-22-08, 05:28 AM
Yup, that's the bike for touring. When the day comes for me to do my cross control ride, that's the one I'm riding. I enjoy the V*Star for cruising around the country side around here, but it's not a long haul bike. :(
The R1200RT is a really sweet ride. It's not may not be the first choice for serious touring folks but it will certainly do the job nicely and without beating you up.

I also liked that not everybody and their dog had one. I'd done the big touring sled deal with a Yamaha Venture back in the 80's and a H-D Electra Glide FLHS after that. Always had a sportbike de jeur around as well, but once my wife started riding I decided maintaining two bikes was fine but three was one too many.

It also meant we weren't doing multiple 500-700mi day trips anymore. She was fine napping behind me for multiple day butt busters but had less appetite for doing them on her own sled. ;)

oc

dando
06-22-08, 09:54 AM
The R1200RT is a really sweet ride. It's not may not be the first choice for serious touring folks but it will certainly do the job nicely and without beating you up.

I also liked that not everybody and their dog had one. I'd done the big touring sled deal with a Yamaha Venture back in the 80's and a H-D Electra Glide FLHS after that. Always had a sportbike de jeur around as well, but once my wife started riding I decided maintaining two bikes was fine but three was one too many.

It also meant we weren't doing multiple 500-700mi day trips anymore. She was fine napping behind me for multiple day butt busters but had less appetite for doing them on her own sled. ;)

oc

Yeah, I almost got one when I bought the V* back in the late 90s, but it had been awhile since I had been riding, so I decided to do the smaller 'cruiser' and wait on the bigger bike. Then the girls came along and put that on hold. In retrospect, I should have taken the plunge while the option $$$ were good. Back then, the RT1200 was going for ~$12K. I just checked eBay for S&Gs and found that the newer '07 and '08 models are going for ~$20K. Jeebus. :irked: A couple of older models are going in the $6-7K range, tho.

I'm actually watching the Feasting on Asphalt season 1 bonus disc, so I'm seriously jonesing for one now. BTW, if anyone hasn't seen FoA on DVD, the season one set has a bunch of new footage on the bonus disc that is awesome. I suspect they did that because the series was cut short due to AB's accident. Apparently the FoA season 2 set does not have bonus footage. :(

-Kevin

Spicoli
06-22-08, 01:41 PM
You've spawned? Oh Jeebus!

-Kevin

After gratuating from Towson State, accourse I look forward to starting a family.

:thumbup::gomer::thumbup:

dando
06-22-08, 02:44 PM
After gratuating from Ridgemont High, accourse I look forward to starting a family.

Dude. Fixed that for ya. :cool: :gomer:

-Kevin

trish
02-15-09, 12:25 AM
If you haven't purchased your new motorcycle yet, you can benefit from the stimulus package by getting it this year. I just saw on my local news there is a credit for the sales and excise taxes on a new motorcycle purchase.

Sean Malone
02-15-09, 10:40 AM
If you haven't purchased your new motorcycle yet, you can benefit from the stimulus package by getting it this year. I just saw on my local news there is a credit for the sales and excise taxes on a new motorcycle purchase.

Sweet! :thumbup:

stroker
02-15-09, 11:53 AM

"Paging Mr. Willie G. Davidson, paging Mr. Willie G. Davidson, please pay your lobbyist. Thank you."

Methanolandbrats
02-15-09, 12:17 PM
If you haven't purchased your new motorcycle yet, you can benefit from the stimulus package by getting it this year. I just saw on my local news there is a credit for the sales and excise taxes on a new motorcycle purchase. No tax break for Axis Bikes. Only applies if you buy a Harley and at least six bags of oil dry.

trish
02-15-09, 12:24 PM
I don't know what an Axis bike is. It looks like the AMA did some lobbying.http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/road-racing/2009/02/14/AMA-Stimulus

chop456
02-15-09, 01:49 PM
No tax break for Axis Bikes. Only applies if you buy a Harley and at least six bags of oil dry.

:laugh:

dando
02-15-09, 02:15 PM
I don't know what an Axis bike is.[/URL]

Germany (BMW), Japan (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki) and Italy (Ducati), yo.

-Kevin

oddlycalm
02-15-09, 04:29 PM
No tax break for Axis Bikes. Only applies if you buy a Harley and at least six bags of oil dry.

So you get a half credit for the Buell models with the Rotax engine....? :gomer:

oc

jcollins28
02-15-09, 05:04 PM
If you have the time, patience and money for frequent service trips then by all means get a Ducati. If you actualy like spending time on your bike and riding it without having to worry about how much it is going to cost to fix it after your ride then stick with a solid Japanese bike. Don't get me wrong a Ducati is cool as as hell. It is not really a bike that you can ride and put away though. There is always some massaging to get it through your next trip.

As for the Hayabusa. It is fun in a straight line but it will never handle like a proper sport bike. The damn thing has a wheel base as long as a Honda Civic. I would go with the Bimmer or the old tried and true Yamaha FJR. Of course if you want to stay on a Sport Bike. Nothing is better then a GSXR-1000. Or if you have some cash that you just have to burn why not this?

http://image.motorcyclistonline.com/f/12281883/12281883+w400/2008_BMW_HP2_Sport.jpg

dando
02-15-09, 05:07 PM
Or if you have some cash that you just have to burn why not this?

http://image.motorcyclistonline.com/f/12281883/12281883+w400/2008_BMW_HP2_Sport.jpg

If I was buying today, that's what I would buy. Feasting on Asphalt, yo. :thumbup:

-Kevin

jcollins28
02-15-09, 05:15 PM
If I was buying today, that's what I would buy. Feasting on Asphalt, yo. :thumbup:

-Kevin

It's sexy isn't it? With German engineering it will be 10X the bike of anything that will come out of Italy.

dando
02-15-09, 05:22 PM
It's sexy isn't it? With German engineering it will be 10X the bike of anything that will come out of Italy.

I lusted heavily over the RT when I bought my current rice burner small cruiser, but I couldn't justify the jack @ the time (~$12K vs. $5K). It's a good mix of a crotch rocket and a cruiser.

-Kevin

chop456
02-15-09, 06:21 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while and just looked at some prices. Wow. :saywhat:

I paid $3,900 for my brand new FZR in 1991.

"Back in my day..."

jcollins28
02-15-09, 06:27 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while and just looked at some prices. Wow. :saywhat:

I paid $3,900 for my brand new FZR in 1991.

"Back in my day..."

LOL that's what I paid for my 91 FZR as well. That was a great little bike and I kept it for a number of years before jumping into a GSXR.

Ankf00
02-15-09, 07:16 PM
saw a nice looking purple hawk parked the other day, the gandhi w/ the parking space next to mine just bought a monster 696 too.

been thinking about getting a bike for city transportation, leaving the car at the park & ride for getting to work from the station only.

then I saw how psycho everyone drives in the city... :eek: