PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning

nrc
06-18-08, 07:27 PM
What temperature do normal people keep it in their house during the summer?

dando
06-18-08, 07:35 PM

Ours goes to 76 @ 5pm, 78 @ 11pm, 76 @ 7am, and 80 @ 9am during the week, and varies slightly on the weekends based on our schedule.

-Kevin

oddlycalm
06-18-08, 07:42 PM
78 if it's a really hot day and I'm working. If it's under 85 I just leave the windows open and let the ceiling and attic fans do their thing. It's rarely humid here on warm days and our nights cool down after dark, but we usually get a couple 100+ days when we'll leave the AC on at night.

We're not big fans of refrigerated air and feel like we're freezing our tails off when we visit the Southwest where they seem to prefer temps around 68 indoors. :eek:

oc

Elmo T
06-18-08, 07:47 PM
I try to keep it around 76-78... if the wife is working from home it will stay cool all day. If she is out - I move it back to 80ish for the day.

dando
06-18-08, 07:54 PM
We're not big fans of refrigerated air and feel like we're freezing our tails off when we visit the Southwest where they seem to prefer temps around 68 indoors. :eek:

oc

The Seinfeld with Elaine and Jerry @ Jerry's parents condo when they wouldn't use the AC is :rofl: funny. :D

Stellllllllla! :)

-Kevin

WickerBill
06-18-08, 08:07 PM
Constant 75.

But I *love* refrigerated air -- when I'm in a hotel, which seems to be all the stinking time, it's 68 at the highest. I'd much rather bundle up while sleeping than sweat while sleeping...

Insomniac
06-18-08, 08:37 PM
80 for now. Maybe 78 as the summer goes on. I hate cold air blowing on me. Plus my body temperature hovers around 96.

TravelGal
06-18-08, 08:43 PM
78 if it's a really hot day and I'm working. If it's under 85 I just leave the windows open and let the ceiling and attic fans do their thing. It's rarely humid here on warm days and our nights cool down after dark, but we usually get a couple 100+ days when we'll leave the AC on at night.

oc

Pretty much the same. It's been about 100 for the last few days and looks like it will be for the next few. I seem to begin to melt at about 85 regardless of fans. That means about 4 PM when my WEST-facing office begins to really heat up, I turn on the A/C. Ergo, I completely agree with the sentence I put in bold. I tend to freeze at 74. But that's in the summer. In winter we keep the joint at about 68 before we turn on the heat.

Sean Malone
06-18-08, 09:18 PM
75 during the day, 73 at night.

The parents do 69, 24 hours a day. Hmm. Let's just go ahead and call that 70. :D

PSA - I just installed the 7 day programmable thermos from Honeywell that you can buy at Lowes. Super easy to install and very accurate.

oddlycalm
06-18-08, 09:37 PM
The Seinfeld with Elaine and Jerry @ Jerry's parents condo when they wouldn't use the AC is :rofl: funny. :D
Hadn't thought of that one in a while, that was a funny bit. :D

I would have killed for air conditioning when I was a kid in Michigan, and I'd probably have killed anyone that tried to turn it off. Nobody I knew there had AC in the 50's and 60's. I remember a lot of sticky days and stickier nights. :thumdown: I don't miss the mosquitos either...

Our average summer day high here is 80 with 15% humidity or less and the cold air falling off the mountains after dark makes the average summer night low 57. So not using the AC most days isn't some bizarre fetish, it's just more comfortable to let the breeze blow through the house. On hotter days it's definitely on.

A lot of people (most people?) here don't have AC at all, but I'm guessing not many of them work from home and they have to put up with a few hot days most summers. We only average 11 days a year over 90.

oc

racermike
06-19-08, 12:05 AM
68 during the day, off at night (open windows if needed)

Even on 95-100+ degree days here in Oregon, it almost always cools off to between 58-65 at night.

cameraman
06-19-08, 01:15 AM
We haven't figured that out yet. The ac system is 4 weeks old and the 25 years prior to that I've had swamp coolers which don't have thermostats. It is at 74 right now. It is going to get into the high 90s this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

KLang
06-19-08, 06:53 AM
77 when we are here. Programmed up to 80 during the day when we are not.

New house has thermostats that automagically switch between cool and heat. I have them set for cool at 77 and heat at 72. Works great. :thumbup:

WickerBill
06-19-08, 07:18 AM
Am I the only one who has to do the dance of the vents every spring and fall in an attempt to balance the temperature between floors? My house has one furnace and one AC unit; the thermostat is downstairs facing the fireplace :shakehead , and no matter what I do, the temp is a good 4-5 degrees different between floors. I spend a few days "vent tuning", trying to get the balance right, and end up realizing that it isn't going to get any better.

Warlock!
06-19-08, 08:27 AM
70 degrees, only because my wife and kids won't let me keep it at 65.

Am I the only one who has to do the dance of the vents every spring and fall in an attempt to balance the temperature between floors? My house has one furnace and one AC unit; the thermostat is downstairs facing the fireplace :shakehead , and no matter what I do, the temp is a good 4-5 degrees different between floors.
Same deal here. I like it cooler where I sleep so in the winter it's not a problem, but the fact that heat rises makes me close a few of the vents downstairs in the summer to force it into the bedrooms.

Sean O'Gorman
06-19-08, 08:50 AM
About 78ish because the damn thing doesn't shut off if I go any lower. I have vaulted ceilings in my new apartment and it takes more to cool them, but at least the room stays cool. Stu can attest to my old apartment being freezing when the AC was on, and then incredibly hot the second it shuts off.

Indy
06-19-08, 09:58 AM
If there any AC experts here, I have a question. I was told when we replaced our last AC unit (which lasted 22 years), that the way to extend the life of the thing was to pick a temperature and stick with it. Allow the unit to click on and off as needed, but resist the temptation to play with it all the time. The tech even recommended not using the programming for different temps at different times of the day. What do you think?

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 09:59 AM
If there any AC experts here, I have a question. I was told when we replaced our last AC unit (which lasted 22 years), that the way to extend the life of the thing was to pick a temperature and stick with it. Allow the unit to click on and off as needed, but resist the temptation to play with it all the time. The tech even recommended not using the programming for different temps at different times of the day. What do you think? I think you need a new tech.

Indy
06-19-08, 10:00 AM
All he did was install the new one, and I didn't really bother to do what he said, but it has stuck in the back of my mind. I think 22 years is pretty good, so we couldn't have been abusing it too much, right?

eiregosod
06-19-08, 10:31 AM
If there any AC experts here, I have a question. I was told when we replaced our last AC unit (which lasted 22 years), that the way to extend the life of the thing was to pick a temperature and stick with it. Allow the unit to click on and off as needed, but resist the temptation to play with it all the time. The tech even recommended not using the programming for different temps at different times of the day. What do you think?

if you stick to one temperature, the electronic and mechanical control does not have to continually adjust to the new setting.

Sean Malone
06-19-08, 11:08 AM
Coincidentally I have the AC tech at my house right now. I'm having him check the condensing unit for leaks as the temp is creeping up for degrees above what the setting is during 90+ degree days. Turns out I'm good on freon, but the 18 year old '9' efficiency standard heat pump has just run out of good times.
The standard is up to 13 so I'm talking with him about a new one. My air handler was replaced just before we moved in last year so the tech was explaining that it would probably be best for me to get an R22 pump and that should take me through 2020 no prob. The industry is changing out to Puron, so I would need to replace both if I wait more than a year. The prices on the R22 units will continue to rise as they phase that standard out.

SteveH
06-19-08, 11:55 AM
75 in the summer. And I change the dampers on the duct work coming out of the furnace/AC unit to pump more air to the second story and minimize the air going to the first level. All air vents in the basement are closed. When its especially warm out, I'll turn the fan to on rather than auto to recirculate the cooler air in the basement throughout the house. Of course, you need a cold air return in your basement for that to be effective (its worth it to install one if you don't have it). Was told this by the owner of a plumbing/HVAC company and it works great. AC runs much less and the temp in the house is more constant from floor to floor.

In the winter, I change the dampers to pump more air to the first story and very little to the second floor.

Sean O'Gorman
06-19-08, 11:59 AM
if you stick to one temperature, the electronic and mechanical control does not have to continually adjust to the new setting.

Awesome, I'm pretty sure I'm going to blow up my AC unit by, like, August. Thankfully I wont have to pay for a new one.

Wheel-Nut
06-19-08, 12:04 PM
77 when not at home

75 when home

nrc
06-19-08, 01:27 PM
Interesting. Just endured a family beach vacation where half the family decided that anything above 72 was intolerable. I suppose it will be our last since long sleeves and long pants isn't my idea of a beach vacation.

At home we keep it at 78. Thermostat goes to 82 while we're at work.

Tim
06-19-08, 02:47 PM
After being without AC for the last 3 summers I'm not sure if I'll even use the one I have now. I'm not a fan of shut windows and loud machines.

mapguy
06-19-08, 03:01 PM

M&B is right, you need a new tech. Having an HVAC background (and being EPA type I & II certified) changing the settings on your t-stat isn't going to change the life expectancy of the outdoor condensing unit. I usually keep mine at 75-80 (depending on the outdoor temp) when I am not at home. When I am at home 72 while awake and 75 while I sleep.

The life expectancy of the outdoor unit is about 20 years. Here are some factors that will help keep it going 20+ years.

1) Keep it clean. Here in upstate NY springtime brings out the cottonwood seeds. Those little white fluffy things that blow around. They love AC coils. A dirty coil makes the unit work harder as it is more difficult for the refrigerant to transfer the heat and become a cool vapor again. Just use a garden hose and go up and down the coil. Not side to side.

2) Be careful when doing yard work around it. Weed whackers can do a real number on the aluminum fins, even more so if you hit a refrigerant line. Also keep plants away from it. It needs good airflow. Also keep your dog away from it. Dog urine will eat the aluminum fins.

3) Yearly tune ups from a tech. Make sure he inspects the coil in the plenum (on top of the furnace/air handler). If that gets dirty it won't cool.

4) Replace your filter(s) once a month.

5) Do not, and I repeat do not wrap it up in a tarp over the winter. The unit is designed to be outside all year round. It will rust faster if you wrap it up. If is is close to a sloping roof, put a piece of plywood slightly larger than the top of the unit on top and put a brick on it to protect from falling ice and snow from the roof.

6) When buying new get a good brand name. Trane (American Standard), Carrier, Lennox. Goodman and Coleman are the crapwagons of the HVAC world.

Hope this helps.

Wheel-Nut
06-19-08, 03:04 PM
After being without AC for the last 3 summers I'm not sure if I'll even use the one I have now. I'm not a fan of shut windows and loud machines.

How long is "summer" in WI? 2 days?? :D

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 03:16 PM
How long is "summer" in WI? 2 days?? :D Can be as long as 12 weeks as it was last year. This year only one day near 90F, but the dewpoint was almost 80 for several days which is :eek: for here. That moisture caused the first monsoon when Canadian air pushed it out. I have a few big window units and I button the house up when the dewpoint is going above 60 and open it when it's below 60. Temp is in the 70s indoors, but it's dry enough to be comfortable and the dehumidifier does not run. Dehumidifers are expensive to run and it is better to keep the moisture out of the house in the first place instead of having to remove it. I really don't see the need for central air in this climate because the cooling season is so short.....now heating, that's a much bigger problem.

Elmo T
06-19-08, 03:35 PM
the life expectancy of the outdoor condensing unit.

I was told to make sure the unit is balanced - not tilting over to one side. An off balance unit may develop motor or bearing problems. Yes - No?

I check it, though it has been stable for the past few years. The first few years, it did settle in a bit with the fill around the foundation.

mapguy
06-19-08, 03:41 PM
I was told to make sure the unit is balanced - not tilting over to one side. An off balance unit may develop motor or bearing problems. Yes - No?

Yes, I forgot to add that one. The problem is if it is not level it can be a beotch trying to level it. Depending on how bad the list is. The refrigerant lines are flexible, to a point.

TravelGal
06-19-08, 05:01 PM
5) Do not, and I repeat do not wrap it up in a tarp over the winter. The unit is designed to be outside all year round. It will rust faster if you wrap it up. If is is close to a sloping roof, put a piece of plywood slightly larger than the top of the unit on top and put a brick on it to protect from falling ice and snow from the roof.

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot. I am printing it out for TravelGuy. We were told to put a special cover on it for winter to protect it from the elements. Ours is on the roof, subject to lots of wind and moderate rain in winter. It's 14 years old and has no rust yet. Perhaps minus 25 humidity helps. :D Would you still advise not wrapping it?

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 05:09 PM
Helps a lot. I am printing it out for TravelGuy. We were told to put a special cover on it for winter to protect it from the elements. Ours is on the roof, subject to lots of wind and moderate rain in winter. It's 14 years old and has no rust yet. Perhaps minus 25 humidity helps. :D Would you still advise not wrapping it? I'm sure TravelGuy won't want to wrap it :D

TravelGal
06-19-08, 05:16 PM
I'm sure TravelGuy won't want to wrap it :D

badda bing. I guess I won't read him this part of the thread. :D

Indy
06-19-08, 06:43 PM
Thanks, mapguy!

Another question. If I wanted to hide the unit for cosmetic purposes, how much room do I need to give it for airflow? I am imagining some sort of wooden fencing around it, for example.

Also, is there some particular application that will hide it and reduce the noise from it?

Thanks in advance. This really helps. :adviceforum:

cameraman
06-19-08, 06:46 PM
I just went through this when they installed the new compressor.
Lennox wants 18" on all sides and a 5 feet straight up for optimum air flow.

Also we bought the Lennox XC15-030 compressor which is incredibly quiet. Quite literally it sounds like a distant neighbors compressor when you are standing right next to it.

dando
06-19-08, 06:53 PM
I just went through this when they installed the new compressor.
Lennox wants 18" on all sides and a 5 feet straight up for optimum air flow.

I just ripped out some overgrown maiden grass to achieve this spec this spring. I feel sorry for the tech that had to climb through the stuff to service them last summer. If you go straight throug the stuff it's like a zillion tiny paper cuts. :saywhat: Of course I learned from Man vs. Wild in the Everglade to move through it from the bottom up.

-Kevin

KLang
06-19-08, 07:15 PM
Goodman and Coleman are the crapwagons of the HVAC world.

Swell. :irked: I've got three Goodman's now. My builder uses that brand for some reason. With proper service what sort of life can I expect from these things in Houston?

Spicoli
06-19-08, 07:53 PM

70 always.

JLMannin
06-19-08, 10:39 PM
Am I the only one who has to do the dance of the vents every spring and fall in an attempt to balance the temperature between floors? My house has one furnace and one AC unit; the thermostat is downstairs facing the fireplace :shakehead , and no matter what I do, the temp is a good 4-5 degrees different between floors. I spend a few days "vent tuning", trying to get the balance right, and end up realizing that it isn't going to get any better.

I do that, too. My HVAC system has a damper that I can adjust to direct the more upstairs or more downstairs. In heating season, I send most of the air flow down and throttle back on the upstairs vents as heat rises. In cooling season, I do the opposite, and cold air sinks. It works pretty well, and the temperature is pretty constant from room to room.

If I do not adjust the damper correctly during cooling season, my daughters room is very hot in the summer.

eiregosod
06-20-08, 06:03 AM
Coincidentally I have the AC tech at my house right now. I'm having him check the condensing unit for leaks as the temp is creeping up for degrees above what the setting is during 90+ degree days. Turns out I'm good on freon, but the 18 year old '9' efficiency standard heat pump has just run out of good times.
The standard is up to 13 so I'm talking with him about a new one. My air handler was replaced just before we moved in last year so the tech was explaining that it would probably be best for me to get an R22 pump and that should take me through 2020 no prob. The industry is changing out to Puron, so I would need to replace both if I wait more than a year. The prices on the R22 units will continue to rise as they phase that standard out.

save your monies. next time you call the plumber in, ask him to re-route a cold water pipe, get a fan , blow the air over the cold water pipe, problem solved, no need for freon, preon, puron,prunon, muon or lepton gases.

Spicoli
06-20-08, 08:49 AM
save your monies. next time you call the plumber in, ask him to re-route a cold water pipe, get a fan , blow the air over the cold water pipe, problem solved, no need for freon, preon, puron,prunon, muon or lepton gases.

did you get a yob er sumpin? :saywhat:

Methanolandbrats
06-20-08, 09:11 AM
These work great too!
http://oldeskool.org/howto/therm.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://oldeskool.org/howto/therm.jpg&imgrefurl=http://oldeskool.org/thermador-swamp-cooler.html&h=220&w=250&sz=33&hl=en&start=31&um=1&tbnid=KtzbnBExV122LM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dautomotive%2Bswamp%2Bcooler%26start%3 D20%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Sean Malone
06-20-08, 09:15 AM

That is what many homes had out in Pheonix when I lived there in '92 but it is my understanding they only work with dry air, not the humidity found in the south eastern US.

Insomniac
06-20-08, 11:55 AM

Is there an assumption the water will be moving through that pipe? Or that the temperature of the water in the pipe will not rise at or above the temperature of the room?

Elmo T
06-20-08, 01:23 PM
Helps a lot. I am printing it out for TravelGuy. We were told to put a special cover on it for winter to protect it from the elements. Ours is on the roof, subject to lots of wind and moderate rain in winter. It's 14 years old and has no rust yet. Perhaps minus 25 humidity helps. :D Would you still advise not wrapping it?

FWIW, our service dude says the same thing - leave it open.

cameraman
06-20-08, 01:29 PM
Would you still advise not wrapping it?

My installer said wrapping it would void the warranty...

TravelGal
06-20-08, 02:14 PM
Thanks you two. I'm going to call our guy and ask him about it. Fortunately we still have the same guy service it as installed it and we know he knows his stuff. Will report back.

oddlycalm
06-20-08, 03:15 PM
So I'm guessing that you don't have a lot of 40C days with 90% ambient humidity where you live. :D

oc

chop456
06-24-08, 10:04 AM
4) Replace your filter(s) once a month.

Do you know how much Spacegard filters cost? It'd be cheaper to buy a new furnace every 5 years. :shakehead I vaccum them out every month or two and change them probably 3-4 times a year. I've been thinking of measuring the unit and seeing if I can figure out a combination of the "regular" filters that would be the same size.

BTW - I have Arcoaire A/C and furnace units and they've been going strong since 1985. :thumbup:

:knockswood:

Wheel-Nut
06-24-08, 10:15 AM
Such a timely thread for me.

Arrive home from work Thursday with an inside temp of 79 and climbing. No cold air blowing. Repair man shows up Friday and says the evap coil is shot. He works me up a quote of $2700 for a new coil, supply plenum, some of this, some of that and some of the other :eek: :cry: and says he can have it installed Monday.

One hot weekend but it cools now! :thumbup:

mapguy
06-24-08, 10:41 AM
Do you know how much Spacegard filters cost? It'd be cheaper to buy a new furnace every 5 years. :shakehead I vaccum them out every month or two and change them probably 3-4 times a year. I've been thinking of measuring the unit and seeing if I can figure out a combination of the "regular" filters that would be the same size.

My bad. I assumed that about 90% of the peeps with a forced air gas system uses the standard 1-inch filters. The spaceguards can usually last a year, especially the Aprilaire's.

Methanolandbrats
06-24-08, 10:58 AM

BTW - I have Arcoaire A/C and furnace units and they've been going strong since 1985. :thumbup:

:knockswood: Cobble up a K&N cold air intake for the furnace and then you'd never have to change it :gomer:

G.
06-24-08, 12:06 PM
75 in the summer. And I change the dampers on the duct work coming out of the furnace/AC unit to pump more air to the second story and minimize the air going to the first level. All air vents in the basement are closed. When its especially warm out, I'll turn the fan to on rather than auto to recirculate the cooler air in the basement throughout the house. Of course, you need a cold air return in your basement for that to be effective (its worth it to install one if you don't have it). Was told this by the owner of a plumbing/HVAC company and it works great. AC runs much less and the temp in the house is more constant from floor to floor.

In the winter, I change the dampers to pump more air to the first story and very little to the second floor.Me too.

Note: the only people that will tell you to cover your AC unit are techs that are expecting repeat business in the near future. Don't cover it.

Also, I'm a bit weird in that I run the temp cooler at night than in the day. Also, warmer at night in the winter. It's for the children.

But I s'pose they're old enough now to figure out how to operate those blanket things for themselves.

cameraman
06-24-08, 02:32 PM
But I s'pose they're old enough now to figure out how to operate those blanket things for themselves.It is surprising how long it takes for that bit of applied knowledge to take hold.