PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3?

dando
06-18-08, 03:17 PM
Anyone using the new version of FF yet? I'll prolly have it on a test box shortly, but I'm hesitant to "upgrade" my main PCs/Mactop yet.

-Kevin

cameraman
06-18-08, 03:29 PM
I am using it on my intel powerbook pro w/ 10.5.3.

It renders pages noticeably faster than Safari 3.1.1, Camino 1.6.1 or Omniweb 5.

It needs an available plugin to display pdf files in the browser window.

What I can't seem to figure out are the bookmarks. I can't figure out how to get Firefox to sort the folders first followed by the individual bookmarks. It is stuck in a mixed type alphabetical list mode which I hate.

Its pop up blocking abilities leave something to be desired too.

btw I use a program called Bookdog which syncs the bookmarks between all four browsers. That way it does not matter which one I turn on the bookmarks are always the same.

So far at least Firefox 3 has handled all pages correctly.

Insomniac
06-18-08, 03:51 PM
I installed it on my laptop and made cursory use of it. Seemed stable. The real test is my desktop, but I don't have the time to check on the extensions and anything that may be a problem. I just hope it doesn't leak and occupy memory like mad.

Right now, FF 2.0.0.14 has been open all day. Two tabs open, 238 MB of memory according to task manager. It does not recover used memory at all.

Sean Malone
06-18-08, 03:57 PM
I've been using the last RC for months w/ no problem.

nissan gtp
06-18-08, 04:04 PM
I've been using the last RC for months w/ no problem.

me too.

the 3.0 release is fast :thumbup:

dando
06-18-08, 04:05 PM
I just hope it doesn't leak and occupy memory like mad.

Right now, FF 2.0.0.14 has been open all day. Two tabs open, 238 MB of memory according to task manager. It does not recover used memory at all.

Precisely my concern. I'll give her a go I guess. Windoze has made me cynical. :irked:

-Kevin

cameraman
06-18-08, 04:24 PM
On my machine Firefox 3 grabs 1 GB of hard drive space and it hangs on to somewhere between 70 and 220 MB of ram. It is hovering around 91.80 as I type this.

WickerBill
06-18-08, 05:31 PM
Any quick way to tell if the extensions I use are compatible without visiting a whole bunch of websites for each app?

cameraman
06-18-08, 05:43 PM
Oh my. It seems that Firefox 3 can't properly render the Mozilla add-ons page:eek:

I was going to say just look up the extensions on the list on that page but....

dando
06-18-08, 05:53 PM
Oh my. It seems that Firefox 3 can't properly render the Mozilla add-ons page:eek:

I was going to say just look up the extensions on the list on that page but....

Here?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Looks OK for me on my Macbook Pro.

3 seems pretty slick thus far (5 minutes after install).

Firebug is not compatible. :irked:

-Kevin

cameraman
06-18-08, 06:01 PM
Here?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Firebug is not compatible. :irked:

No, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/recommended
It looks like the Mozilla web site is the problem not the browser
Many of the internal links are not working.

dando
06-18-08, 06:21 PM
It looks like the Mozilla web site is the problem not the browser
Many of the internal links are not working.

Bad Web monkeys, bad! :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-18-08, 08:34 PM
On my machine Firefox 3 grabs 1 GB of hard drive space and it hangs on to somewhere between 70 and 220 MB of ram. It is hovering around 91.80 as I type this.

1 GB? Is that your cache size? I still use 100 MB.

dando
06-18-08, 10:21 PM
So far so good on the Windoze machine. Can't install it @ work w/o Firebug working, tho. :irked: I don't care for the 'enhanced' history list that is displayed while entering an URL.

-Kevin

racermike
06-19-08, 12:03 AM
Release 3 is a VAST improvement over 2.xx versions.

Much faster, and less of a drain on memory.

Insomniac
06-19-08, 09:12 AM
Not a fan of the new autocomplete at all. In fact, stuff that I always used autocomplete are gone, for example, offcamber.net/forums/ was gone, where it used to be at the top of the list. I've noticed most of the stuff that was first is nowhere near the top or gone completely. I hope stuff finds it way back to the top quickly.

dando
06-19-08, 12:24 PM
One of my guys found that Firebug is compatible with FF 3, but doesn't auto update. Gots to go get it and install it again. :irked:

-Kevin

dando
06-19-08, 12:25 PM
Not a fan of the new autocomplete at all. In fact, stuff that I always used autocomplete are gone, for example, offcamber.net/forums/ was gone, where it used to be at the top of the list. I've noticed most of the stuff that was first is nowhere near the top or gone completely. I hope stuff finds it way back to the top quickly.

It looks like they've integrated some search crap in there. I checked for an option to chaneg it back to the usefull version, but didn't see anything like that. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-19-08, 01:09 PM
It looks like they've integrated some search crap in there. I checked for an option to chaneg it back to the usefull version, but didn't see anything like that. :thumdown:

-Kevin

As I suspected it gets better with time, but it's crazy. It will try and match anything. I type in dr to go to the drudge report, and one of the suggestions is jdbc.postgresql.org because the title of the page is JDBC PostrgeSQL Driver.

Memory usage, way, way better so far. Hasn't broken ~125 MB. I know one day last week I had 2.0.0.14 up to 1.7 GB!

Insomniac
06-19-08, 03:57 PM
Now I don't remember, but didn't the location bar turn yellow when on a secure site? If so, it doesn't anymore. :thumdown:

cameraman
06-19-08, 03:59 PM
Now I don't remember, but didn't the location bar turn yellow when on a secure site? If so, it doesn't anymore. :thumdown:

Only if you had some kind of add on that did that.

dando
06-19-08, 04:01 PM

I still have FF 2.x on this machine, and yes it does turn yeller. And no, I don't have an add on to do that.

-Kevin

cameraman
06-19-08, 06:41 PM
If you are using a windows box you can regain the yellow address bar/https thingie

http://lifehacker.com/396582/turn-firefox-3s-location-bar-yellow-at-https-urls

Insomniac
06-19-08, 09:56 PM
If you are using a windows box you can regain the yellow address bar/https thingie

http://lifehacker.com/396582/turn-firefox-3s-location-bar-yellow-at-https-urls

Thanks! I forgot about userchrome.

cameraman
06-20-08, 05:21 PM
blargh.

The occasional random crashes have begun:flame:

WickerBill
06-26-08, 07:24 AM
Upgraded to 3 on the laptop last night. Impressed with load time and low memory usage. Had to hack my SwitchProxy extension to make it work, but it works fine now. All the extensions I care about except "Copy Plain Text" work.

Highly recommended, would buy again A++++

Methanolandbrats
06-26-08, 08:59 AM
It's plenty fast, but can you import IE7 bookmarks into FF3 in the order they are sorted in IE7? FF3 imported them automatically in alphabetical order which sucks.

opinionated ow
06-26-08, 09:09 AM
bloody awful...sooooo slow! its making my computer run at a snail's place and its only 4 months old!

dando
06-26-08, 11:22 AM
Highly recommended, would buy again A++++

How fast was the shipping? :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-26-08, 01:50 PM
bloody awful...sooooo slow! its making my computer run at a snail's place and its only 4 months old!

That seems contrary to what many say. Did you try safe mode or without extensions? Also, are you comparing it to FF2?

Insomniac
06-30-08, 08:25 PM
Update on the autocomplete. It's now pretty normal in the sense that what I prefer to be first in the list is now there. The one cool thing is that since it also searches the title of the page, I can use that to go back somewhere. For example, if I was looking at a movie on IMDB, I can get back to it now by starting to type the name of the movie. I can avoid hitting the front page and using the search.

devilmaster
07-02-08, 09:36 PM
i feel sooo proud :gomer::rofl:

opinionated ow
07-02-08, 10:14 PM
That seems contrary to what many say. Did you try safe mode or without extensions? Also, are you comparing it to FF2?

Seems the installation coincided with my ACER crapping itself

Methanolandbrats
07-02-08, 10:22 PM
Seems the installation coincided with my ACER crapping itself
I've never heard of an ACER crapping itself, that's one fine puter :D

opinionated ow
07-02-08, 11:13 PM
I've never heard of an ACER crapping itself, that's one fine puter :D

Don't buy an ACER. EVER! There customer service in Australia is beyond bloody dreadful. It took them more than a month to find a part number for me...

dando
07-28-08, 12:16 PM
OK, so after a month or so it appears to be pretty stable and not quite the hog as 2.x. However, my Flash plugin is getting trashed every few days after re-installing it. In fact, this AM I re-installed Flash 9.x and youtube vids and many ads are toast. It'll start to show vids, but stops just a few seconds into it. I've also had a problem with no audio in some videos, which was resolved by re-installing the plugin. Any else seeing such oddities?

-Kevin

cameraman
07-28-08, 12:39 PM
Not on my Mac. I've been running 3.0 since it's official release and it has been rock solid.

dando
07-28-08, 12:54 PM
Not on my Mac. I've been running 3.0 since it's official release and it has been rock solid.

My Mac is fine. I should have mentioned this is happening on my Windoze machines (two of them have the same issue...one @ work and one @ home). :saywhat: :(

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-28-08, 02:16 PM
No problems for me on Windows. Flash has sucked for a long time. Uses way too much CPU for the most lamest of animations.

coolhand
07-28-08, 03:14 PM
I run into that FLash problem only after I have kept firefox open for over a month.

It plays 3 seconds of videos and then stalls. Restarting firefox fixes it.

dando
07-28-08, 03:21 PM

I reboot weekly (despite corp policy :D). Restarting FF does not fix my issue. Video stops @ 2 seconds. :irked:

-Kevin

Insomniac
07-28-08, 04:04 PM
I run into that FLash problem only after I have kept firefox open for over a month.

I could never leave FF 2.x open that long. I can't imagine how many GBs of memory it would use and not release over a month.