PDA

View Full Version : US Open

Don Quixote
06-16-08, 04:43 PM
Dang. :(
Too unlikely a story to ever happen.

Sean Malone
06-16-08, 05:47 PM
I was pulling for him along with my entire office. I thought there was a law that if you watched golf you had to pull for Tiger. Guess not.

dando
06-16-08, 07:00 PM
Being a Nicklaus fan, I despise Tigger. :irked:

I was pulling hard for Rocco yesterday and today. He's always been one of my underdog faves. :thumbup: Today was good theater, but I knew in my heart the inevitable was going to happen. :(

If you like today's match, you need to check out The Greatest Game Ever Played. :thumbup:

-Kevin

trish
06-16-08, 07:05 PM
I was thinking of that movie during yesterday's events.

Cam
06-16-08, 08:24 PM
Tiger can eat my shorts. :thumdown:

Insomniac
06-16-08, 11:07 PM
A lot of Tiger love here. :gomer:

WickerBill
06-17-08, 06:28 AM
Don't worry dando, he won't break Nicklaus' record for most top 10s in majors... you'll still have something pathetic to hold on to.

Does everyone here hate Roger Federer too? Tiger's amazing, and every time he does something amazing it gives us something to talk about when we're old. He isn't my favorite but I sure appreciate what he's done.

Insomniac
06-17-08, 09:07 AM
Don't worry dando, he won't break Nicklaus' record for most top 10s in majors... you'll still have something pathetic to hold on to.

Does everyone here hate Roger Federer too? Tiger's amazing, and every time he does something amazing it gives us something to talk about when we're old. He isn't my favorite but I sure appreciate what he's done.

I appreciate his game, he's damn good. But since Agassi and Sampras retired and Roddick didn't make it to the top, tennis isn't as interesting. Need more Americans IMO.

Winning breeds contempt though, I think that has been proven over time many, many times, no matter who it is.

dando
06-17-08, 09:52 AM

Pathetic? BS. I'd like to see Tigger do what Jack did with the equipment that Jack and the other greats used in that era. Sorry, I grew up in Jack's backyard, so I've witnessed the greatness, and I'm a Nicklaus homer.

I also appreciate Tigger for what he's done thus far. The greatest ever talk just sticks in my craw. But I also don't care for they way Tigger acts sometimes...like when he threw his club yesterday after a bad shot and shouted God dammit. Nice role model, Tigger. :thumdown:

NOTE: yes, I've been known to toss a club, but I'm not a role model on a national stage. :gomer:

Who's Federer? ;)

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-17-08, 10:02 AM
Pathetic? BS. I'd like to see Tigger do what Jack did with the equipment that Jack and the other greats used in that era.

You're attributing Tiger's success to his equipment? Yikes.

Sean Malone
06-17-08, 11:28 AM
My 2 cents. Tiger hit the ground running, made his mark and is here to stay continuing to prove he's one of the best ever. My dislike of Tiger isn't due to his playing, his tantrums etc (Eagle Scouts are role models, athletes are athletes, although I’m still not convinced golfers are athletes. Is a pool player an athlete? No.) but rather the swarm of Tigermania bandwagon ‘fans’ that crawl out from the woodwork ever time he’s in the running to win something. My sisters boyfriend who wouldn’t know a 9 iron from a clothes iron was texting hole by hole updates to her throughout the day because they just HAD to see Jesus Woods beat Mediate. Gag.

I have a few modern redneck friends back in VA who claim to be huge Tiger fans and they started playing golf because of him. They’re the ones who show up in shorts and t-shirts and drink cans of Coors Light all day but they spent $1200 on their clubs, which is what it’s all about right? Then they go home and watch NASCAR. It’s the typical America suburban, SUV drivin , Tiger Woods lovin’ , NASCAR, Outback on Friday nights dad.

No, I don’t live in a shed in the woods.

oddlycalm
06-17-08, 04:17 PM
Managed to insulate myself from the results until I finished working and could sit down and watch DVR recording. Amazing 18 holes of golf. As soon as they said that 7 would be the first sudden death hole I knew Rocco was done. Sad, but Rocco gave him one helluva battle. :thumbup: It was a helluva 91 holes of golf for both of them, and Rocco had to qualify to even get there.

Aside from being the underdog I've always liked Rocco. He has a great attitude and he's just a tremendous technical player. Wish it had been his day. Rocco reminds be a lot of Julius Boros who was a favorite of mine. He didn't spend 20 minutes lining up a shot, he just walked up and hit the ball.

Tiger is what he is. I get tired of seeing him win, but I recognize that he can do things nobody else can do. When he made that 40 footer with 20+ft of break (at the Safeway ?) I laughed my tail off. The hole was damn near behind him. You could say it was a freak shot except he does similar things all the time and he does them when it matters. Until he grinds that knee to dust he's going to dominate the game because he's the greatest athlete to ever play golf. IMO The jury is still out on whether he's the best golfer to ever play the game though.

oc

dando
06-17-08, 04:43 PM
The jury is still out on whether he's the best golfer to ever play the game though.

oc

Unless he truly smashes Jack's record for wins, and he well could, it's going to be one of those discussions like comparing baseball players from different eras. When they put the stat up about top 10 major finishes that showed Jack had 73 and Tigger 28 (now 29), it was sobering to think that he'll have to finish in the top ten in every major for the next 10 years to reach that mark. :eek:

The fact is, golf equipment, course conditions and the way players are treated have made such a leap the past 20 years, it's got to skew the comparison. Did you hear Johnny Miller's comment yesterday that he wished he could have played on fairways that nice? And heck, even hackers like me can bomb a friggin' driver the size of a mailbox 250 yards or longer. I bought a new one last year after slicing the same one for about the last 10 years. It literally added 50 yards to my drives, which now tend to draw. :thumbup: Too bad they don't have help like that for my chipping and putting. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
06-17-08, 04:52 PM
(Eagle Scouts are role models, athletes are athletes, although I’m still not convinced golfers are athletes. Is a pool player an athlete? No.)

Tigger is in a unique position as a minority playing a game of honor, so yes, he is a role model for many. Especially since the PGA plays up this aspect as a way to get more minorities and less privileged kids into golf. If you haven't yet, watch the movie I mentioned in my first post. It's set in the period around the beginning of the last century, and it's amazing to see how golf was a sport of kings back then. Oh my, how far the game has come since then. Frances Ouimet. :thumbup:

BTW, are race car drivers 'athletes'? :gomer: IMHO, if it's considered a sport, those who play it are athletes. I don't see anyone calling pool a sport. My $.02...

Oh, and you may not live in a shack in the woods, but you live where the per capita redneck population is pretty high. ;)

-Kevin

dando
06-17-08, 05:00 PM
You're attributing Tiger's success to his equipment? Yikes.

Nope. I'm just saying that the players today have advantages over players of the 60, 70s, and most of the 80s. Clearly Tigger is a great player with the best mental focus I've ever seen.

-Kevin

emjaya
06-17-08, 06:18 PM
Did you hear Johnny Miller's comment yesterday that he wished he could have played on fairways that nice?
-Kevin

No, but I did hear one comentater say he wished that he had played against that field in the 1973 Open. :D

Woods can only play on todays courses. What is he supposed to do? :\

oddlycalm
06-17-08, 06:44 PM
it's going to be one of those discussions like comparing baseball players from different eras.
Agreed. I got to see Snead, Palmer and Nicklaus play as a kid (thanks to GM for those tickets) and my first set of clubs had hickory shafts. I've seen Tiger play several times and it's hard to make direct comparisons. Part of it is that the impact is just so much greater when you're a kid. Sunday at the Buick Open when your 12 is right up there with the F1 at the Glen or Indy. It's just huge.

I'm tempted to say the competition was tougher back in the day because so many hall of fame players were playing, but I'd probably be proven wrong by a statistics wonk. About all you can say with certainty is that Jack was the best of his era and Woods is the best of this era.

What is more interesting to me is that the game can be played with great athleticism or with tactics and skill, as in billiards. Nobody would argue that Woods is a world class athlete and while Rocco is a reasonably fit guy for 45, he's not much of an athlete and never has been. That's what made Sunday and Monday so fascinating to me. The media story was David and Goliath, but it was just as much about old school vs modern play. Way cool. :thumbup:

oc

WickerBill
06-17-08, 06:48 PM
Woods has no better equipment than the rest of the field, just like Jack didn't have better equipment than the rest of the field.

Woods plays, in my opinion, against significantly better competition top to bottom each week than Jack did. But all Jack could do was beat the guys against him, and all Tiger can do is beat the guys (and courses) he's up against.

Tiger won't be playing in 2015. I think we should enjoy it. Calling him cutesy names (ahem) because he is approaching records you don't want to see broken indicates more about you than him.

Ed_Severson
06-17-08, 06:53 PM
I think the equipment argument is a bit disingenuous, because every player in this era has access to the same equipment, just like every player in the days of Palmer and Nicklaus has access to the best equipment available at the time. Courses have gotten longer in response to the yardage gains brought on by better technology, too, so it's really a hollow point to bring up.

Woods has done more to change the way golf is played around the world than anyone who has ever come before him, he's the best putter ever, and he's more intimidating to the remainder of the best players in the world than Hogan, Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Jones, or anyone else. He's going to retire owning every worthwhile record in professional golf.

The fact that the guy is 32 and we can already have a legitimate discussion about whether he's the greatest player ever simply means that in another ten years, this sort of conversation will be utterly one-sided.

Indy
06-17-08, 08:29 PM
The fact that the guy is 32 and we can already have a legitimate discussion about whether he's the greatest player ever simply means that in another ten years, this sort of conversation will be utterly one-sided.

It's golf, so it's utterly pointless, anyway.

dando
06-17-08, 08:54 PM
Tiger won't be playing in 2015. I think we should enjoy it. Calling him cutesy names (ahem) because he is approaching records you don't want to see broken indicates more about you than him.

Green and Yellow Jeebus ring any bells, WB? :laugh: Touche. I said I respect what he's accomplished thus far, but I have some issues with how he conducts himself @ times on the course (recall the kill the photog comment last season?). As far as the competition goes, it's all relative, but I'm not going to say that the likes of Palmer (in the 60s), Player, Trevino, Miller, Watson, Weiskopf, Snead, etc. were pushovers. All that needs to be said about what Jack accomplished vs. Tigger is this:

Nicklaus won the Masters in 1965 and 1966, becoming the first consecutive winner of this event. He set a tournament record of 271 in the 1965 Masters, which lasted until Tiger Woods shot 270 in 1997.

32 years. Think about the differences b/w now and then with the sticks and balls, etc. YMMV.

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-17-08, 09:00 PM
this thread is so full of whitey. that is all.

:gomer:

Sean Malone
06-17-08, 09:04 PM
Tigger is in a unique position as a minority playing a game of honor, so yes, he is a role model for many. Especially since the PGA plays up this aspect as a way to get more minorities and less privileged kids into golf. If you haven't yet, watch the movie I mentioned in my first post. It's set in the period around the beginning of the last century, and it's amazing to see how golf was a sport of kings back then. Oh my, how far the game has come since then. Frances Ouimet. :thumbup:

BTW, are race car drivers 'athletes'? :gomer: IMHO, if it's considered a sport, those who play it are athletes. I don't see anyone calling pool a sport. My $.02...

Oh, and you may not live in a shack in the woods, but you live where the per capita redneck population is pretty high. ;)

-Kevin

Golf isn't a sport.

Ankf00
06-17-08, 09:07 PM
Golf isn't a sport.

You telling me John Daly isn't one of the finest athletes you ever saw?

dando
06-17-08, 09:38 PM
Golf isn't a sport.

Sorry, but it is and quite possibly be included in the Olympics again. Billiards won't. YMMV.

BTW, Wiki sez it is, so it must be so. :gomer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf

-Kevin

Sean Malone
06-17-08, 10:25 PM
Sorry, but it is and quite possibly be included in the Olympics again. Billiards won't. YMMV.

BTW, Wiki sez it is, so it must be so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf

-Kevin

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8366/johndalype6.jpg

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8923/pingpongiq8.jpg

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9810/swimbf1.jpg

What was that you were saying? I couldn't hear you over the Russian swim coach's yelling. :)

Ankf00
06-17-08, 10:26 PM
the olympics have archery too, but it still don't make a s***.

dando
06-17-08, 10:51 PM
Wow. A lot of shizzle from those that don't play the sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

Whatever you want to believe, but golf is physically and mentally challenging. YMMV. I'm done with this discussion. You've picked the low-hanging fruit. So be it. *shrug*

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-17-08, 11:09 PM
Golf makes for a fun afternoon. Golf's extremely difficult.

Doesn't change the fact that 18 holes of golf doesn't require 1/10th of the physical exertion for me that 10 minutes of bottom div co-ed rec soccer does. The fact remains that John f'ing Daly's fat ass won 2 major championships.

Sean Malone
06-17-08, 11:36 PM
Wow. A lot of shizzle from those that don't play the sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

Whatever you want to believe, but golf is physically and mentally challenging. YMMV. I'm done with this discussion. You've picked the low-hanging fruit. So be it. *shrug*

-Kevin

Dooders, relax. Just trying to lighten up the Tiger hateball. I play golf three or four times a year. I'm horrible! An embarrassment to the game! So I understand the skill that goes into playing it. I also shoot pool and darts and have even played some ping pong as a kid. Each game has their world class participants.
Tomorrow I'll jump in my pool and see if I can do a solo swim dance routine and I have a feeling it ain't gonna be pretty. But all games/sports are not equal.
Tiger is a phenomenal golfer and will probably go down in history as the best to ever play the game, but he's no Great One, or Air Jordan, or Bo, or The Champ or Mellow Johnny in my book. And my book is the only one I care about, cuz I wrote it, well, it's a work in progress. :)

WickerBill
06-18-08, 05:32 AM
Touche indeed, dando.

(I'm writing this because I KNOW you're still reading the thread... I mean c'mon)

G&Y Jesus, for what its worth, was coined by two Packer fans I work with, and I brought it up here in the context of Favre-for-President types calling him that/thinking he's The Son of God.

I'm more of a Tigger fan than a Tiger fan anyway, so I guess I shouldn't have brought it up. You were complimenting him. :)

emjaya
06-18-08, 07:46 AM
Rocco Mediate:

"If anybody in this world goes up against Tiger when he's at his best, they are going to lose, it's just that simple, I don't care who it is. Was he at his best this week? He was pretty good."

"It's like a prize fight, no-one even expected me to be out there that long or survive and he had to birdie the last to tie me. Again. And he did it. He is who he is, there's nothing else to say."

And probably not Hemingway, but someone said it: :gomer:

There are only three true sports - mountain climbing, bullfighting and motor racing - all the rest being games.

Methanolandbrats
06-18-08, 08:11 AM
Golf is sort of a sport.......but it would be a great sport if the crowd acted like a hockey crowd........they gotta loosen things up a little and see who can put under real pressure. :thumbup:

Ed_Severson
06-18-08, 08:15 AM
Grab your pens, ladies ... we've got a whole bunch more fake sports to cross off the list thanks to the "fat guys don't play sports" argument!

http://www.metrospirit.com/Image/19.04/William%20Perry.jpg

http://wisportsconsin.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/fielder.jpg

http://www.theautochannel.com/callahan/2000texas/portraits1/spencer_jimmy01.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1320/1408067140_236dc13920.jpg

Insomniac
06-18-08, 09:59 AM
Nope. I'm just saying that the players today have advantages over players of the 60, 70s, and most of the 80s. Clearly Tigger is a great player with the best mental focus I've ever seen.

-Kevin

It's obviously hard to compare people who didn't play against each other, but you can easily compare players against their peers. Tiger's competition have the same equipment options and play on the same courses. Tiger is still clearly better than the rest. I've never really seen anyone compare the scores between players of different eras. They compare wins, which is the only level comparison you can make.

Insomniac
06-18-08, 10:15 AM
All that needs to be said about what Jack accomplished vs. Tigger is this:

32 years. Think about the differences b/w now and then with the sticks and balls, etc. YMMV.

Who does that speak to? That was the first major Tiger won. So no one between them, or Nicklaus himself who played in the Masters into the 2000s, could best that record. The the course was lengthened in 1999. I'm sure there were other changes as well. That doesn't say anything IMO. So if it takes 33 years for someone to hit a 269, is that all that needs to be said for Tiger vs. Jack? And that guy and Tiger?

dando
06-18-08, 11:43 AM
Reports are that Tigger is done for the rest of the year. Bummer for the Ryder Cup. :(

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-18-08, 11:45 AM
Reports are that Tigger is done for the rest of the year. Bummer for the Ryder Cup. :(

And all the haters. :)

Sean Malone
06-18-08, 11:52 AM
There go the ratings. Will they even bother to televise the rest?:confused:

Ankf00
06-18-08, 11:54 AM
Grab your pens, ladies ... we've got a whole bunch more fake sports to cross off the list thanks to the "fat guys don't play sports" argument!

all those guys save spencer (who's a complete spare and didn't even half the balls to get past 3rd gear in a Lola-Ford), are a ****load more fit and in shape than John f'ing Daly. all those guys get paid to run.

golfers walk. and don't even carry their own bag. and whispering when they take a swing is considered interference!

Ed_Severson
06-18-08, 12:23 PM
all those guys save spencer (who's a complete spare and didn't even half the balls to get past 3rd gear in a Lola-Ford), are a ****load more fit and in shape than John f'ing Daly. all those guys get paid to run.

golfers walk. and don't even carry their own bag. and whispering when they take a swing is considered interference!

I'm just playing by your rules. Welcome to the law of unintended consequences. :gomer:

Surprised that Tiger is done for the year. I kinda figured he's go into hibernation until the British, then do it again until the PGA, and then call it quits for '08. Makes me wonder if he actually made things a lot worse, or if he just came back really early.

Next April will be very interesting.

Ankf00
06-18-08, 12:23 PM
fractured leg & acl surgery :eek: ouch.

Don Quixote
06-18-08, 01:03 PM
He won the US Open playing on that. Wow. That's one for the ages, better than Jack Youngblood playing the Superbowl on a broken leg (or was it Fred Dryer?).

oddlycalm
06-18-08, 01:28 PM
Golf makes for a fun afternoon. Golf's extremely difficult.

Doesn't change the fact that 18 holes of golf doesn't require 1/10th of the physical exertion for me that 10 minutes of bottom div co-ed rec soccer does. True, but you aren't going to be this age forever. Long after you can't do the intense activity any longer you'll be able to play golf and it can keep you flexible, outside and toned up when you get to the point when you can't do much else that will. That's the secret, people of all ages and abilities can play, but it's insanely difficult to play at the highest levels.

oc

SurfaceUnits
06-18-08, 01:45 PM
Ping and Callaway are glad Danicle doesn't play golf or we'd all know real quick how sorry their clubs are :rofl:

oddlycalm
06-18-08, 03:32 PM
Rocco Mediate: "If anybody in this world goes up against Tiger when he's at his best, they are going to lose, it's just that simple, I don't care who it is. Was he at his best this week? He was pretty good."

"It's like a prize fight, no-one even expected me to be out there that long or survive and he had to birdie the last to tie me. Again. And he did it. He is who he is, there's nothing else to say." Yeah, Rocco understands. It was an absolue pleasure to watch both of them duking it out and Rocco's commentary simply made it that much better. Enjoy it while you can folks, 'cause nothing lasts forever.

oc

dando
06-18-08, 04:08 PM

That's some Roy Hobbs shizzle. :eek:

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
06-18-08, 04:54 PM
Ping and Callaway are glad Danicle doesn't play golf or we'd all know real quick how sorry their clubs are :rofl:

With her temper putting a weapon such as a golf club in her hand would open Ping and Callaway to all sorts of lawsuits!!

oddlycalm
06-18-08, 08:08 PM
Tiger won't be playing in 2015. I think we should enjoy it.
Good advice, even more so knowing the extent of the knee damage.

oc

Insomniac
06-18-08, 08:39 PM
I think if you can tear your ACL and fracture bones, 1. it's a sport and 2. you're an athlete. ;)

(So for Ank, golf is a sport, but Daly isn't an athlete. :D)

WickerBill
06-19-08, 06:32 AM
Daly is every bit the freak of nature that some guys in other sports are. Ever really watch him play? He barely lines anything up. He finesses nothing. If he's 140 yards out and can hit an easy, slow 9 or "grip and rip" a sand wedge, he's using the sand wedge, control be damned. He's more interested in his cigs and beer than his game.

Despite all of that, he still has won, and occasionally competes even today. If the guy had two ounces of self-control and would listen to a caddy or swing coach, he would win multiple tournaments every year and be near the top of the leaderboard in every major. He's probably thrown away more talent for the game of golf than Rocco Mediate ever had. That's not dogging Rocco, just showing how much I think Daly's thrown away.

To another point way up in this thread, yes there are Tiger bandwagoners, but I much prefer them to the people who started golfing because they watched Daly. :eek: Remember those clowns? His gallery looked like they all were given $200 and they bought a mullet haircut, Oakley Razors, and entry to the tournament.

At least Tiger's gallery doesn't look exactly like him. Err, that came out wrong.

dando
06-19-08, 10:57 AM
Daly is every bit the freak of nature that some guys in other sports are. Ever really watch him play? He barely lines anything up. He finesses nothing. If he's 140 yards out and can hit an easy, slow 9 or "grip and rip" a sand wedge, he's using the sand wedge, control be damned. He's more interested in his cigs and beer than his game.

Despite all of that, he still has won, and occasionally competes even today. If the guy had two ounces of self-control and would listen to a caddy or swing coach, he would win multiple tournaments every year and be near the top of the leaderboard in every major. He's probably thrown away more talent for the game of golf than Rocco Mediate ever had. That's not dogging Rocco, just showing how much I think Daly's thrown away.

To another point way up in this thread, yes there are Tiger bandwagoners, but I much prefer them to the people who started golfing because they watched Daly. :eek: Remember those clowns? His gallery looked like they all were given $200 and they bought a mullet haircut, Oakley Razors, and entry to the tournament.

At least Tiger's gallery doesn't look exactly like him. Err, that came out wrong.

Speaking of Long John, you've must check out this video a friend passed along a couple of months ago:

http://ozarksfirst.com/media_player.php?media_id=34761

I'm not sure whether to :rofl: or :shakehead. :\

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
06-19-08, 11:11 AM
^^ Nice . . . :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
06-19-08, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=Insomniac;234773]I think if you can tear your ACL and fracture bones, 1. it's a sport and 2. you're an athlete. ;)
QUOTE]

Who says he was injured playing golf? I'm guessing it's a repetative motion injury from kneeling down behind his wife :D

Insomniac
06-19-08, 11:47 AM
Who says he was injured playing golf? I'm guessing it's a repetative motion injury from kneeling down behind his wife :D

It was his tibia, I don't think it was from kneeling. :)

TrueBrit
06-19-08, 12:13 PM
Note to self: Don't EVER bet against Tiger

I had an informal lunch bet with a co-worker. He took Tiger, I took the rest of the field.

I hope he enjoyed the burger Tiger won for him....

Indy
06-19-08, 01:03 PM
Is Daly morphing into Jimmy Spencer? And was that Robert Clarke in that video?