PDA

View Full Version : One more race

nrc
05-20-03, 09:36 PM
CART needs one more race in May. This time last year Pook was talking about how CART could not afford to just sit idle during May. It takes them out of the spotlight for too long and it's much better for the series to have more events in Spring and fewer in the fall.

This year CART's European vacation was a good step toward weaning the series and it's fans away the former Indy 500. One more race would put a stopper on the "crossover" issue once and for all. If CART owners want to run the IRL they need to have a separate team.

Railbird
05-20-03, 09:51 PM
A third leg to the Euro swing (Portugal?) or a new show in either Mexico or Canada.

Is the great white north thawed out enough this time of year?

tantra
05-20-03, 10:48 PM
Personally, I really enjoyed the race at MIS in 1996.

Railbird
05-20-03, 10:55 PM
Can't afford to swing that one nowdays

for more reason than one.

nrc
05-21-03, 12:13 AM
Portugal seems to be what they're talking about on CART.com. If it can make the European vacation pay off for the series without too much hardship for the teams, OK. But I'd rather see them in North America.

Pook seems to feel they're stocked up on Canadian and Mexican races. Chicago? Detroit? They should invite the Mayors of those cities to Montreal and Mexico city to see how you can make a real race track out of a park and vice versa.

chop456
05-21-03, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by nrc
Chicago? Detroit? They should invite the Mayors of those cities to Montreal and Mexico city to see how you can make a real race track out of a park and vice versa.

The Chicago deal could easily swing in either direction. A race in Grant Park would be a logistical nightmare, as it's essentially a "T" intersection of 2 major roadways.

If someone can "get to" the mayor, or as you suggested, get him to one of the good races and sweet talk him, there may be a chance. He won't be strongarmed, but he IS exceedingly stupid, and if they roll out the red carpet for him, his own sense of self-importance might play in our favor.

Coursewise, Grant Park is doable, but it certainly won't be a Montreal.

pchall
05-21-03, 12:36 AM
A three race Euro swing and a great street race on Memorial Day.

Seems like a fine May to me.

rocket
05-21-03, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by chop456

If someone can "get to" the mayor, or as you suggested, get him to one of the good races and sweet talk him, there may be a chance. He won't be strongarmed, but he IS exceedingly stupid, and if they roll out the red carpet for him, his own sense of self-importance might play in our favor.

You're insults are sooo subtle chop...:rofl:

Kiwifan
05-21-03, 06:14 AM
Why do I get the image of Mayor Quimby from The Simpsons? ;)

Good one chop.

Rusty.

Ziggy
05-21-03, 07:18 AM
Take the cars to Belgium next time, drop them off at Spa. Run a race at this great race course

Ziggy

chop456
05-21-03, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Take the cars to Belgium next time, drop them off at Spa. Run a race at this great race course

Ziggy

Amen.

Warlock!
05-21-03, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Ziggy
If this were to happen, I would be so completely and utterly satisfied that my wife wouldn't get laid for months!

(at least not by me...)

Warlock!

Chaos
05-21-03, 07:36 PM
Canada and Mexico are now saturated markets, so adding another race in either country would not be feasible. Another race in Europe seems to be the best fit considering the circumstances. Any F1 track (past or present) would suffice.

Turn7
05-21-03, 09:30 PM
They need a race in Texas. May would be a perfect time for it. That and it would negate any people that go to the June IRL race from Houston.

Goosage would start gripping the second was announced.

Hink
05-22-03, 05:22 AM
It's really difficult to not covet Belgium.

No F1 tracks too close to the present please. (Hockenheim, Magny Cours, Hungaroring in particular)

Suzuka would be great if there was still the required Japanese interests.