PDA

View Full Version : Electricity

nrc
06-14-08, 02:32 AM
After 30 hours without, we have concluded that it's a good thing to have. Anyone want a fridge full of spoiled food?

cameraman
06-14-08, 02:36 AM
Unscathed besides the groceries?

chop456
06-14-08, 06:25 AM
If you'd have invited me BEFORE the food spoiled, I'd have been there and eaten it all by now.

Yes, electricity is fun to have.

nissan gtp
06-14-08, 08:03 AM
electricity, very useful stuff !

hope you water still works

extramundane
06-14-08, 08:35 AM
All it took was 20 hours w/o power in 107degree weather 2 summers ago to make one of these a necessity rather than a luxury:
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/3291/07132561000qlt900resmodie7.jpg

Naturally, we haven't needed it since, but I'm not complaining.

KLang
06-14-08, 08:58 AM
Naturally, we haven't needed it since, but I'm not complaining.

Yep, I bought a Honda a few years ago (there should be a thread here) and haven't needed one since. :) I try to remember to start it up once a month.

Rogue Leader
06-14-08, 09:18 AM
Yep, I bought a Honda a few years ago (there should be a thread here) and haven't needed one since. :) I try to remember to start it up once a month.

My dad did thta too over at their place, and same thing haven't needed it.

Spicoli
06-14-08, 09:20 AM
We are a SUMP pump family, and Monday, we went w/out electricity for about 20 hours. No spoiled food/beer (just don;t open the frigs if power is out, stuff will stay cold a long time). But the sump pump with no power? crikey! Battery backups suck, as they only last about 6 hours. My realtor buddy told me about a new system that is power off the city water pressure? Haven't looked into it yet, but sounds interesting.

Water in the basement sucks, we didn't get it very bad - maybe an inch or so.

Then i saw what the southern section of the state looks like. :( people lost everything. friggin nightmare.

yes. electricity is good. cold beer is usually better than warm beer (certain exceptions accourse, apply)

extramundane
06-14-08, 09:27 AM
We are a SUMP pump family, and Monday, we went w/out electricity for about 20 hours. No spoiled food/beer (just don;t open the frigs if power is out, stuff will stay cold a long time). But the sump pump with no power? crikey! Battery backups suck, as they only last about 6 hours. My realtor buddy told me about a new system that is power off the city water pressure? Haven't looked into it yet, but sounds interesting.

A small residential Generac system (or the like) might be a good idea for you. Assuming you've got nat gas access, or feel like getting a large LP tank.

WickerBill
06-14-08, 10:13 AM
My realtor buddy told me about a new system that is power off the city water pressure? Haven't looked into it yet, but sounds interesting.

Friend of mine just dropped about 40k into his basement, making it a true man cave, and wanted some serious sump pumpage. He's got a standard, a battery backup, and a hydro one. As long as he's got water pressure, he's good.

nrc
06-14-08, 10:36 AM
Unscathed besides the groceries?

Yes, we're fortunate. There was some flooding here also. Our sump well was pretty full and might have been a problem if we'd had another storm come through after the second one last night. :P

We are a SUMP pump family, and Monday, we went w/out electricity for about 20 hours. No spoiled food/beer (just don;t open the frigs if power is out, stuff will stay cold a long time).

We stayed out other than to throw a bag of ice in the fridge. The fridge was 55 degrees when the power came back on and the freezer was 36. Some of the less perishable stuff will be ok. All the fresh dairy and meat will go under "better safe than sorry" policy.

dando
06-14-08, 12:31 PM
After 30 hours without, we have concluded that it's a good thing to have. Anyone want a fridge full of spoiled food?

Bummer. So you were one of the ones affected by the thorms Thurs. :( Hopefully you didn't get flooded out as well. German Village got hammered. :(

-Kevin

oddlycalm
06-14-08, 01:18 PM
Sorry to hear about outages. Nasty band of stormage. I'm left wondering of we have some forum members that sustained severe damage given the geographic range of the storm band. Hope not.

oc

Andrew Longman
06-14-08, 01:55 PM
We were a sump pump family until we moved up more above the river. We always risked going without power until we put the house on the market and didn't want to risk losing the furnace, etc.

Bought a generator and literally have never turned it on.

Probably should just to make sure the bearings and seals are oiled.

dando
06-14-08, 02:37 PM
We stayed out other than to throw a bag of ice in the fridge. The fridge was 55 degrees when the power came back on and the freezer was 36. Some of the less perishable stuff will be ok. All the fresh dairy and meat will go under "better safe than sorry" policy.

Get cookin'. Lemme know what time to come over. :)

-Kevin

dando
06-14-08, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hear about outages. Nasty band of stormage. I'm left wondering of we have some forum members that sustained severe damage given the geographic range of the storm band. Hope not.

oc

The storm that kicked our @ss was a popup thorm that stalled over downtown Cbus for an hour and dropped a couple of inches of rain with some nasty winds as well. Cars flooded to the bumpers and a couple of feet up on houses. Some of the older classic neighbors like German Village and Victorian Village took it the hardest. :( The **** that hit Iowa and Wisconsin is epic in comparison. They're calling that a 500 year flood. Christ, just 15 years ago was a 100 year flood in that same general area and further south. :(

-Kevin

KLang
06-14-08, 02:56 PM
The pictures I've seen on TV of Des Moines look just like it did back in 93. Hopefully they don't lose the water plant this time.

Whole midwest appears to be a mess. :(

And we could use the rain down here.

Andrew Longman
06-14-08, 04:39 PM
The pictures I've seen on TV of Des Moines look just like it did back in 93. Hopefully they don't lose the water plant this time.

Whole midwest appears to be a mess. :(

And we could use the rain down here.

Supposedly worse than 93

We could use some rain over here too. Odd too. Our weather usually was there weather a few day earlier, but ours has been coming from the South instead for weeks

cameraman
06-14-08, 10:04 PM
Beyond it being a little cool the weather has been quite nice in Utah. Salt Lake never gets extreme weather of any kind. A really bad storm is pretty mild by midwest standards.

dando
06-14-08, 10:18 PM
Beyond it being a little cool the weather has been quite nice in Utah. Salt Lake never gets extreme weather of any kind. A really bad storm is pretty mild by midwest standards.

Dude, y'all had a tornado DOWNTOWN ~10 years ago, IIRC.

-Kevin

cameraman
06-14-08, 10:22 PM
Dude, y'all had a tornado DOWNTOWN ~10 years ago, IIRC.

-Kevin

Yeah our major storm of the decade and it was an F0.

dando
06-14-08, 11:30 PM
We could use some rain over here too. Odd too. Our weather usually was there weather a few day earlier, but ours has been coming from the South instead for weeks

It's all of the hot air coming out of DC. :gomer: Looks like y'all just missed out on some 2"+ funness today. I'm sure Iowa would like to share some. :(

-Kevin

dando
06-14-08, 11:47 PM
Yeah our major storm of the decade and it was an F0.

Well, y'all are +1 on downtown Cbus in the twister scorecard. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

KLang
06-15-08, 08:20 AM
Supposedly worse than 93

The problems sure seem to be more widespread then in '93.

Methanolandbrats
06-15-08, 08:55 AM
93 was drought compared to this. Southern WI cannot be described. Whole towns destroyed, no way in and out of others, interstates closed, etc.... I'm glad I live on a little hill 25 feet above city sewer lines and my lot slopes down from the house in all directions. All my neighbors are screwed :(

WickerBill
06-15-08, 09:15 AM
This would have never happened when Brett Favre was playing.*

* Not trying to make light of the situation, hopefully just adding a quick smile at my own expense

Methanolandbrats
06-15-08, 09:16 AM
This would have never happened when Brett Favre was playing.*

* Not trying to make light of the situation, hopefully just adding a quick smile at my own expense
:laugh: