PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarianism?

Indy
06-13-08, 08:49 PM
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being."
Mahatma Gandhi, statesman and philosopher

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
Pythagoras, mathematician

"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty."
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men."
Leonardo da Vinci, artist and scientist

"To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of man. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous. And that is the unpardonable crime."
Romain Rolland, author, Nobel Prize 1915

"If a group of beings from another planet were to land on Earth -- beings who considered themselves as superior to you as you feel yourself to be to other animals -- would you concede them the rights over you that you assume over other animals?"
George Bernard Shaw, playwright, Nobel Prize 1925

"What is it that should trace the insuperable line? ...The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
Jeremy Bentham, philosopher

"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought."
Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize 1978

"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln, 16th U.S. President

"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, essayist

"As long as there are slaughterhouses, there will be battlefields."
"What I think about vivisection is that if people admit that they have the right to take or endanger the life of living beings for the benefit of many, there will be no limit to their cruelty."
Leo Tolstoy author

"I cannot fish without falling a little in self-respect...always when I have done I feel it would have been better if I had not fished."
Henry David Thoreau, author

"While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth?"
"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research."
George Bernard Shaw

"I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't...The pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further."
Mark Twain, author

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
Thomas Edison, inventor

What do you think?

grungex
06-13-08, 08:52 PM
I think I've been a vegetarian my entire life.

RusH
06-13-08, 09:05 PM
view thread at own risk

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=2196663&enterthread=y

heck...u asked...right?:\

Methanolandbrats
06-13-08, 10:29 PM
I think if chickens were smarter, larger and faster they would eat me, so for now I win. A couple million years from now....who knows.

Sean Malone
06-13-08, 11:29 PM
It's much easier to take the intellectual high ground by romanticizing the abstinence of eating animals but I do eat animals and I enjoy eating animals.

There could come a day again where commercial processing and markets filled with packaged meat is not readily available. My mother tells of stories how she remembers her mother butchering and preparing the chicken for daily supper and of her uncles hunting dear in the Minnesota woods, not for sport, but for food. These people had a deep appreciation for the animal both alive and as a meal. Much more so than today's general society.

Take my wife for instance. She can't even touch an uncooked chicken piece and she turns away when I'm piecing out a whole chicken. If packaged meat disappeared tomorrow she would be a vegetarian, not due to any romantic philosophical notions but rather simply that she would be unable to hunt, butcher etc. She would be a vegetarian by default. If I weren't around of course.

Now, I try to keep in mind where my expensive, delicious, mouth watering steak that was grilled to perfection and devoured in a orgasmic like trance came from. What gets me is the mass butcherings for things like McDonalds hamburgers. There is no reason why a McDonalds Big Mac isn't made from soy beans. Hell, you can't taste the hamburger meat anyway!

But what would we do with all of the animals? Do vegetarians realize what an absolute pest deer are if not controlled? So are we supposed to kill them but not consume them?

I tip my hat to those whose heart tells them to be a vegetarian. It's not easy. The friends I have who are vegan struggle constantly to maintain their health, even with constant medical advisement.

But, I respect my food, and I love nature and I don't take things for granted and to the animals I have devoured and will devour...I salute you.

Grill On.

Sean O'Gorman
06-13-08, 11:33 PM
I fail to see what this thread has to do with bacon.

STD
06-14-08, 12:05 AM
Needs more Nugent. :laugh:

Tony George
06-14-08, 12:52 AM
You know who else was a vegetarian?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7d/Adolf_Hitler_cph_3a48970.jpg/443px-Adolf_Hitler_cph_3a48970.jpg

grungex
06-14-08, 07:34 AM

:rofl::rofl:

WickerBill
06-14-08, 07:44 AM
What makes a living animal so much more important than a living, growing plant? Eyeballs?

There's nothing wrong at all with being a vegetarian. Likewise, there's nothing wrong at all with hunters eating prey. I should never look down my nose at a vegetarian, and they likewise should not look down their nose at me. It is a choice and has (the key point here) absolutely nothing to do with morality. Those who try to make it so, no matter how impressive their name is (see above), have an agenda or a superiority complex.

In my opinion.

eiregosod
06-14-08, 09:07 AM
Needs more Nugent. :laugh:

shooting tame animals on the farm. yeeeeeeeeeeeee hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

stroker
06-14-08, 09:16 AM
Please, stop eating meat.

All the more for me.

eiregosod
06-14-08, 09:22 AM
http://www.usmob.com/fleeced.jpg

Insomniac
06-14-08, 09:23 AM
What makes a living animal so much more important than a living, growing plant? Eyeballs?

There's nothing wrong at all with being a vegetarian. Likewise, there's nothing wrong at all with hunters eating prey. I should never look down my nose at a vegetarian, and they likewise should not look down their nose at me. It is a choice and has (the key point here) absolutely nothing to do with morality. Those who try to make it so, no matter how impressive their name is (see above), have an agenda or a superiority complex.

In my opinion.

I agree with you fully, except the part about an agenda and superiority complex. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on what is moral and immoral. Many societies have different morals, and none have a monopoly on being right in every area.

Full disclosure: I'm a vegetarian (my entire life), but have never begrudged anyone for eating meat. I fully agree it's a choice. I don't think less or more of a person because they are a vegetarian or not.

I'll answer your first question if you really were wondering though. Nothing makes a living animal more important than a plant or any other living organism. Generally, the idea behind that way of thinking is the least non-violence. And it starts with the organisms that have the most senses. Plants have one sense (touch) versus animals (5 senses).

WickerBill
06-14-08, 10:32 AM
Sure, but look at the quotes. Comparing to Nazis? Seriously?

STD
06-14-08, 02:12 PM
Bottom line you have got to eat. Eating what is or was once alive is the way it works.
The glorification of ones part in that chain seems a redundent consumed view.

Go see a fulling working farm.

I would not lower myself to comment on the Hitler deal.

dando
06-14-08, 02:36 PM
I don't have a problem with vegetarians. I like mine medium rare. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

cameraman
06-14-08, 03:22 PM
On a purely biological level Homo sapiens is designed to be an omnivore. The digestive system and metabolic capabilities work best when you eat a mixture of plants and animals (actually insects too but personally I'll pass on them). Anyone who claims that a pure plant matter diet is best for a human is seriously misinformed.

gjc2
06-14-08, 04:09 PM
We had a vendor at work who would tell anyone who would listen about his vegetarianism. He would say things like “when you eat meat you’re eating death”. One day he was in our office while we were ordering lunch, he ordered a chicken salad sandwich! I said to him “I thought you were a vegetarian” he responded “I’m the kind of vegetarian that eats chicken”

Then I guess I’m the kind of vegetarian that eats beef.

SteveH
06-14-08, 04:52 PM
http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/funny-graphs-peta.gif

dando
06-14-08, 05:14 PM
^^^ I'm a member of PETA, yo. People Eating Tasty Animals. :D

-Kevin

G.
06-14-08, 05:23 PM
Anyone watching that "reality" show set in Alaska? The Alaska Experiment I think. yep (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/alaska/alaska-week.html)

Those peeps was seriously craving the protein after a while. Slowed down their weight loss when they got some.

(yes, a balanced veggie diet can supply you with adequate protein, but I just don't wanna work that hard, when there's cow in the freezer.)

Bacon tonight (the kids are yelling for it :thumbup:)

dando
06-14-08, 05:28 PM

Speaking of bacon, this whole 'mater travesty is killing my BLT intake. :irked: :(

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-14-08, 06:30 PM
I guess we need a tofu smoking thread. :)

nissan gtp
06-14-08, 06:50 PM

:laugh:

oddlycalm
06-14-08, 07:13 PM
I guess we need a tofu smoking thread. :)
http://www.wheaty.info/profile/uploads/jHOcKlFtGTBp4/pic4_original.jpg

Could happen. I've had the commercial product in a pasta dish that was seriously good eats. Plenty of vegetarians in our neighborhood. I never thought I'd smoke a whole bologna either, but after I did one on Memorial Day for the neighborhood kiddies I've had a half dozen requests for a return engagement. :eek:

I'm guessing a sea salt and rosemary rub with 2-4hrs of smoke from alder or grape vine wood would produce a better tasting version of the store bought stuff. Might also be fun to go all redneck on it and try hot smoking it with some mustard and swamp venom rub on the outside so it would have a nice dark crunchy spice crust. :gomer:

oc

dando
06-14-08, 07:19 PM
Could happen. I've had the commercial product in a pasta dish that was seriously good eats. Plenty of vegetarians in our neighborhood. I never thought I'd smoke a whole bologna either, but after I did one on Memorial Day for the neighborhood kiddies I've had a half dozen requests for a return engagement. :eek:

I'm guessing a sea salt and rosemary rub with 2-4hrs of smoke from alder or grape vine wood would produce a better tasting version of the store bought stuff. Might also be fun to go all redneck on it and try hot smoking it with some mustard and swamp venom rub on the outside so it would have a nice dark crunchy spice crust. :gomer:

oc

Around here, hillbilly steak is a 1" slice of bologna fried in a pan. Good eats. :thumbup:

-Kevin

stroker
06-14-08, 07:43 PM
Anyone watching that "reality" show set in Alaska? The Alaska Experiment I think. yep (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/alaska/alaska-week.html)

Those peeps was seriously craving the protein after a while. Slowed down their weight loss when they got some.

not enough whale blubber up there for them?

TKGAngel
06-14-08, 08:45 PM
Around here, hillbilly steak is a 1" slice of bologna fried in a pan. Good eats. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Take that fried bologna and add some grilled peppers and onions and a slice of processed cheese food. Serve on a freshly baked kaiser roll.

Yum.

SteveH
06-14-08, 09:30 PM
I never thought I'd smoke a whole bologna either, but after I did one on Memorial Day for the neighborhood kiddies I've had a half dozen requests for a return engagement.

What kind of bologna did you use? Ring or loaf? :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
06-14-08, 09:31 PM

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7205/pacmancharthumortp3.jpg

Insomniac
06-14-08, 09:46 PM
Sure, but look at the quotes. Comparing to Nazis? Seriously?

You said everyone. ;) (I did too on the other side. :D)

Ankf00
06-14-08, 09:57 PM
if it's not your religion and you're veg...

ORDER YOUR OWN ****ING PIZZA.

morgahorse
06-15-08, 07:07 PM

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/stove_ownership.png

Methanolandbrats
06-15-08, 07:35 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/stove_ownership.png that's funny :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
06-15-08, 09:19 PM
I like how from a distance, this thread can look very work safe.

opinionated ow
06-15-08, 11:25 PM
If we all ate plants, there'd be less around to suck up the carbon dioxide we would exhale as a result of the exertion of eating said plants...

TravelGal
06-15-08, 11:48 PM
I like how from a distance, this thread can look very work safe.

Now THAT's FUNNY! :rofl::rofl:

G.
06-16-08, 02:43 AM
If we all ate plants, there'd be less around to suck up the carbon dioxide we would exhale as a result of the exertion of eating said plants...
Got any ideas for some plants that can absorb methane?

Wife's asking.:p

chop456
06-16-08, 04:01 AM

(yes, a balanced veggie diet can supply you with adequate protein, but I just don't wanna work that hard, when there's cow in the freezer.)

Are those the same people from the commercial that were going to die without drinking water while surrounded by 94 trillion acres of waist deep snow? :gomer:

oddlycalm
06-16-08, 04:05 AM
What kind of bologna did you use? Ring or loaf? :gomer:
Loaf of course, with the pics posted in the 'What are you burning for Memorial Day thread....:D

smoked bologna (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=232435&postcount=45)

rocket
06-16-08, 06:58 AM
Are those the same people from the commercial that were going to die without drinking water while surrounded by 94 trillion acres of waist deep snow? :gomer:

As long as I'm this far up the food chain, I eat animals, and I'm not loosing a bit of sleep over it unless they make me gassy.

chop456
06-16-08, 07:02 AM
You can't really eat snow to survive, it will cause stomach issues and lower your core temp.

I'm dumb, but not that dumb. Maybe. :gomer:

The people they showed were inside a cabin and the narrator says "They're running out of drinking water", while out the window is nothing but snow. Either the people were complete morons or the show was creating drama where there wasn't any.

I'd kill two birds with one stone and eat a Snow Leopard.

[Edit] You're a stealth editor. :p

rocket
06-16-08, 07:06 AM

The people they showed were inside a cabin and the narrator says "They're running out of drinking water", while out the window is nothing but snow. Either the people were complete morons or the show was creating drama where there wasn't any.

My original post seemed out of line, but since you can't kick my ***....

You can't really eat snow to survive, it will cause stomach issues and lower your core temp. You could put snow in a bottle and wait for it to melt, but you have to keep in mind the water to snow ratio. That ratio is kinda like your marriage, you see 10 inches of snow, your wife sees about 1 inch of water.:D

Now what was the topic again...ah yes Vegetarianism. As long as I'm this far up the food chain, I eat animals, and I'm not loosing a bit of sleep over it unless it makes me gassy.

There it is:p

G.
06-16-08, 08:50 AM
They kinda explain it, which was news to me, but I didn't watch it very closely. If it was on, I turned it on.

Essentially, you can use snow to wet you mouth (stop that!) but not much more.

Like dying of thirst in the ocean.

Ankf00
06-16-08, 11:38 AM

haven't watched a minute of that show but a) do they have the ability to start a fire and b) do they have a decent sized container to load w/ snow?

because melting your drinking water is pretty standard business...

Brickman
06-16-08, 12:10 PM
My daughter became a vegetarian back in her pre teens while looking up information about makeup and came upon makeup animal testing on AOL chatrooms or such.

Doesn't bother me as long as she gets the protein her body needs. 10 years... I was sure she would tire of it.

Methanolandbrats
06-16-08, 12:16 PM
haven't watched a minute of that show but a) do they have the ability to start a fire and b) do they have a decent sized container to load w/ snow?

because melting your drinking water is pretty standard business...

Would'nt the film crew have cases of Evian? I don't see the danger.

Sean O'Gorman
06-16-08, 12:37 PM
It all froze. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-16-08, 01:11 PM
It all froze. :gomer:
:laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
06-16-08, 01:23 PM
That might've been my worst post to date. Can I have a do-over?

extramundane
06-16-08, 01:32 PM
That might've been my worst post to date.

I sincerely doubt it.

Ankf00
06-16-08, 02:02 PM
I sincerely doubt it.

coolhand
06-16-08, 09:24 PM
that post failed {mine}