PDA

View Full Version : Web Photo Management?

Elmo T
06-10-08, 09:05 AM
I've been playing around with Google's Picassa to manage my photos and I've uploaded some so the Grandparents can access them. Some friends are using Snapfish. I know there are a bunch of others.

Any thoughts on these services? What is most user friendly? Do you use an online photo developing service? Does the Google program poke around with stuff on the computer that it shouldn't? Any of these seem better than the endless folders of unlabled pictures.

TravelGal
06-10-08, 02:20 PM
After two years, I am still dithering on this. I need something where the pictures can be organized into albums and individual pictures may or may not be labeled.

Also, copy protected, unlike Elmo who probably wants the gp's to be able to make copies.

dando
06-10-08, 02:52 PM
Don't get me started on Snapfish. :mad: :flame: OK, well, since you asked.....

I used them since 2003 until the beginning of the year. I didn't have any issue with them until last December when I experienced issues while ordering some photobooks for Xmas. I created two books and placed an order for them (these are to be given to the grandmas on Xmas Eve). After a week or so and no notification that they had been shipped, I checked on the order status. Cancelled. WTF? Calls and e-mails to 'customer service' and no idea why. Created the books and placed the orders again. Same result. No notification, orders cancelled, no ****ing clue from said 'customer service'. :irked: After a bit of investigation on the situation (being a Web Dev and QA guy), I found that a few pics that were of smaller size (< 1 MB) were apparently causing the books to fail. Keep in mind that these pics appeared just fine and were printed as photos and calendars through Snapfish. So I recreated the books sans the light weight images and placed the order all over again. Voila! This time it worked. I sent a lengthy snail mail to the GM and CTO for Snapfish containing all of my correspondsence, etc., and telling them that I wouldn't be back as a customer after ~5 years and several hundred $$$ spent with them. I never received the courtesy of a reply. :saywhat: **** Snapfish!

Anyway, I love Picassa to tweak images, but I haven't decided on whether to use it for my photos or Flicker. I better figger that out soon or it will be Xmas time again soon.... :-\

-Kevin

TravelGal
06-10-08, 03:20 PM
Speaking of Flickr. Friends are hiking northern Spain. They have posted lots of pictures. They seem to be in reverse order. Page 14 is the first photo, for instance. The "slide show" starts from page one and works back to the first photo. Is this normal? Or are they just doing it wrong?

High Sided
06-10-08, 03:31 PM
several family members of mine use phanfare.
http://www.phanfare.com/home.aspx

Elmo T
06-10-08, 03:38 PM
For photo developing, I've actually had very good success with Walmart Online of all places. :saywhat: I don't like using the site for cleaning up the photos.

I was looking for a one stop shop

rosawendel
06-10-08, 08:01 PM
Speaking of Flickr. Friends are hiking northern Spain. They have posted lots of pictures. They seem to be in reverse order. Page 14 is the first photo, for instance. The "slide show" starts from page one and works back to the first photo. Is this normal? Or are they just doing it wrong?

from the "your photostream" page, select "edit" under the group of pictures to the right that you want to edit. when you get to the editing page, select "arrange" at the top of the page. from the pulldown, select "date taken - oldest first". once the arrangement is set, select "save" to the left, and you're done.

love the flickr.

TravelGal
06-10-08, 11:08 PM
Speaking of Flickr. Friends are hiking northern Spain.

from the "your photostream" page, select "edit" under the group of pictures to the right that you want to edit. when you get to the editing page, select "arrange" at the top of the page. from the pulldown, select "date taken - oldest first". once the arrangement is set, select "save" to the left, and you're done.

love the flickr.

Gracias.

edit: ungracias. After creating another yahoo account since yahoo does not seem to want to recognize the one I have had for the last NINE years, I was finally able to sign into Flickr. I see "your photostream" but I nothing comes up because I don't have a photostream!

second edit: I should add that I can find THEIR photostream but I can't seem to figure out how to do the editing rosawendel suggests

Insomniac
06-11-08, 07:04 AM
Gracias.

edit: ungracias. After creating another yahoo account since yahoo does not seem to want to recognize the one I have had for the last NINE years, I was finally able to sign into Flickr. I see "your photostream" but I nothing comes up because I don't have a photostream!

second edit: I should add that I can find THEIR photostream but I can't seem to figure out how to do the editing rosawendel suggests

Sounds like you are trying to edit someone else's photostream settings. I doubt you will be able to do that. The owner would probably need to decide how they want their photos shown.

TravelGal
06-11-08, 10:56 AM
Sounds like you are trying to edit someone else's photostream settings. I doubt you will be able to do that. The owner would probably need to decide how they want their photos shown.

That's what I thought but I don't know Flickr. Maybe Rosawendel thought I was talking about my own stuff but it's a friend's that is backwards. They are walking the route of Santiago de Compostela. Call me crazy but I'd like to see it in the order they walked it, not the reverse.

rosawendel
06-11-08, 11:02 AM
well, poop. my bad.
yeah, that's what you can do to your own photos. they would need to edit their sets for you to see it that way.

it's a quirk of flickr that it loads photos in reverse order, and not everyone knows (or cares enough) to change the order.
ungracias accepted (and earned).

RusH
06-11-08, 11:27 AM
Anybody try http://www.smugmug.com/

??
not free, but free to try...looks good.

Insomniac
06-11-08, 12:24 PM
That's what I thought but I don't know Flickr. Maybe Rosawendel thought I was talking about my own stuff but it's a friend's that is backwards. They are walking the route of Santiago de Compostela. Call me crazy but I'd like to see it in the order they walked it, not the reverse.

Heh, he admitted he misunderstood you, but you could send the info to your friends. :)

TravelGal
06-11-08, 08:39 PM
well, poop. my bad.
yeah, that's what you can do to your own photos. they would need to edit their sets for you to see it that way.

it's a quirk of flickr that it loads photos in reverse order, and not everyone knows (or cares enough) to change the order.
ungracias accepted (and earned).

No problemo. Now I have a brand new yahoo address and at least a rudimentary knowledge of Flickr.

Heh, he admitted he misunderstood you, but you could send the info to your friends. :)

This a good idea. Maybe. I understand lots of rain and mud. Maybe I'll wait for the sun to come out before raining even more on their parade. I noticed they have the "pro" version though (PAID money!) so maybe they would welcome the comment. Maybe.

racermike
06-12-08, 12:16 AM
I have been using SmugMug for a couple of years now and like it.

I am on a pay-by-year plan, but the interface is nice and simple to use.

TravelGal
06-16-10, 01:47 AM
After two years, I am still dithering on this. I need something where the pictures can be organized into albums and individual pictures may or may not be labeled.

Also, copy protected, unlike Elmo who probably wants the gp's to be able to make copies.

Now that ANOTHER two years have gone by (almost to the day), I still have not found the time to pick a service and to put the best of my photos online. This summer is IT! I need them up for my reference if nothing else.

So, any further thoughts from you folks? My nephew uses Shutterfly and loves it. Is SmugMug worth the $$$? Is the lead in level sufficient for a novice?

Thanks.

Elmo T
06-16-10, 09:32 AM
Now that ANOTHER two years have gone by (almost to the day),

:laugh:

I just ordered prints from Snapfish through my Picasa account. Some things never change.

I've grown to like Picasa, but I still haven't found a print service that I am completely happy using.

dando
06-16-10, 10:03 AM
Snapfish

:flame: :flame: :flame: :saywhat:

They failed me again last Xmas. I ordered photobooks again (because they were far cheaper) more than two weeks before Xmas and they didn't arrive until 2-3 days after Xmas.

TG, I'll ping a pro photographer I know to see if he has any input. I've only dabbled around with Picassa and MPix, and have mainly used Snapfish for the past 7 years.

-Kevin