PDA

View Full Version : TV alert for space fans

KLang
06-07-08, 12:39 PM
When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions.

New mini-series in HD on Discovery starting Sunday night. Previews look pretty good.

stroker
06-07-08, 02:35 PM
thanks for the tip!

If you haven't bought the DVD, get "Black Sky--the Race for the X-Prize". It's incredible.

G.
06-07-08, 09:16 PM
Thanks, K'.

I'm on this like stink on, er, something that smells bad.

Maybe Durian.

... its odor is best described as pig-s****, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia.

I had this. Words do not tell the tale.

tastes like ice cream soaked in aviation fuel. No, really. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian)

Back to topic, thanks for the reminder, I'm going to watch, mos-def.

TravelGal
06-08-08, 01:33 AM
Maybe Durian.

I had this. Words do not tell the tale.

You ate durian? OMG! I know someone who ate it! I know someone who ate it! I can't wait to tell my friends.

I promise to come visit you in the insane asylum one of these days. :D

Oh, and thanks for KL for the tip on the show too.

I know someone who ate durian; I know someone who ate durian. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

stroker
06-09-08, 06:31 PM
y'know, I found myself wishing as I watched on Sunday night that they'd had the ability to do a similarly comprehensive version of the show and include the Russian program accomplishments/difficulties side by side with the NASA program. It would have been fascinating to hear the interviews with the Russians talking about their program, too.

G.
06-10-08, 02:27 AM
You ate durian? OMG! I know someone who ate it! I know someone who ate it! I can't wait to tell my friends.

I know someone who ate durian; I know someone who ate durian. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.
May I mambo dog-freak (?) in the banana patch?

Tastebuds have healed, insanity has sort-of passed, and a damn good show highlighted by klang!!!!!!!

(klang, sorry for the high, jack!, but eating durian is more tougher than being shot into space!)

Watch this show!
Thanks, K, for the heads'-up.

Good stuff!

Tifosi24
06-10-08, 07:56 AM

I have also had durian, someone brought some into work last year. A fair description of its taste is ham, yes something you drink that taste like ham, except not as good. I will never take food or drink from this person again. I will reiterate, never except durian from anyone under any circumstances, unless you are making a business deal, in which case, it might not be such a bad idea, but have some water handy.

Insomniac
06-10-08, 09:04 AM
y'know, I found myself wishing as I watched on Sunday night that they'd had the ability to do a similarly comprehensive version of the show and include the Russian program accomplishments/difficulties side by side with the NASA program. It would have been fascinating to hear the interviews with the Russians talking about their program, too.

There was a special on the National Geographic Channel that covered that a couple years back. It was called Space Race: The Untold Story (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/space-race).

The footage is really cool. I've never seen most of that. I'm looking forward to seeing more footage from the moon.

KLang
06-10-08, 09:26 AM
There was a special on the National Geographic Channel that covered that a couple years back. It was called Space Race: The Untold Story (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/space-race).

I did see that when it was first broadcast. Good stuff.

Insomniac
06-10-08, 11:40 AM
I did see that when it was first broadcast. Good stuff.

I really liked it. With all the interviews you could see how big the battle was. It's still amazing what they both accomplished independently in such little time.

ChampcarShark
06-10-08, 12:38 PM
Great show, good for the Americans to continue on after they learned that Russia had sent a man into space.

I always wondered, how can they sleep in that tiny space.
Now I know, and after visiting the space museum in Alamogordo, NM

Dvdb
06-11-08, 12:29 PM
Watched "In the shadow of the moon" a few months back. Incredible. Interviews with all the men who went to the moon, sans the reclusive Armstrong. Highly recommend it.

dando
06-11-08, 02:29 PM
Bugger. The new cable box software has a bug, so sometimes the STB doesn't switch to the correct channel to record :mad:, so I missed the first two episodes, and the first show isn't being repeated again. :irked: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-11-08, 02:53 PM
Bugger. The new cable box software has a bug, so sometimes the STB doesn't switch to the correct channel to record :mad:, so I missed the first two episodes, and the first show isn't being repeated again. :irked: :saywhat:

-Kevin

When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions
Friends and Rivals

Jun 14, 9:00 pm
Jun 15, 1:00 am

dando
06-11-08, 04:17 PM
When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions
Friends and Rivals

Jun 14, 9:00 pm
Jun 15, 1:00 am

Actually, it's part deux (Ordinary Supermen) that isn't on the repeat schedule. :(

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.14710.25561.35705.1

-Kevin

KLang
06-11-08, 04:21 PM
Actually, it's part deux (Ordinary Supermen) that isn't on the repeat schedule. :(

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.14710.25561.35705.1

-Kevin

Note the length of Friends and Rivals is 120 minutes. It is actually parts 1 and 2.

The guide info for this series is all messed up.

dando
06-11-08, 05:04 PM
Note the length of Friends and Rivals is 120 minutes. It is actually parts 1 and 2.

The guide info for this series is all messed up.

OK, so what aired from 11-12am? They have another show scheduled during the same time this Sunday. :confused: I tried to find an episode list for the series, the page for this show is a joke.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/nasa/nasa.html

:irked:

-Kevin

KLang
06-11-08, 05:52 PM
OK, so what aired from 11-12am?
-Kevin

I think it was a reshowing of the first episode. I have all three hours recorded but haven't gotten to it yet. Next sunday should be episodes 3 and 4 and 3 again.

dando
06-11-08, 06:11 PM
I think it was a reshowing of the first episode. I have all three hours recorded but haven't gotten to it yet. Next sunday should be episodes 3 and 4 and 3 again.

That's just plain silly, but that is indeed the case.

Ordinary Supermen
NASA selects seven men to become the first astronauts. They're all test pilots, prepared to risk their lives. No one has ever survived a vertical launch on top of a rocket, but it's the only way they know to put an astronaut into earth orbit. NASA and America's first astronauts, the Mercury Seven, are on a journey into the unknown. Six of the men ride into space, each launch taking NASA further forward in their quest to conquer space.

Friends and Rivals
Nine new astronauts arrive at NASA - their mission, to test all the procedures required to land men on the moon and bring them safely back to earth. Each Gemini mission launches two men into space, leading to some of NASA's greatest moments - Ed White's spacewalk, the first orbital rendezvous of Gemini 6 and 7, and Neil Armstrong's first space docking.

Landing the Eagle
The Apollo program is set to achieve the ultimate prize of the Space Race, landing men on the moon. But a fire breaks out in the pressurized capsule of Apollo 1, resulting in the deaths of three beloved astronauts. However, NASA rebounds, launching men into deep space and landing Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the moon.

The Explorers
Apollo 13 puts the astronauts to the ultimate test, returning a damaged spacecraft back safely to earth. Apollo 17 sends man for the longest mission yet to the surface of the moon, but it's the last lunar mission for generations. Now, it's time for a new phase in the program. Converting an unused Saturn V rocket, NASA launches Skylab, America's first space-station.

The Shuttle
For its first 20 years, NASA launches capsules carrying a maximum of three people. But new requirements for a bigger cargo bay prompt a breakthrough in spacecraft design. The development of the re-usable shuttle leads to a revolutionary approach to space travel. Meanwhile, the pioneers of NASA's manned programs are leading the way into the modern era of the space-age.

A Home In Space
One of the most complex instruments ever built, the Hubble Space Telescope is expected to transform our understanding of the Universe. But once it is in orbit NASA discovers a serious problem, a defective main mirror. NASA sends a team of astronauts to fix the problem in its greatest and highest profile mission since the Apollo era. It gives NASA the confidence to begin construction on the International Space Station.

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-71602.html

:saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-11-08, 08:08 PM
That is Part 1 and 2. As KLang said, the guide data is messed up. On Sunday, the first 2 hours was parts 1 and 2. The one hour after, Ordinary Supermen, was part 1 airing by itself. No idea why it's that way, but there are 6 parts, 6 hours, 2 a week.

Insomniac
06-11-08, 08:11 PM
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/nasa/programs/programs.html

It's from the Program Guide link on the page you linked. I should've put up that URL to begin wsith. ;)

dando
06-15-08, 10:49 AM
Finally got to catch episodes 1 & 2....good stuff. :thumbup: Had to babysit the DVR and cable box until 1 AM since the STB failed again to switch channels for the 9 PM showing. :irked: Then I got sucked into watching them until 2:15 or so when daughter #1 woke up screaming and interrupted the show. Oh, and I ran out of gin waiting for the 1 AM showing while watching Feasting on Asphalt season 2 repeats. :mad: For some reason, FoodTV isn't running the entire series again, only episodes 1-4 so far. :saywhat: Can't wait for season 3 to start.

</bloggy>

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-17-08, 09:15 AM
Saw more fake moon landing footage I'd never seen last night. :D

Elmo T
06-17-08, 09:35 AM
We visited the National Air & Space Museum in DC over the weekend. It was a nice field trip to tie in with the series. You really get to see how fragile the lunar landers were. My wife said it looked like a 6th grade arts and crafts project. ;)

Gene Kranz :thumbup:

Insomniac
06-17-08, 10:00 AM
We visited the National Air & Space Museum in DC over the weekend. It was a nice field trip to tie in with the series. You really get to see how fragile the lunar landers were. My wife said it looked like a 6th grade arts and crafts project. ;)

Gene Kranz :thumbup:

An astronaut said it was mylar and scotch tape. :)

rosawendel
06-17-08, 11:24 AM
Saw more fake moon landing footage I'd never seen last night. :D

speaking of which, i heard there is a remake of capricorn one in the works.
i wonder if OJ will be in it?

Insomniac
06-26-08, 09:16 PM
Watched the final two hours tonight. Even though I already knew what happened to Challenger and Columbia, I still teared up. They had quite a bit of footage of the crews too.

On a side note, I really need to see a shuttle launch before they retire it.

It was cool to see the launch for the HST mission because they burned the solid rocket fuel boosters into space where they'd normally release the external fuel tank.

dando
06-26-08, 10:27 PM
On a side note, I really need to see a shuttle launch before they retire it.

It was cool to see the launch for the HST mission because they burned the solid rocket fuel boosters into space where they'd normally release the external fuel tank.

Me too. Even after unexpectedly catching the Shuttle launch last October while in WDW, I've got to see one of these in person as close as I can. I saw @lantis on the pad back in '88 (first launch since Challenger), but that's as close as I've been.

Get ready for another HST mission this fall. :thumbup:

I could have watched another 6+ hours of this series.

-Kevin

Indy
06-26-08, 11:44 PM
Will there be any more night launches? That is something to see.

Also landings are fantastic to witness.

Elmo T
06-27-08, 08:14 AM
<blog>

Even though I was just a small kid when it happened, I've always had a sense of missed opportunity with the cancelled Apollo moon missions. The series, along with a Father's Day trip to the Air and Space Museum, brought that back.

I've spent some time online reading up on the new moon missions. There are so many similarities between the Orion capsule and Apollo. The new lunar lander has a name - Altair. They are testing much of the equipment now. Contractors have been awarded for new suits, rockets, etc. It should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Insomniac
06-27-08, 08:19 AM

Also landings are fantastic to witness.

The next two, STS-125 and STS-126 for October and November are scheduled as night launches.

JoeBob
06-27-08, 11:08 AM
HDNet has been carrying the launches in HD. Not like being there, but a night launch in High Definition... HOLY CRAP!

It's like instant daylight.

Amazing.

Set your DVRs!

Ankf00
06-27-08, 12:26 PM

they're pretty standard now as they race to finish ISS

Insomniac
06-27-08, 07:23 PM
HDNet has been carrying the launches in HD. Not like being there, but a night launch in High Definition... HOLY CRAP!

It's like instant daylight.

Amazing.

Set your DVRs!

There was a night launch in March. :)

Gnam
11-14-08, 06:10 PM
STS-126: Extreme Home Makeover - ISS Edition

Blast Off Tonight - One nite only! 7:55pm EST.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-11-14-voa40.cfm

dando
11-14-08, 08:42 PM
STS-126: Extreme Home Makeover - ISS Edition

Blast Off Tonight - One nite only! 7:55pm EST.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-11-14-voa40.cfm

Crap. I turned off the "Gold" package from TWC...no more HDNet. I'll be in Orlando on 11/30 (WDW Xmas trip)....here's hoping for a delay in the return flight. ;)

EDIT: Damn to be in FL now. :(

-Kevin

G.
11-14-08, 08:51 PM
just flipped it on.

Thanks for the heads-up!

:thumbup:

dando
11-14-08, 09:11 PM
If I have to walk on broken glass, I will be there for the finale. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Gnam
11-14-08, 09:13 PM
NASA TV link: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

dando
11-19-08, 03:05 PM
Ooops!

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081119/D94HVGT00.html

Flight controllers were revamping plans Wednesday for the remaining spacewalks planned during space shuttle Endeavour's visit to the international space station, after a crucial tool bag floated out to space during a repair trip.

The briefcase-sized tool bag drifted away from astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper on Tuesday as she cleaned and lubed a gummed-up joint on a wing of solar panels on the space station. She and fellow astronaut Stephen Bowen were midway through the first of four spacewalks planned for the mission. The tool bag was one of the largest items ever lost by a spacewalker.

I hate it when that happens. :gomer:

The equipment includes a recycling system that converts urine into water, an extra bathroom, kitchenette, two bedrooms, an exercise machine and refrigerator that will allow space station residents to enjoy cold drinks for the first time. And the extra gear will allow the space station's crew to double to six next year.

The water recycling system was to be hooked up late Wednesday, and the first batch of urine would run through the system later in the week. Samples will be flown back to Earth for safety tests before astronauts can use it.

:saywhat: :yuck:

-Kevin

KLang
11-19-08, 03:30 PM
Hard to believe they wouldn't have a line attached to a tool bag. Getting cocky I guess.

dando
11-19-08, 04:34 PM
Hard to believe they wouldn't have a line attached to a tool bag.

First thing I thought as well. The article mentions that the bag the tool box was was tethered, but the box slipped out. Can't be easy doing a lube job in space @ 18K mph, tho. :eek:

-Kevin

Gnam
11-19-08, 04:36 PM
The equipment includes a recycling system that converts urine into water, an extra bathroom, kitchenette, two bedrooms, an exercise machine and refrigerator that will allow space station residents to enjoy cold drinks for the first time.
Couldn't they just put the beer in the airlock and use the blackness of space to chill it? ;)

nissan gtp
11-19-08, 05:39 PM
that's what they get for letting a woman try to do a man's job

:runs:

:D