PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Home Network

ChampcarShark
06-06-08, 05:33 PM
My lynksys wireless router just gave up the spirit and needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions, keeping my budget under 100.00

Hey, I only run 4 computers off the system, two wired, two wireless.
I been hearing bad things about lynksys, maybe the router is fine and the driver is bad. Could not do an update.

cameraman
06-06-08, 05:43 PM
You planning on sticking with a g-only network? Because I don't think any g/draft n routers are under $100-

ChampcarShark
06-06-08, 05:51 PM
If I have no choice maybe I will.
the system is only used to share the cable internet connection and the range is less than 100 feet

Sean Malone
06-06-08, 05:53 PM
My lynksys wireless router just gave up the spirit and needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions, keeping my budget under 100.00

Hey, I only run 4 computers off the system, two wired, two wireless.
I been hearing bad things about lynksys, maybe the router is fine and the driver is bad. Could not do an update.

Forget drivers, try flashing the BIOS. When was the last time you did that? One thing I like about linksys is their regular releases of BIOS updates even for aging equipment. Is it a WTG54G?

ChampcarShark
06-06-08, 05:59 PM
Forget drivers, try flashing the BIOS. When was the last time you did that? One thing I like about linksys is their regular releases of BIOS updates even for aging equipment. Is it a WTG54G?

Yes, all of a sudden it needs to be reset often and the signal drops constantly.

dough, i never flashed the router bios. will try that as soon as i get home

TravelGal
06-06-08, 06:06 PM
:rolleyes: In words of one syllable, how does one "flash the BIOS"? It sounds like something I'd see on Smack. But my router is beginning to drop signals pretty regularly. Linksys has said they won't support it anymore but maybe if I flash that thing.......

ChampcarShark
06-06-08, 06:15 PM
:rolleyes: In words of one syllable, how does one "flash the BIOS"? It sounds like something I'd see on Smack. But my router is beginning to drop signals pretty regularly. Linksys has said they won't support it anymore but maybe if I flash that thing.......

It is a bit complicated.
try this for step by step instructions...
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4030&lid=

Sean Malone
06-06-08, 06:20 PM

Simple. If it's a linksys go to their website and select your model from the long drop down. Navigate to their latest BIOS for it and save it to your desktop. Similear process for other brands.

Then through your browser type http://192.168.1.1 and log in with admin/admin or admin/blank since you probably have never actually logged into your router (your router actually serves it's own web interface). Once logged into your router navigate to the admin tab if I remember and it will have a button to 'upgrade BIOS' and point to the file you downloaded on your desktop (you may have to extract it if it's zipped).
Also, don't forget to check your router version (WTG54G v 5.1 etc) as the BIOS will be version dependent, the website walks you through that when you down load the file.

It's save me a few times on routers I thought were toast, but not everytime. A few times I've had to just go dump $80 on a new one. Sometimes it's worth the frustration. But the BIOS upgrades are there for a reason.

Good luck to you both!

Sean Malone
06-06-08, 06:21 PM
It is a bit complicated.
try this for step by step instructions...
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4030&lid=

even better! It has pictures and everything!:thumbup:

cameraman
06-06-08, 06:22 PM
Print the instructions before you start.
just to be safe and all...

ChampcarShark
06-06-08, 06:40 PM
even better! It has pictures and everything!:thumbup:

Did my homework before coming to the pros. :thumbup:
Thank You, will have to wait till I get home in about half an hour.

I already printed everything, even this thread to be on the safe side

Good luck TravelGal

dando
06-06-08, 06:45 PM

Precisely what saved a Netgear router I had after it stopped working after a move ~5 years ago.

-Kevin

cameraman
06-06-08, 06:49 PM
Precisely what saved a Netgear router I had after it stopped working after a move ~5 years ago.

Or after an Apple OS 10.4 to 10.5 change for me.

Cam
06-06-08, 07:25 PM
IMPORTANT! Do the upgrade over a wired connection. DO NOT do it through a wireless connection.

Sean Malone
06-06-08, 07:51 PM
IMPORTANT! Do the upgrade over a wired connection. DO NOT do it through a wireless connection.

That is highly recommended, although I've done the last five or six wirelessly with no issue. Risky, but I'm lazy.

ChampcarShark
06-06-08, 08:46 PM
Broadcasting from a freshly installed network.

Thanks a lot Sean. You just saved me a few bucks.
I owe you a beer.

After one and a half years the router still works, like new now.
One hour on the net with no problems.

I had all kinds of problems before, it actually was running at the same time a secure and an unsecured access. Tried to access the router and the password was not valid and the reset button was not working, also not able to access the web interface nor the router was recognized by the original disk.
Did the master restore, and was able to access the web interface and reset everything to factory default, then proceded with the Bios update and the security settings. (WEP 128) By the way all over a wired connection.

Hope TravelGal had the same luck with her issue.

Heard that time warner did an upgrade that messed up linkys routers.

TravelGal
06-06-08, 09:02 PM
Good luck TravelGal

Yar, thanks. As I thought, they really do not support mine any more. It's BEFW11S4 v.2. They list it but when look under Technical Support, the most ancient item they list is v.3.

Ah well, so back to ChampcarShark's original question, what do I get to replace it? Three computers and 1 printer are all I have ATM but I would probably want more than four ports because I'm needing a computer for the living room.

edit: Thanks for the good wishes. We were posting at the same time. Interesting about Time Warner. We got a letter in the mail today that they are about to do some upgrades in this area. Maybe I should wait for a new product until after they have done their worst.

grungex
06-06-08, 11:08 PM
If the only thing you use the router for is intardwebs access (i.e., you're not transferring lots of large files between your own computers), then a 'G' router should be just fine.

TravelGal
06-07-08, 04:27 AM
If the only thing you use the router for is intardwebs access (i.e., you're not transferring lots of large files between your own computers), then a 'G' router should be just fine.

Define large files. We transfer files almost daily but they are probably not what is considered large (not games, not movies or even videos--mostly spreadsheets).

I'll investigate the G (rungex) router. :D

Insomniac
06-07-08, 08:54 AM
Define large files. We transfer files almost daily but they are probably not what is considered large (not games, not movies or even videos--mostly spreadsheets).

He's talking 100's of MBs. I hope your spreadsheets aren't that big. Also, that applies only to wireless. You mentioned wanting more ports, those are for physically wired. Transfers between those machines would be much faster than wireless to wired or wireless to wireless.

Insomniac
06-07-08, 08:58 AM
Yar, thanks. As I thought, they really do not support mine any more. It's BEFW11S4 v.2. They list it but when look under Technical Support, the most ancient item they list is v.3.

Seems like they have some downloads for it here (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859878881&packedargs=sku%3DBEFW11S4&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7888178881B01&displaypage=download).

(Pick your version from the drop down. And just double check that the Version Info link next to the firmware download does say it is for v2.)

KLang
06-07-08, 09:11 AM
He's talking 100's of MBs. I hope your spreadsheets aren't that big. Also, that applies only to wireless. You mentioned wanting more ports, those are for physically wired. Transfers between those machines would be much faster than wireless to wired or wireless to wireless.

Plus going beyond G on the router doesn't help much if your wireless devices are still G.

If you do large transfers between wired PC's you might look at routers and/or switches that run Gigabit speeds.

cameraman
06-07-08, 11:39 AM
And the nasty little thing about dual band routers is if one device on a network is a g device, the entire network will drop to g speeds. You only get the n speed if all the machines have n equipment in them. I have to say that having a 5 Ghz n only network is nice. You can move video files or download a couple gb of photos without waiting.

Insomniac
06-07-08, 12:46 PM
And the nasty little thing about dual band routers is if one device on a network is a g device, the entire network will drop to g speeds. You only get the n speed if all the machines have n equipment in them. I have to say that having a 5 Ghz n only network is nice. You can move video files or download a couple gb of photos without waiting.

I did not know that. Same thing for B/G?

Insomniac
06-07-08, 12:48 PM
Plus going beyond G on the router doesn't help much if your wireless devices are still G.

If you do large transfers between wired PC's you might look at routers and/or switches that run Gigabit speeds.

And in TravelGal's case, the current router is Wireless B. She may only have Wireless B devices now. Also, if you're happy with your current speeds, then anything you get will at least be as fast.

grungex
06-08-08, 12:20 AM

:D Insomniac pretty well 'splained it...

TravelGal
06-08-08, 01:45 AM
Seems like they have some downloads for it here (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859878881&packedargs=sku%3DBEFW11S4&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7888178881B01&displaypage=download).

(Pick your version from the drop down. And just double check that the Version Info link next to the firmware download does say it is for v2.)

Been on that page. Nasty because they list my router (and the version 2) but all the downloads are for v 3 or newer.

Very interesting stuff guys. Thanks for all the help. No, my spreadsheets are not gigabytes. LOL! Mailing mailing lists and accounting data. TravelGuy keeps all that for me and transfers it to my computer so I never really notice the transfer time.

I do keep most of the stuff hardwired most of the time for security and speed sake but sometimes it's useful to be able to go wireless. Like in the days of yore when watching Race Director.

I've no clue whether my stuff is G or N or what. If the slowest thing is like the weak link of the chain, it's definitely the router. Laptop is next (about 5 years). Then desktop 1 (also about 5 years). Then printer (about 4 years). Then desktop 2 (about 3 years). As you can see, I'm overdue for a purchase. LOL!

Indy
06-08-08, 02:28 AM
Check out woot.com.

Insomniac
06-08-08, 10:06 AM
Been on that page. Nasty because they list my router (and the version 2) but all the downloads are for v 3 or newer.

I'm not sure why you're having trouble, but I find:

Firmware Date : April 15, 2004
Current Firmware : Version 1.45.10
Product PartNo : BEFW11S4 ver.2/2.1/3/3.2

WARNING: The firmware you downloaded only works
with BEFW11S4 ver.2/2.1/3/3.2.

I was able to get the links to the downloads.

Upgrade Instructions (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fmsword&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3DFirmware%2BU pgrade%2BInstructions.doc&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193768460837&ssbinary=true&lid=7874078881B14)
Firmware Version Info (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=text%2Fplain&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3Dbefw11s4v3.2 _fw_ver.txt&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193765043985&ssbinary=true&lid=7840378881B17)
Firmware (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Foctet-stream&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3Dbefw11s4v3.2 _v1.45.10_fw.bin&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193765043984&ssbinary=true&lid=7840378881B18)

TravelGal
06-09-08, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure why you're having trouble, but I find:

I was able to get the links to the downloads.

Upgrade Instructions (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fmsword&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3DFirmware%2BU pgrade%2BInstructions.doc&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193768460837&ssbinary=true&lid=7874078881B14)
Firmware Version Info (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=text%2Fplain&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3Dbefw11s4v3.2 _fw_ver.txt&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193765043985&ssbinary=true&lid=7840378881B17)
Firmware (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Foctet-stream&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3Dbefw11s4v3.2 _v1.45.10_fw.bin&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193765043984&ssbinary=true&lid=7840378881B18)

Weird. The link on the page you first posted does not work for me. :confused::confused: The ones you supplied do, however. Muchos thank you's.

Insomniac
06-09-08, 09:24 AM
Weird. The link on the page you first posted does not work for me. :confused::confused: The ones you supplied do, however. Muchos thank you's.

I hope it solves your problems.

TravelGal
06-17-08, 05:06 PM
I hope it solves your problems.

Update.

:D Good news; bad news.

Good news: In spite of instructions that were only remotely like what happened at each step, I did upgrade my firmware. Router works FAST.

Bad news: Now we get the message that Port 3 is toast extremely FAST.

LOL LOL.

Oh, and as to why I don't use it wireless. I have two different ISP's on my laptop. One Road Runner in SoCal and one Road Runner for Tampa. When I try to go wireless, I get a note on all the computers that there is an IP conflict. Any ideas on how to fix THAT?

Cam
06-17-08, 07:18 PM
Update.

:D Good news; bad news.

Good news: In spite of instructions that were only remotely like what happened at each step, I did upgrade my firmware. Router works FAST.

Bad news: Now we get the message that Port 3 is toast extremely FAST.

LOL LOL.

Oh, and as to why I don't use it wireless. I have two different ISP's on my laptop. One Road Runner in SoCal and one Road Runner for Tampa. When I try to go wireless, I get a note on all the computers that there is an IP conflict. Any ideas on how to fix THAT?

Possibly static ip address? Make sure that the wireless adapter is configured for dhcp.

TravelGal
06-17-08, 10:36 PM
Possibly static ip address? Make sure that the wireless adapter is configured for dhcp.

Will do when the new router arrives. I'm absolutely certain that when we installed this one, we were told that we should absolutely have a static IP. Therefore, you are probably correct, Cam.

Insomniac
01-25-09, 01:46 PM
Well, thought I'd resurrect this and see if anyone knows if you have the wireless network set to mixed mode (B/G) and all the devices are G, will it run at G speeds? Also, if you block all B devices, should it run at the higher speed or would the routers require rebooting?

I ask because I can't stream 1080p to my popcorn hour on 5.5Mbps of bandwidth. I tried to set the routers to G only, but they won't connect to each other.

No sense in replacing B cards with G ones if the router has to run in G only mode as well.

cameraman
01-25-09, 04:05 PM

G.
02-27-09, 01:37 AM
Ever figure it out, sleepy?

Related, I have a wl network that works fine with my 2 desktops. They can both hit the 'net just fine.

My new laptop, however, used to work just fine, but now it gets intermittent connection.

Would (sexy voice) flashing the bios on my router (end pathetic attempt) help this, or do you think the problem lies in the laptops internal card?

It's not a distance/interference thing. Same issue near or far from the router, while desktop works just fine. I pulled the cover for the wl card and checked the connections for loosyness.

Flash router, new laptop card, other ideas??

Thanks.

ChampcarShark
02-27-09, 11:09 AM

Related, I have a wl network that works fine with my 2 desktops. They can both hit the 'net just fine.

My new laptop, however, used to work just fine, but now it gets intermittent connection.

Would (sexy voice) flashing the bios on my router (end pathetic attempt) help this, or do you think the problem lies in the laptops internal card?

It's not a distance/interference thing. Same issue near or far from the router, while desktop works just fine. I pulled the cover for the wl card and checked the connections for loosyness.

Thanks.

I have the same problem with my new laptop (Vista). I turned on my old one running XP with a wireless card and it runs perfect.

I opted to use my old laptop to surf the net at home.

dando
02-27-09, 11:24 AM

Thanks.

Have you tried the laptop on other WiFi spots? If not, head out to a local WiFi spot (Barnes & Noble, Panerra, etc.) and see if it acts the same way. If it does, get a new WiFi card. My internal card passed on a few months ago after ~4 years, I put in a new card and I'm good to go. My guess is the card is having issues.

-Kevin

SteveH
02-27-09, 11:46 AM
At my previous employer some HP laptops had to have their motherboards replaced due to wifi issues. I assume wifi was on the mobo.

G.
02-27-09, 12:24 PM
A bit more detail, since this doesn't seem to be a me-only issue:

"Main" puter is wired to the net, via the wl router. The puter downstairs (pretty far away from the router) is on wl. I added a 7dB gain antenna to improve the connectivity (it is tucked away under a metal desk, next to a metal-framed couch. The antenna gets the TX/RX signal away from this stuff.). Both of these are running XP.

New laptop is a cheap HP/Compac with built-in wl card. It runs Vista. I have NOT tried it on any other network, which is (of course) a good idea I'll try. It used to work great, with pretty impressive coverage. For about a month or two. Now, it connects just fine (strong signal) for a few minutes, then loses it for a few minutes. But the signal strength indicator still shows a strong signal.

Wii is active and connects just fine, but I haven't played too much with the network connection, downloaded a few things, surfed Offcamber for grins, etc. Wii is right next to downstairs computer.

I can't think of any changes made that might interfere with it's connection (no new cordless phones or anything).

The internal card is not on the motherboard and is accessible under a bottom-side cover.

The laptop is probably still under warranty, but I wanted to see if there is an operator error/easy fix before I tread that route.

Things I'll try: Check the card somewhere else.
Unplug the Wii (I think I had the problem before I turned on the Wii networking, but it's an easy check)
Check the Compac website for tips.
Gently tap the card with a rubber mallet. :gomer:
Curse Vista and Bill Gates.

Others?
Thanks, all.

Sean Malone
02-27-09, 12:40 PM
A bit more detail, since this doesn't seem to be a me-only issue:

"Main" puter is wired to the net, via the wl router. The puter downstairs (pretty far away from the router) is on wl. I added a 7dB gain antenna to improve the connectivity (it is tucked away under a metal desk, next to a metal-framed couch. The antenna gets the TX/RX signal away from this stuff.). Both of these are running XP.

New laptop is a cheap HP/Compac with built-in wl card. It runs Vista. I have NOT tried it on any other network, which is (of course) a good idea I'll try. It used to work great, with pretty impressive coverage. For about a month or two. Now, it connects just fine (strong signal) for a few minutes, then loses it for a few minutes. But the signal strength indicator still shows a strong signal.

Wii is active and connects just fine, but I haven't played too much with the network connection, downloaded a few things, surfed Offcamber for grins, etc. Wii is right next to downstairs computer.

I can't think of any changes made that might interfere with it's connection (no new cordless phones or anything).

The internal card is not on the motherboard and is accessible under a bottom-side cover.

The laptop is probably still under warranty, but I wanted to see if there is an operator error/easy fix before I tread that route.

Unplug the Wii (I think I had the problem before I turned on the Wii networking, but it's an easy check)

Others?
Thanks, all.

Check HP/Compaqs website for recalls. I had to send my daughter's Vista OS HP laptop in last summer to have the MB replaced because the WiFi stopped working. They footed the bill, sent a box and had it back to us in under 2 weeks. Excellent service.
There were many models on their website that were affected. The cause was a faulty chipset.

KLang
02-27-09, 01:53 PM

Others?
Thanks, all.

Have you tried rebooting the router?

G.
02-27-09, 02:12 PM
Have you tried rebooting the router?

Yeah. No luck.

I rebooted it for another reason though, my 'net was down. Reboot didn't help that issue. Had to run the computer's diagnostic "repair" function and re-register my IP addy. This was last week, though. Laptop problem is pretty old.

Insomniac
02-27-09, 04:14 PM

Thanks.

I never got to the bottom of it. I have flashed both my routers with DD-WRT and it was such a pain to get one to act as a wireless bridge (all day project) and I don't want to do it again. So, instead I will buy a WD Green Caviar drive (I'm waiting for the new 2TB drives to come out into the channels) and put it in the PCH and will store my movies on that drive locally.

If nothing has changed in your configuration after it had been working for a while, then it would seem a hardware flash will not solve the problem. I'd suggest checking for new drivers and as others said, see if there are problems on other WiFi networks. I will have intermittent connectivity issues with my card from the exact same spot in my house. Every now and then (say once a month or 2) it will keep getting knocked off the network and Net Stumbler says there should be no problem.

Cam
02-27-09, 06:17 PM

Others?
Thanks, all.

Download Ubuntu live CD and see if the same thing happens whilst running it.