PDA

View Full Version : LeMans is nearing -- get the list of 55 entries

Pages : [1] 2

pchall
06-01-08, 06:50 PM
LeMans entry list (http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/pages/engages_gb.html)

Follow the hyper link and download the .pdf or just read the page.

extramundane
06-01-08, 07:02 PM
We knew Peugeot would fly at Le Mans, but I don't think this is what they intended.

gSsorp6F36s

And Tracy Krohn continues to impress...

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8437/848433articleimglarge1kq8.jpg

nissan gtp
06-01-08, 07:24 PM
^that was a HUGE hit :eek:

Gene was driving/flying, and is basically ok

The Spaniard ... was taken straight to hospital after the shunt and will be kept in overnight for observation. Although it appeared at first that he had a broken toe, it was confirmed to be just a hairline fracture.

pchall
06-01-08, 07:26 PM
Holy crap. :eek:

Of course, when you design a car that looks like an Unlimited Hydroplane what can you expect running in the wet except act like and unlimited that had its aero upset?

Any word yet on the cause? A mechanical failure like that which brought on the aerial show at Monza or did the car just get off course and upset?

Fio1
06-02-08, 02:52 AM
Are you telling me that every time one of these cars cuts a tire, or brakes something and goes into a spin, it ends up taking flight and having mother of a shunt?
Something needs to be done, because in every race one of these cars takes flight. When you spin you end up taking off? I don't know about you, but this is a little disturbing.

chop456
06-02-08, 03:08 AM
There's no problem. Just ask the idiotgrandson.

opinionated ow
06-02-08, 03:48 AM
Are you telling me that every time one of these cars cuts a tire, or brakes something and goes into a spin, it ends up taking flight and having mother of a shunt?
Something needs to be done, because in every race one of these cars takes flight. When you spin you end up taking off? I don't know about you, but this is a little disturbing.

It has happened twice. Both in unusual circumstances unlikely to be replicated-and with two completely different cars. Changing the rules immediately would be reactionary and frankly stupid.

pchall
06-02-08, 07:55 AM
Twice isn't always, but it might be only a matter of time before a car gets airborne and ends up in a spectator area.

I'm admittedly not a fan of the current "fendered central seater" design school and associated aero package developing out of the P1 rules, but two cars getting way too much air (both apparently without contact) seems like a situation that at least needs o be watched closely.

rosawendel
06-02-08, 08:00 AM
i thought i got an email in the middle of that one...

Indy
06-02-08, 10:04 AM
:fenderedcrapwagon:

extramundane
06-02-08, 11:23 AM
It has happened twice. Both in unusual circumstances unlikely to be replicated-and with two completely different cars. Changing the rules immediately would be reactionary and frankly stupid.

Actually, this is the 4th case of Euro protos getting significant air in the last month. And while all of the cases were different (and had some "help" from either another car or sudden surface changes), where there's smoke, there's typically fire, even if it's just a smolder.

Not that I trust the ACO to do the fire-fighting. God only knows what kind of "solution" they'd come up with.

Edit: Shoulda read Pete's post first. He nailed it.

pchall
06-02-08, 12:35 PM
:fenderedcrapwagon:

Good one. :thumbup:

Accipiter
06-02-08, 01:01 PM
The ACO will do something about this problem when Pugs fly.

Gnam
06-02-08, 01:17 PM
Canopy first into a barrier is not a good way to crash. I don't know what's worse: a design flaw or just a 'freak' accident.

cameraman
06-02-08, 01:28 PM
Physics say that if you get a large, light, flat rectangle moving at a high rate of speed and launch it off a crowned road it will fly.

Chaos
06-02-08, 01:33 PM
damn, 21 LMP1 entries (mostly from LMS) ... too bad ALMS can't get more than Audi to run by themselves.

Imagine a sprint race with just the LMP1 cars - that would be entertaining.

extramundane
06-02-08, 01:35 PM
damn, 21 LMP1 entries (mostly from LMS) ... too bad ALMS can't get more than Audi to run by themselves.

Dude, you forgot about the Autocon juggernaut! I mean, they were faster than at least 2 or 3 GT2 cars! :rofl:

cameraman
06-02-08, 02:09 PM
There are two rumored LMP1 coming across for the second half of the ALMS season.

The Charouz Racing System Lola Judd with Greg Pickett and Klaus Graf.
And possibly a LMP1 Zytek, which I will believe when it physically arrives on a track.

extramundane
06-02-08, 02:26 PM
There are two rumored LMP1 coming across for the second half of the ALMS season.

The Charouz Racing System Lola Judd with Greg Pickett and Klaus Graf.
And possibly a LMP1 Zytek, which I will believe when it physically arrives on a track.

The rumormonger types seem convinced that the Zytek is for Forsythe. Supposedly a Lola coupe coming too.

Like you, I'll believe it when I see it, and maybe then not 'til I see it twice.

Easy
06-02-08, 03:20 PM
Krohn has now written off enough equipment to have funded his way through FRenault, WSR and Gp2.

cameraman
06-02-08, 03:59 PM
Krohn isn't the only one writing off gear at an astounding rate.

TrueBrit
06-03-08, 09:06 AM
Not to be a nit-picking bastard but i don't think the Porsche curves are crowned as much as a regular street...

Either way that didn't look good...

Easy
06-03-08, 11:02 AM
Krohn isn't the only one writing off gear at an astounding rate.

I'm just admiring his overall body of work. Starting with the Lambo at Mid-Ohio in 2004 that was turned into a slider.

Sean O'Gorman
06-03-08, 12:36 PM
Mmm...slyders... :drool:

mapguy
06-04-08, 06:54 AM
The ACO will do something about this problem when Pugs fly.

I got that one.... :D

Well played, sir.

FCYTravis
06-04-08, 10:20 PM
I'm just admiring his overall body of work. Starting with the Lambo at Mid-Ohio in 2004 that was turned into a slider.
Tracy Krohn: A chassis constructor's best friend. :laugh:

cameraman
06-05-08, 01:51 AM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/car.jpg
:)

Rogue Leader
06-05-08, 07:54 AM

Anyone got a pic of that?

Accipiter
06-05-08, 10:15 AM
I got that one.... :D

Well played, sir.

I'm glad someone else thought it was funny. Maybe it just went over everyone else's head? ;)

Easy
06-05-08, 11:45 AM
Tracy Krohn: A chassis constructor's best friend. :laugh:

I wish I had introduced myself when I was standing next to him at the test days before the 03 Petit when he was in the Panoz GT series. Dude could heat his mansion by burning $50 bills. Did not know that at the time.

Anyone got a pic of that?

I do somewhere, I'll see if I can find, host and post. If I remember right it did actually still roll just not straight.

Accipiter
06-06-08, 08:35 AM
The word from Le Mans this year: Roofs.

Dome Judd S102:

http://motorsport.com/photos/lemans/2008/24h/lemans-2008-24h-eg-0523.jpg

Speedy Racing Team Sebah Lola Judd:

http://motorsport.com/photos/lemans/2008/24h/lemans-2008-24h-eg-0533.jpg

Another look at the pretty Epsilon Euskadi Judd:

http://motorsport.com/photos/lemans/2008/24h/lemans-2008-24h-eg-0478.jpg

grungex
06-06-08, 11:16 PM
The word from Le Mans this year: Roofs.

Dome Judd S102:

http://motorsport.com/photos/lemans/2008/24h/lemans-2008-24h-eg-0523.jpg

Now I finally understand why they call it Dome.

miatanut
06-07-08, 02:28 PM
Physics say that if you get a large, light, flat rectangle moving at a high rate of speed and launch it off a crowned road it will fly.

I agree, but I don't remember these happening so often with the '70's cars, which were going faster. Was it because the bottoms of those cars weren't so flat, and air would go through the area around the engine and transaxle? In a way, that's not so good either because the front would have lift and the rear wouldn't.

Maybe design the fronts with sort of big flapper valves in the area between the wheels and the central portion of the chassis. They would be sucked closed with downforce, but if the downforce under the front goes negative, they open?

FCYTravis
06-07-08, 08:04 PM
The 70s cars were a lot dirtier, aerodynamically.

miatanut
06-08-08, 09:43 PM
The 70s cars were a lot dirtier, aerodynamically.

Yes, but is the critical difference that the bottoms were full of holes and bumps, so they didn't make a good wing to take flight with?

pchall
06-11-08, 07:04 AM
Add one more roof. Epsilon Euskadi just got their second P1 into the field when another car was withdrawn. 24 P1 cars, 7 with tops.

Just the way we like it!

http://www.charl-art.com/Images/photo10.jpg

Updated entry list with pictures (www.planetlemans.com/le-mans-2008-entry-list/)

Also a .pdf download

Sean O'Gorman
06-11-08, 08:55 AM
Ooh, shiny cars. I feel so sophisticated looking at bright colored cars because they are expensive. :gomer:

extramundane
06-11-08, 09:02 AM
Add one more roof. Epsilon Euskadi just got their second P1 into the field when another car was withdrawn. 24 P1 cars, 7 with tops.

Good on Epsilon- if it holds together, they've got a pretty decent driver lineup in that 2nd car.

I can't wait to hear the whole story of that Lucchini's withdrawal. Sounds like a sordid tale in the making.

Ooh, shiny cars. I feel so sophisticated looking at bright colored cars because they are expensive. :gomer:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1368/attentionwhorevn9.jpg

Methanolandbrats
06-11-08, 09:08 AM
Ooh, shiny cars. I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at and my knowledge of motorsports history is non-existant
Fixed that for you.

pchall
06-11-08, 09:25 AM
Fixed that for you.

I did hyperlink that Lola T600 just because the Dome Judd reminded me of the beginnings of the IMSA tunnel car GTP years. SOG would have been, what, about - 5 then?

Now I finally understand why they call it Dome.

:thumbup: :D

If I was with the ACO I'd spec a wider cockpit to reinforce the idea that they are two-seaters and keep the P1s from looking like Unlimited hydroplanes.

pchall
06-11-08, 02:06 PM
Good on Epsilon- if it holds together, they've got a pretty decent driver lineup in that 2nd car.

I can't wait to hear the whole story of that Lucchini's withdrawal. Sounds like a sordid tale in the making.

Here's what Crash.net is reporting:

The Racing Box team has been forced to withdraw from the Le Mans 24 Hours after the #30 Lucchini Judd failed to pass scrutineering checks ahead of the race.

The car, which was due to be driven by Italian trio Andrea Ceccato, Filippe Francioni and Ferdinando Geri had taken part in the annual Le Mans test day earlier this month but only after the chassis constructors Lucchini supplied the ACO with documentation stating that the chassis complied with the same one tested by the FIA back in 2004.

However, it then emerged last week that the documentation was no longer valid with a replacement only able to be produced once the car had been inspected back at the Lucchini factory.

With no opportunity to take the car to the factory, and therefore no opportunity to secure the correct paperwork to allow the team to enter the race, the car duly failed to pass scrutineering and will not be allowed to take part in the race.

Not so much sordid as sad. Looks like a little team cutting corners and getting burned.

extramundane
06-11-08, 02:19 PM
Here's what Crash.net is reporting:

Not so much sordid as sad. Looks like a little team cutting corners and getting burned.

I read some stuff on a French site yesterday that, from what I could tell through my atrophied French skills, suggested all sorts of backstabbing, sketchy cash payments and other such things. Shoulda known it was considerably more boring than that.

cameraman
06-11-08, 02:24 PM
This was the same chassis that was withdrawn at the last second in 2005.
It is pretty clear something about the car isn't up to spec.

It has been replaced with the #21 Epsilon Euskadi with drivers Jean Marc Gounon, Stefan Johansson and Shinji Nakano.

FCYTravis
06-11-08, 02:29 PM
I'll bet DSC has something... lemme look.

Shinji Nakano
SHINJIMANIA! :laugh:

Gnam
06-11-08, 02:29 PM
Paperwork is not racing. :thumdown:

cameraman
06-11-08, 02:52 PM
Paperwork is not racing. :thumdown:

The only car to fail in 2005 and the only car to fail in 2008.
Might be more than just paperwork.

Ankf00
06-11-08, 03:51 PM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/car.jpg
:)

grungex
06-11-08, 08:57 PM
Hmmm, the Spike Lavatory entry is not so pretty... :p

http://www.planetlemans.com/wp-content/themes/tma/images/uploads/2008/03/_p8y0327-version-2.jpg

Linky (http://www.planetlemans.com/2008/03/05/spyker-squadron-presents-new-spyker-c8-laviolette-gt2r/)

pchall
06-11-08, 11:09 PM
Hmmm, the Spike Lavatory entry is not so pretty... :p
:rofl:

Well, it looks like they hit last year's car with the ugly stick a couple of more times:

http://img.racingpasion.com/2008/03/laviolette2.jpg

But at least it is derived from a real car instead of just a windshield and a pair of headlights. I've seen lots worse in Grand Sham reports. :p

devilmaster
06-11-08, 11:20 PM
http://img.racingpasion.com/2008/03/laviolette2.jpg

I haven't seen a front end that ugly since Han shot first... ;)

extramundane
06-11-08, 11:28 PM
I read some stuff on a French site yesterday that, from what I could tell through my atrophied French skills, suggested all sorts of backstabbing, sketchy cash payments and other such things. Shoulda known it was considerably more boring than that.

Hmmm (http://www.planetlemans.com/2008/06/11/racing-box-explains-their-forfait/)...

In the morning of the 6th of June 2008 the Manufacturer comunicated to Racing Box the will to check the car in order to confirm again the declaration of conformity of the 31rst May 2008. Racing Box promptly agreed. Inexplicably, on the 07/06/08 at 4pm, the date chosen for the inspection of the car in Lucchini’s atelier, the Managing of Lucchini Eng refused to check the car because Mr Giorgio Lucchini could’t move from his bed (caused by a backhache). Consequently, no one of the Managing of Lucchini Eng was present at the appointment , even if Racing Box had taken the car to their atelier as requested.
At the same time, the Managing of Lucchini Engineering Srl arbitrary requested the payment of Euro 28.000,00 as condition to release the “new” declaration of conformity . Said declaration was necessary to take part in the “24 Hours” of Le Mans. The lawyer advised Racing Box not to accept this illegal request because this request is an offence.

In connection with the denunciation, the Italian competent Police Authorities have proceeded to provisional apprehension measures of two people, who were at that moment in the premises of the Lucchini Engineering Srl, who, not only reacted vehemently to the Police intervention but also tried to destroy the said declaration. The Italian Police Authorities have seized the mentioned declaration as material evidence.

FCYTravis
06-11-08, 11:41 PM
These cars fly:

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1346256a.jpg

Methanolandbrats
06-11-08, 11:51 PM
These cars fly:

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1346256a.jpg Especially when a Japanese Pilot brakes about 200 meters too late and hits a curb sideways. Banzai!

cameraman
06-12-08, 02:37 AM
That really was quite the barrel roll.

opinionated ow
06-12-08, 03:16 AM
I can't wait! Fire up Radio Le Mans and no sleep for 24 hours!

chop456
06-12-08, 08:09 AM
Word on the street is that the Kruse Lola will be ready to race come Saturday.

opinionated ow
06-12-08, 08:58 AM
I can't wait! Fire up Radio Le Mans and no sleep for 24 hours!
I forgot to add, if there is a really nice person out there who would be willing to put it on a dvd for me-I would really appreciate that more than you can believe.

cameraman
06-12-08, 01:57 PM
Word on the street is that the Kruse Lola will be ready to race come Saturday.

In a kind-of sort-of way. There was no tub damage that could not be fixed on site and they are pretty sure that they will finish in time for the start of the race but it will be a wholly untested car at the start of the race.

That isn't how I would want to go into a 24 hour race.

extramundane
06-14-08, 10:13 AM
Tracy Krohn f'n sucks. Wrecked on his in-lap on test day, wrecked on his out-lap today.

Hopefully someone @ Risi finally tells him to take a hike. :irked:

Methanolandbrats
06-14-08, 11:35 AM
Jack does 7 laps, pulls in and :cry::cry: Trouble for the first Pug. :D

Accipiter
06-14-08, 11:45 AM
Tracy Krohn f'n sucks. Wrecked on his in-lap on test day, wrecked on his out-lap today.

Hopefully someone @ Risi finally tells him to take a hike. :irked:

As long as he can pay for the damage, that won't happen.

extramundane
06-14-08, 12:16 PM
As long as he can pay for the damage, that won't happen.

Yeah, but there comes a time when the ability to pay for repairs can't overcome the teams's distaste for having to make them. Money can't make make your team un-tired.

G.
06-14-08, 12:21 PM
I saw the question, but didn't catch the answer.

Where is Penske?

(I also thought that AGR would be there this year. Wrong-o)

G.
06-14-08, 12:28 PM
so, instead of watching one of the most famous races in the world, we get to see nascar practice??:shakehead

FCYTravis
06-14-08, 02:36 PM
Yeah, but there comes a time when the ability to pay for repairs can't overcome the teams's distaste for having to make them. Money can't make make your team un-tired.

There will always be some team owner, somewhere, willing to cash the check.

cameraman
06-14-08, 02:49 PM
I'm not impressed with the coverage. Lots of pretty pictures but no information. There are cars having problems and nothing is being mentioned.

Accipiter
06-14-08, 02:52 PM

Un-tired is nice, but not at the price of being un-sponsored.

FCYTravis
06-14-08, 02:53 PM
http://www.radiolemans.com

Turn down the SPEED folks, turn up Hindaugh and the gang.

cameraman
06-14-08, 02:59 PM
Gotta love wireless. Installing lights in the attic while listening to Le Mans...

extramundane
06-14-08, 08:02 PM
There will always be some team owner, somewhere, willing to cash the check.

For a while, perhaps. I understand Peter Baron is quite relieved to be no longer cashing a certain Venezuelan's checks; not having that over his head seems to be helping out his primary venture.

Un-tired is nice, but not at the price of being un-sponsored.

If the Krohn deal was necessary sponsorship, that'd be one thing, but Risi hardly needs Krohn's money.

extramundane
06-14-08, 11:19 PM
Cheques Villeneuve = 3-6 seconds/lap slower than the other diesels in the rain. :rofl:

cameraman
06-14-08, 11:33 PM
Anybody notice that Joss the Boss is leading in class at the moment?

extramundane
06-14-08, 11:53 PM
Anybody notice that Joss the Boss is leading in class at the moment?

And that's with a 'gentleman' driver in the car. Put 3 pros in it, and it'd blow every petrol P1 off the map.

So much for the "experts" who swore the Porsches wouldn't play as well in Europe.

cameraman
06-14-08, 11:57 PM
**** Penske and Honda for their ******** attitude of "if I can't win overall in my P2 I 'm not going to race" If you want to win overall at Le Mans sack up and build a P1 otherwise grow a set and race your P2s.

cameraman
06-15-08, 12:26 AM
:rofl:

"if you want to drive until you are 100 obviously you've got to drive in NASCAR"

David Hobbs

cameraman
06-15-08, 12:29 AM
Bloody hell, the 40 is in the garage. Although they are 14 laps up on the next LMP2.

cameraman
06-15-08, 12:39 AM
So did he say that the #16 Pescarolo is done?

Well it's back on the track....

extramundane
06-15-08, 12:45 AM
**** Penske and Honda for their ******** attitude of "if I can't win overall in my P2 I 'm not going to race" If you want to win overall at Le Mans sack up and build a P1 otherwise grow a set and race your P2s.

:thumbup: STFU and race, kids. I suspect they'd sweep the top 6 in P2 (and probably make serious inroads into the overall top 10); if that's not good enough, **** 'em.

extramundane
06-15-08, 12:48 AM
Bloody hell, the 40 is in the garage. Although they are 14 laps up on the next LMP2.

Well...looks like the next P2 just took care of itself for them. Funny that the Porsches are challenging for overall top 10s and the rest of the P2 field is self-destructing, just like P2 of old.

cameraman
06-15-08, 12:56 AM
Is there any place where you can get live timing that is updated more than every four minutes? ie better than lemans.org

cameraman
06-15-08, 01:04 AM
Let's see, McNish is running 5 seconds a lap faster than Gene.

Imagine that seeing as how Gene just fueled a minute ago and McNish is due in any minute now.

extramundane
06-15-08, 01:07 AM
This is the only other one I know of, but it crapped out a couple hours ago. :\
http://www.ris-timing.be/kangaroo/24h.htm

extramundane
06-15-08, 01:15 AM
So did he say that the #16 Pescarolo is done?

Well it's back on the track....

Officially done now, apparently. Not that you could tell from the $%*@ T&S.

cameraman
06-15-08, 01:26 AM
It's gone, just ****ing vanished off the t&s page:flame:

There are only 46 cars listed on the page. Odd since 55 started.

extramundane
06-15-08, 01:29 AM
It's gone, just ****ing vanished off the t&s page:flame:

There are only 46 cars listed on the page. Odd since 55 started.

Yeah, the T&S page started f'ing up the retirements a long time back. I kept trying to find the Cytosport car earlier and thought I was losing my mind. The only reason I knew it or the Pesca were out was thanks to the Eurosport stream at http://www.justin.tv/giac2007
(http://www.justin.tv/giac2007)

Poor Flying Lizards are running 9-10 seconds/lap faster than any other GT2. All for naught at this point.

cameraman
06-15-08, 02:59 AM
So is McNish just driving the whole damn race or what?

Nice of Magnussen to spin the car while the in car was live:laugh:

cameraman
06-15-08, 03:05 AM
and timing & scoring finally fails completely
:thumdown:

trish
06-15-08, 07:04 AM
You guys don't get Speed Channel? They picked up the coverage from 9 PM ET on Saturday through 5 AM this morning.

Edit: In fact, they are still covering it now. I thought it ended at 5 am since the guide had it listed from 9 to 5 and Speed said they'd take us to the end. But apparently it's actually been running from 9 PM yesterday and will end at 9:30 this morning. That's a lot of coverage.

cameraman
06-15-08, 07:24 AM
I've been watching speed all night, it is the aco timing & scoring that has been a mess. Cars disappearing, the whole feed disappearing etc. It is up now and it looks like they finally got it fixed.

extramundane
06-15-08, 07:52 AM
You guys don't get Speed Channel? They picked up the coverage from 9 PM ET on Saturday through 5 AM this morning.

Edit: In fact, they are still covering it now. I thought it ended at 5 am since the guide had it listed from 9 to 5 and Speed said they'd take us to the end. But apparently it's actually been running from 9 PM yesterday and will end at 9:30 this morning. That's a lot of coverage.

And, to add to Mr. Cameraman's comments, the Speed crew missed a ton of stuff. Keeping the Eurosport feed running in the background is the only way I knew about several retirements, spins, etc, because Speed was too busy running bits on the Wright Brothers.

trish
06-15-08, 08:09 AM
So no chance for Jacques team now, I guess.

RusH
06-15-08, 08:14 AM
Texas wins GT2! too bad for the vette, so close.

trish
06-15-08, 08:39 AM
Full wets?

extramundane
06-15-08, 08:43 AM
That's some, um, strategy boys. :gomer: :shakehead

trish
06-15-08, 08:44 AM
Now they have a flat.

cameraman
06-15-08, 08:55 AM
These guys have just lost their minds

grungex
06-15-08, 08:57 AM
I've just lost my satellite. :flame:

cameraman
06-15-08, 09:02 AM
Christiansen slowed to a safe crawl and won.

nissan gtp
06-15-08, 09:14 AM
the usual solid job by Audi, and Peugeot made some very odd decisions and had some dodgy pit work at the end

if it had been hot like it usually is, would the Peugeot have made it ?

extramundane
06-15-08, 09:23 AM
if it had been hot like it usually is, would the Peugeot have made it ?

Yeah, I think no rain = Pug victory.