PDA

View Full Version : CART pulls out of OW Summitt

Spicoli
05-20-03, 12:10 PM
I'm just getting word of this, obviously a few people scratching their heads on this one. Something about not wanting to support the I499???

I'll keep youposted if I hear anything more. Do the same if you hear anything.

Kinda wierd. Don't know if this is good or bad....Something's up???

Napoleon
05-20-03, 12:13 PM
here is a link to schedule

http://www.interactivesportsonline.net/IM351/IM351.pdf

Spicoli
05-20-03, 12:20 PM
Well, it appears they will have a few empty chairs.

FRANKY
05-20-03, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Spicoli
I'm just getting word of this, obviously a few people scratching their heads on this one. Something about not wanting to support the I499???

I'll keep youposted if I hear anything more. Do the same if you hear anything.

Kinda wierd. Don't know if this is good or bad....Something's up???

I'm perplexed. Vicki O'conner with Toyota Atlantic, David Clare COO Champ Car, John Lopes, were scheduled with a few CART sponsors FORD and Bridgestone and Speed Channel.

Better off not signing up than having an empty seat with nameplate.

Spicoli
05-20-03, 01:22 PM
Well, could this be a sign that something bigger is up? I would think that Pook & Clare have something up their sleeves. I agree that pulling out for no reason is not good. Hope we get a damn good one by the end of the week.

Time to fire up the "spyplanes" ;)

JoeBob
05-20-03, 01:44 PM
Did they pull out as attendees, presenters, or both? They're listed (along with ar1 :eek: ) as a past attendee.

I don't see what value they'd get by attending a conference, they're as close to the heart of open wheel racing as it gets. I can't see why they'd spend time and money being told what they already know.

Napoleon
05-20-03, 02:04 PM
Well it looks like Wilke is a fan of this site.

http://66.223.17.243/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002246

Spicoli
05-20-03, 02:19 PM
Wilke is a major tool, and a CART hater. The guy trolls all day every day. Then he cites undisclosed sources. But you knew that.

I think he used to be the sailor in the Village People.:flame:

Hink
05-20-03, 02:30 PM

Yup - that's the guy.

Turn7
05-20-03, 02:37 PM

:D :D :D

That was funny!

nrc
05-20-03, 05:29 PM
As I recall, last year Tony George was one of the keynote speakers (along with Eddie Cheever) and the best CART got was John Lopes on one of the panels. I was a bit surprised that CART wouldn't bring out the big guns, but maybe they weren't the ones to make that choice.

My guess is that CART gave it try the first time around and determined not to go back again if they didn't get fair representation the second time around. Of course they have no way of knowing that until the agenda comes out.

CART should let the Sports Business folks know they would be happy to continue to participating, but the event needs to be in Long Beach every other year.

JoeBob
05-20-03, 06:55 PM
Here's the AP Story on this: http://espn.go.com/rpm/2003/0520/1556930.html

nrc
05-20-03, 07:34 PM
I'm glad to see they pulled their business people but left their safety people. That's consistant with their free exchange of safety information position. I just hope the pull-out was discussed with Dan Davis and Al Speyer.

Besides their town meetings CART has also had sponsor meetings at many of their events on race weekends. They should keep doing their own thing. It's not like they're going to learn anything about promotion from the IRL.

RaceGrrl
05-20-03, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by nrc
It's not like they're going to learn anything about promotion from the IRL.

They might be able to learn how to appropriate a driver's history in one series and make it their own, i.e. Mikey Andretti, or they might be able to figure out how to promote no-talent wankers as "legends" of CART, i.e. Sarah Fisher.

Ziggy
05-20-03, 08:39 PM
It should be quite obvious to all concerned as to why CART chose to skip this "open wheel" summit.

It is a farce, a dog and pony show. No one is concerned about openwheel racing, this is all posturing for the benefit of IMS.

You saw the box scores from the "Freedom 100" didn't you?

Ziggy

nrc
05-20-03, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
You saw the box scores from the "Freedom 100" didn't you?

Actually, no. I can't imagine why I would want to.

tantra
05-20-03, 10:46 PM
Would you participate in a meeting with Fred Nation at the IMS during the month of May?

Chief
05-21-03, 12:50 AM
We were embarassed last year. Not because we weren't ready to respond, but because it was an ambush. I applaude CART for taking a stand against IMS propaganda or being it's victim. It separates the winners from the losers. "I Don't Know" was a lie. Denying it's impact last year would be a recipe for disaster this year.

Side note: I hope the safety conference goes as planned. I also hope the safety conference bans together to condem the the IRL chassis for the continued rash of injuries. Slow 'em down or find a way to prevent the concussions and broken backs on the ovals. It's too frequent and it must be stopped. The IRL must accept responsibility and act immediately.

FRANKY
05-21-03, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by tantra
Would you participate in a meeting with Fred Nation at the IMS during the month of May?

I must have overlooked his name on one of the panels.

nrc
05-21-03, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by FRANKY
I must have overlooked his name on one of the panels.

You have to look closely. Some of the IRL panalists have a little astericks next to their name with a note below in fine print that says, "Lips operated by Fred Nation."

An interesting comment from the story about the pullout. Anyone know what sort of comments they're talking about?

Saal said CART became more concerned with the summit because of comments made during this month's practice and qualifying for the Indianapolis 500.

"It did appear to be an unobjective and unfair environment," he said.

Hot Rod Otis
05-21-03, 08:54 AM
Who cares. This thing is a waste of time anyway. Has anything constructive come out of previous open-wheel summits?

Besides, with the sorry-@ss shape that the sport is in, holding an open-wheel summit now would like holding a Warsaw Pact summit AFTER the Berlin Wall was torn down.

KLang
05-21-03, 09:31 AM
If so many of the lemmings at TF and 7G are bothered by this it must be a good thing. :thumbup:

JoeBob
05-21-03, 11:17 AM
Here's an interesting take on CART pulling out: http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/6/044693-4826-037.html

pchall
05-21-03, 11:29 AM
Pook is in Europe again?

It speaks volumes. The fans here just need a transoceanic hearing aid.

Napoleon
05-21-03, 11:46 AM
Actually the articles take makes a lot of sense.

rabbit
05-21-03, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Actually the articles take makes a lot of sense. It would also seem to explain the lateness of the pullout. If it were indeed politically driven, I don't think they would have waited until the last minute. Unless they were doing it for maximum impact. CART is getting more headlines for pulling out than it would if it had gone.

rabbit
05-21-03, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/6/044693-4826-037.html

That would explain why CART didn't want its high-ranking officials at a public forum where dicey questions could arise. As a public company, officials would be subject to legal proceedings by lying, or subject to Pook's wrath by telling the truth if indeed negotiations are at a delicate stage.
It could also explain why Bernie didn't show up at Brands like many thought he would. Or if he was there, why he kept such a low profile.

JoeBob
05-21-03, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
It would also seem to explain the lateness of the pullout. If it were indeed politically driven, I don't think they would have waited until the last minute. Unless they were doing it for maximum impact. CART is getting more headlines for pulling out than it would if it had gone.

Yep. The Minneapolis Star Tribune rarely even mentions open wheel racing. Today, this "story" headlined the Sports Briefs on page 2 of the sports section: CART, IRL are feuding again (http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/3894225.html)