PDA

View Full Version : Montreal - I'm in!!!

Dirk Diggler
05-29-08, 11:22 AM
I got a call last night from my new best friend - tickets and hotel for the Canadian GP through his work, and my air miles did the rest!:D

But I've got an open day on Monday - so, what should I see/do in Montreal on Monday? I've never been there. Granted, it's a huge injustice to the city to only spend one day there, but I want to make the best of it (no car). Any ideas?

Sean Malone
05-29-08, 11:25 AM
I hear the strip clubs are top notch and stay away from side streets and alleys.

Ankf00
05-29-08, 11:43 AM
can climb mont royal or check out at Old Port. Old Port's pretty neat, old world european style,

Dirk Diggler
05-29-08, 12:15 PM
I hear the strip clubs are top notch and stay away from side streets and alleys.

My god, Malone, what you must think of me.

:D

Andrew Longman
05-29-08, 01:03 PM
Eat. :D

Its a city of great restaurants.

And there is good public transit so no car is not a problem.

oddlycalm
05-29-08, 07:34 PM
I got a call last night from my new best friend - tickets and hotel for the Canadian GP through his work
See, I told you those sexual favors would pay off....:D

Seriously, have a great time. Hard not to have a good time in Montreal.

oc

Dirk Diggler
05-30-08, 01:07 AM
See, I told you those sexual favors would pay off....:D

I have to admit, for a while there I thought that I was just wasting my time. But it just goes to show, if you stick with something long enough...:thumbup:

Fio1
05-30-08, 01:17 AM
I'll be there starting on Wednesday super early, as that is move-in day. We are staying in Longueuil. The team I work with basically has the whole hairpin taken up (between two drivers that have 30 & 50 guest respectively and two more with around 15 each). Suposedly we are invited to some dinner on Friday with Felipe Massa, but I won't hold my breath that Massa will be there....What ever, should be a huge cluster F***, but fun none the less. We have to be at the tarck before 7 a.m everyday, even if practice doesn't happen until 5 pm on Friday and the odds of 1 of the 4 guys not going off are Slim Borgudd. So, I'm betting it will be a 12-15 hour day each day. It will be cool to see the F1 cars again, at least we are allowed in the pits when we are on the track....I'll take pics and put them on-line somewhere. Thursday I am bringing (driving) one of our cars to the front straight for some press event. I get to do 1/16th of a lap...Maybe, they'll be some F1 car their to take some up close pics.

mueber
06-02-08, 05:36 PM
I'm attending for the first time. I'll be there Thursday evening, staying at McGill University. At this point, that's most of what I know, although I understand a Metro Pass is a good idea.

Can't wait.

Fio1
06-04-08, 01:20 AM
You won't believe me so I'll have to post a pic next week when I get back; but Lewis Hamilton & Adrian Sutil were on our flight from LAX to Montreal. They were in L.A & Vegas a few days enjoying themselves. Both of them are really friendly.

pitwall3
06-04-08, 01:40 AM
Great sports bar on Crescent street Ziggy's Pub. regular hangout for racing crowd. We had a great time there in 06. Definatley worth a look. Its right next door to JV's restaurant.

http://www.fluidicweb.com/webziggy/

Gnam
06-05-08, 05:58 PM
Don't forget the race will be live on FOX at 1pm EST.
At least that's what CBS Sports says... FoxSports doesn't have a listing. :gomer:

Fio1
06-06-08, 08:31 AM
Yesterday we brought our two support cars for a Bridgestone pit walk. It must have been at least 20,000 people showed up. Crazy!

Then we got to drive around the track in golf karts & scooters. But, you couldn't go fast because people were working on the track and others were driving in the opposite direction (golf karts don't go fast anyways). But, the best part was watching BMW/Sauber practice pit stops! I took great shots of that.

The sh**y part is that I am sick as a dog......

Insomniac
06-07-08, 03:32 PM
That was a great Q3 today. Looks like SPEED HD managed to get the HD feed instead of the widescreen SD one this weekend too. Tomorrow may end up being a race to see how long it takes for Trulli to spin and who can avoid the marbles. That last lap by Hamilton was crazy. He pulled out a lot of speed. :thumbup: F1 can't get a jet blower?

extramundane
06-07-08, 09:02 PM
Fearless Prediction:

http://i26.tinypic.com/35lvh9y.gif

Montreal owes him one.

Sean Malone
06-08-08, 10:45 AM
What time and channel? I can't find any listing for it. Grr.

cameraman
06-08-08, 11:13 AM
It is on Fox. 1 PM eastern

extramundane
06-08-08, 02:41 PM
http://www.noisebot.com/images/polish-red.gif

FCYTravis
06-08-08, 02:50 PM
extramundane wins! :cool:

What an awesome win for the Roundel boys - and one-two at that. Go BMW!

stroker
06-08-08, 02:57 PM
Karma's a bitch, ain't it Kimi? Why don't you buy Sutil a beer and maybe he'll empathize about some dumb bastard running up your backside...

:rofl:

devilmaster
06-08-08, 03:00 PM
Heidfeld isn't happy.....

- "since robert and I were on different strategies, i didn't make it too difficult for him."[to pass]

Insomniac
06-08-08, 03:30 PM
What a weird and cool race.

:thumbup: Kubica(mania)

Coulthard finally had a good result. Timo screwed Jarno pretty good at the end. I'm not sure how Trulli avoided spinning all race. Vettel looked a lot better than Bourdais. Massa seemed to have a good race from the back after Ferrari turned into FCR (sort of, they realized before he ran out of fuel).

I was waiting for the Renault brakes to explode. They were blowing off carbon like crazy. (On a side note, I wonder if they'll find in twenty years that stuff is cancerous.)

Since you're going to stack the pit stops, why not bring the #2 in a lap (or 2) early and change the tires? Then on the fuel stop they can put on the tires they like best. (Unless they already have the tires they don't like on.)

I admit I thought they were waiting to let Hamilton pit before deploying the safety car. Probably not what happened, but that was my first thought and then he didn't pit.

Is that 3 years in a row the stop light has caught someone out at Montreal? At least Hamilton took Kimi out. He was done no matter what. How many grid spots will he lose at the French GP? That light seems dangerous. How accustomed are drivers to looking for a stop light?

The championships have tightened up. Always good.

morgahorse
06-08-08, 05:48 PM
Hamilton and Nico will lose 10 spots at France.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/6/7902.html

Methanolandbrats
06-08-08, 06:19 PM
Kimi should have kicked his ass right there on pit road :mad:

RusH
06-08-08, 06:23 PM
That`s one small step for Kubica....<static>.........
and one giant leap for Kubicamania.

gerhard911
06-08-08, 07:22 PM
That light seems dangerous. How accustomed are drivers to looking for a stop light?

Obviously Kimi & Bob are quite accustomed. Lewis, not so much... :saywhat:

Most likely his visor was all steamed up on the inside after he realized he was third leaving his pit box :Mansel:

Absofugglinglutely :flame:

Methanolandbrats
06-08-08, 07:42 PM

Most likely his visor was all steamed up on the inside after he realized he was third leaving his pit box :Mansel:

Yup, Louie the Choker, would have been WDC if he had'nt stuffed it in the gravel entering the pits :rofl:

Insomniac
06-08-08, 07:52 PM

I can't think of a more laid back/non-temperamental driver. He tapped Lewis on the back, told him about the stop light and that was it. Danica would've gone ape &^%#! :D

Insomniac
06-08-08, 07:53 PM

If that didn't happen, what would've Kimi and Kubica done? Would they have raced along pit exit when the light went green?

gerhard911
06-08-08, 08:01 PM
If that didn't happen, what would've Kimi and Kubica done? Would they have raced along pit exit when the light went green?

That would have been very interesting & exciting to watch. It looked like Kimi had a nose on Bob (no offense intended). I am sure the FIA / Stewards of the Meet would have weighed in on the matter. Regardless, Lewis denied us the pleasure. :thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
06-08-08, 08:09 PM
I can't think of a more laid back/non-temperamental driver. He tapped Lewis on the back, told him about the stop light and that was it. Danica would've gone ape &^%#! :D

Kimi knew the car was junk, so it's off to the pub.:D

oddlycalm
06-08-08, 08:16 PM
Yeah, but that calm tap on the back and pointing out of the pit out lights was far more damning and embarrassing than an asskicking would have been. :cool: :thumbup:

Danica is a media story, not a racing story, and fortunately she'll never make to a series where it really matters what she does on or off the track. She behaves like what she is, a public school dropout with the charm and sophistication of a petulent 5yr old. She's a slip fit for formula :gomer:

oc

oddlycalm
06-08-08, 08:19 PM
Regardless, Lewis denied us the pleasure. :thumdown: Indeed, as well as fubar everyone's race that pitted with him. It'll take quite a while to live down one of the more epic cockups in recent F1 history. :shakehead

oc

Insomniac
06-08-08, 08:49 PM
That would have been very interesting & exciting to watch. It looked like Kimi had a nose on Bob (no offense intended). I am sure the FIA / Stewards of the Meet would have weighed in on the matter. Regardless, Lewis denied us the pleasure. :thumdown:

Yeah, it looked like Kimi just barely beat him to the white line. At first I thought they both went too far, then I realized there was another white line. That also showed the advantage of having the last pit stall. The 3 of them came out (as far as they managed at least) in the opposite order they went in.

opinionated ow
06-08-08, 09:26 PM
Is that 3 years in a row the stop light has caught someone out at Montreal? At least Hamilton took Kimi out. He was done no matter what. How many grid spots will he lose at the French GP? That light seems dangerous. How accustomed are drivers to looking for a stop light?

The championships have tightened up. Always good.

The stop light is not a new rule. If people will ignore it, they do so at their own peril. I have seen plenty of disqualifications from it over the years. No sympathy on my part.

As for Raikkonnen, if he had clobbered Hamilton he would have taken months to live down racism claims because people would have said he "bashed Lewis because he was black." Same as if one of the crapwagon drivers bashed Danican't.

Ankf00
06-08-08, 10:34 PM
As for Raikkonnen, if he had clobbered Hamilton he would have taken months to live down racism claims because people would have said he "bashed Lewis because he was black."

:rolleyes:

opinionated ow
06-08-08, 10:43 PM

I guarantee it.

Ankf00
06-09-08, 01:03 AM
I guarantee it.

Insomniac
06-09-08, 09:16 AM
The stop light is not a new rule. If people will ignore it, they do so at their own peril. I have seen plenty of disqualifications from it over the years. No sympathy on my part.

As for Raikkonnen, if he had clobbered Hamilton he would have taken months to live down racism claims because people would have said he "bashed Lewis because he was black." Same as if one of the crapwagon drivers bashed Danican't.

I know the stoplight isn't new, but it seems to be employed during races only at a couple tracks where the pit lane shortcuts the track. I know they all know the rules, but I'm asking about the danger behind it. You have teams rushing to do a pit stop, then a race to the stop light. Usually drivers don't race to come to a stop like that.

Your last comment is absurd. No reasonable person would think that.

Accipiter
06-09-08, 11:42 AM
Hey, check out what Hamilton said before the race:

"For me, more of a concern is the safety cars that there probably will be tomorrow, and not getting caught out like some of the drivers were last year. I know Fernando was caught out, and in the last few years Juan Pablo Montoya came out of the pits with the red light, and also Felipe (Massa) last year."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68098

:eek::rofl::laugh:

Methanolandbrats
06-09-08, 12:03 PM
Australian ;)

Gnam
06-09-08, 12:25 PM
I still don't understand why the entrance/exit lights don't operate off the same switch. If the pits are open, why not open the exit too?

I found it a little disorienting to see the Toyotas and Hondas racing McLaren and Ferrari. Massa sandwiched between Glock and Trulli racing for points paying positions? You don't see that everyday.

Anyone know if Vettel will be docked position/points for short cutting the chicane when Heikki was behind him?

Good race. :thumbup:

cameraman
06-09-08, 12:53 PM
I still don't understand why the entrance/exit lights don't operate off the same switch. If the pits are open, why not open the exit too?

They close the exit as the pace car is passing by.

opinionated ow
06-09-08, 06:16 PM

Did you see the crap Alonso took when the Spanish crowds laid it on Hamilton in January? F1 is not reasonable...

emjaya
06-09-08, 10:58 PM
Australian ;)

No. :rolleyes:

Insomniac
06-10-08, 08:48 AM
Did you see the crap Alonso took when the Spanish crowds laid it on Hamilton in January? F1 is not reasonable...

I don't recall, but I thought it was only a few people who crossed the line. Of course they're going to boo Hamilton in Spain, and they have every right to, but this is racist:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02_01/LewisHamilton_800x527.jpg

So, yes, they and Alonso caught crap for it, deservedly. But again, I recall it was only the few. Your comparison is way off.

Dirk Diggler
06-11-08, 11:23 AM
Yeah, but that calm tap on the back and pointing out of the pit out lights was far more damning and embarrassing than an asskicking would have been.

Absolutely. That was not, "You seem to have overlooked the light, my good man."

That tap and point was, "Nice going, **** for brains.":laugh:

oddlycalm
06-12-08, 03:58 PM
Absolutely. That was not, "You seem to have overlooked the light, my good man."

That tap and point was, "Nice going, **** for brains.":laugh:
Also, in front of all the team personnel. High marks for Kimi on that. :cool:

So, how was your day at the races....?

oc

morgahorse
06-12-08, 04:24 PM
On the Canada GP video now available by Formula 1, there is another gesture from Kimi that I did not see on tv.

Check it out http://www.formula1.com/services/play_video.html

trish
06-12-08, 07:26 PM
Do you mean when he points to his eyes as if to ask if Lewis is blind?

Gnam
06-12-08, 07:56 PM
this one (http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8421/kimifkyouux5lh6.jpg) :gomer:

tllips
06-12-08, 09:40 PM
I think I'm with Trish on this one. It seemed to me he was using the two fingers to point to his eyes. As in "Use your eyes! Can't you see the red light?!?!?!?"

Just my Opinion:\

Dirk Diggler
06-13-08, 02:16 PM
So, how was your day at the races....?

oc

Really hot and really loud.:cool:

Absolutely amazing city, as well.:thumbup:

Cam
06-13-08, 09:43 PM
You won't believe me so I'll have to post a pic next week when I get back; but Lewis Hamilton & Adrian Sutil were on our flight from LAX to Montreal. They were in L.A & Vegas a few days enjoying themselves. Both of them are really friendly.

Post up man!!! :)