PDA

View Full Version : Check out ESPN's top 25 drivers of all time!

Fio1
05-23-08, 04:27 PM
Big surprise is that they put {sigh} John Force above people like Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi, Alain Prost, Al Unser & Niki Lauda. I'd love to see John Force do a lap in any car on the old Nurburgring. :shakehead He probably doesn't even know how to drive stick. I won't even have him in the top 25,000 drivers of all time list, let alone 12th overall. :rolleyes: If I had to put money on him vs Milka Dunno or Marty Roth, it would be a no brainer on any race track where you actually have to DRIVE the car, and that includes ovals. John Force, 12th overall best drivers of all time? Now that's funny! :shakehead

Check it out and vote for yourself. Note, you don't have to vote for all 25 on their list....http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=130

cameraman
05-23-08, 05:20 PM
It is silly to compare people like Foyt and Senna. Who was better? Well they never raced each other so how they hell can anyone know? I have a feeling that if you had a time machine and you got many of these guys on a track together you would end up with a parade. They would all take the machines to their limit and nobody would have a clear advantage.

emjaya
05-23-08, 07:18 PM
No Brabham, but they find room for Mansell. :rolleyes:

RusH
05-23-08, 08:48 PM
File it under Syd Barrett's Greatest Hits.

extramundane
05-23-08, 09:13 PM
No Brabham, but they find room for Mansell. :rolleyes:

Must have been a wide list.

indyfan31
05-23-08, 09:26 PM
Big surprise is that they put {sigh} John Force above people like Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi, Alain Prost, Al Unser & Niki Lauda. I'd love to see John Force do a lap in any car on the old Nurburgring. :shakehead He probably doesn't even know how to drive stick. I won't even have him in the top 25,000 drivers of all time list, let alone 12th overall. :rolleyes: If I had to put money on him vs Milka Dunno or Marty Roth, it would be a no brainer on any race track where you actually have to DRIVE the car, and that includes ovals. John Force, 12th overall best drivers of all time? Now that's funny!

:gomer:
Force won 14 Championships in 15 years. I'd like to see how your hero Roth can handle 8000 horsepower at 300+ MPH.

Fio1
05-23-08, 10:08 PM
Force won 14 Championships in 15 years. I'd like to see how your hero Roth can handle 8000 horsepower at 300+ MPH.

Put him in the same car and I'm sure he'll do just as well. Better yet, let's put John Force behind the wheel of something he actually has to drive. To be honest, Force's engine builder should get the credit for the 14 championships, not the monkey strapped into the car, holding on, doing basically nothing for a 5 second race. :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
05-23-08, 10:53 PM
Squirt racers and oval hacks should not even be included in the top 1000 list.:shakehead

extramundane
05-23-08, 11:03 PM
Put him in the same car and I'm sure he'll do just as well. Better yet, let's put John Force behind the wheel of something he actually has to drive. To be honest, Force's engine builder should get the credit for the 14 championships, not the monkey strapped into the car, holding on, doing basically nothing for a 5 second race. :rofl:

Um, I might be with you if you picked someone who could actually f'n DRIVE. But Marty the One-Man Party? He'd probably do an immediate 90-degree turn into the light tree the first time he gave it more than 30% throttle.

oddlycalm
05-24-08, 01:01 AM
Coincidental that the 25 biggest douchebags in sports broadcast would dominated by ABC/ESPN...? :gomer: :thumdown: In the early days they would broadcast segments of a Can Am race and a figue 8 race at Iselip Speedway as if they were equal in stature. Never an entire race of course. Fast forward 50yrs and it hasn't changed much. Barking idiots that forget there's a race going on and a website that looks like something a Taiwan machine company would put up. It's almost like English is not their native language....:gomer:

oc

STD
05-24-08, 12:46 PM
To the thread title... Why?

opinionated ow
05-24-08, 12:54 PM
Shirley Muldowney but not John Force...wtf?

Don Quixote
05-24-08, 01:12 PM
Bobby Unser has 6 first place votes. :gomer:

Rogue Leader
05-24-08, 02:58 PM

The recent influx of former Drag race mechanics becoming drivers in Drag racing has left me with the same opinion. If your engine builder can step in one day (Robert Hight) and do it just as fast as you can, then I think hes the one doing all the work, and there ain't much to the driving.

PS I have friends who drag race who talk about how "roundy round" racing requires no skill while they need so much!

dando
05-24-08, 04:45 PM
Gordon > Senna :laugh: :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

cameraman
05-24-08, 08:14 PM
Shirley Muldowney but not John Force...wtf?

Force is there.

Chaos
05-24-08, 08:24 PM
I suppose these lists are good for debates, but not much else. They're also missing 2-wheelers. Rossi, Agostini, Lawson, Rainey, to name a few...

Michaelhatesfans
05-25-08, 01:16 AM
No Danica??? The outrage!!!:flame:

opinionated ow
05-25-08, 03:53 AM
I suppose these lists are good for debates, but not much else. They're also missing 2-wheelers. Rossi, Agostini, Lawson, Rainey, to name a few...

doohan, beattie, sheen

Pilgrims Drop
05-25-08, 02:51 PM
Not a single rally driver... :(

Fio1
05-25-08, 11:39 PM
Not a single rally driver... :(

Travis Pastrana was 26th.

Chaos
05-26-08, 10:08 AM
I also want to add John Surtees to the mix. He won World Championships on 2-wheels AND 4-wheels. No one else can make that claim.

Chaos
05-26-08, 10:09 AM
doohan, beattie, sheen

Forgive my ignorance. Who is Beattie? I've heard of Doohan (quite silly of me to omit him from the list - he won 5 500cc's in a row) and Sheen, but not Beattie...

opinionated ow
05-26-08, 11:11 AM
Forgive my ignorance. Who is Beattie? I've heard of Doohan (quite silly of me to omit him from the list - he won 5 500cc's in a row) and Sheen, but not Beattie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Beattie

Basically he was very good in the mid 1990s but crashed too much. He jumped in an Agressor midget with a hawk engine just recently and set very fast lap times too.

oddlycalm
05-26-08, 03:16 PM
DP

Ankf00
05-27-08, 01:53 AM
doohon and vale for sure. rainey and lawson were there in competitive times as well

opinionated ow
05-27-08, 02:02 AM
Travis Pastrana was 26th.

In all honesty, what has Pastrana done in a car that is significant?

Indy
05-27-08, 09:15 AM
They are total shills. What's new?

Fio1
05-27-08, 10:52 AM

Nothing, but so has John Force!:rofl:

Fio1
05-27-08, 10:55 AM

Nothing. But, in all honesty what has John Force done more then any World Champion, Indy 500 race winner, CART race winner, Rally World Champion, Sebring 12 Hour winner, or Le Mans 24 hour winner? :saywhat: Actually, anyone who ever raced in F1, 90% of the drivers who raced Sebring, Le Mans, Indy and CART? So, what's the difference? Talent wise, Travis has 10,000 times more talent then that loud, overweight, dirty suit wearing, truck driver. I'd actually rate Steve Fossett more then John Force in talent and courage.

indyfan31
05-27-08, 05:43 PM
Nothing. But, in all honesty what has John Force done more then any World Champion, Indy 500 race winner, CART race winner, Rally World Champion, Sebring 12 Hour winner, or Le Mans 24 hour winner? :saywhat: Actually, anyone who ever raced in F1, 90% of the drivers who raced Sebring, Le Mans, Indy and CART? So, what's the difference? Talent wise, Travis has 10,000 times more talent then that loud, overweight, dirty suit wearing, truck driver. I'd actually rate Steve Fossett more then John Force in talent and courage.

Wow, you've really got a woody for this guy, don't you. :laugh: