PDA

View Full Version : WooHoo!

Sean Malone
05-23-08, 12:20 PM
My company just announced a new policy change to business casual dress! Yeah! No more stinkin' ties!!!! I'm free I tell ya, free!!!!

Sometimes it's the little things in life. :)

opinionated ow
05-23-08, 12:26 PM
i'm secretly hoping qantas will follow the lead of all its local competitors in tt regard!:cool:

nrc
05-23-08, 12:28 PM
I'm officially an old fart because I tell stories about how we used to wear ties every day and amost everyone had an ash tray on their desk.

dando
05-23-08, 12:34 PM
My company just announced a new policy change to business casual dress! Yeah! No more stinkin' ties!!!! I'm free I tell ya, free!!!!

Dude. We gots peeps wearing shorts around here....and many who should not. Just sayin'... ;)

Congrats. Welcome to the 90's. :cool:

-Kevin

chop456
05-23-08, 12:35 PM
NRC scoping out the talent at his first job.

http://pinedakrch.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/univac-1110-500-unisys.jpg

(We had the same exact raised floors at our last space). :laugh:

dando
05-23-08, 12:35 PM
I'm officially an old fart because I tell stories about how we used to wear ties every day and amost everyone had an ash tray on their desk.

My first office job in the 80s was @ Chase downtown. They had stacks and stacks of "odorless" ash trays in the backroom since they had just eliminated smoking @ desks, but they did have a conference room for smoking. Damn near impossible to conduct a meeting in that room. :irked:

-Kevin

cameraman
05-23-08, 12:36 PM

One of the benefits of academic research is there is no dress code short of public indecency laws. I've been wearing blue jeans & sneakers to work for 20 years now.

KLang
05-23-08, 01:03 PM
Wow, I didn't know anyone outside of sales still wore tie to work regularly. :eek:

I remember those days. We even had booze at the office Christmas and New Years parties.

cameraman
05-23-08, 01:07 PM
We even had booze at the office Christmas and New Years parties.

Ummm, we still do...

extramundane
05-23-08, 01:33 PM
My first office job in the 80s was @ Chase downtown. They had stacks and stacks of "odorless" ash trays in the backroom since they had just eliminated smoking @ desks, but they did have a conference room for smoking. Damn near impossible to conduct a meeting in that room. :irked:

7-8 years ago, when I was consulting, my major client was the North American HQ of an international tobacco company. Needless to say, they didn't follow the prevailing trend of non-smoking offices. God knows I've spent too much of my life in sleazy dive bars and clubs, but I've never encountered a level of smokiness in my life that compared to this office. If I had to work onsite all day long, i typically made a beeline straight to the shower when I got home. My girlfriend at the time was a smoker and even she couldn't stand it. :saywhat:

Wow, I didn't know anyone outside of sales still wore tie to work regularly. :eek:

Yeah, when you work for an educational institution that values outward appearances more than anything else, ties are mandatory. I swear they'd make the maintenance department wear dress pants and ties if they thought they wouldn't spark a mutiny.

Gnam
05-23-08, 01:34 PM
No more stinkin' ties!!!! I'm free I tell ya, free!!!!
Yes, but a suit and tie can add an air of respectability. At least from a distance. ;)

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3406/bluesbrosha6.jpg

cameraman
05-23-08, 01:39 PM
Yeah, when you work for an educational institution that values outward appearances more than anything else, ties are mandatory. I swear they'd make the maintenance department wear dress pants and ties if they thought they wouldn't spark a mutiny.

I take it you do not work for a state university.

extramundane
05-23-08, 01:56 PM
I take it you do not work for a state university.

Uppity, whitebread private school. The kind where kids get new 535s & H2s for Sweet Sixteen. :shakehead

Ankf00
05-23-08, 02:13 PM
but the bitches are hot. s'all I'm saying...

I'm somewhere between cameraman and Malone on the dress scale. Jeans, sneakers, and T's every day would be fine outside of customer meetings, shorts & flips on fridays. Dallas was strict business cas but I still did nasa nerd there. Here it's back to 100% nasa nerdness :)

I remember those days. We even had booze at the office Christmas and New Years parties.
apparently these guys used to have a beer can dispenser in the lobby. mfrs.

Sean Malone
05-23-08, 02:18 PM
Ummm, we still do...

Can you bring your wife/girlfreind? I haven't been able to for 10 years. Although, I wouldn't want to bring them both anyway. :) *rim shot*.

cameraman
05-23-08, 02:22 PM
Seeing as how this is Utah you can bring your wives if you wish.

ChampcarShark
05-23-08, 05:43 PM
Private state employment agency.

We won some we lost some.

No longer have to wear a tie :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
but we no longer have a casual friday, so no more jeans on friday. :thumdown:

WickerBill
05-23-08, 06:47 PM
I can completely understand how important this is to you. It seems minor, but it really does change how you feel about going to work in the morning.

I haven't worn a tie since my mom's funeral -- including my dad's remarriage, which pissed him off to no end.

I'm decent, I'm modest, I'm clean. Beyond that, what the heck does anyone care what I'm wearing? I'm not running for office.

SteveH
05-23-08, 11:02 PM
I have my office in my house. I'd have to dress up for it to be considered casual. :D

Cam
05-23-08, 11:19 PM
I have my office in my house. I'd have to dress up for it to be considered casual. :D

Does your employer know about the surfing for pr0n while at work thang? :D

Andrew Longman
05-23-08, 11:30 PM
My company just announced a new policy change to business casual dress!

I feel for you. When I was a corporate puke and our clients showed up as if they were headed to the beach and I was in a suit, I felt like I was stuck in 1980s time machine.

Word of caution though. With liberation come the inevitable backlash. The women will go to capris and tube tops which some folks will find objectionable. The men will be barred from Hawaiian shirts and flip flops. Next you'll be forking out big bucks for equally expensive but tieless stylish wear from Joseph A Banks to comply with what always seems to be an even more prescriptive dress code.

Me, most days I don't have to be out of my Jammies until 3. When I'm with a client, I'm still wearing $500 worth of clothes but it is either biz caz or formal, depending on the client's culture.

And to tell you the truth, once I didn't have to wear a tie, I liked wearing a tie at times just to make some outrageous personal fashion statement. Not being limited to banker/IBM norms has its advantages. :D

oddlycalm
05-24-08, 12:36 AM
Word of caution though. With liberation come the inevitable backlash. The women will go to capris and tube tops which some folks will find objectionable. The men will be barred from Hawaiian shirts and flip flops. Next you'll be forking out big bucks for equally expensive but tieless stylish wear from Joseph A Banks to comply with what always seems to be an even more prescriptive dress code.

Me, most days I don't have to be out of my Jammies until 3. When I'm with a client, I'm still wearing $500 worth of clothes but it is either biz caz or formal, depending on the client's culture.

And to tell you the truth, once I didn't have to wear a tie, I liked wearing a tie at times just to make some outrageous personal fashion statement. Not being limited to banker/IBM norms has its advantages. :D With the exception of customer meetings we're big on Hawaiian shirts. Like you I'm in warmups all day and like you I like to wear a suit once in a while.

Our holiday dinner had been catered by a local high end restaurant with an open bar in an elegant room in the beautifully restored Governor Hotel, but we switched gears to a casual river cruise in recent years. I preferred the hotel because anyone getting too silly could get a room and sleep it off.

oc

eiregosod
05-24-08, 07:19 AM
lose the tie= freedumb and no longer a slave :D:rofl:

Spicoli
05-24-08, 07:30 AM
wise man once say:

Son, you don't need a job, you need an income.

:thumbup:

Sean Malone
05-24-08, 09:32 AM
Andrew you are so right. I told my wife of the policy and she said "great, now you get a new wardrobe!".

It's not just the tie itself, it's the entire regiment that I was 'tied' too. The weekly cycle of taking my white button downs and slacks to the dry cleaners and picking them up. Alternating so that I had enough shirts for the time the cleaners took (about three days) to do them. Coordinating what tie with what slacks and shoes (everything goes with white!). Now it's polo shirts and khaki's everyday! Jeans on Friday. WooHoo!

TravelGal
05-24-08, 12:00 PM
Andrew you are so right. I told my wife of the policy and she said "great, now you get a new wardrobe!".

It's not just the tie itself, it's the entire regiment that I was 'tied' too. The weekly cycle of taking my white button downs and slacks to the dry cleaners and picking them up. Alternating so that I had enough shirts for the time the cleaners took (about three days) to do them. Coordinating what tie with what slacks and shoes (everything goes with white!). Now it's polo shirts and khaki's everyday! Jeans on Friday. WooHoo!

And who cleans THEM, may I ask. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I remember when TravelGuy's company switched to Friday casual. Eventually, many noted here, that had to be adjusted a little because many people's idea of casual was something you would wear on the 3rd day at the beach.

Still, there is something much more "cooperative" for lack of a better word about being able to choose your own clothes. I mean, most people began doing that by the age of 10.

Ankf00
05-24-08, 02:25 PM
Next you'll be forking out big bucks for equally expensive but tieless stylish wear from Joseph A Banks to comply with what always seems to be an even more prescriptive dress code.

You know how I know you're old?

:D

SteveH
05-24-08, 02:30 PM
Does your employer know about the surfing for pr0n while at work thang? :D

Uh, you say that likes its a bad thing....... :eek:

oddlycalm
05-24-08, 06:03 PM
It's not just the tie itself, it's the entire regiment that I was 'tied' too. The weekly cycle of taking my white button downs and slacks to the dry cleaners and picking them up. Alternating so that I had enough shirts for the time the cleaners took (about three days) to do them.
All very well, but did you stop to think how much your dry cleaner will miss your special relationship....? :gomer:

oc

morgahorse
05-25-08, 11:02 AM
I wear brown every day to work and if the weather is nice I can wear shorts (brown) if I want. I could never work in an office, couldn't sit still that long and I'd go crazy being cooped up all day.

dando
05-25-08, 12:46 PM
I wear brown every day to work and if the weather is nice I can wear shorts (brown) if I want. I could never work in an office, couldn't sit still that long and I'd go crazy being cooped up all day.

What can Brown do for you? ;)

-Kevin

morgahorse
05-25-08, 04:03 PM
What can Brown do for you? ;)

-Kevin

Big Brown can win more races than Danica and run a more interesting race.

And since the wife wanted to see a picture of the horse, we figured a google image search would get some good pictures. Well, if you do a search for "Big Brown," then you may want to have the safe search option on. :saywhat:

chop456
05-26-08, 01:54 AM
You know how I know you're old?

"Stylish" and "Jos. A. Bank" in the same sentence? :D