PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T VW failure

Spicoli
05-22-08, 10:32 PM
Yep, just happened to my brother in law, V-Dub denied claim. Engine sludge, didn't adhere to very strict synthetic only oil changes, yadda yadda yadda. Googling shows no resolution, etc.

2002 Passat. Bad shape, Dealer quoting 8500 replacement fact auth motor.

Anyone got any love on this deal?

btw - told him not to buy it. paid cash up front, :gomer:

Sean Malone
05-22-08, 10:33 PM
Extramundane can share the veedub lub. :)

Spicoli
05-22-08, 10:37 PM

sweet. how much beers. :carb day:

TravelGal
05-23-08, 01:06 AM
If he doesn't care about adhering to strict engine oil change regs, why does he give a hoot about a factory authorized replacement motor? Just sayin..........

chop456
05-23-08, 01:46 AM
VW dealer service is an oxymoron. What did he expect? If you don't know a good independent mechanic and you're allergic to wrenches, don't buy one. I've changed my own oil since the factory included maintenance ended at 24,000 miles because I can't even trust them to do that correctly. The best cases I've heard about are the ones where people have all their services done at the dealer, have a failure and then the warranty claim is denied because the dealer was using the wrong kind of oil. :laugh: A lot of their dealers used Castrol SynTec for years even though it didn't meet the API spec in the owner's manual.

I'd be very suspect of their assertion that the motor needs to be replaced, too. What exactly failed?

Ziggy
05-23-08, 02:55 AM
/\The big metal thing under the front flap, not long after you turn it on it gets really, really hot. /\

extramundane
05-23-08, 03:29 AM

Nah. About 18 friends can, though. Every damn one of them had motor problems. No Beetlycars for me, thx.

Spicoli
05-23-08, 07:51 AM
My sister, who I also advised not to get one of these things, leased a Passat wagon 1.8, noticed the problem, then had the engine flushed and promptly turned it on off lease. Stiuation resolved.

Bro in law, is titel holder, and worse, a paranoid, overly obsessive type person. This dude spends 6 hours on line researching paint brands for his shome. Nice guy tho.

What is wrong with the car? lemme see what the further details are, but he said its the typical "oil sludge" issue, and the mechanic offered that bearing are damaged - whatever that means. I will find out more.

The situation for himn is: The car is paid for, I assume he would not go for the factory 8500 offer, and should be able to procure something half that price or better. I suggested he take it to "Big Jim" my low end resource for body work and other stuff. Maybe he can quick fix it? Enough to get it to a trade in? Either way he says his value went from 10-12k with good engine to a $1500 offer from the dealer as-is.

Bro is also paranoid that VW has "tagged" this car/engine as a problem and they have soem secret database somewher following his every move unless he gives them 8500 for new motor. :saywhat:

Bee-Dubs: not for paranoid obsessive lawyers.:laugh:

Don Quixote
05-23-08, 09:56 AM
A woman in my office had engine problems with her 02 Jetta when she drove it fromm Grand Junction to Denver with no oil. :gomer: Against advice from everybody she asked, she had the dealer replace the engine for $8k. Six weeks later she was driving it again, only to have the automatic transmission go out. I don't know how much that cost but I am guessing 3-4k. Ouch.

Sean O'Gorman
05-23-08, 10:22 AM
Why anyone would spend more than 5-6k on basic transportation unless they needed a minivan or tow vehicle is beyond me.

Of course, I did just spend an hour test driving an S2000 yesterday, but that isn't exactly basic transportation. :p

chop456
05-23-08, 11:43 AM
Why anyone would spend more than 5-6k on basic transportation unless they needed a minivan or tow vehicle is beyond me.

Because some people can afford to spend more than $6k for a car and don't like junk? :gomer:

extramundane
05-23-08, 11:49 AM

The same reason most people don't live in their parents' basement 'til 25.

Sean O'Gorman
05-23-08, 11:58 AM
Because some people can afford to spend more than $6k for a car and don't like junk? :gomer:

My car isn't a junk. It has 130k on it and I've had no problems on it except one of the fog lights stopped working, and people keep rear-ending me.

Because they like to waste money? My point is for the most part, a car is a car. Why spend alot of money on something that is going to depreciate or break, when you can spend a fraction of that, and just scrap the thing if anything major happens?

nrc
05-23-08, 12:26 PM
Because they like to waste money? My point is for the most part, a car is a car. Why spend alot of money on something that is going to depreciate or break, when you can spend a fraction of that, and just scrap the thing if anything major happens?

Because people are different. They value things differently and enjoy different things.

Sean O'Gorman
05-23-08, 12:47 PM
Yeah, but we're not talking about an enjoyable car here, we're talking about a Passat.

extramundane
05-23-08, 01:21 PM
Because they like to waste money?

So...if spending more than $5K on a car is wasting money, what is burning a metric shitton of gas autocrossing?

Sean O'Gorman
05-23-08, 01:34 PM
A hobby that also happens to be a waste of money. No different than any other form of racing.

Ankf00
05-23-08, 01:39 PM
A lot of their dealers used Castrol SynTec for years even though it didn't meet the API spec in the owner's manual.

A lot still do. I mean, really?

off topic: do full synthetics still come from the crude refining process?

Ankf00
05-23-08, 01:41 PM

winner.

Sean O'Gorman
05-23-08, 02:06 PM
1) I moved out at 23. 2) That was over a year ago. Sorry for not wanting a pile of debt when I finished school. :rolleyes:

Insomniac
05-23-08, 02:31 PM
Because people are different. They value things differently and enjoy different things.

Don't forget, because you can. :)

Easy
05-23-08, 02:49 PM
Yeah, but we're not talking about an enjoyable car here, we're talking about a Passat.

Have to disagree (unless we're only talking Passats), a daily commute calls for more than cloth seats and Delco speakers. Also, long drives are much more enjoyable in a Type-S than the Cavalier I drove during and after college. I also have full confidence I will make it to my destination.

As far as VWs, I have a few friends that work or used to for VW Credit/Audi Finance and got sweet deals on short term (6-12 month) leases, including A4s, Q7s, Jettas, Passats, an A6 and of course Beetles. None have ever bought a VW product when actually purchasing a car.

cameraman
05-23-08, 02:51 PM
off topic: do full synthetics still come from the crude refining process?

Ultimately yes. The alkenes (and other bits depending on brand) used to make full synthetics usually come from a cracking process that is more closely related to the plastics & organic chemical industries.

Andrew Longman
05-23-08, 02:54 PM

Of course, I did just spend an hour test driving an S2000 yesterday, but that isn't exactly basic transportation. :p

I have a colleague who routinely buys Bentleys, Carerras and now the new Audi super car. He drops six figures on each and rarely loses money. At worst, he claims his average monthly cost nets out to less than most people's car loan.

You just need the major coin to get into that game

Insomniac
05-23-08, 03:24 PM
I have a colleague who routinely buys Bentleys, Carerras and now the new Audi super car. He drops six figures on each and rarely loses money. At worst, he claims his average monthly cost nets out to less than most people's car loan.

You just need the major coin to get into that game

So you're saying those cars don't depreciate as much?

racermike
05-23-08, 05:44 PM
Have him start checking wrecking yards.

Some good engine deals to be found, especially on VW's mashed up by teenagers

ChampcarShark
05-23-08, 06:28 PM
I miss the old reliable, vw sedan beetle. Manufactured as of model 2000 cross the border, but unable to import to the US. Not safe enough they argue.

I say too reliable to meet US standards.

TravelGal
05-24-08, 04:22 AM
I miss the old reliable, vw sedan beetle. Manufactured as of model 2000 cross the border, but unable to import to the US. Not safe enough they argue.

I say too reliable to meet US standards.

:rofl::rofl:

Indy
05-24-08, 12:09 PM
Love my Passat. Excellent ride, fun engine, good mileage. But I don't plan on trying to keep it running forever.

Spicoli
05-30-08, 09:34 PM
any love on this? he still has no direction.

Methanolandbrats
05-30-08, 09:44 PM
any love on this? he still has no direction.

What was the diagnosis on the motor? Step one is to get it away from the dealer.

Spicoli
05-30-08, 10:08 PM
What was the diagnosis on the motor? Step one is to get it away from the dealer.

sludge. failure.

ad yes, get the **** away from Tom Wood dealer. yes.